Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? (48103 Views)

Man Gets First Haircut In 15 Years To Join Army — See The Transformation / Haircut Styles For Black Men / Cute Afro Men Haircut Styles, Select According To Your Head Shape( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by olumide4christ: 10:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
uwajeh:
We all carried stupid haircuts when we were younger and we were so certain that we looked pretty fly.

It was only when we attained adulthood and got married that we truly understood how stupid we looked. I guess with time you'll realise how stupid those haircuts really look.

Bros... very true what you have said. I'm sure that all those who have supported the OP's view are still very young like the OP or yet to be married. Sincere married folks can't talk the way they hav e been talking...marriage and fatherhood a lot of times transforms boys to true men & brings along with it some level of maturity and responsibility!!

In my many actions, I daily seek to be a good example to my wife and daughter.... no small boy thinking or behaviour anymore!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
Make money bro and no one will tell you sh!t about your hair style.... simple...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Immorttal: 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
makydebbie:
I got the pic from a friend toogrin
you gat so many friends bae. kiss
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by olumide4christ: 11:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
Here's my story about haircuts...I never had an issue with my parents as per haircuts.

Up to age 16-18 years, I regularly had a haircut called layers (don't know if its still in vogue now). However, when I became born-again, it was impressed in my spirit that that hairstyle did not portray me as a Christian. I decided to stop it and began to have a simple very low cut, up till this day almost 20 years after.

One thing the young generation must know is that haircut along with your general appearance - speaks a lot of whom you are; can attract or repel favour from you; can put you into or prevent you from deep trouble...that's the reason why some parents are emphatic about it.

For those who are disputing the fact that SARS can arrest people with irresponsible looking haircuts, hear this true story...I had a neighbour, 19 year old boy, he claimed to be a Christian but was always sporting rough, unkempt hair/hairstyle that made him look like a tout. I advised him many times, as a Christian and as someone younger than all my younger brothers, to have a decent haircut, but all to no avail. One day, my wife decided to advise him also and he now opened up to my wife that the previous week when he was going to church, an Army man ( not even SARS time) accosted him at Ojuelegba, searched and at the end released him only because of the bible that was found in his bag and the suit he was wearing, thus affirming what I had been telling him all along. A week later, he went to have a more decent haircut.

Sometimes, it takes some people to have some negative experiences before they learn BUT one personal policy that has helped me a lot in life is "WE LEARN FROM OTHER PEOPLE'S MISTAKES/EXPERIENCES, NOT NECESSARILY OURS".

For one person who said he will enforce his right if SARS arrest him, I want to say that only a person in his right state of mind will talk about rights..when the soldiers/mopol have malhandled somebody, its only the parents/family of the person that can talk about rights. Still remember my NYSC orientation camp days where I was malhandled by soldiers for oversleeping on my bed when a midnight parade was called....U NO GO GET MOUTH TO ASK FOR OR REMEMBER YOUR RIGHTS IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by chiraqDemon(m): 12:13am On Dec 29, 2016
I dont answer them again.......when they start i just walk away or ask if they are the ones rocking the hair.....my head my hair my choice....afterall na my head go pain me when i wan comb d high hair no b ya own
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by chiraqDemon(m): 12:24am On Dec 29, 2016
olumide4christ:

Bros... very true what you have said. I'm sure that all those who have supported the OP's view are still very young like the OP or yet to be married. Sincere married folks can't talk the way they hav e been talking...marriage and fatherhood a lot of times transforms boys to true men & brings along with it some level of maturity and responsibility!!

In my many actions, I daily seek to be a good example to my wife and daughter.... no small boy thinking or behaviour anymore!!
To me hairstyle does not necessarily portray responsibility or maturity
E.g if u look at most pictures of rapists and robbers in nigeria online and in the papers u notice that most of them rock skin cut which is considered the most respinsible hairstyle in nigeria....
I have an old uncle that sports his fade/flat top and looks very neat and responsible....
Im just trying to say everyonw should rock a fitting hairstyle and not just go for what is termed responsible by others....hairstyle that makes u look good will most likely also make u look responsible too grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by hardon1(m): 3:33am On Dec 29, 2016
olumide4christ:

There is nothing true there, am even surprised that the poster you quoted used the word “stupid haircut”. Does he expect a 20 or 18 year old boy to look or behave like 40 year old man. All I know is that there is time for everything.
Younger people naturally fancy stylish or trendy haircut because that what appeals to them at that time and age - and not because they are stupid. It’s just the time and age
Criminal tendencies on the other hand is not a function of how you look. It’s just that Our law enforcement agents here are yet to come to terms with that, hence their attitude toward person with unusual hairstyle.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by ewizard1: 7:04am On Dec 29, 2016
ORIJIN201:
I don't see anything in Haircuts like the one you posted up there, But when I was in my teenage years before 18, My dad was the one paying for my haircut. He screams any time I cut anything close to that up there. when I clicked 18 I jejely stopped collecting nothing from him I just cut what I like ... that didn't stop him from screaming, but I really don't care when he does. My money my Haircut he could Cry me a River about it. undecided
Gbam!

As long as he doesn't pay for the haircut anymore. Na look and pass!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Tellemall: 7:04am On Dec 29, 2016
tosyne2much:
It's everywhere across the world.. Have you ever wondered why anytime a crime is committed somewhere and the police arrives at the scene, the first set of people they will pack are those with dreadlocks and ridiculous hair cuts before considering packing a gentle looking man on low cut

Don't let your sentiment cloud your re uhasoning from making sound judgment

Worldwide kids with bad haircuts are considered questionable kids.

It's surprising the person who began the thread is acting like only Nigerians behave that way.

As you say, look at a series of foreign mugshots and you will see the most tattooed people with the most ridiculous hair styles. Often the inner man is reflected outwardly. And hair is a very good teller of the internals.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by addikt(m): 8:15am On Dec 29, 2016
[quote author=NevetsIbot post=52339384] gbayi bros....... How often do you refresh the hairstyle?[/quotpe]

every 2 weeks bro, but my roommate does that every week. I don't really have time and patience to always sit down under a berber....lol......plus I don't have a fast growing hair, I'm 27, still no beards hahaha...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 29, 2016
tosyne2much:
I need a clique upgrade? What's that supposed to mean?

Alryt then, you win
Folks wear slippers to embassies. That is poor pple's thinking.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 8:37am On Dec 29, 2016
hardon1:

There is nothing true there, am even surprised that the poster you quoted used the word “stupid haircut”. Does he expect a 20 or 18 year old boy to look or behave like 40 year old man. All I know is that there is time for everything.
Younger people naturally fancy stylish or trendy haircut because that what appeals to them at that time and age - and not because they are stupid. It’s just the time and age
Criminal tendencies on the other hand is not a function of how you look. It’s just that Our law enforcement agents here are yet to come to terms with that, hence their attitude toward person with unusual hairstyle.
I love this!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by NevetsIbot(m): 8:42am On Dec 29, 2016
[quote author=addikt post=52349698][/quote]bro... 27 or 21?... You look 21 o.

I do mine every two weeks. My barber is so fast and doesnt waste time. I spend aproximately 15mins for a coool haircut from the scratch.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Cool83(m): 8:54am On Dec 29, 2016
that's the mentality of average African, but i prefer low cut than all these crazo
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by tosyne2much(m): 9:10am On Dec 29, 2016
elfmann:

Folks wear slippers to embassies. That is poor pple's thinking.
Can you please expatiate sir
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by tosyne2much(m): 9:12am On Dec 29, 2016
Tellemall:

Worldwide kids with bad haircuts are considered questionable kids.

It's surprising the person who began the thread is acting like only Nigerians behave that way.

As you say, look at a series of foreign mugshots and you will see the most tattooed people with the most ridiculous hair styles. Often the inner man is reflected outwardly. And hair is a very good teller of the internals.
God views you my brother ooo.. I just had to give up on that dude jawe

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by firstclassmumu: 10:07am On Dec 29, 2016
queenitee:
And what exactly is it?
I LOVE IT
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by queenitee(f): 11:06am On Dec 29, 2016
firstclassmumu:
I LOVE IT
Thanks
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by firstclassmumu: 11:14am On Dec 29, 2016
queenitee:
Thanks
is that all you have to say?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by firstclassmumu: 11:14am On Dec 29, 2016
queenitee:
Thanks
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by queenitee(f): 11:23am On Dec 29, 2016
firstclassmumu:
Yea
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by firstclassmumu: 11:26am On Dec 29, 2016
queenitee:
Yea
ok
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2016
factorial1:
I do that often. In fact, people call me all sorts like Prof, Bishop (maybe due to my little knowledge of the Scriptures), Pastor etc. It doesn't look rough; it looks nice always. The main issue here is that my mum is the no-fashion type. She doesn't use earrings, make up, braids and all that. She's always look natural herself. So, she's against it and also believes anybody that keeps hair isn't responsible.

That's the main issue, brother.

The hairstyle below is too much in her sight and I can say it was the fullest afro I've kept ever. I cut it just of recent. It pained me ehn.
this is similar to mine. Nice afro! But Ur mum needs chill óò, you are now a man for heaven's sake and needs freedom on issues like dis.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2016
brostheo:
Hahahah I day consider go barb am woh but I they fear all these barbers
use scissors na grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by factorial1(m): 2:34pm On Dec 29, 2016
franciskaine:
this is similar to mine. Nice afro! But Ur mum needs chill óò, you are now a man for heaven's sake and needs freedom on issues like dis.
She wouldn't listen. I've tried to explain times without number. She sees Christianity as against looking good. You know all those Iya Jesu now. Lol

Meanwhile, we just need to obey our parents even when it's not that convenient for us. If not for them, do it for God. Its just for a while.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? by Nobody: 2:29am On Jan 01, 2017
tosyne2much:
Can you please expatiate sir
When u are poor, u fidget a lot. It shows at d embassy, putting on suit and sweating under AC. Rich folks walk in with bathroom slippers, unshaved and get: do u know it is cold in Chicago now? And u reply: this is d only time I have to visit.

Aku na-esi obi ike!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Need Banner Designer Or Any Graphics Design Work? Just Click / Ugochi Ihezue Wins Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria MBGN 2017 (Photos) / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.