Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? (7730 Views)

Poll: Who should keep the ring

The man: 62% (10 votes)
The woman: 37% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

My Engagement aω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ Wedding Pictures / She Doesn't Wear Her Wedding Ring Cos Her Husband Removed His Own / Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by mamagee3(f): 9:44pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I totally disagree.
It is a gift to seal the bond, so it is still a gift

It's a gift but you can't say a wedding ring is a gift
It's more of a gift or a present, it's a bond/covenant between the both of them
When that bond/covenant is broken, the ring should be returned
. cheesy cheesy
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 9:55pm On Nov 24, 2009
mama-gee:

It's a gift but you can't say a wedding ring is a gift
It's more of a gift or a present, it's a bond/covenant between the both of them
When that bond/covenant is broken, the ring should be returned
. cheesy cheesy

If that is your theory, that means when a man and a woman divorce, they will have to return the rings? Now to who?
Say the woman bought both rings, cos the man paid for the wedding gown, and other stuff and when they got to the store to buy the ring, the used the credit card of the woman.
Now they are are divorced, who do they return the rings to?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2009
fhemmy vs mama gee

lol

me likey grin grin grin
do i gt 2 judge?
pweety plsssssss smiley smiley
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2009
baybbootz:

fhemmy vs mama gee

lol

me likey grin grin grin
do i gt 2 judge?
pweety plsssssss smiley smiley

Ofcourse, i am winning
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by mamagee3(f): 10:04pm On Nov 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

If that is your theory, that means when a man and a woman divorce, they will have to return the rings? Now to who?
Say the woman bought both rings, cos the man paid for the wedding gown, and other stuff and when they got to the store to buy the ring, the used the credit card of the woman.
Now they are are divorced, who do they return the rings to?

If they are both divorced, then they should throw their rings away or keep it if they like it. undecided
Either of the couple may choose to keep their because of its gemstones,
it still doesn't change the fact that the bond between both of them is broken
. tongue
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 10:13pm On Nov 24, 2009
this z gonna b a 5 pointer argument,
1st person 2 gt 5 points win

n fhemmy sory 2 burst ur bubble, muma gee jus gt 1,

ive gotta b fair kiss kiss

muma-1
fhemmy-0
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by mamagee3(f): 10:17pm On Nov 24, 2009
^^You no get job. grin grin
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 10:25pm On Nov 24, 2009
i knw
its so obvioussss

ds bloody adiction kuled NL,
i shud hit d sheetz im olredy haluccinating

nyt nyt debaters
kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by mamagee3(f): 10:29pm On Nov 24, 2009
baybbootz:

i knw
its so obvioussss

ds bloody adiction kuled NL,
i shud hit d sheetz im olredy haluccinating

nyt nyt debaters
kiss kiss kiss kiss

Are you addicted to Nairaland
? shocked shocked
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by baybbootz(f): 10:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
yep
so so so so so adicted

u c i cnt even sign out its bad
ma guilty pleasure grin grin
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Ajiwire(m): 10:53pm On Nov 24, 2009
@ fhlemmy, and d rest of NL in d house, i am of the opinion that the lady returns the ring. cos when the ring remains with her and in the nearest future she experiences difficulty in family chanlenging situations like child bearing, misunderstanding between she and the other family members husband inclusive. she will be reminded that she has in her posssession a property of another man.( THE RING). the significant of this is that, when she was proposed to, a god called cupid has registered the union  and if eventually it breaks up, that particular ring which was used to tie the knot to an extent must be return so that the woman will have herself free from any bondage and have a happy married life. remember, a RING is not like any other gift, its has words enclosed in it thats why it is smiley round and have no end nor begining.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 11:10pm On Nov 24, 2009
Ajiwire:

@ fhlemmy, and d rest of NL in d house, i am of the opinion that the lady returns the ring. cos when the ring remains with her and in the nearest future she experiences difficulty in family chanlenging situations like child bearing, misunderstanding between she and the other family members husband inclusive. she will be reminded that she has in her posssession a property of another man.( THE RING). the significant of this is that, when she was proposed to, a god called cupid has registered the union  and if eventually it breaks up, that particular ring which was used to tie the knot to an extent must be return so that the woman will have herself free from any bondage and have a happy married life. remember, a RING is not like any other gift, its has words enclosed in it thats why it is smiley round and have no end nor begining.

Na wa oh.
So u mean if the ring is not returned, there are some spiritual effects?
Can you prove this?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 11:12pm On Nov 24, 2009
mama-gee:

If they are both divorced, then they should throw their rings away or keep it if they like it. undecided
Either of the couple may choose to keep their because of its gemstones,
it still doesn't change the fact that the bond between both of them is broken
. tongue

Like u said, the bond btw them has been broken, but the gift of the ring cant be denied, and i am so convinced that the lady shd keep the ring, cos she never put her hands into the wallet of the man to force her to buy the ring, he bought of his own will cos he wanna marry the woman, so it is a gift to the lady and she shd keep it foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by OAM4J: 1:11am On Nov 25, 2009
Fhemmy I have to agree with Mama-gee and Michellin. An engagement ring is more than a gift. It’s a symbol of a promise. If the promise is broken, then the ring has lost is significant, it is only proper it be returned to the giver. In the case of divorce couples, it’s usually unnecessary to return the ring because in this case the ring is not a promise but a broken covenant. None of the couple is expected to still be wearing the ring or use it to consummate another relationship, neither would they want to sell it, because of it’s significant. So divorced couples only keep the ring as a reminder of broken covenant or they just throw it away
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by OAM4J: 1:12am On Nov 25, 2009
Don’t also forget in engagement it’s only the man that gives out a ring, but in marriage they exchange rings.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 1:26am On Nov 25, 2009
OAM4J:

Don’t also forget in engagement it’s only the man that gives out a ring, but in marriage they exchange rings.

Ok, for agreeing sake, what would happen, if the woman was the one that gave the money that was used in buying the ring
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by OAM4J: 1:37am On Nov 25, 2009
^^^Which one now, the engagement or the wedding ring?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 1:47am On Nov 25, 2009
the engagement ring
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by OAM4J: 2:03am On Nov 25, 2009
It is very wrong for a woman to buy herself the engagement ring…in my world men proposes marriage with an engagement ring. I have no respect/regard to a ring you buy for yourself because I propose to you.

But since she bought it she can keep it, after all she bought/gave it to herself, so she owns it. Since the guy never gave it, he cannot collect it back.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by stede(m): 5:33am On Nov 25, 2009
the man
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by na2day2(m): 10:47am On Nov 25, 2009
tanimz:

If he truly loves her, I guess she could keep it. But if he thinks it better to return it and get the money back. Either way

what has love got to do with a breakup? abeg return the ring to the man jor
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 25, 2009
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Flavio: 12:06pm On Nov 25, 2009
@Chaircover

Tender your evidence and claim.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 25, 2009
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by imurboss: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2009
the man should have the ring back since it didn't serve the original purpose it was meant to fulfill i.e sealing the relationship,i think it would keep giving the lady bad memories of that particular event so no point keeping it!
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On Nov 25, 2009
chaircover:

An engagement ring is not a gift. The man buys the ring as a symbol of intent that he will marry the woman. If the engagement is broken for whatever reason, then the ring is to be returned.

Personally, if I have the lucky escape of having an engagement broken off rather than getting married to a Pollock & spending the rest of my life in regret, then I will very gladly fling the thing at him breaking his nose in the process or leaving a nice big gash on his forehead. The stupid man can have his stupid ring back. grin cheesy grin

I never knew u cld be that mean oh.

The ring was bought as a symbol and intent to be married and once the intent is broken, why giving it back, it is still a gift, whichever way you look at it.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2009
If you don't want to marry the man then what exactly do you want to do with his engagement ring? keep wearing it till you marry someone else? or sell it ?( that's rather tacky and desperate). Even if he says you should keep it you'll have to give it out or something.
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by na2day2(m): 7:28pm On Nov 25, 2009
chaircover:

An engagement ring is not a gift. The man buys the ring as a symbol of intent that he will marry the woman. If the engagement is broken for whatever reason, then the ring is to be returned.

Personally, if I have the lucky escape of having an engagement broken off rather than getting married to a Pollock & spending the rest of my life in regret, then I will very gladly fling the thing at him breaking his nose in the process or leaving a nice big gash on his forehead. The stupid man can have his stupid ring back. grin cheesy grin

to think that i was actually going to give u a ring angry angry angry angry
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by segedoo(m): 7:29pm On Nov 25, 2009
The giver of the ring naw?! who else?
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Nweddings: 7:36pm On Nov 25, 2009
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by na2day2(m): 7:40pm On Nov 25, 2009
Nweddings:

Na2day are we fighting wink

I actually thought you had forgotten about me as I've been seeing you loffing other girls on NL wink

no ooo, u are the only one oooo embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed [size=3pt]no vex, na who u bi again sef? [/size]
Re: Broken Engagement: Who Should Get The Ring? by Fhemmmy: 8:52pm On Nov 25, 2009
tatiana009:

If you don't want to marry the man then what exactly do you want to do with his engagement ring? keep wearing it till you marry someone else? or sell it ?( that's rather tacky and desperate). Even if he says you should keep it you'll have to give it out or something.

Sell the damn ring and enjoy the money from it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Wives Find It Difficult To Be In Subjection To Their Husbands.— / In The Spirit Of Christmas, Please Stop Child Abuse/bullying / Was The Wife Inappropriate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.