Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,716 members, 7,824,027 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed (510 Views)

Sagay: "Saraki, Dogara’s Allowances, An Explosive Issue, Will Blow Up Nigeria" / Obiano's Light Up Projects Across Onitsha Mega City- Pics / Residents Tie Tortoise To Their Electricity Pole To Scare Off PHCN Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by Solozzo(m): 4:43am On Dec 17, 2016
No doubt Nigeria is in darkness. All we do is blame, curse and fight PHCN, DISCOs, many Nigerians do not pay their bills and a lot divert, make illegal connection and expect power to come to us free.

We can assist PHCN and the DISCOs in making serious efforts in the following suggested tways:

1. Creating awareness that for us to get power more regularly we must play our role, pay bills, stop illegal connections; all radio and tv stations could create jingles and discussion programs to this effect
2. All states and Federal Govt to launch programmes such as light up Nigeria to enlighten the people, generate revenue to support energy production and transmission.
3. All banks, companies to pay energy contributions money based on their incomes. Celebrities to organize shows, dinners to raise funds. Rich individuals to contribute to help purchase transformers and other equipment in their streets and suburbs.everyone to donate as well.
4. Govt of every state to set money aside to support power just as they assist police regularly.
5. FG to probe and help reduce corruption in power sector
6. All houses to be fitted with prepaid meters to ensure all persons pay for service. This can be achieved in 5 years.

The
More suggestions welcomed. The key point is with self help we can get more light from the power sector.

1 Like

Re: Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by Omexonomy: 4:54am On Dec 17, 2016
Without seeing light i paid heavily every month to phcn and you still want me to support this bullcrap you just wrote. Where is fashola that insulted gej about power thru out gej tenure
Re: Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by Nobody: 5:27am On Dec 17, 2016
Omexonomy:
Without seeing light i paid heavily every month to phcn and you still want me to support this bullcrap you just wrote. Where is fashola that insulted gej about power thru out gej tenure

You are not seeing light because most Nigerians do not pay their bills.

As a result, the DISCOS do not have enough money to pay for the improvements needed to give you light.

In other words, you are one of the few Nigerians who is paying for the majority that does not pay.

If every Nigerian paid as heavily as you do, there might have been money for the much needed improvements.

And the OP is not supporting PMB or degrading GEJ. He is merely, like a good citizen, offering his suggestions on how power can be improved. He is on your side. It is just that you are too bitter about some election to see that.

So, what are your suggestions? (And don't say that the PHCN should be returned to government control.....GEJ was wise to privatize power...after all decades of inefficient govt control is why we are here)

@OP ......may you live long. Hope someone in govt and the DISCOS, GENCOS is reading this and taking note.
Re: Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by Nobody: 5:51am On Dec 17, 2016
Is there still phcn?
Re: Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by khadaffi(m): 7:07am On Dec 17, 2016
9jakohai:

You are not seeing light because most Nigerians do not pay their bills.

Did the Discos tell you this? If they did, it is a big lie. It is their duty as a private institution to ensure people pay for services rendered. Just imagine yourself asking people to pay for data they use.

9jakohai:

So, what are your suggestions? (And don't say that the PHCN should be returned to government control.....GEJ was wise to privatize power...after all decades of inefficient govt control is why we are here)

Please now appear to be sensible, what GEJ did was not privatalisation of power sector but was selling off government asset. Now just imagine if OBJ had sold off Nitel without allowing new telecoms into the country then and he calls it privatilisation. Did you think we will be where we are today in telecommunication?

In summary, if I have a way to boycot paying bills and get free light, I will gladly do it. This is recession period and everyone is struggling to survive including the govt. If the discos feel people are not paying bills. They know what to do. But I tell you the reason they are not concerned is because people are paying. I have never seen the Nepa office on my area empty for one day. Anytime I'm also driving past the zenith bank in my area, the section where they pay nepa bill is outside, I always see a queue there. I have never seen there empty.
Re: Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by nonjebose(m): 7:11am On Dec 17, 2016
Op, there are grave points you just missed out or failed to understand. The main problem starts with the GENCOS and not the DISCOS. Power generation is at an all time low. This is attributable to several reasons, one of which is restiveness in Niger Delta. Gas supply to Gencos have mostly been cut off. Some of these Gencos are only in name. Fraudulent practices were enshrined in the licensing or privatisation of the power sector, chiefly the Gencos.
Power sector is now in private hands, they should do business and get off their lasy asses. Prepaid meters should made available at competitive prices to consumers by Discos to stop all this nonsense estimated bill. The sharp practices of Discos has discouraged some consumers from jointly providing transformers
Re: Light Up Nigeria: How We can Support PHCN To Suceed by jamace(m): 7:19am On Dec 17, 2016
OP, let me tell you pointblank that those DISCOs do not want to supply power. They think it is business as usual to collect revenue without power. The citizens have realised their corrupt intent and refused to pay for non supplied power.

The DISCOs know that meters will not yield enough revenue because they are not supplying enough power hence their unmetered estimated billing system. Just imagine a DISCO staff giving you a monster bill and when you complain he will tell you that the estimated bill is the average calculation of consumption of your area. What nonsense and stealing trick is that?

Stop the excuse of bypassing and those nonsense stuff. The people are only fighting back to escape exploitation. Do you know that even well laid out estates have not been issued meters? Estates are places that can easily be monitored for any offence but why have they not been issued with meters?

OP, abeg park well. Those DISCOs are just out to exploit the masses.

(1) (Reply)

Fg To Close Abuja Airport For Six Weeks / Court Refuses To Order EFCC To Unseal Fayose’s Properties / Riversrerun : Wike Constitutes Judicial Commission.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.