Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,684 members, 7,809,589 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! (68706 Views)

Python Killed In Hostel At The Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa / Ayoola Oluwakemi Is Best African Female Postgraduate Student In China (Photo) / UNILAG Lecturer Stabs Postgraduate Student (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 12:41pm On Dec 31, 2016
Still expecting more comments and experiences
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by efficiencie(m): 12:43pm On Jan 06, 2017
Ugosample:
Still expecting more comments and experiences

Particularly from postgraduate students from other schools...this is an opportunity to give a firsthand evaluation of the academic prowess of our postgraduate institutions and help the uninformed make better decisions.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Ugosample(m): 12:46pm On Jan 06, 2017
efficiencie:

Particularly from postgraduate students from other schools...this is an opportunity to give a firsthand evaluation of the academic prowess of our postgraduate institutions and help the uninformed make better decisions.

Exactly.....
I've been thinking of going back to school tho, and based on the comments here, I may draw inferences
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by efficiencie(m): 12:04am On Jan 07, 2017
Nigeria is making me rethink the reason for having a degree...If one can study on his own, get amazing amounts of knowledge, one can with that knowledge turn his fortunes around instead of adhering to the institutionalized pattern of wasting time getting certificates and degrees that leave you dependent on getting a job!

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by schrondinger: 4:35am On Jan 08, 2017
Can still remember the stress I went through in futa, crying every week

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 6:05am On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:

My brother, na UNIBEN surprise me pass...Dem turn assignment to Small and Medium Scale Enterprise. Come see billing. Assignment com turn to pay as you go! I have seen Phd students from UNIBEN Economics that cannot interpret common multiple linear regression estimation output. Imagine a Professor saying in an MSc class that a constant elasticity of substitution function is a PhD related function. I just dey laff the Prof. A lot of idiots nowadays are Professors.
If you are a married man and you have you pretty wife doing a program in UNIBEN Economics, then be prepared to be the first of many husbands of your wife if your wife must succeed in getting good grades. At one point, those of us in the MSc program renamed the program MUMU.Sc.

The only valuable thing i can get from the department is the certificate. Studying in that school is a sheer waste of resources!
your post is highly disturbing but reflective of postgraduate education in all universities in Nigeria,you can't in good faith, expect a quality education in economics from any Nigerian schools, they lack the mathematical and computer/programming skills to do so.I'm also disturbed by the emerging pattern of sleeping with married women including visibly pregnant ones. i would advise you to apply for your PhD abroad especially Europe, Canada and USA since their PhD programs are free and you even earn money from them, this is especially true for the Scandinavian countries since i have done much research about higher education in Sweden. good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by greenermodels: 6:08am On Jan 08, 2017
lalasticlala,please this thread deserves the front-page.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:10am On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:
Dear Post Graduates,
I would love us to have a platform for sharing our experiences in Nigerian universities and this would, among other purposes, enable prospective postgraduates get acquainted with the happenings in our Universities, provide a platform for evaluating postgraduate education in our universities and expose the failures or successes of Nigerian universities at the postgraduate level.

By the grace and mercies of God, I have experienced postgraduate education in the Economics department of both the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and the University of Benin (UNIBEN) and I must say the experience leaves me with a terrible sour taste.

At UNILAG in 2011, I observed the repetition of 200level and 300level courses at the Masters level. Imagine a Masters student being taught such fundamental concepts as average revenue (AR), marginal revenue (MR) and total revenue (TR), elasticity of demand, elasticity of supply, constrained optimization (with the Lagrangian) etc all covered in 100 and 200 levels. I noticed how in macroeconomic theory, they avoided such topics as dynamic macroeconomics (covering DGSE modeling, overlapping generations modeling, representative agent modeling etc). I also noticed how some books were a no go area. Books like David Romer, Advanced Macroeconomics and Hal Varian, Advanced Microeconomics were well beyond the mental capacities of our Dr.s and Associate Prof.s and they were systematically avoided.

I left UNILAG to UNIBEN in 2014 believing in the age old reputation they purport to have but I was grossly disppointed. First, they taught History of Economic Thought at the Masters level. I wondered why we had to do it at the undergraduate level and repeat it again at the Masters level. As if that was not enough, I could see that the Prof.s there attempted to put up some level of mathematical sophistication in their lectures but their display was bland and vague as many a time we caught lecturers dictating textbooks verbatim to the class. The most alarming part is the act of these lecturers turning assignments to business ventures. A good instance is the Applied Econometrics lecturer, he taught the course haphazardly such that students were left without a clue of what he was teaching. Soon enough the renown and respected econometrician descended so low as to require a payment of 10,000 for him to conduct econometric analysis for those who cannot do it by themselves. Ofcourse, he stated that the payment was not compulsory, but those who didnt pay the said fee were awarded F irrespective of their academic prowess in econometrics. Other lecturers followed suit. The lecturers of Health Economics, Monetary Economics and a host of others followed suit with the exception of a few. More devastating is the fact that supervisors of MSc projects collected fees from their candidates in exchange for assisting them in their analysis. These sharp practices are common place at the Economics department, UNIBEN. It is saddening that despite the huge fees they charge [#150,000 (1st session) + #425000 (3rd semester)] they still provide very poor academic services and condone sharp practices.

No wonder we see graduates with BScs and MScs in Economics bereft of problem solving ideas...Please share your experiences and if you feel my observation is flawed please let us know with your observations.
my candid opinion and advise. If you keep moving from university to university you will be a rolling stone that gathers no moist.you will keep going from university to univerity without achieving anything worthwhile.moreso you will keep seeing their inadequacies and deficiencies because no university is an utopian univerity so stay put in any university of your choice. Take their courses even if it's repeated then empower/develop yourself privately. That way it's a win-win situation.earn their masters degree whilst developing yourself by reading outside and beyond whatever they teach. No university or lecturer is perfect

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by Venom104: 7:17am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
my candid opinion and advise. If you keep moving from university to university you will be a rolling stone that gathers no moist.you will keep going from university to univerity without achieving anything worthwhile.moreso you will keep seeing their inadequacies and deficiencies because no university is an utopian univerity so stay put in any university of your choice. Take their courses even if it's repeated then empower/develop yourself privately. That way it's a win-win situation.earn their masters degree whilst developing yourself by reading outside and beyond whatever they teach. No university or lecturer is perfect

Couldnt have said it any better myself..
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by scobaba: 7:18am On Jan 08, 2017
Did MBA in uniben between 2010 and 2012( part time).... Learnt nothing new. It was just a summary of year one to year three BSc. Not even final year. angry

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:21am On Jan 08, 2017
Venom104:

Couldnt have said it any better myself..

even doing a postgraduate degree in a private university in Nigeria is not without it's issues.

Every university in Nigeria has its own peculiar issues.I don't know of universities abroad but I know for sure no institution whether academic institution financial corporate or government institution is perfect because the human beings behind it are not perfect
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:23am On Jan 08, 2017
scobaba:
Did MBA in uniben between 2010 and 2012( part time).... Learnt nothing new. It was just a summary of year one to year three BSc. Not even final year. angry
then get their certificate and attend other academic seminars and confrences.

It's a pity that education in Nigeria has degenerated to regurgitating and pouring out old information. Gabbage in and gabbage out
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:26am On Jan 08, 2017
greenermodels:
your post is highly disturbing but reflective of postgraduate education in all universities in Nigeria,you can't in good faith, expect a quality education in economics from any Nigerian schools, they lack the mathematical and computer/programming skills to do so.I'm also disturbed by the emerging pattern of sleeping with married women including visibly pregnant ones. i would advise you to apply for your PhD abroad especially Europe, Canada and USA since their PhD programs are free and you even earn money from them, this is especially true for the Scandinavian countries since i have done much research about higher education in Sweden. good luck.
sleeping with women whether married or unmarried for grades favours etc is not a new thing neither does it happen in universities alone. It happens in all sectors of the society
I am not supporting the act though but people pay unnecessary attention on universities when it comes to issues like this.females sleep with movie directors for roles.bosses sleep with their female surbodinate for promotions doctors sleep with nurses as a blackmailing tool to cover their errors or inadeqauacies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 7:26am On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:

Can you imagine! And I was contemplating a PhD there...UNIZIK! @lastmessenger can you shed more light on the problems in your department at UNIZIK?
You are on your own if you dare try it. Bros abeg avoid that oo. UNN is even better in terms of PG studies even at that they still have their own wickness, but for now, my advice is avoid those Universities. UI is still better, i graduated from UNN though
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by MrHighSea: 7:30am On Jan 08, 2017
Pls u beta go to the biblical hell than study civil engineering M.SC in UNIPORT under the most popular professor. The prof that can tell ur external examiner to shut up n sit down.
Its like all M.SC in d school na 3 years n sch fees dy like obasanjo bank acct bal.

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by TWoods(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2017
efficiencie:

between 2005 and 2016 i have only been able to garner two degrees (with my intellectuality being, to a large extent, the result of my own effort) and that's more than 10 years...If i schooled in a better country with better educational standards i would have been a senior lecturer by now! Imagine how Nigerian universities are wasting the lives of its youths. SMH!

Wow! Between 2005 and 2010, I already earned a masters and phd in the United States, all for free! Postgraduate school in Nigeria is a waste of time and I'm glad I left as early as I could.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by odiagabros(m): 7:33am On Jan 08, 2017
Op... I graduated from uniben economics dept (bsc) everything u said abt d dept is true...most of the lectures are not even sound upstairs ... They re too money conscious.... Haaa Dr Clem...

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:34am On Jan 08, 2017
mrphysics:

You are on your own if you dare try it. Bros abeg avoid that oo. UNN is even better in terms of PG studies even at that they still have their own wickness, but for now, my advice is avoid those Universities. UI is still better, i graduated from UNN though
university of ibadan is living on past glory /reputation. They're not different from oau when it comes to unnecessary bureaucratic delays.oau like ibadan can give you 1001 reasons why you will not graduate OR why you don't deserve to graduate even after fulfilling all their requirements

They believe spending 8years for an MSc degree is a thing of pride and worth boasting about

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by kelvin21887(m): 7:34am On Jan 08, 2017
To be sincere, University of Portharcourt is worse than in terms of how very expensive offering a postgraduate program is there, you will pay 163,000 naira for first session, second session 110,000 naira for second session, then if u are lucky enough to graduate within this stipulated two years, of which most people spend more time than that, you now go ahead and pay a defense fee of 51,000 naira, plus many other dues such as plagiarism test fee, internal defense fee, and so on, not to mention of the recent increment in clearing yourself to collect your result to about 50k plus....its not as if they offer d best services

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ozolity(m): 7:34am On Jan 08, 2017
My dear I think UNN is a bit better. Just finished my MSc in Economics there nd applied for a PhD. There are reasonably sound lecturers who are up to date. The econometrics teacher is d best I ve seen. Nobody have asked me for one naira for anything. Though, there are still few not too good ones there, yet, d experience is worthwhile.

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:39am On Jan 08, 2017
kelvin21887:
To be sincere, University of Portharcourt is worse than in terms of how very expensive offering a postgraduate program is there, you will pay 163,000 naira for first session, second session 110,000 naira for second session, then if u are lucky enough to graduate within this stipulated two years, of which most people spend more time than that, you now go ahead and pay a defense fee of 51,000 naira, plus many other dues such as plagiarism test fee, internal defense fee, and so on, not to mention of the recent increment in clearing yourself to collect your result to about 50k plus....its not as if they offer d best services
really? 51k for defense fee? undecided

So what is the school fees FOR when you will pay for plagiarism test fee? When there are software's that you can sit in your room and download on your laptop that is what they're extorting money for? Nigerians! !!!!!!

And we want corruption to end?smh

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 7:41am On Jan 08, 2017
dangotesmummy:
university of ibadan is living on past glory /reputation. They're not different from oau when it comes to unnecessary bureaucratic delays.oau like ibadan can give you 1001 reasons why you will not graduate OR why you don't deserve to graduate even after fulfilling all their requirements

They believe spending 8years for an MSc degree is a thing of pride and worth boasting about
Chai bros, i am planning to go there for an M.Sc program. What is this nah, everyone blaming buhari forgetting that this lecturers are devils. i was running away from UNN though i had they have restructured the M.Sc program, even at that UI is still better than UNN in terms of PG studies

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by riczy(m): 7:42am On Jan 08, 2017
I jux came to read comments, very hilarious hahahahahahahahaa

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by eneye1(m): 7:42am On Jan 08, 2017
I think some departments are trying. For example, I never liked University of Ilorin, I had to go there for a reason. I enjoyed my 1year M.Sc.I enjoyed access to internet. When I had issues with my thesis that I needed to go for field research, even the HOD made contact for me. My own opinion is I think Nigerian University are seriously underfunded, some of the professors go for international colloquial and conferences but lack finance to implement good things they saw outside. I think mathematics department of University of Ilorin are trying when it comes to Msc

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by odiagabros(m): 7:42am On Jan 08, 2017
ozolity:
My dear I think UNN is a bit better. Just finished my MSc in Economics there nd applied for a PhD. There are reasonably sound lecturers who are up to date. The econometrics teacher is d best I ve seen. Nobody have asked me for one naira for anything. Though, there are still few not too good ones there, yet, d experience is worthwhile.
Pls how did it take you to complete your msc dere?
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by GoldenJAT(m): 7:43am On Jan 08, 2017
MrHighSea:
Pls u beta go to the biblical hell than study civil engineering M.SC in UNIPORT under the most popular professor. The prof that can tell ur external examiner to shut up n sit down.
Its like all M.SC in d school na 3 years n sch fees dy like obasanjo bank acct bal.
mornin Bro....i planned on running a postgraduate diploma in uniport as my cgpa isnt up2d required grade 4 a straight msc programme.do u av any idea abt their mode of admission,how much they pay 4d duration of d program...and any other info u can gladly pass across.GOODMORNIN once again.
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by olasmith10(m): 7:43am On Jan 08, 2017
I think unilorin PG program is also a bit better than others..the timing is prompt..

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 7:47am On Jan 08, 2017
ozolity:
How many years sir. I am running from my school because i know what those lecturers can do. It may be easier for you if you didn't have your undergraduate there.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by mrphysics(m): 7:48am On Jan 08, 2017
But when will Seun, lalsticlala and Mynd44 do their Postgraduate studies?

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by dangotesmummy: 7:51am On Jan 08, 2017
MrHighSea:
some professors are actually high handed arrogant and think they know everything while those around them are foolish. They have a way of teaching in a condescending way.They don't teach for students to understand learn and apply. It's an ego thing for them and an opportunity to show off Their ancient knowledge whilst bringing others down. Their supervisees are their major victims .if they don't know instead of enlightening them they bring them down and always want them to be subservient to them

E.g carrying their bags cleaning their office and other b.s.

A family friend told me of his supervisor when he was doing his masters in xyz university to buy him amala and goat meat before he reads his chapter 2.he even gave him cooler and money. He put the cooler inside nylon and was telling a grown 40something year old man to buy amala for him

I bust into laughter when he was jisting me so I asked him what then did you do.he said he walked out OF his office and abandoned the masters to resume back to work from his study leave

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by ozolity(m): 7:52am On Jan 08, 2017
I finished in just one year. If u are good, no lecturer will delay u apart from just one or two supetvisors who normally delays their supervisees. Though the standard to pass exams and do ur project is quit high, but, in UNN Economics, ur success depends on u nd God. quote author=odiagabros post=52628236]
Pls how did it take you to complete your msc dere? [/quote]
Re: Share Your Experiences As A Postgraduate Student In A Federal University! by keside(m): 7:53am On Jan 08, 2017
I am about to start my MPH at Bayero university Kano, any info abt the PG studies at BUK?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Countries with the highest number of International Students in the United States / 2 Lesbians Caught At Redeemers University / Please Help Me Solve This Book 4 Quantitative Reasoning Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.