Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,411 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? (48113 Views)

Man Gets First Haircut In 15 Years To Join Army — See The Transformation / Haircut Styles For Black Men / Cute Afro Men Haircut Styles, Select According To Your Head Shape( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Originalsly: 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
2dugged:
Some hair styles are just not it,especially this dread that seems to be the new crase in town
This is the problem.... any hairstyle that is suitable to our hair... is like taboo...as in dreads is bad but perm is good....for op..crew low cut is good... that's more like the White boys... keep your hair short.. so the nappiness won't show!...that's how your father and so many others see it! In this century.... that's over.... look at the Black celebrities... sportsmen etc.... see any of them in Jerry Curls?...they be making a statement by rocking Black hairstyles. You should dreads tell him you're going natural!... but fisrt just make sure you have another place to stay!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Lastbender: 5:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
EvangelistNdudi:
how will you feel if you get to know that your son hiss at you in his mind?
i will be glad to know my child respects me enough to caution himself/herself around me
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by firstclassmumu: 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2016
queenitee:
My lips?
yes your lip
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Originalsly:
This is the problem.... any hairstyle that is suitable to our hair... is like taboo...as in dreads is bad but perm is good....for op..crew low cut is good... that's more like the White boys... keep your hair short.. so the nappiness won't show!...that's how your father and so many others see it! In this century.... that's over.... look at the Black celebrities... sportsmen etc.... see any of them in Jerry Curls?...they be making a statement by rocking Black hairstyles. You should dreads tell him you're going natural!... but fisrt just make sure you have another place to stay!
don't get me wrong, I am not against some kind of hair styles o,some people have this kind of strong face,plus you now go and be carrying dread, scattered on your head like fowl yansh, you sag ontop, with your strong face, and worse still you come dark ontop, my friend you just confirmed your self to be a suspected cultist,short hair with spotting waves won't hurt, infact I like the first and second pic up there

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by queenitee(f): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
firstclassmumu:
yes your lip
Do you have a problem with it?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by chinnyonwu(m): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
One of the best things i feel you can do for yourself is to struggle for independence. Just move out of your house

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Lastbender: 5:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
almarthins:

Ah! Huh u sure say na lower u lower am? By the what's ur neighbourhood like ? If too many sanctimonious self righteous rags plenty for there be sure your hairstyle will branded rebellious.
na dem full the area

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by tosyne2much(m): 5:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
zicoraads:

No, it doesn't. It's just the way our society here has been 'programmed' to think. I have very responsible and hardworking men who keep afros and all. These are guys who have wives and kids. Guys who are absolutely intelligent. So, no, I totally disagree.
It's everywhere across the world.. Have you ever wondered why anytime a crime is committed somewhere and the police arrives at the scene, the first set of people they will pack are those on tattoos and ridiculous hair cuts before considering packing a gentle looking man on low cut on suit

Don't let your sentiment cloud your reasoning from making sound judgment

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Immorttal: 5:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
makydebbie:
Something like......
i had a stomach ache laughing. grin are you a comedian?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Reference(m): 5:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
Well, I think people accentuate whatever valuables they have. Tennis players insure their hands, footballers pamper their feet, bodybuilders spend time and treasure on their bodies. Now if there is nothing visually outstanding, expensive and well cultured the natural assumption will be that it resides on the inside, either in the brain or in the heart which leaves a lot to be expected.

So they assume rightly or wrongly, that..... that is all you have to offer, that is what you are about, that is where your time and treasure is expended and it kinda.... insufficient except if you are going to be a model or a world class hair dresser....

Just like when you see the fairer sex, ladies overdoing it. The natural assumption is that, that is their best foot forward and there probably isn't more to offer. People always put their best foot forward. Give them a break. They don't want you forming glass ceilings over your life.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Lastbender: 5:20pm On Dec 28, 2016
swtcharissa:

U for hiss out...make he dash u slap when go send goose pimples for ur body anytime u remember am...lol
grin
swtcharissa:

U for hiss out...make he dash u slap when go send goose pimples for ur body anytime u remember am...lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by zicoraads: 5:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
tosyne2much:
It's everywhere across the world.. Have you ever wondered why anytime a crime is committed somewhere and the police arrives at the scene, the first set of people they will pack are those with dreadlocks and ridiculous hair cuts before considering packing a gentle looking man on low cut

Don't let your sentiment cloud your reasoning from making sound judgment
Which police? Nigerian police I guess grin cheesy No, I'm not talking because you think I'm somehow trying to defend my friends. The best graduating student of my faculty, the year before mine, was an afro spotting dude. If the policeman is arresting an afro spotting dude, then it's either the company he is keeping or the way of dressing.

I can't imagine my friend in a suit, and your friend who is on low cut...a crime is committed and mine would be picked, while yours is dressed in jeans and shirt. E no go happen!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Xtopher123(m): 5:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
Check my profile youll see what I posted some months ago regarding this same issue and my hairstyle..

https://www.nairaland.com/3034407/why-blacks-criticised-over-hairstyle

Here's a picture of me attending the West African Architecture Festival in Portharcourt with my dreads and the organisation i work for dont even look at those things instead theyre after what you can offer..

Still rocking the hairstyle right now and its already grown into a pony tail and I'm packing it already.. I'm glad I didnt cut it initially due to pressure from the society..

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2016
Dont mind our parents, they were victims of our neanderthal past. They believe that designing or keeping long hair is abomination and speaks badly of your upbringing. Even some parents will think you have 'joined bad gang'. That a woman can not barb her hair except for culturally approved occasions. It is a reminder of our neanderthal past.

But now that we are 'exposed' to civilization, why are the parents' mindset still hooked to the neanderthal past ? ..The Answer is DNA, what my village people call 'blood'. Dem go say, e dey for blood.

Meanwhile, can I attribute our assumption that whoever isnt clean shaved or cleanly barbed is broke or unkept ? Huh ? If you reason this way, then truly, your grandkids will create a thread on nairaland with title "Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having "bushy Hair" as being broke and unkept?)

May God Bless its Creator.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by samsam2019: 5:28pm On Dec 28, 2016
Those old folks are jealous cos they are already bald grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by EKLE: 5:29pm On Dec 28, 2016
shukudi:
. Hope d day ur choice of hair style land u in SARS trouble, u will not need ur parent's help, since u disobey them full time.
SARS trouble my ass...even army no fit tell me shit...because am wearing a particular hairstyle doesn't make me irresponsible...you just need to know your right
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by firstclassmumu: 5:33pm On Dec 28, 2016
queenitee:
Do you have a problem with it?
yes
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by EvangelistNdudi(m): 5:40pm On Dec 28, 2016
Lastbender:
i will be glad to know my child respects me enough to caution himself/herself around me
ok
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by tosyne2much(m): 5:42pm On Dec 28, 2016
zicoraads:

Which police? Nigerian police I guess grin cheesy No, I'm not talking because you think I'm somehow trying to defend my friends. The best graduating student of my faculty, the year before mine, was an afro spotting dude. If the policeman is arresting an afro spotting dude, then it's either the company he is keeping or the way of dressing.

I can't imagine my friend in a suit, and your friend who is on low cut...a crime is committed and mine would be picked, while yours is dressed in jeans and shirt. E no go happen!
I no wan argue with you.. The truth is that appearance shows the manner in any part of the world, so stop deceiving yourself

Why do people people try to get the best of haircut when going for job interviews or to the embassy to apply for visa? To look decent shey?

This is to tell you how these like things count
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Ahmadgani(m): 5:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
I remembered when I was in school, I spent 3 semesters without traveling home and all those while I didn't cut my hair. when I finally got home, my mum started crying. she thought I had joined the bad gangs. i tried to let her understand but to no avail. I ended up with stone cold just to please her.

the most important thing is to keep your patents happy until they leave for the hereafter
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
Stevolarlah:
I don't know what there problem really is, I came home the other day with beards, and everybody was like "what are you turning to"
why not wear haircut that truly represents ur person? Are you a celebrity? Any haircut you cannot wear to meet the vice chancellor of your university or president or beta still an employer is not urs. Take it off. Certain haircuts make us look irresponsible. I wear afro any day any time.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by samsyano1: 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
Abeg no carry one crazy hair go ur lecturer front ooo. Or else u go cry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 28, 2016
adioolayi:
Don't worry man... keep on with any hair style you "comfortable" with and doesn't suit the norm of your environment... the day SARS pick you on the street without any offense... just because of your haircut.. your eye go clear grin

This is Nigeria, factor in your environment in your look and dress sense to avoid sad tale.
true talk
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
factorial1:
Not only do my mum hate abnormal haircut, but also 'afro'. I see nothing wrong in afro as long as you trim and treat it regularly.

I don't come home at times because of that... I look good more on afro (normal afro), but she doesn't seem to understand. She always think keeping hair is tantamount to irresponsibility and hooliganism.

Besides, I dislike abnormal haircut too... the likes of those posted by the OP.
maybe your afro is too much, try reducing it. I wear afro too and people often call me Prof and Rev based on my look in afro and my lenses. Afro represents maturity any day.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 28, 2016
brostheo:
All my life it has been old school,my father hated anything style.Its either completely full or low cut or better still skin. um already used to it tho
nice afro, but urs plenty OOO. This was my undergraduate style. Now I wear moderate afro
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by wizflower(f): 6:00pm On Dec 28, 2016
Cutting it low is less expensive because you won't go back to the salon until after 3 weeks but if you anyhow you will visit the salon in less than a week. How parents they tink of money and besides we are Nigerians and even if your parents don't talk about the hair your pastor, Revd and even your parents friends will. Some will even tell their children not to mingle with you again. lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by mukhcech(m): 6:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
Why do naive Nigeria youths see having irresponsible haircut as nice and cute.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by shenaxy: 6:02pm On Dec 28, 2016
FILEBE:

Ghandi has died, Malcom x, lutherking. You only mentioned M.j. yeah. Lil wayne too
Perhaps
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by zicoraads: 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2016
tosyne2much:
I no wan argue with you.. The truth is that appearance shows the manner in any part of them world, so stop deceiving yourself

Why do people people try to get the best of haircut when going to the embassy to apply for visa? To look decent shey?
Sigh...this boy! Stop shifting goal posts. I'm giving you practical examples and you are here telling me about embassy applications. More often than not, people are judged based on their manner of dressing, not hair cuts. I am trying to imagine Abiola or Ken (friends of mine) removing their afro because they are going for an embassy interview grin cheesy. Guys whose suits alone are in thousands of naira.

Or, Uti or Ehiz.

You need a clique upgrade my friend wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by tosyne2much(m): 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
zicoraads:

Sigh...this boy! Stop shifting goal posts. I'm giving you practical examples and you are here telling me about embassy applications. More often than not, people are judged based on their manner of dressing, not hair cuts. I am trying to imagine Abiola or Ken (friends of mine) removing their afro because they are going for an embassy interview grin cheesy. Guys whose suits alone are in thousands of naira.

Or, Uti or Ehiz.

You need a clique upgrade my friend wink
I need a clique upgrade? What's that supposed to mean?

Alryt then, you win
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by uwajeh(m): 6:41pm On Dec 28, 2016
We all carried stupid haircuts when we were younger and we were so certain that we looked pretty fly.

It was only when we attained adulthood and got married that we truly understood how stupid we looked. I guess with time you'll realise how stupid those haircuts really look.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by sirqeeboi(m): 6:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
I don't know any other hair cut except low cut sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Need Banner Designer Or Any Graphics Design Work? Just Click / Ugochi Ihezue Wins Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria MBGN 2017 (Photos) / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.