Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! (68805 Views)

Python Killed In Hostel At The Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa / Ayoola Oluwakemi Is Best African Female Postgraduate Student In China (Photo) / UNILAG Lecturer Stabs Postgraduate Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fratermathy(m): 1:18pm On Apr 04, 2018
kempreze:
Hello house pls someone with a terminal masters degree result from a federal uni was given a PhD admission by another federal uni. Pls what do you guys think? Do you think he should go ahead?

If he was truly given the admission despite the school's knowledge of his Masters grade, then he can go ahead.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by fratermathy(m): 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2018
Raintaker:
what is terminal masters?

Masters degree of C average or of between 3.00-3.49 cgpa. It usually can't be used for PhDs.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Raintaker(m): 2:29pm On Apr 04, 2018
fratermathy:

Masters degree of C average or of between 3.00-3.49 cgpa. It usually can't be used for PhDs.
OK
Thanks.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 6:08pm On Apr 04, 2018
Federal universities are rugged o To get 3.5 or even 4.0 (average of all Bs) is not easy at all o
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Raintaker(m): 7:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
Ugosample:
Federal universities are rugged o
To get 3.5 or even 4.0 (average of all Bs) is not easy at all o
Actually, a senior colleague of mine told me 70 percent had 4.0 in a Federal University Masters Programme.
The few who did not make it, did not go lower than 3.8
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 9:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
Raintaker:
Actually, a senior colleague of mine told me 70 percent had 4.0 in a Federal University Masters Programme.

Which school?

Or is it Federal universities in general
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by busaribo(m): 11:25pm On Apr 04, 2018
ayodelesuleiman:
wow this is real!!!
pls I need suggestions on where to do my msc in econometrics(or mathematical economics).
both foreign and Nigerian universities (reasonable ones only) are welcomed.Thanks
go to university of Ibadan,apply for PG form,then study econometrics under faculty of economics
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 9:20am On Apr 05, 2018
busaribo:

go to university of Ibadan,apply for PG form,then study econometrics under faculty of economics

Do they have econometrics as a separate course in the University of Ibadan?
That's very interesting
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by masties2(f): 6:07pm On Apr 07, 2018
Raintaker:

While I find that very hard to believe, I would say it depends on the school. But getting 3.5-4.5 in federal schools like Unilag, UI, IFe is very difficult.
Sometimes these things do not depend on the students not studying hard but on the mood and fickle minds of the lecturers. Especially in a school like Unilag that has a large population of PG students.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 6:33pm On Apr 07, 2018
masties2:

While I find that very hard to believe, I would say it depends on the school. But getting 3.5-4.5 in federal schools like Unilag, UI, IFe is very difficult.
Sometimes these things do not depend on the students not studying hard but on the mood and fickle minds of the lecturers. Especially in a school like Unilag that has a large population of PG students.

Exactly my point

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by masties2(f): 7:51pm On Apr 07, 2018
kempreze:
Hello house pls someone with a terminal masters degree result from a federal uni was given a PhD admission by another federal uni. Pls what do you guys think? Do you think he should go ahead?

I think he should go ahead because if he didn't "qualify" he would not have been admitted. The thing is his results and certificates would be screened before he resumes the program. It might also be one of the new federal schools seeking to make a name. They are less stringent in their requirements.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 8:19pm On Apr 07, 2018
efficiencie:
Nairalanders, please and please, I would like to state that the openning comment that started this thread is not a representation of my views. I got a wind that this was on my followed topics and realized that someone must have had accces to my detail and posted all that in the openning comment. please and please I would like to state that:

That openning post is not a representation of my views. I have been careless with my security of my passwords and someone malicious and used that avenue to post all that about the University of Benin. Please and please moderator take down this thread. Thank you.

LMAO

So hilarious
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by oluwaafeyikemi: 9:22am On Apr 13, 2018
TheVictorious:

Go ahead, you wont regret it. I finished from there.
pls do u av dia past questions for dia screening exercise.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by oluwaafeyikemi: 10:09am On Apr 13, 2018
oluwaafeyikemi:
pls do u av dia past questions for dia screening exercise.
if yes, kindly forward to ronkeodeloye@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by starz100: 3:28pm On Apr 14, 2018
Educative thread
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by 123justice: 6:05pm On May 07, 2018
Please, anyone who know much about NDA KADUNA'S PGD IN CIVIL ENGINEERING? IF yes, would you advice me to go there or not follow by your reasons.. thanks my fellow nairalanders
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Geosystem(m): 2:41am On Jan 07, 2019
Please do any one who have done his or her masters in Nassarwa state university keffi have any info about how the program is designed. Thanks
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Suvari: 7:58am On Jan 07, 2019
For university of Lagos students.
Find a comfortable apartment of your choice with YUDAAY . Call or whatsapp :
08159530070 / 08102259597

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 9:25pm On Apr 03, 2019
Exciton:
I don't understand why anyone would want to do PG in Naija (especially in science). Naija education is one of the greatest frauds ever unleashed upon her citizens. The so-called professor know nothing apart from what they were taught decades ago!

Both private and public universities neither have good professors nor the necessary equipment to carry out research. People who go to private schools only pay for finishing early and lower teacher-student ratio. Even the best of these private universities have no SEM, TEM, XRD, optics lab, clean room etc.

I can confidently say that most Naija research papers are a complete lie - they create fictitious data. If it's experimental based, how do these people characterize their materials when they've got no equipment? If they wanna send their samples outside for measurement, most don't have the means to keep their samples stable, non-contaminated or non-oxidized. If it's theoretical computations, we certainly don't have big and strong computers for that in Naija. We don't even have the electricity to keep these equipment running 24/7 in the first place.

I've heard people buy distilled/DI water in kegs (WTF!!!). The best we had in my department in those days was a simple UV-Vis spectrophotometer that you can make yourself.

I only have this advise: look for a PhD degree outside Naija. Preferably US, Canada or Europe and make sure you fully understand the theory no matter how long it takes. But most importantly, learn everything you need to build those devices!

I have lost 4 years or more of my life just because I was born Nigerian. But we shall continue in our pursuit of fulfilling our dreams nonetheless!
Orga shut up
WHERE DO PEOPLE MAKE SPECTROPHOTOMETER THEMSELVES?
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 12:04am On Apr 04, 2019
interesting
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
dangotesmummy:
your case is like those criticizing buhari and hailing abacha.they're birds of a feather but with different methods. Those saying they have restructured the system are lying. They want you to go there because they know they have lost a lot of pg students that got frustrated with their bs

The old professors who call the shots are still there but underground calling the shots.an old professor cannot tell a hod or Dean who is a doctor to do something and he will say no.they put young PhD guys there as a stooge or camouflage while calling the shots underneath and pretend that New young PhD guys are there.

These guys just remodified their strategies grin

These young PhD holders who are hods are either their academic sons who have been loyal and subservient to them and so they rewarded them or their friends grin
Hahaaaaa cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 04, 2019
onyichick:
I did my m.sc at benue state university, I started I 2011 n rounded up in 2014 n I was the first to finish among my course mate.I HV to say it was the most trying n depressing time of my life.I thought of abandoning it because that's what most people do here cause of the stress.the whole experience killed my interest in furthering,it just made me hate education.
for every defence of which mine was three( proposal, internal n external) you'll provide breakfast for the lecturers which is meatpie,sugar,honey, Lipton,biscuit, peak milk,coffee, hot water.for lunch it's rice, chicken n salad,you'll HV to also buy sweets,bitter kola n kolanut bottled water,juice.then a bottle of wine for each of them to tk home.
grin grin
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 04, 2019
efficiencie:
Nairalanders, please and please, I would like to state that the openning comment that started this thread is not a representation of my views. I got a wind that this was on my followed topics and realized that someone must have had accces to my detail and posted all that in the openning comment. please and please I would like to state that:

That openning post is not a representation of my views. I have been careless with my security of my passwords and someone malicious and used that avenue to post all that about the University of Benin. Please and please moderator take down this thread. Thank you.
Why, Where you threatened?
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by efficiencie(m): 10:18am On Aug 05, 2019
asuustrike1:

No! I was invited for a tea party!!! grin
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 05, 2019
efficiencie:

grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 11:46am On Aug 05, 2019
asuustrike1:
he was obviously threatened
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 11:47am On Aug 05, 2019
efficiencie:

I thought as much
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by MrHighSea: 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2019
oyezsenior:

Thanks. I just purchased their form. Do you have an idea how much their current fee is and the shortest duration one can finish his program.
Au z ur programme goin on in CU, i planned buying dia form next year for p.hd water res. eng.
Advice a bro based on ur experience dia
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Chechem: 11:11pm On Oct 05, 2019
Please house, anyone with experience running a postgraduate programme in IMSU? PhD to be precise... Please share...

I am contemplating starting a PhD programme with them...
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Gisbourne44: 6:30am On Oct 08, 2019
Pls who knows how much it would cost me to do a MSc program in engineering in the university of Abuja.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Kirinwa: 8:33am On Dec 15, 2019
Between UI and Unizik, which of them is better for PG studies?

Things to consider are

Finance?
How fair, supportive and honest are the lecturers?
How equipped are their libraries?
Do their students finish on time?
Do they absorb their bright students after graduation?

etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 / Apply For Total E&P Undergraduate Scholarship 2015 For Nigerian Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.