Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate (9876 Views)

Meet Ikoyi Whistleblower: Speaks On EFCC, Reveals Assassination Attempt (Video) / Tell Magu To Leave Me, Trump Didn’t Go After Obama’s Wife - Patience Jonathan / Magu To Sue The Sun Newspaper, Denies Owning House In Maitama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Islie: 10:41pm On Dec 19, 2016
The State Security Service (SSS) sent two different and contradictory security reports to the Nigerian Senate on the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report today. While both reports stated that Mr. Magu had some “integrity issues,” they differed on the actions they suggest the upper chamber take on the confirmation of the EFCC boss. One of the reports suggested that clearing the anti-corruption fighter would spell danger for the administration’s anti-graft war.

The State Security Service (SSS) sent two different and contradictory security reports to the Nigerian Senate on the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), PREMIUM TIMES can authoritatively report today.

While both reports stated that Mr. Magu had some “integrity issues,” they differed on the actions they suggest the upper chamber take on the confirmation of the EFCC boss.

One of the reports suggested that clearing the anti-corruption fighter would spell danger for the administration’s anti-graft war.

The other described Mr. Magu as having performed excellently so far, and should, therefore, be favorably considered for the post of substantive chair of the EFCC.

Three senators told PREMIUM TIMES in separate interviews that the two reports were dated October 3, 2016, with one addressed to the acting clerk of the National Assembly, Mohammed Sani-Omolori, and the other to the Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Ita Enang.

The two reports were also signed by the same official, Folashade Bello, on behalf of the Director-General of the SSS, Lawal Daura.

The two documents were sent to the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki.

The senators, who requested not to be named, so they are not accused of divulging proceedings at a closed session, said both letters were read to lawmakers during the executive session held to decide the fate of Mr. Magu last Thursday.

“The two letters contain almost the same allegations against Magu,” one of the senators said. “But they are different in the recommendations made.

“While the report addressed to Ita Enang was dated August 25, 2016, the one to the acting clerk was dated September 21, 2016. But both were signed by the same Folashade Bello on behalf of Daura.”

Another Senator disclosed that in the letter written to Mr. Enang, the SSS stated that “although they found some adverse things about Magu, he should be cleared given his excellent performance. They said he should be given a chance to run the commission.”

However, the senator said, the same SSS in the report addressed to the acting clerk about a month later asked the Senate not to confirm Mr. Magu.

“That other report concluded by saying Magu is integrity-challenged and will constitute a liability to the anti-corruption stand of the Buhari administration,” he said. “We can’t understand why the SSS cannot get its act together to issue a single report and make the same recommendation.”

A third senator told PREMIUM TIMES the Senate decided not to confirm Mr. Magu because of the two contradictory reports.

“It is our position that given the two confusing reports, it is only the president that can decide whether he still wants the man to run the EFCC or not. The ball is in his court,” he said.

The spokesperson for the Senate, Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi, had told journalists on Thursday that the upper chamber decided against confirming Mr. Magu based on adverse security report from the SSS and that the Senate would write to the president intimating him of the decision.

Contacted on Monday for comments on the two contradictory reports the Senate received, Mr. Abdullahi said he would not join issue with anyone on the decision taken on the Magu affair.

“We have a moral, legal and constitutional duties to vet nominees, and that is what we did,” Mr. Abdullahi said. “Every necessary administrative action were taken.

“What usually happen in every confirmation hearing was what took place. Whoever is not satisfied should explore other avenues to make his or her case. As far as we are concerned, we have done our job.”

In the reports, the SSS, among other allegations, accused Mr. Magu of benefitting from proceeds of fraud from an individual it (SSS) is prosecuting.

The agency alleged that the suspect, Umar Mohammed, who was a member of the presidential panel on arms procurement, paid the rent and furnished Mr. Magu’s official residence in the Maitama district of Abuja.

It also claimed that Mr. Magu used Mr. Mohammed’s private jets for trips outside Abuja.

A fact-check of the allegations by this newspaper indicates they were largely false.

The presidency said on Sunday that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, to investigate allegations of corruption against Mr. Magu and other officials of his administration accused of corruption.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/12/19/how-dss-submitted-two-contradictory-reports-efcc-boss-magu-senate

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by fulaniHERDSman(m): 10:42pm On Dec 19, 2016
One day we will find out who paid PREMIUM TIMEs for this Magu Laundry Job grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by UnknownT: 10:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
The Senate not confirming Magu as EFCC boss doesn't stop whoever they finally confirm from probing them. They are all thieves ( especislly the former governors turned senators and all have one or two questions to answer ). Magu isnt the only Nigerian that is capable of the position

4 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by baybeeboi: 11:23pm On Dec 19, 2016
I dont know what Saharareporters and Premiumtimes are after.

The two reports indicted Mr Magu so i dont think the DSS should be instructing the NASS on the decision to be taken.

Both Reports carry same allegation and that is the most important from the report.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Aufbauh(m): 11:26pm On Dec 19, 2016
Surely Mr. President's integrity and honesty will be brought to test in this whole saga.
Although he has taken the step by directing the AGF to investigate the allegation,his stance about the findings will be crucial to his sincerity about the anti-graft war.

The likely scenarios are either Magu is culpable or the DSS is misinformed or been mischievous. Either way someone will have to bear the brunt for this grievous misinformation/misrepresentation or mischief.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 11:41pm On Dec 19, 2016
Forget DSS, senate will be shooting itself in the foot and undermining the other arm of government if they endorse Magu who clearly have no regard for the courts or Judiciary as EFCC chairman

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 19, 2016
UnknownT:
The Senate not confirming Magu as EFCC boss doesn't stop whoever they finally confirm from probing them. They are all thieves ( especislly the former governors turned senators and all have one or two questions to answer ). Magu isnt the only Nigerian that is capable of the position

Senate can ensure that only people with a track record of respecting rule of law occupy that office

Buhari should go and look for a fine lawyer as EFCC Boss

There is no need for commando arrests, that's not how to run a country!

6 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 4:33am On Dec 20, 2016
Power game.

It's obviously clear, Magu is not a Saint
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by DaudaAbu(m): 6:55am On Dec 20, 2016
If i were magu, the moment i am confirmed i will go after all those sin-ators big time

1 Like

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by infohenry(m): 9:28am On Dec 20, 2016
krendo:

Senate can ensure that only people with a track record of respecting rule of law occupy that office

Buhari should go and look for a fine lawyer as EFCC Boss

There is no need for commando arrests, that's not how to run a country!
My stop disturbing us with this your rule of law thing, a man stole money provided for development as stipulated by the law, is that not going against rule of law. Effc should continue until everybody understand that looting of public also disobeying the law of the land.

8 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by theSpark(m): 10:48am On Dec 20, 2016
Round and round we go.
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by herzern(m): 11:47am On Dec 20, 2016
Please..

Can we qet over these DSS report,Maqu,Nass for the meantime??
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 20, 2016
I so much believe in Magu,

He would not have had any problem scaling through if it was business as usual.

The SINators backed by Daura and Kyari are only afraid.

3 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 20, 2016
How would a senate headed by Bukola Saraki easily confirm Magu?
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 20, 2016
The question is ...

WHO IS THE DSS SCARED OF, THE SENATE OR THE PRESIDENCY?

1 Like

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Silvereze(m): 11:49am On Dec 20, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Buharimustgo: 11:49am On Dec 20, 2016
Telemundo govt

2 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Omeokachie: 11:50am On Dec 20, 2016
Why would anybody want to put a man whom "two different" reports have indicted as having "Integrity issues" as the head of its anti-corruption agency?
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by yemmy66: 11:52am On Dec 20, 2016
Really

Please gist us, those EFCC men are also a criminal

Criminal investigating criminals

Nigeria, where bleachers accuse bleacher of bleaching
Thieves kills thief for stealing
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by efilefun(m): 11:58am On Dec 20, 2016
grin
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 20, 2016
Magu must go
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by AntiWailer: 12:10pm On Dec 20, 2016
Lol
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by NaijaFutbol: 12:10pm On Dec 20, 2016
Aufbauh:
Surely Mr. President's integrity and honesty will be brought to test in this whole saga.
Although he has taken the step by directing the AGF to investigate the allegation,his stance about the findings will be crucial to his sincerity about the anti-graft war.

The likely scenarios are either Magu is culpable or the DSS is misinformed or been mischievous. Either way someone will have to bear the brunt for this grievous misinformation/misrepresentation or mischief.

AGF doesn't investigate. Your Bubu just gave you guys something to chew on.

Buhari is the problem. He appointed crooks

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by NaijaFutbol: 12:12pm On Dec 20, 2016
Very typical of corrupt government fighting corruption. Send two contradicting letters and blame Senate for wrong decision or indecision.

Like several versions of same budget, like bloated and padded budgets being repadded.

2 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by kingphilip(m): 12:13pm On Dec 20, 2016
Ok
Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by lastpage: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2016
fulaniHERDSman:
One day we will find out who paid PREMIUM TIMEs for this Magu Laundry Job grin cheesy

STOP being Silly!

Anytime the shenanigans of people like you are exposed, yo attack the "source" of the News!
Its either you are attacking Sahara Rep or Premium times or other News outlets.

What you should be concerned about are:
*whether Magu is actually GUILTY of the accusations levelled against him,
*Whether he was given a fair hearing and allowed to defend himself
*Whether he was cleared by the IGP under whom he worked and was PROMOTED, despite the allegation, which the IGP found to be false
*Whether those opposing his nomination are doing so in "self-interest" or in the interest of Nigerians
*Whether SSS's Daura and Abba Kyari are trying to "cage' the President's war on corruption while doing "corrupt deals" behind him

No one cares wherever the TRUTH comes from, we only care about the TRUTH.

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by yaksmon: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2016
I Nò FIT LAfF

Senate: We reject Magu!

Presidency: Hameed Ali nko?

Senate: We'll reconsider Magu, just send his name again with any explanation.

1 Like

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by lastpage: 12:36pm On Dec 20, 2016
beatzone:
The question is ...

WHO IS THE DSS SCARED OF, THE SENATE OR THE PRESIDENCY?

Daura and his DSS appears to be running the script of some influential and corrupt people in our Society.
The DSS wants to cripple the EFCC so that it can dictate the pace of the war on corruption, having secured the illicit agreement of corrupt politicians and Judges, to thread softly on their case.

We all can still remember what happened when Farida Waziri was made EFCC chair, after Nuhu Ribadu was unceremoniously removed!
If not for that singular act, we might not be in the recession we are today!
It allowed thieves and looters to have a field day

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by lastpage: 12:43pm On Dec 20, 2016
baybeeboi:

The two reports indicted Mr Magu so i dont think the DSS should be instructing the NASS on the decision to be taken.

Both Reports carry same allegation and that is the most important from the report.

Have you read the INVESTIGATION on the allegations of the DSS/SSS?
If not, l urge you to read it and form your own opinion.

Read it here:

http://saharareporters.com/2016/12/17/fact-check-senate-confirmation-how-dss-lied-against-efcc-boss-magu

Thursday, the Nigerian Senate declined to confirm the appointment of Ibrahim Magu as substantive chair of the country’s premier anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The upper legislative chamber claimed it could not approve the presidency’s request to confirm Mr. Magu based on a security report forwarded to it by the State Security Service.

“The Senate wishes to inform the public that based on available security report, the Senate cannot proceed with the confirmation of Ibrahim Magu as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,” the spokesperson for the Senate, Aliyu Abdullahi, said in a statement read to journalists.

“The nomination of Ibrahim Magu is hereby rejected and has been returned to the President for further action,” Mr. Abdullahi said.

The Senate did not provide the EFCC chairman an opportunity to respond to the allegations against him.

PREMIUM TIMES has obtained details of the security report on which the lawmakers based their decision and has investigated the claims against Mr. Magu.

We fact-checked some of the claims made by the SSS, and below are our findings:

ALLEGATION ONE: That during the tenure of Farida Waziri as EFCC chairperson, sensitive documents were found in Mr. Magu’s home.

The facts do not support that claim. A reporter for this newspaper extensively reported that event in 2008 when it happened, and is familiar with what transpired at the time.

Based on pressure from political gladiators of the period (among which were former Governors James Ibori and Bukola Saraki), then President Musa Yar’Adua unceremoniously removed Nuhu Ribadu as chairman of the EFCC.

After Mr. Ribadu’s departure, his successor, Mrs. Waziri, frustrated some of his closest and most resourceful aides in the commission and harassed them for a prolonged period.

Mr. Magu, who was a chief superintendent of police at the time, was sent away from the EFCC and his Lagos and Abuja homes were raided by operatives even before he had the opportunity to hand over to Umar Sanda as head of the Economic Governance Unit of the Commission. He was later detained for three weeks.

Following complaints by Mrs. Waziri, the then Inspector General of Police, Mike Okiro, queried Mr. Magu, accusing him of serious misconduct. One of the allegations against him was that he removed and withheld EFCC files.

On August 25, 2008, Mr. Magu replied the query, explaining to the IGP that no unauthorized EFCC official documents were found in his home.

“I wish to state that the nature of my assignment at the EFCC is such that I worked round the clock and it was impossible for me to do my work effectively without working on some documents at home,” he wrote to Mr. Okiro at the time. “This is the reason I maintain an office bag where documents relating to investigations were kept. The documents listed were found in my office bag which I was in the process of handing over and were not found hidden anywhere in my house.

“It is therefore not the correct position to say that I bluntly refused to hand over EFCC’s property and documents. I had just concluded handing over the Abuja office, and I was in Lagos to conclude handing over the Lagos office when the search was conducted. At the time of the search, I had not reported to my new command. It could therefore not be my intention to keep government documents in my house.

“I have suffered untold humiliation within the past one month. My home was ransacked, vandalized and my properties destroyed by men of the EFCC. I was detained in a cell meant for hardened criminals most of whom are armed robbers for three weeks. My health condition deteriorated as a result of his inhuman treatment meted out to me for doing my job diligently and with the pride required of a senior police officer of my rank in the Nigerian Police Force.

“I humbly implore the Inspector General of Police to totally exonerate me from blame and the said acts of serious misconduct because I was not involved and I am not involved. I will never be discouraged in my unrelenting war against crime and its associated manifestations as enshrined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

After an investigation, the police IG exonerated Mr. Magu, posted him to the police’s Special Fraud Unit and promoted him to the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Police shortly afterwards.

ALLEGATION TWO: That Mr. Magu currently occupies a residence rented for N40 million at N20 million per annum. This accommodation was not paid [for] from the commission’s (EFCC) finances, but by one Umar Mohammed, air commodore retired.

This claim is also untrue.

PREMIUM TIMES has obtained evidence showing the property in question was paid for by the Federal Capital Development Administration, and not Mr. Umar.

The E-Payment schedule, dated March 31, was issued by to the branch controller of Central Bank, Abuja, in favor of M/S Valcour SA-Nigeria Limited.

The company was paid N39.628 million as payment for two-year rent and furnishing of the property, located in upscale Maitama district of Abuja.

The payment schedule was signed by Isiyaku Ismaila and confirmed by Zanna A. Hamza.

Mr. Magu lived in Karu, a suburb of Abuja, before his appointment as acting EFCC chair. With his new position, Mr. Magu moved into an official residence provided by the FCDA.

ALLEGATION 3: That the acting EFCC chairman regularly embarked on official and private trips through a private jet owned by embattled Air Commodore Mohammed Umar (Rtd).

PREMIUM TIMES checks show that this is not entirely correct. Our investigations indicate that Mr. Magu first met Mr. Umar when both of them worked as members of the Presidential Committee on the investigation of arms procurement. At the time, Mr. Umar was very close to President Muhammadu Buhari and had unlimited access to the presidential villa. Both men became close during the assignment.

Our investigations indicate that once this year, Mr. Magu traveled to Kano in the company of EFCC’s Director of Finance and that in charge of organizational support. Those familiar with the trip said on their way back to Abuja, Mr. Umar, who at the time remained Mr. Magu’s colleague at the presidential committee, and who was at the time not in any trouble with the SSS, gave the two officials a lift.

We are unable to find any evidence that Mr. Magu flew in Mr. Umar’s private jet at any other time. Neither were we able to establish that the EFCC chairman flew to Maiduguri alongside Mr. Umar and a bank MD being investigated by the EFCC over complicity in funds allegedly stolen by former Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke.

While some insiders at the commission denied the allegation, we could not independently verify the claims.

ALLEGATION 4: On 24 June 2016, he (Magu) flew Emirate Airlines first-class to Saudi Arabia to perform lesser hajj at the cost of N2.9m. This is in spite of Mr. President’s directive to all public servants to fly economy class.

Insiders say while it was true that Mr. Magu indeed flew first class to Saudi Arabia for lesser hajj, he did not pay for the ticket with public funds. We could not, however, confirm this claim independently.

Now, tell us if it is fair not to allow the man to defend himself against this allegations?
Tell us if it is fair that the IGP at that time found the allegation to be false, even promoted the Magu to a Commissioner of Police and they are still trying to use it to ridicule the man?

We Nigerians need to be smart and act in our best interest instead of falling prey to all these wicked politicians.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: How DSS Submitted Two Contradictory Reports On EFCC Boss, Magu To The Senate by jomoh: 2:52pm On Dec 20, 2016
baybeeboi:

They are after the truth behind two conflicting recommendations to the same indicting report.

Yes the two reports indicted Mr Magu but the recommendations are conflicting.

Recommendations are meant to give a fair personal judgement of the report maker based on what he/she was able to discover during the cause of their investigation. Every report is expected to come with a recommendation. Its like an advice, it is not binding on the Senate but carries a lot of weight on the integrity of the report.

Yes it might be the most important but the fact that the two reports carry different recommendations has put a question Mark on the integrity of the two reports, the investigation as a whole and even the people that carried out the investigation.

If you have nothing to hide that is not included in the report why will you recommend the appointment of someone you just indicted(in one of the reports).

Even of there is no concrete evidence for and against every other allegation against Mr Magu, that of rent payment has being cleared by the Premium times investigation. In it, it was discovered that the rent was not paid for by the commission and neither was it paid for by the said Mr. Mohammed(in the DSS report) but by the FCDA.

20million is not 20thousand that you can pay in cash so there has to be an audit trail(bank transfer in bank statement) that will leave no one in doubt as to where the payment came from.

Sencondly how can you indict someone and go on to pass judgement without fair trial(a chance to defend himself against the accusations). This is why sane Nigerians and international community believes there's more to it which makes it political.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Rallies 39 Parties On Consensus Candidate / We Are Blessed To Have Umahi As Chairman South-east Governors' Forum- Iwuanyanwu / Taiwo Adisa: There Are Plots To Cause Unrest In Oyo State Through Fake News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.