Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,727 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:56 PM

Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! (12092 Views)

25 Quotes From Blogging Experts At West Africa Bloggers Conference / Nigeria's First Email Service Naij.com / Weather Nigeria: First Local Weather App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by mrperfect(m): 11:18am On Dec 08, 2009
jave005:

Hello House,

I want to design my own web page but i do not know a jack about it.
Need a little help from any and all guru.
may be this will be treated in the comference wink
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by 21stcentur: 12:26am On Dec 09, 2009
Hello, i am glad this thread came up at this time, i am interested. i also volunteer myself to be part of the organizer. i have started a similar group in surulere lagos but now i know their are people who share the same view with me i will give in my best. pls lets not kill this idea with fear of the unknown, i advice we get started and other things will fall in place. i wish to be updated my email address is petergen30@yahoo.com
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by liberty4: 3:31am On Dec 12, 2009
hello sound interesting need to more about it because l hav full interesting on it
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 10:37pm On Dec 14, 2009
I don tire o!
I am glad, i am happy. i am this, i am that. When is this thing entering Action mode cuz e don dey enter voicemail.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 11:15am On Dec 15, 2009
Dual Core: piggy-backing on your last post, let us not be victim of one of Femi Kuti's songs of old - so so talk, and no action tongue
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 11:03am On Dec 16, 2009
ok, since no one want to take up the challenge in putting all resources together, then I ve decided to do so

I'll build a simply but functional website,

the Website will perform the following functions.

* collect information of all volunteers e.g name, contacts, and what the person is donating towards the success of the event e.t.c.

* latest news/update/information/progress about the web conference.

* a space where suggestions will be collected.

* List of all the people who have volunteered (we must have receive your donation/help before you are listed)

NB: I'll like us to start now so as the earlier we start planning better for d event, so that we can agree on some things like DATE, VENUE, TIME, e.t.c.
then other things can come in.

this is just a suggestion. THANKS

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 10:15am On Dec 17, 2009
is it that no one is buying my idea?

please, what is happening oooo ?

after 23hr no comment,

abi, no one wanted it to work in the first place?

seriously, Am confused sad shocked embarassed cry
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2009
1) As stated in my original post, I won't be able to attend
2) The OP YIMd me the other day to say he has been banned. Upon his return, he will post more details
3) Since you have volunteered to put up a site, I think if you do that and post the url, more people will be inclined to opine. My opinion.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

1) As stated in my original post, I won't be able to attend
2) The OP YIMd me the other day to say he has been banned. Upon his return, he will post more details
3) Since you have volunteered to put up a site, I think if you do that and post the url, more people will be inclined to opine. My opinion.
Heheheh, we need to address plotting a nairaland coup in the AOB section of this conference.

Quad, you could assign me some part in the building
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by danteweb: 6:23pm On Dec 17, 2009
What! the original poster was banned? That is so intriguing! I was banned as well after posting a very useful line of action on page2.

I am beginning to think there is a conflict of interest in this conference especially from anyone in Nairaland who has the permission to ban users!

I would not be surprised if this comment is deleted! but anyways please make sure that this conference holds.

Someone should please create a facebook event page as soon as possible in the very least!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by MrCrackles(m): 6:24pm On Dec 17, 2009
Poster

How does it depend on me
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 10:24am On Dec 18, 2009
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by mrperfect(m): 2:25pm On Dec 18, 2009
I think is getting close to real issue now.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bug24(m): 4:49pm On Dec 18, 2009
OMG ! where have i been? sometin lik dis is goin on and no one bodered callin my line? i came rily late, soon as i startd readin dis post 4rm begining, sometin popped in2 ma mind, BugMan, volunteer to reg & host d domain 4d proposed confrence. if posible sef, design d site. but DUAL CORE and QUADRILLO already beat me 2it. now wot do i volunteer 2do? YAWA come 2me rescue. and, DUAL CORE, y wont u make d trip 2lag? oya txt me ur number. 08036885585. we'll make d jony 2geda. YEAH! am based in PH too. i'll be waitin 2hear 4rm u. and, i pray dis conference takes place. it'll gr8 if a date is chosen ontime so we who dont stay in LAG can adjust our calendars. DC, am waiting.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 9:32pm On Dec 18, 2009
bug24:

OMG ! where have i been? sometin lik dis is goin on and no one bodered callin my line? i came rily late, soon as i startd readin dis post 4rm begining, sometin popped in2 ma mind,  BugMan, volunteer to reg & host d domain 4d proposed confrence. if posible sef, design d site. but DUAL CORE and QUADRILLO already beat me 2it. now wot do i volunteer 2do? YAWA come 2me rescue. and,  DUAL CORE, y wont u make d trip 2lag? oya txt me your number. 08036885585. we'll make d jony 2geda. YEAH! am based in PH too. i'll be waitin 2hear 4rm u. and,  i pray dis conference takes place. it'll gr8 if a date is chosen ontime so we who dont stay in LAG can adjust our calendars. DC,  am waiting.

Mehn I'm scared of flying in the Nigerian airspace. My last flight landing gear no gree release, tyre no gree commot. You can imagine  grin

So where u at in PH? My office is in T/Amadi opp. Michelin but I work from home.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bug24(m): 2:42am On Dec 19, 2009
@DC, opposite michellin? dats in oginigba. i started my web dev career there with SIGNONAFRICA. but this is a coy i wont advice my best enemy to host or do business with. my own ofice is at 34 aba rd. oposite road safety ofice, dats 2wards MILE 1. gimme ur numba bro, where's d conference cordinator? WE NEED PROGRESS REPORT PLS.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 6:47pm On Dec 20, 2009
stil waiting for d host oooo, and please a DATE

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 9:27pm On Dec 20, 2009
quadrillio:

stil waiting for d host oooo, and please a DATE

-SAFE

Name the domain you have in mind for this.

bug24:

@DC, opposite michellin? dats in oginigba. i started my web dev career there with SIGNONAFRICA. but this is a coy i wont advice my best enemy to host or do business with. my own ofice is at 34 aba rd. oposite road safety ofice, dats 2wards MILE 1. gimme your numba bro, where's d conference cordinator? WE NEED PROGRESS REPORT PLS.

You get my number naw. Its in the signatures of the mails i sent when you were looking for freelance devs.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 7:42am On Dec 21, 2009
Can't believe my reply wasn't delivered. Thought i had replied! The date should be the last friday/saturday in January bt could spill into february. Im suggestin friday cos saturday'll be booked for events/weddings, u know Lagos. I'll get the hosting data to you asap! Im looking at sponsorship, any ideas? And pls use Joomla or a multi-user CMS, so others can admin, okay?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 7:52am On Dec 21, 2009
Quad, ur email is hidden. Can u send it to my mail? Segebee1@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 4:43pm On Dec 21, 2009
naijaweb:

Quad, your email is hidden. Can u send it to my mail? Segebee1@yahoo.co.uk
check your mail now
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by badesemowo(m): 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2009
This is sounding interesting and I must say exciting .

I volunteer to help out too , So who is taking lead on this, as Project Manager and all ? Could you list out preliminary draft of needs and activities so people could pick what they can do ?

I only glanced through the posts so far but I think we should decide on some of the major key points so the web developers will have quality content.

Physical Meeting
I noticed there was talk about a meeting ? If it is in Lagos I might be able to pop in and maybe add my own 2cents as my office has closed for the year. I would say hold on from registering the domain till some major key points are decided.

title
I like the flow of the title but I'm thinking KISS :
Rebranding Nigeria: Best use of Web Technology ;

Also, I am a believer in "think big, start small , grow fast . " . Please lets not plan to bring down the whole heavens on the first event .

Date
For the question of date, I would say May/June 2010 will be most appropriate.
Reasons:
1. People in other states/countries will be able to schedule a trip, if our value proposition is strong enough.
2. Project Management will be able to send out proposals to Companies and other organisations to sponsor the event.
3. Fund Raising will be able to raise funds from members or get people to start registering . ( I really hope we can make it a free event)

So to get the ball rolling , I pick Saturday, June 26th (12 - 6pm) 2010 . Its a saturday. Environmental Sanitation Day in lagos so most people are not working that weekend. People catching flights can catch early morning flight ,.

Need a Project Manager
Really the major thing needed right now is that 1 person that would serve as Project Manager for the event.

So thats my own quick submission.

PS: Joomla Day Nigeria was successful .
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 7:50pm On Dec 21, 2009
PS: Joomla Day Nigeria was successful .

This is good to hear. Perhaps you could share the positives and the negatives with the organizers of the web conference so they know what to do and not do.

Any website with photos that we could see on the joomla stuff? I am sure inquisitive minds would love to know wink
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 4:13pm On Dec 22, 2009
1) I don't think all this "ng" this, "naija" that makes sense for such a url. Just spell it outright, "nigeria" - it is easier to remember, you don't have to waste time spelling it out to someone and from the url, even google's bots will know what it is about right off the bat. "webconference" isn't too long, IMHO, to tack on "nigeria" at the end.

2) I visited webtrends and couldn't find it. I don't think I found a search textbox either (if it's there, I missed it. If it isn't there, hint: since you already have plastered the site with google ads, how about adding a search module as well? you still get ad revenue if people click on the ads on the search results page cool). Please paste a direct url here OR if you are concerned about the bot, paste directions on how to get to that page (home -> events -> joomla, or however it is I would get there)
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 8:31pm On Dec 22, 2009
@yawa its not my site, lol. I knoe he took some pics, but you can see mine on facebook.com/segebee
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by TechPros(m): 8:36pm On Dec 22, 2009
OP
i support bade on june or july, organizing an event of this nature is not just something we want to do in a rush and considering the fact that all of us here has his/her own business to run. i bet when the new year kick off majority will be very busy working on one project or the other and you also need to consider people like me that do not stay in lagos. lastly, i think friday is not a good idea, taking an hour flight to lagos from bauchi after a stressful friday will not work for me and others.

i also volunteer to be one of the organisers and as for the names i agree with yawa on the ng but i think naijawebconference.com is a good one except there are better ones.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by badesemowo(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2009
Thank you for the offer for Project Lead but Unfortunately I will not be able to take it up right now . We have quite a few IT niche events coming up in 2010 in IT. I might not have that much time to focus fully on this event, besides I don't want to be accused of conflict of interest.

Say what about a Sunday afternoon / evening thing , AIT's infotech group held their event on a sunday last month

As for name: I would say go for nigeriawebconference.com .
Though its a bit long, there is no chance of typos. I am not such a fan of "naija" in domain names as it is difficult to spell on Phone.

I still insist that we give a long time for the planning process. Chances of success would be lower otherwise ,
Except , the converse being having a few smaller events in preparation for a much larger event maybe a year away from now in 2011 or something?

You can find pictures of Joomla Day here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=141984&id=503597006 . We still have not gotten round to updating the site with pictures.

I ll try and collate some of the stuff from our event review . For example, we held the last J!day on a saturday but we still got some complaints from people about having to miss weddings e.t.c . I think one of the major issues on the Nigerian scene is support though . Response to our various email was very discouraging ,
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 7:33am On Dec 23, 2009
Tech pros, thanks a lot for your suggestions. I quite agree with you. Will draw up a timeline and activities sheet for volunteers. I believe its enough time to develop a great web application to showcase! So guys, start developing.
Thanks, bade. I'll put up june for consideration. I understand about the conflict of interest. Would schedule a meeting soon. And i've recieved my template which i won at Joomla day. Infotech's event was more of an award event, this aims to be a learning and awards event.
Will inform you about more developments. Thanks guys and pls drop your twitter ids/facebook ids here.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Alstin: 11:26am On Dec 23, 2009
Guys lagosnaija.wen.ru is back join now it hot in there LOADED LAGOSNAIJA.WEN.RU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do I Verify My Google Adsense Account? / Elon Musk Says Twitter Users Will Not Be Able To Block People, Except In DMs / Creating Complex / Advanced Search Forms With Sql Queries In Dreamweaver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.