Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east (1413 Views)

IGP Idris Orders Dismantling Of Road Blocks Nationwide / "Hameed Ali Is Over-Aged & Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss / EFCC Recovers 17 Vehicles From Abdullahi Dikko, Ex-Comptroller Of Customs (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by investnow2013: 12:35pm On Dec 20, 2016
Obi seeks dismantling of Customs checkpoints in S/East

Obi seeks dismantling of Customs checkpoints in S/East
The former Governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, has called for immediate dismantling of so many Customs and allied check points on the roads in the South East.
Obi made this call yes­terday when journalists re­quested clarification of his key note address during the end of year meeting of a club yesterday.
Explaining, Obi said some people visited him at his Onitsha home to com­plain about the hardship people undergo because of countless Customs check points on the roads, espe­cially in the South-East. Ac­cording to him, in a bid to have first hand information about the complaint, he had to travel by road from Lagos to Onitsha.
He described the situ­ation as worrisome and counter productive. Speak­ing further, Obi wondered if the roads in Nigeria have become wharfs or borders to warrant many Customs check points on them.
“We know that Customs police our borders to, among other things, guard against smuggling of banned goods, but if they do this effectively at the borders, as obtainable in other countries, there would not be need for cus­toms check points all over the place.”
Obi noted that he ob­served over 10 check points from Ore to Onitsha. He said that in this time of recession, that what was more wor­risome was that they stop travellers and demand for Customs papers, clearance papers for vehicles, includ­ing those bought several years ago.
“Even families coming home for Christmas were stopped and the rice they were given as gifts in their offices or they bought in open market confiscated under the presence that they are foreign rice.
Obi appealed to the Comptroller General of Customs to look with in­terest at what is happening and to completely overhaul their mode of operations, by targeting those import­ing banned goods at the borders and not innocent Nigerians trying painfully to eek living. Cc: Lalasticlala:
http://authorityngr.com/2016/12/-Obi-seeks-dismantling-of-Customs-checkpoints-in-S-East/

1 Like

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by investnow2013: 12:37pm On Dec 20, 2016
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by cjrane: 12:48pm On Dec 20, 2016
It is wicked that the Federal Government will not include the SE in building ports or any project of significance at all. Yet,they will send their customs officers to flood the zone and harass law abiding citizens for nothing.

9 Likes

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 20, 2016
cjrane:
It is wicked that the Federal Government will not include the SE in building ports or any project of significance at all. Yet,they will send their customs officers to flood the zone and harass law abiding citizens for nothing.

Very sad.
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by Fremancipation: 12:55pm On Dec 20, 2016
Another reason why we need Biafra. We are an occupied territory where this people just exploit our hard work for their pockets. This will only get worse. The south east looks like a war zone because of the number of police and army filled in the area begging for bribes. Now customs have joined them.

6 Likes

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by krixik(m): 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2016
“Even families coming home for Christmas were stopped and the rice they were given as gifts in their offices or they bought in open market confiscated under the presence that they are foreign rice. Where is EFCC abi DSS?
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 20, 2016
This government is very confused, no direction nothing nothing. U neglected that region yet u won't allow them to have peace. They should have it at the back of their minds that whom God has blessed, no man can course.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by NaWetinDey(m): 1:29pm On Dec 20, 2016
Some day soon, God will remove our real enemies (even if they mask as friends). Why I say 'God' is because man cannot do it. Even those who claim to fight for us are looking out solely for themselves and then spraying the rejects in the air for the 'strongests' to grab - to the detriment of the poor. I thank Okwute for speaking out on this. If our president is as good as he positions towards the SE he should recall them to the boarders and to wharfs. He should also expedite actions towards establishing a port zone in the SE. Sorry, they say, is as sorry does.
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by giles14(m): 1:37pm On Dec 20, 2016
Fremancipation:
Another reason why we need Biafra. We are an occupied territory where this people just exploit our hard work for their pockets. This will only get worse. The south east looks like a war zone because of the number of police and army filled in the area begging for bribes. Now customs have joined them.
and you think if we get Biafra all dis will go away?
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:

What are you talking about? Always be optimistic in life.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by giles14(m): 1:58pm On Dec 20, 2016
soulpeppersoup:

What are you talking about? Always be optimistic in life.
I am.
but you don't just throw that away.

there is 99% chance we might turn out as south Sudan is given the right to secede.

if I may even ask you who and who will be in this Biafra.
instead of breaking away why not first develop d south east .we need roads electricity rail .

kill nepotism ,kidnapping ,cult in tertiary institutions, improve security etc.

we can attain Biafra without even leaving Nigeria.

what is still stoping the south east businessmen from using the onistha inland port.
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by glassjar1: 2:24pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:
I am.

there is 99% chance we might turn out as south Sudan is given the right to secede.

instead of breaking away why not first develop d south east .we need roads electricity rail .

what is still stoping the south east businessmen from using the onistha inland port.

Keep twisting your uneducated shallow brain .

Myopic and blindness is your dna .

Keep writting ,write more . Na you go tire

But we ipob will stand as an upright country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by giles14(m): 2:36pm On Dec 20, 2016
glassjar1:

Keep twisting your uneducated shallow brain .

Myopic and blindness is your dna .

Keep writting ,write more . Na you go tire

But we ipob will stand as an upright country
see mumu,Ipob my foot .desam way massob use Igbos to make money.

develop south east first b4 u mention Biafra.

who want to live in a landlocked country
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by greenermodels: 2:50pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:
I am.

you're making no sense, all these crimes you listed seems to occur more in other parts of the country nudging by the number of topics that makes nairaland front-page, America is the greatest country on earth yet it has the largest prison population on earth, and please onithsha inland river port is an abandoned project. you also vied off from the topic of the thread about the milittarisation of the south east and south south (operation crocodile smile, python dance, eagle etc) i have lived in the north for years and they have very scanty police and military presence despite the perennial security problems there

1 Like

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by greenermodels: 2:55pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:

fake igbo spotted.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by giles14(m): 2:57pm On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
you're making no sense, all these crimes you listed seems to occur more in other parts of the country nudging by the number of topics that makes nairaland front-page, America is the greatest country on earth yet it has the largest prison population on earth, and please onithsha inland river port is an abandoned project. you also vied off from the topic of the thread about the milittarisation of the south east and south south (operation crocodile smile, python dance, eagle etc) i have lived in the north for years and they have very scanty police and military presence despite the perennial security problems there
pls don't use boko Haram in the NE to shout security problems.

don't forget 60% of Igbos live outside the south east.
so if you pple think u can pull dis Ipob Biafra nonsense den good luck.
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by giles14(m): 3:03pm On Dec 20, 2016
greenermodels:
fake igbo spotted.
original Igbo seen
Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by JimiOgunlola: 3:12pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:

So if you they get Biafra, hausa/fulani custom will come from Sokoto and come police Intra-Biafran roads? We yorubas should try and get sense na?

Why do our yoruba muslim brains go into sleep mode whenever we hear Biafra. Wetin dey happen sef?

3 Likes

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by glassjar1: 3:20pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:

Dissarayed zombie nut head .

Degenerated remaining monkey fossil

If Biafran is landlocked that is not excuse to accept

Mediocre like zoo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by giles14(m): 3:22pm On Dec 20, 2016
JimiOgunlola:

So if you they get Biafra, hausa/fulani custom will come from Sokoto and come police Intra-Biafran roads? We yorubas should try and get sense na?

Why do our yoruba muslim brains go into sleep mode whenever we hear Biafra. Wetin dey happen sef?
I am Igbo.

still we shout marginalization from the FG.
but state governors in states in South East are marginalizing some community,LGA,senitorial zone for no jst course.

so if I may ask will it end wen Biafra comes.

1 Like

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:
I am.

People never understand why Igbo land can never, I repeat can never develop.

East can never develop because of federal government policies.

Ask yourself

How much was allocated to the five eastern states of Nigeria in 2016 budget and 2017 budget. Then compare it to other regions.

The money in every state is 98% of the state's allocation. 2% is external inflow from exchange from goods and services.

With the abysmal sum given to the east, the federal government through its forces indirectly withdraw 30% this money. The rest of the people are left with less than 70% to trade with.

The most developed state in Nigeria is the state with the highest federal government project. Because that is a plus to the allocation the state has already received.

Its all politics.

1 Like

Re: Obi Seeks Dismantling Of Customs Checkpoints In S/east by Noblecx: 4:20pm On Dec 20, 2016
giles14:
I am Igbo.

still we shout marginalization from the FG.
but state governors in states in South East are marginalizing some community,LGA,senitorial zone for no jst course.

so if I may ask will it end wen Biafra comes.

Your father or your mother deceived you.
And

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: George Turnah Arrested / If You Waive Two Months Salaries, We Will Be Glad, Akeredolu Tells Ondo Workers / Urhobo Youth And Elders Pledges Full Support To Kanu On Freedom Struggle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.