Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better (35397 Views)

Clay Bricks / How much is Cement,Block,Gravel,Sand etc In Lagos? / Cement, Block And Rod (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by TJTAIGlobal(f): 7:35am On Oct 06, 2014
picture of our red brick

1 Share

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by blank(f): 5:40am On Oct 08, 2014
1forall:
Black? from dust

Anyways, except youre ready to bear the cost of thermal insulation of such a building, I dont think such building blocks are the most appropriate for construction in a climate thats nearly all-round summer.

I suppose its why its not popular in naija.
. I don't know where you got your ideas from but clay bricks keep the room cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather.

We built with burnt clay bricks in my hometown for my grandma more than 20years ago and the house is still beautiful.

My dad used it in his school recently, although more expensive, it makes the school look so beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by zabutt(m): 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2015
Clay bricks are gone expensive in Pakistan. Now each brick is around 10 naira and cement is gone expensive; nearly $5 for 50 kg bag. smiley

I know it is not relevant to the post but I do live (UK-Pakistan-Nigeria) and have to keep an eye on the cost...
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by shinaboy: 10:27pm On Mar 08, 2015
Can anyone refer a builder use is experienced with hydroform bricks
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 13, 2015
I base in Shiroro in Niger State, how can i get red bricks and what is the price?
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 13, 2015
ikemeneke:
I base in Shiroro in Niger State, how can i get red bricks and what is the price?

Visit shelter clay

CONTACT INFORMATION
SHELTER CLAY PRODUCTS LTD, Kilometer 15 Paggo, Minna-Suleja Road Minna, Niger State.

Telephone: +(234) 66 220703 or 223599

E-mail: shelterclay@urbanshelternigeria.com
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by laudate: 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
Are there burnt brick making factories in Lekki area of Lagos??
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by yuppyninety4(m): 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
Exquisitely Luxury New 4 bedroom with all rooms ensuite, spacious fitted kitchen

A Well finished Executive 4 Bedroom Bungalow with all rooms en-suite, Located at Ayobo. it is available in serene environment that well secure. Asking Price: N7,000,000 Call Owner direct : 08023320486, 07064456231. BBM: 7F59F67F. Whatsapp : +97477321114

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by joeyreports: 7:16am On Nov 22, 2015
Refractory Materials
The studied clays have higher silica oxide values. The iron oxide value is higher than the value for the industrial standard. The alumina oxide content is generally low. The alkali metal oxide content is lower in comparison with the industrial standards in Refractory Materials. The LOI values do not compare well with the Grimshaw (1975) values. The percentage composition of impurities such as CaO, TiO2, K2O are mainly below 2.0 %.

This means that the clays have low fusion temperature which makes them unsuitable for refractory but meet the standard for fire clay and ceramics (Aremu et.al, 2013). It can be deduced that the clays do not show similarity in composition with the industrial standard in Refractory Materials, hence they cannot be utilized as refractory materials.

Based on comparison with the Refractory Bricks or the Refractory Materials (Parker, 1967) and Brick Clay (Murray, 1960), as seen in Table 14, the studied clays are generally higher in silica oxide values than the industrial standards in the Refractory Materials and lower in alkali metal oxide content with low alumina content. According to Mohammed (2009), the high value of silica content and other particles such as Fe2O3 contribute to low refractoriness. Alkali metal oxide content is low while alumina content is high in clays for refractory production (Nwajagu, 1987). The studied clays do not meet the requirements for refractory materials.

http://www.prestarticles.com/refractory-materials-assessment-clay-as-refractory-materials/
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Olayinka777(m): 12:20pm On Dec 08, 2015
Honestly burnt bricks is the way to go! That was what my mum used in building her house in Makurdi. It good for hot climate during the hot season the interior of the building was always cool. Here in Nigeria what we are good at is follow follow who don't like trying out new things or inventions. That's what I plan to use for my building.

1 Like

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by whirlwind7(m): 6:08am On Dec 11, 2015
Olayinka777:
Honestly burnt bricks is the way to go! That was what my mum used in building her house in Makurdi. It good for hot climate during the hot season the interior of the building was always cool. Here in Nigeria what we are good at is follow follow who don't like trying out new things or inventions. That's what I plan to use for my building.

Bro, kindly share where you source for burnt clay bricks, as well as the cost.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Olayinka777(m): 6:58pm On Dec 22, 2015
whirlwind7:

Like I said it was back at Makurdi, there are many bricks companies over there. A brick then was about 2 naira that was about 10 years ago.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 10:20am On Dec 23, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:09am On Dec 23, 2015
Olayinka777:
Like I said it was back at Makurdi, there are many bricks companies over there. A brick then was about 2 naira that was about 10 years ago.

Why red brick is the best for your next project.

* The best for our climate - Red bricks are thermally efficient reducing energy requirements, cool during warm weather and warm during cool weather.

* Cost effective production – Our red bricks are manufactured with only 10% cement to achieve 7MPa blocks after 14days of curing.

* Cost effective construction - No burning of blocks – cure for 14days during site clearance and laying foundations.

* Reduced labour costs – Interlocking blocks can be laid 3 times faster than cement blocks therefore less labour time per house and faster construction.

* Speed - When cured, the red bricks can be dry-stacked in the superstructure representing as much as a 30% saving in cost and time.

* Local Material – Our red bricks making machines hydraulically compress laterite mixed with very little cement into solid blocks.

* Local Delivery - Our machines are mobile for onsite bricks production and reducing costs on transportation.

https://www.nairaland.com/2818337/why-should-use-red-bricks

https://www.nairaland.com/2812399/red-brick-making-machine-sale
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:10am On Dec 23, 2015
whirlwind7:

* The best for our climate - Red bricks are thermally efficient reducing energy requirements, cool during warm weather and warm during cool weather.

* Cost effective production – Our red bricks are manufactured with only 10% cement to achieve 7MPa blocks after 14days of curing.

* Cost effective construction - No burning of blocks – cure for 14days during site clearance and laying foundations.

* Reduced labour costs – Interlocking blocks can be laid 3 times faster than cement blocks therefore less labour time per house and faster construction.

* Speed - When cured, the red bricks can be dry-stacked in the superstructure representing as much as a 30% saving in cost and time.

* Local Material – Our red bricks making machines hydraulically compress laterite mixed with very little cement into solid blocks.

* Local Delivery - Our machines are mobile for onsite bricks production and reducing costs on transportation.

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:11am On Dec 23, 2015
laudate:
Are there burnt brick making factories in Lekki area of Lagos??

We can supply you red bricks.

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:13am On Dec 23, 2015
shinaboy:

We can supply and set for you.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:13am On Dec 23, 2015
shinaboy:

We can supply and set for you. Call 07039027418 today.

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:15am On Dec 23, 2015
ikemeneke:

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 23, 2015
Godspikin:

how much? And where is your location?
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by ifyalways(f): 2:09pm On Dec 23, 2015
Godspikin:

Quoted for future reference.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 12:12am On Dec 25, 2015
ifyalways:

Quoted for future reference.

Okay madam.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 12:13am On Dec 25, 2015
ikemeneke:

how much? And where is your location?

Factory Location is Osogbo, but we are not limited by location. We have a mobile equipment.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by laudate: 10:27am On Jan 05, 2016
Godspikin:

Factory Location is Osogbo, but we are not limited by location. We have a mobile equipment.

There is no laterite on site, where I am currently supervising a project in Lekki. Would it be possible for you to manufacture your bricks at Osogbo and transport it down to Lekki? What would be the cost implication for the 11,700 bricks you quoted in another post?

Kindly provide cost of bricks + transportation from Osogbo to Lekki in Lagos. Thanks.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 11:45am On Jan 06, 2016
laudate:

There is no laterite on site, where I am currently supervising a project in Lekki. Would it be possible for you to manufacture your bricks at Osogbo and transport it down to Lekki? What would be the cost implication for the 11,700 bricks you quoted in another post?

Kindly provide cost of bricks + transportation from Osogbo to Lekki in Lagos. Thanks.

Very very possible sir. Cost of bricks will be 11,700*80 = #936,000 Exw (factory) price. We can give a slight rebate whenever you are ready to start the project. Transportation and associated cost will be handled by you.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Godspikin: 10:47pm On Jan 29, 2016
Find pictures of beautiful projects done with interlocking red-bricks in the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/2818337/why-should-use-red-bricks/1
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Johnnyessence(m): 3:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
whirlwind7:
Building with red bricks, or combining them with conventional blocks is something i have always wanted. Here's a picture i got from a thread on Nairaland. They give a cool and unique appearance to houses. If actually they are cheaper than conventional bricks, i wonder why they have not gained a wider acceptance in Nigeria.

i love this type of bricks they used in this building. how much is it? need ur reply.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by Johnnyessence(m): 3:30pm On Mar 28, 2016
i still need another bricks like the one ogbeni did in ataoja high school. i love that type.
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by akinolaolujide(m): 10:44am On Feb 26, 2017
1forall:
Black? from dust

Anyways, except youre ready to bear the cost of thermal insulation of such a building, I dont think such building blocks are the most appropriate for construction in a climate thats nearly all-round summer.

I suppose its why its not popular in naija.

They are much more thermally balanced than the regular hollow sandcrete blocks the main is more of work ability with services and I think we are doing better in that regatds

1 Like

Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by 1forall: 1:24pm On Feb 28, 2017
^^ You're absolutely right!
Re: Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better by webcool(m): 10:52am On Nov 11, 2017
There are off course numerous differences existing between ECO Block, Red Bricks (Clay Bricks) and Cement Block because of which ECO Block are now the preferred choice for construction. As a reliable ECO Block it is the sure and the best way to secure your property and build a lasting a friendly house or home. This the reason engineers are always asking for such from us.

Some of the major differences that exist between the two are listed below.

Lighter and Larger in size

ECO Block are almost a whopping 70 percent less in weight in comparison to the red bricks and are more in size. This means less use of cement for binding and more saving. This also translates into a stronger building.

Increased strength

Safety is given prime importance while constructing any building. An ECO Block not only possess more compressive strength i.e. 35-40 kg per square cm in comparison to 25-30 kg per square cm, but it can also offer resistance to fire for 3 to 6 long hours. A red brick can at most resist fire for only two hours.

Energy saver

Using ECO Block can reduce energy consumption by 32 percent as its thermal conductivity is poorer in contrast to red bricks. This means it will not allow warm air during summers and cool air during winter to a building and thus offer thermal insulation.

Lighter in weight

ECO Block are lighter in weight and this means easy transportation and that too at reduced cost. Lighter in weight than red bricks, makes ECO Block resistant to earthquakes.

Apart from the above mentioned differences, there are also many other like less wet density, thermal heat absorption in ECO Block in comparison to a red brick.

Get one now

landpreneurs@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Citiview & The Grenadines Homes (magodo,arepo & Abuja) / Genuine Schneider /ABB /Legrand /INDOASIAN/ Havells for your projects / See The Wolrd's First Printed House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.