Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,227 members, 7,842,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! (26935 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Famous Quotes By Ojukwu / History Lesson 2: Gideon Orkar Broadcast Message-unedited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:21am On Nov 16, 2009
Bestialities and indignities of all kinds were visited on Biafrans in 1966. In Ikeja Barracks (Western Nigeria) Biafrans were forcibly fed on a mixture of human urine and faeces. In Northern Nigeria numerous Biafran house-wives and nursing mothers were raped before their husbands and children. Young girls were abducted from their homes, working places and schools and forced into sexual intercourse with sick, demented and leprous men.

Mr. Eric Spiff (German War correspondence Eyewitness, 1967
Again back to the topic!

very sad. Could have been averted if no war actually happened
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 7:23am On Nov 16, 2009
"There has been genocide, for example on the occasion of the 1966 massacres , Two areas have suffered badly [from the fighting]. Firstly the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men. According to eyewitnesses of that massacre the Nigerian commander ordered the execution of every Ibo male over the age of ten years.
" Monsignor Georges (sent down on a fact-finding mission by His holiness the Pope reporting his finding in Vatican Rome
Le Monde (French Evening newspaper) April 5, 1968. ",
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 7:24am On Nov 16, 2009
Beaf:

[size=14pt]All you need is a swastika.[/size]

And a Hitler mustache!
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:24am On Nov 16, 2009
Until now efforts to relieve the Biafran people have been thwarted by the desire of the central government of Nigeria to pursue total and unconditional victory and by the fear of the Ibo people that surrender means wholesale atrocities and genocide. But genocide is what is taking place right now - and starvation is the grim reaper. This is not the time to stand on ceremony, or to go through channels or to observe the diplomatic niceties,  The destruction of an entire people is an immoral objective even in the most moral of wars. It can never be justified; it can never be condoned."
Mr. Richard Nixon, September 9, 1968- During the Presidential Campaign.

Of course he must demonize those Africans and their tribal politics while politicking in the beautiful USA. Not surprising, Nixon probably cannot locate nigeria on a map. He is just stating what they told him. I am glad he acknowledged it was an attempt by the government to pursue total and unconditional victory. Seems nixon, doesn't know what genocide means  grin

You also forget the concept of "political rhetoric." Obviously the international community wants nigeria to stop the war (they dont care about the outcome or igbo people)- what better way to end it than demonize the government.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Onlytruth(m): 7:26am On Nov 16, 2009
^^^
Carter
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:27am On Nov 16, 2009
There has been genocide, for example on the occasion of the 1966 massacres , Two areas have suffered badly [from the fighting]. Firstly the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men. According to eyewitnesses (from which tribe again) of that massacre the Nigerian commander ordered the execution of every Ibo male over the age of ten years.
" Monsignor Georges (sent down on a fact-finding mission by His holiness the Pope reporting his finding in Vatican Rome
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:28am On Nov 16, 2009
^^^
Carter Huh

stream of consciousness grin grin grin
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 7:29am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

Of course he must demonize those Africans and their tribal politics while politicking in the beautiful USA. Not surprising, Carter probably cannot locate nigeria on a map. He is just stating what they told him. I am glad he acknowledged it was an attempt by the government to pursue total and unconditional victory. Seems carter, doesn't know what genocide means  grin

When did Nixon become "Carter" na?
Look at our self acclaimed super intelligent being making a fool of himself (or herself?).

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:31am On Nov 16, 2009

When did Nixon become "Carter" na?
Look at our self acclaimed super intelligent being making a fool of himself (or herself?).

That is not the point  grin grin grin, I was doing school work at the same time. I am writing a paper on Carter. Yes, i know they are not the same. Typographical errors and intelligence are not the same- am i making you uncomfortable?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 7:34am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

There has been genocide, for example on the occasion of the 1966 massacres , Two areas have suffered badly [from the fighting]. Firstly the region between the towns of Benin and Asaba where only widows and orphans remain, Federal troops having for unknown reasons massacred all the men. According to eyewitnesses [size=14pt](from which tribe again)[/size] of that massacre the Nigerian commander ordered the execution of every Ibo male over the age of ten years.

Even a half brained fool should know that Murtala Mohamed carried out that massacre. I hope you ain't brain dead?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:36am On Nov 16, 2009
ven a half brained fool should know that Murtala Mohamed carried out that massacre

Not interested. This was one commander. Please find out the meaning of genocide. Does one horrible man symbolize his whole ethnic group?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 7:39am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

Not interested. This was one commander. Please find out the meaning of genocide. Does one horrible man symbolize his whole ethnic group?

You're the "clever" guy who thinks so; you really are funny. Read your own comments.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:46am On Nov 16, 2009
You're the "clever" guy who thinks so; you really are funny. Read your own comments.

So did murtala continue his evil machinations against the ibo:

However, Many northerners saw the reluctance of Ironsi to prosecute the coupist and the fact that the army was giving exceptional privileges to the coupist as an indication of Ironsi's support for the killings. Consequently northern politicians and civil servants mounted pressure upon northern officers such as Mohammed to avenge the coup. In the face of provocation from the southern dominated media which repeatedly showed humiliating posters and cartoons of the slain northern politicians, on the night of July 29, 1966, northern soldiers at Abeokuta barracks mutinied, thus precipitating a counter-coup, which may very well have been in the planning stages. According to most southern sources Muhammad at first intended to use the counter-coup as a step towards the secession of northern Nigeria, but later dropped this demand when the economic difficulties of a potential Northern Nigerian State were pointed out to him by civil servants and British diplomats.

even mallams think b4 acting brashly like cattle.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 7:49am On Nov 16, 2009
^
What are you quoting? Wheres the link? Did you make any of that up?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:52am On Nov 16, 2009
According to observers and foreign journalists, he lined up any able-bodied men he could find along a wall and had them face a firing squad. Their crime seems to have been aiding and abetting of the Biafran troops by allowing them into the midwest due their common Igbo heritage, even though the midwest was still in Nigeria. To further compound matters, there were tales of women (even some who were pregnant) being raped and then killed. Mohammed steadfastly denied these claims during the war, but conceded after the war that his troops (probably some uneducated tribalistic mallams) may have gotten carried away. He never proffered an apology, however[b].(Wetin commander go do when he is commanding crazy people)

Of course this would never have happened if the consequences of a civil war were well-thought out
by the so-called ikemba and his crew grin grin grin.

Biko, do you want me to go on?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:53am On Nov 16, 2009
Clapham, Christopher (1985). Third World Politics: An Introduction.

Pickup the book and read
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 7:58am On Nov 16, 2009
Also please read the autobiography of the ikemba himself. Do so b4 u state everything so confidently- quite a brilliant man I admit, one of my heroes, and what i like about him is his truthfulness, even if the truth hurts
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 7:58am On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

Clapham, Christopher (1985). Third World Politics: An Introduction.

Pickup the book and read

When you quote something, give sources at least. Page what?
Anyways I have thoroughly enjoyed toying with your evil brain. I found it rather puny, lost, dark and grubby; not worth much.

Ciao.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:03am On Nov 16, 2009
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:14am On Nov 16, 2009
Cowardly Leader

Biafra's independence was recognized by Tanzania, Zambia, Gabon, and the Ivory Coast (Of course those who have not kept their houses in order, are always the first to talk), but it was compromised in the eyes of most African states by the approval of South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, and Portugal (Black people haters, why will they not recognize you). Britain extended diplomatic support and limited military assistance to the federal government. The Soviet Union became an important source of military equipment for Nigeria. Modern Soviet-built warplanes, flown by Egyptian and British pilots, (This is why I love white people they fund your wars, and then screw you up at the same time grin) interdicted supply flights and inflicted heavy casualties during raids on Biafran urban centers. In line with its policy of noninvolvement, the United States prohibited the sale of military goods to either side while continuing to recognize the FMG.

In October 1969, Ojukwu appealed for United Nations (UN) mediation for a cease-fire as a prelude to peace negotiations. But the federal government insisted on Biafra's surrender, and Gowon observed that "rebel leaders had made it clear that this is a fight to the finish and that no concession will ever satisfy them." (Critical reading suggest that concessions must have been made) In December federal forces opened a four-pronged offensive, involving 120,000 troops, that sliced Biafra in half. When Owerri fell on January 6, 1970, Biafran resistance collapsed. Ojukwu fled to the Ivory Coast, leaving his chief of staff, Philip Effiong, behind as "officer administering the government." (Coward  shocked shocked shocked). Effiong (Smart guy) called for an immediate, unconditional cease-fire January 12 and submitted to the authority of the federal government at ceremonies in Lagos.

http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/bravo/biafra1967.htm
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:21am On Nov 16, 2009
Pompous and Selfish Leader

While living in magnificent comfort with his bleaching wife  cry

Forgiven by the Nigerian authorities in the early 1980s, he admits to no remorse for the events of the civil war.

I don't feel responsible at all. I did the best I could
Chief Ojukwu
"At 33 I reacted as a brilliant 33 year old," he says (so full of himself). "At 66 it is my hope that if I had to face this I should also confront it as a brilliant 66 year old.

"Responsibility for what went on - how can I feel responsible in a situation in which I put myself out and saved the people from genocide? (Then he ran away like a coward to cote d'ivoire) No, I don't feel responsible at all. I[b] did the best I could[/b]." shocked shocked shocked

For the men who fought for the Biafran cause, defeat has been followed by 30 years of humiliation. The wounded veterans line up in their wheelchairs alongside the main roads in Enugu, begging for money from passers-by.

Men like former Sergeant Michael Okafo believe they are being punished for fighting on the losing side cry cry.

He wants food, he wants to educate his children and he wants shelter. He wants to be treated like any other Nigerian (Not biafran).

embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/596712.stm

A Law graduate of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Odumegwu-Ojukwu is now married to the Ikemba, and the couple have children together. She divides her time between her home and cosmetics business Bianca Blend, in Enugu.

i hope she is using it to take of the lives wrecked by lipsrsealed gbim
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:25am On Nov 16, 2009
An Igbo official, Ukapi "Tony" Asika, was named administrator of the new East Central State, comprising the Igbo heartland. Asika had remained loyal to the federal government during the civil war, but as a further act of conciliation, his all-Igbo cabinet included members who had served under the secessionist regime. Asika was unpopular with many Igbo, who considered him a traitor, and his administration was characterized as inept and corrupt (consisting of course of members of the secessionist movement). In three years under his direction, however, the state government (The igbo preferred war instead) achieved the rehabilitation of 70 percent of the industry incapacitated during the war. The federal government granted funds to cover the state's operating expenses for an interim period, and much of the war damage was repaired. Social services and public utilities slowly were reinstituted, although not to the prewar levels

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2009
Alleged Genocide undecided

Because charges of genocide had fueled international sympathy for Biafra (Also known as igbo propaganda)

Now I know why you want to make this a so-called genocide

, the FMG allowed a team of international experts to observe the surrender and to look for evidence. Subsequently, the observers testified that they found no evidence of genocide or systematic destruction of property, although there was considerable evidence of famine and death as a result of the war. Furthermore, under Gowon's close supervision, the federal government ensured that Igbo civilians would not be treated as defeated enemies. A program was launched to reintegrate the Biafran rebels into a unified Nigeria. A number of public officials who had "actively counselled, aided, or abetted" secession were dismissed, but a clear distinction was made between them and those who had simply carried out their duties. Igbo personnel soon were being reenlisted in the federal armed forces. T[b]here were no trials and few people were imprisoned[/b]. Ojukwu, in exile, was made the scapegoat (To show you that this article is unbiased), but efforts to have him extradited failed.

Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:33am On Nov 16, 2009
Igbo Tribalism

In the mid-1960s economic and political instability and ethnic friction characterized Nigerian public life. In the mostly Hausa north, resentment against the more prosperous, educated Igbo minority erupted into violence. In September 1966, some 10,000 to 30,000 Igbo people were massacred in the Northern Region, and perhaps 1,000,000 fled as refugees to the Igbo-dominated east. Non-Igbos were then expelled from the Eastern Region (Even tribes who did not harm you).

tribalist  undecided undecided undecided
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:38am On Nov 16, 2009
Igbo paranoia  undecided undecided undecided

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/14/world/few-traces-of-the-civil-war-linger-in-biafra.html

In 1966, anti-Ibo rioting, largely by Hausas, killed about 30,000 Ibos and created about a million Ibo refugees. During the ensuing civil war, it was fear of renewed killing that kept many Ibos fighting.

But after Biafra's collapse, the massacres did not take place. Yakubu Gowon, then Nigeria's President, declared a policy of ''no victor and no vanquished.''

''I must say Nigeria has done a good job,'' said Benjamin Odogwu, an Ibo who served as Biafra's Director of Military Intelligence shocked shocked shocked. ''The war was fought in all viciousness (very peace loving igbos). We were surprised by the reception, the embraces.''

How won't you be surprised when you were fed propaganda. probably the guy is in lagos, enjoying himself grin grin grin. Or maybe na eziachi?
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 8:43am On Nov 16, 2009
Beaf read, pro Anti read, Dede 1 read, Onlytruth read, Eziachi read, All of you read. You asked for evidence, read.

As we yoruba people say "are (listen), are (listen)"

Truth is definitely dead.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 9:05am On Nov 16, 2009
Within Eastern Nigeria (Biafra), General Ojukwu’s tactics led to a quick alienation of many talented Ibos. From the very beginning, he set out to establish his authority with a heavy hand. Under his orders Dr. Michael Okpara, the popular former civilian Premier of Eastern Nigeria, was clamped in jail. So were a number of his ministers. The only notable exception was the former Attorney General, Mr. C. C. Mojekwu, Ojukwu’s kinsman, whom he retained and made Biafra’s Minister of Interior

I like, I like  grin grin grin, Igbo people were you dey, see how your leaders are the cause of your problems

Avid for power, he paid more attention to the politics of the war than to the one basic question of security. Biafra’s efforts were trimmed to his size and through much of the conflict reflected his own strength as well as his own weaknesses. This personification of the struggle and the lethal cloud of illusion, which it created around him, were to persist until the end. Thus on the same day as his more down-to-earth successor, General (Phillip) Effiong, signed the formal act of Biafra’s surrender, General Ojukwu was still declaring: “While I live, Biafra lives. If I am no more, it would be only a matter of time for the noble concept to be swept into oblivion.

You be God?

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=9421
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by SEFAGO(m): 9:26am On Nov 16, 2009
So could you guys stop the selective history?  embarassed embarassed embarassed

As fela said "trouble dey sleep, yanga wake am"
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 16, 2009
i really do not understand all these noise making, you are all supposed to be intelligent, if somebody post an untruth, you show it up to be so with facts of your own. before someboby else starts rambling, please take time to read up on what caused the biafran war. and if those things are still with us can we really speak of peace. if we had solved the problem in the beginning we would not have the niger delta issue. but most of us are just as dumb as the leaders we curse.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by citizenY(m): 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2009
In an earlier post, the hardship and losses suffered by our Igbo brethren was acknowledged.
It is necessary, after going through the posts so far to acknowledge that this is still an open sore.
I have always been of the belief that playing victim/oppressed has to stop at a certain point either
because it is developing a hollow ring or the argument is no more in tune with unraveling realities.
These realities are based on a mutually self destructive streak on the part of the accused and accuser
right from the onslaught of the first coup. There is no point denying these facts. Is it justified now to carry
a collective guilt or hold one party for the consequences of aggravated damage far and beyond the offending act?

There is merit in keeping the searchlight on this issue but .as fair comment, we must also expect and respect views
that are in conflict with any material that is presented. In addition, the internet has become a lazy man's platform
to throw jibes at others, insult our sensibilities and dish out whatever prejudice ,bigotry, and vitriol at persons who do not
share our views. This is not healthy for a good dialogue on sensitive national issues. For instance, all the guys
admonishing us to learn from the history of the Biafran civil war have not pointed at solutions to avert another. So what exactly
do you want. What is the solution or way foward. Put your demands on the table, lets discuss.

From what i can see, this thread is going stale. There is a polarisation where you have one group agreeing with each other and in the
process maintaining a dialogue among themselves with regular tackles against any opposing view. \Others pick avoidable flaws in the
statement/ presentations and turn a mountain into a mole hill. In some instances others are on watch to ensure that no adverse
mention is made of their clan.

As a way out, I agree with those calling on persons who feel aggrieved to use formal institutions either on the national or international arena
to seek redress. In so doing, I begin to wonder whether the Eziachi's and Udeze's and Onlytruth's of Nairaland are more patriotic that the present
crop of leaders and representatives of Eastern Nigeria at all levels of Nigerian society. I also wonder why those people outside Nairaland - i mean
voters- have not mandated their governors and senators to table bills and motions in respect of separation, reparation or any stament of collective
guilt they wish to extract from other Nigerians or from the government .

You cannot wish away what has happened and it is also dishonest to reject such request when you have not demanded for appeasement and it has been
rejected. So the question remains, what do you want? I therefore agree with those calling on Eziachi and co to open a formal national
platform for this debate, failing which we shall see them as paper tigers.

As i have earlier said, the civil war really happened, all sad events before and after the war and their consequences are accepted facts to the extent that each
national group has its grievances and everyone has learnt its lessons. We are not saying that you should not remind us but when you claim that you are the
victim then you are wrong . Playing victim to put your compatriots on the offensive is not fair, bad politics and does not show chivalry. If you feel strongly on
this matter, leave Nairaland and come out in the open. Let us support you, even by show of hands.
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by jona2: 5:28pm On Nov 16, 2009
SEFAGO:

Igbo Tribalism

tribalist  undecided undecided undecided
Re: HISTORY LESSON: Nigeria/Biafran Civil War Most Famous Quotes!! by Beaf: 5:53pm On Nov 16, 2009
uchmann:

i really do not understand all these noise making, you are all supposed to be intelligent, if somebody post an untruth, you show it up to be so with facts of your own. before someboby else starts rambling, please take time to read up on what caused the biafran war. and if those things are still with us can we really speak of peace. if we had solved the problem in the beginning we would not have the niger delta issue. but most of us are just as dumb as the leaders we curse.

Exactly!

There are serious problems with the way the union is handled. Rather than discuss our way out of tight spots, we always respond with a massacre. In recent times, there has been Odi, Anyiin, Gbeji, Zaki-Bian, Vaase, Tombia, Gbaramatu, Boko Haram etc. In the past, there was Asaba and other areas; the victims of these massacres are deeply traumatised and the "forget" switch that we want to apply to the victims just does not exist. Even if the Igbo's take this to an International court, concrete actions must be carried out by the FG if there is sincerity on its part.

These massacres are a macabre symptom of the things that are seriously wrong at the very heart of our union. We [size=14pt]desperately [/size] need to sort it out; the same wrong headed thinking is stopping us from developing. We must either draw each other closer or go our seperate ways. It will cost much less to sort things out than to reach for the massacre button like a colony of savages and sub-humans; one day those pushed to the wall will inevitably react (as is beginning to happen with the descendants of the civil war Igbo's and the ND minorities).

We cannot bury problems of such magnitude forever.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

What Are Some Pre Colonial Activities That Happened In Eastern Nigeria? / SUKUK Islamic Bond Is A Way To Islamize Nigeria Through Back Door –CAN / Udom Emmanuel Kicks Off State Industrialisation With Auto Assembly Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.