Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,276 members, 7,954,092 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:14 PM

Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? (7920 Views)

Poll: Who should keep the ring

The man: 62% (10 votes)
The woman: 37% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

My Engagement aω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ Wedding Pictures / She Doesn't Wear Her Wedding Ring Cos Her Husband Removed His Own / Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by posakosa(m): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Works out or not, it was a gift and shd not be returned.
That ought to be for her to keep, sell and use the money to clean your heart of the Nigro

Well first, I think that it depends on the break up. BUT its a symbolic gift, its not just any kind of gift and I think that it should be thrown away or returned.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by posakosa(m): 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2009
naijatoday:

if it is a cheap ring, I will encourage her to give it back. If it is expensive, the girl should sell it and keep the money.

hehehe---- and what if the guy wants the ring back ? or borrowed money to buy the ring ?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 10:03pm On Nov 23, 2009
posakosa:

Well first, I think that it depends on the break up. BUT its a symbolic gift, its not just any kind of gift and I think that it should be thrown away or returned.

Symbolic or not, gift is a gift and shd not be returned
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 10:05pm On Nov 23, 2009
posakosa:

hehehe---- and what if the guy wants the ring back ? or borrowed money to buy the ring ?

If the guy asked for it, tell him that your a$$ dont chop am.
If he borrowed money to buy the ring, too bad for him, BTW, the money he will get back will not be same value when he bought it anyways, and that will teach him to leave within his means
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 10:40pm On Nov 23, 2009
OK, fhemmmy
lets make this easier, i vounteer 2 b a 1 man panel 2 judge ds ongoing debate 'WHO KIPS THE RING'
I promise to be fair, lol, let d debating begin proper

grin grin grin grin
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 10:53pm On Nov 23, 2009
take a vote and tell us where you stand as well . . . .no joro joro
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 11:00pm On Nov 23, 2009
yes oo no joro joro

as a fair judge it z rung n abominable dt i join an ongoin debate
ol i do z make note,

n no1 note z; femy hv u eva been maried or dumped at d alter. why ds debate cheesy grin tongue
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 11:09pm On Nov 23, 2009
baybbootz:

yes oo no joro joro

as a fair judge it z rung n abominable dt i join an ongoin debate
ol i do z make note,

n no1 note z; femy hv u eva been maried or dumped at d alter. why ds debate cheesy grin tongue

hahahahahahah
me being dumped at the alter? never oh
I am happily taken, and it is just a question
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 11:17pm On Nov 23, 2009
lol
ma dearest fhemmy pls do nt live in denial

u kan talk 2 mi, am a psychologist in d making, hahahahaaha, wink wink
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 2:17am On Nov 24, 2009
talk to you about what?
I am happily taken and that is a fact.
We just here having fun sharing views and ideas.
atole
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by pek(m): 10:25am On Nov 24, 2009
the man gives the ring to the woman to cement their engagement, the engagement is broken by the woman, why on earth will she keep the ring? the guy got to have the ring back. the lady keeping is like saying yes, i am interested. give it back and it is over.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 24, 2009
u gave the ring?
u promised what brought about the ring?
so if the man is the answer, must he have to get anoda ring for someone else he wishes to marry?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by echobee(f): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2009
the man
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by sassyril(f): 1:07pm On Nov 24, 2009
i fink d gyal shd giv it bak 2 d guy
this ring is no ordinary ring,it was
supposed 2 a sign of 2gedaness
d gyal sayin yes i will marry u so
if they r no more 2geda y keep it?

moreover y wud a gyal want 2 keep
remindin hersef of a luv dat neva wrkd
by lukin at d ring.
giv him d ring n free yasef
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Pelummy(f): 1:33pm On Nov 24, 2009
2 my own knwledge & understanding,the lady should return the ring.or if she tinks she cn stl superglue the broken pot let her keep it
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by bigfoot79(m): 2:10pm On Nov 24, 2009
From he eyes of the law an engagement rinig is a gift to the woman, and the rules guiding gifts under the Nigerian Law of Contract, will not frown at it if the woman keeps her gift or otherwise part with it as she deem fit once the engagenment is called off.
However if there was a pre-nuptial agreement that spelt out how things will be shared after the engagement is over , then that is the one the law will honour.

but that na oyinbo, why she go kiip the ring wen she go go dey follow another man if no be thief aka BARAWO, i bet any lady would throw back a ring made with copper
anyway if u be lady and u wan keep ur engagement after dust don settle call i be lawyer trouble na my work 08026144703
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 24, 2009
the woman should return the ring, or better still throw it away, but keeping is a no no no !!!
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Bokoharam: 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2009
I GUESS THE ANSWER IS:

"IF A SPOUSE DIES, WHO KEEPS THE RING? DOES WIDOW(ER) STILL KEEP THE RING?"
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 24, 2009
It is not a gift but a symbol of commitment.So if the lady is not ready for commitment again,she returns the ring without been asked.

@ Fhemmmy
Whn u had already known she shld not return it why did u start the topic.SHe shld return it.I think youare supporting her to keep the ring cos it is expensive if not u wuld have advised her to thrown it away.
Mind you the ring does not belong to her but to the guy's right woman.She was just fortunate to use for the period of the dating/courtship.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On Nov 24, 2009
nikkykay:

It is not a gift but a symbol of commitment.So if the lady is not ready for commitment again,she returns the ring without been asked.

@ Fhemmmy
Whn u had already known she shld not return it why did u start the topic.SHe shld return it.I think youare supporting her to keep the ring cos it is expensive if not u wuld have advised her to thrown it away.
Mind you the ring does not belong to her but to the guy's right woman.She was just fortunate to use for the period of the dating/courtship.

It started with a question btw me and someone else, and i think let us throw it to the house.
I am shocked that people think the woman shd give the ring back.
It is a gift and shd be kept by the woman
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by posakosa(m): 5:01pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fhemmy are you male or female ?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by yme1(f): 5:09pm On Nov 24, 2009
ogbono feli feli
that depends
if the ring is expensive and will cost much, i keep it and it goes to the black market direct cheesy
but it also depends on how we broke up if he his mister niceee that i care about so much i might do him a favour and let him have the ring undecided
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nezan(m): 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
A story with a bad ending aint good.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by SeanT21(f): 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2009
The one who bought it,can pawn it.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by tolly4real(f): 6:16pm On Nov 24, 2009
once they break up the lady shld return the engagement ring
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Hauwa1: 6:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
the woman should keep it esp if the guy caused the problem and pawn it wink. i wouldn't like a guy to give me his ex engagement ring.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 7:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
posakosa:

Fhemmy are you male or female ?

I am male oh, at least the last time i checked when i went to pee in da washroom.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 7:32pm On Nov 24, 2009
*Hauwa*:

the woman should keep it esp if the guy caused the problem and pawn it wink. i wouldn't like a guy to give me his ex engagement ring.

Agreed.
tolly4real:

once they break up the lady shld return the engagement ring

give us more reason.
SeanT21:

The one who bought it,can pawn it.

reason why
y me:

ogbono feli feli
that depends
if the ring is expensive and will cost much, i keep it and it goes to the black market direct cheesy
but it also depends on how we broke up if he his mister niceee that i care about so much i might do him a favour and let him have the ring undecided

I feel u jare.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by mamagee3(f): 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Why shd she give a gift back?

It's not a gift
It's more of a bond that holds the both of them
. wink
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 8:34pm On Nov 24, 2009
femmy dnt gt scared wz jus pulin ya legs wink wink

yme u soooooo hit d hammer on d head,

i fink d ring shud b sold n d money shud b split, esp if it was expensive wink wink
if nt d guys nxt wifey cn kip it, grin grin
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 9:15pm On Nov 24, 2009
mama-gee:

It's not a gift
It's more of a bond that holds the both of them
. wink

I totally disagree.
It is a gift to seal the bond, so it is still a gift
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 9:16pm On Nov 24, 2009
baybbootz:

femmy dnt gt scared wz jus pulin ya legs wink wink

yme u soooooo hit d hammer on d head,

i fink d ring shud b sold n d money shud b split, esp if it was expensive wink wink
if nt d guys nxt wifey cn kip it, grin grin

hahahahahaha, u are forgiven.

The woman shd keep the ring, she could pawn it and use the money to have fun

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Is A Man Old Enough To Marry? / Married Men: Share Your Bitter Marriage Experience / What Or Who Influences Your Critical Decisions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.