Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! (11953 Views)

25 Quotes From Blogging Experts At West Africa Bloggers Conference / Nigeria's First Email Service Naij.com / Weather Nigeria: First Local Weather App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 10:13pm On Jan 04, 2010
Y'ouch! i'm just seeing the post 93. Thanks to the dude too smiley
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 6:19am On Jan 05, 2010
Hi guys. @afam like i stated earlier, the major challenge's getting someone to commit to the role of a project manager. You said you couldn't do this, so i suggest you organise the online conference so we can learn from you.
@quad great job u've been doin. I suggested Joomla only so others can help out wt uploading content to the site and not stress you too much. You are free to chose ur medium of design. Thanks again.
@dualcore true to your character, u've taken the bull by its horn and in a matter of minutes, registered a domain. Im impressed. I really wish you could step in as project manager. I believe june was the last agreed date so you should be able to make Lagos in june. I would love to take the project manager hat bt you're far more experienced than i in this field. If u take d post, i bet in a matter of weeks, we'd have the conference runnin on schedule. Im so ready to give 100% and do PR bt we need a strong leader.
@yawa i thought june was what we agreed on?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 8:30am On Jan 05, 2010
naijaweb:

Hi guys. @afam like i stated earlier, the major challenge's getting someone to commit to the role of a project manager. You said you couldn't do this, so i suggest you organise the online conference so we can learn from you.

This was my response on the 24th December 2009 and I still stand by it. We must do things right at all times if we want to be taken seriously and trust me until we show that we are ready I will not risk the high level of professional integrity I have on projects that do not have committed and determined people on, sorry.

Afam:

Well, no wahala but the website ought to be up and running by now.

As regards being the project manager I am sorry I cannot do so because I will always and consistently oppose things that are fundamentally wrong which unfortunately quite a number of us are comfortable with.

Good luck. If I am around I will attend.

@Dual core,

Well done, that is how things should go. I wondered why the website was not up for weeks when in fact it could be up and running in 2 days if we wanted to. I am glad you chose to do this.

I will offer advice or criticism to help but will not get directly involved so as not to get into unnecessary fights as I always oppose things that are wrong without any sentiments whatsoever.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 8:34am On Jan 05, 2010
Ok, afam. I get ur point. Let me see if i can persuade dual core or someone else to take on this responsibility. Thanks for ur contributions.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 9:17am On Jan 05, 2010
Thanks brothaz but I can't take up that responsibility now sad
Personal commitments here in PH et al.
I know this conference will lead to something positive once its held.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 11:28am On Jan 05, 2010
oh naijaweb, I didn't know it was moved to June. Hopefully it wasn't because of me smiley

As I may have told you, I will be doing a lot of traveling this year and so don't want to commit to something and then disappoint. Having said that, I am here to support.

By the way, while waiting for website, to secure venue, etc, what are the topics for presentation/discussion?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 3:34pm On Jan 05, 2010
Ok. Dualcore. Have u sent the details, last time i heard from quad, he was waitin for the details.

@yawa its not cos of u we decided june, it was suggested by the same person who suggested d domain name. He said this will give us adequate time to plan. Also since we'll all be busy on personal projects, it'll be good to give time cos we can not always be readily available.
Topics will have to be submitted by individuals and it'll be centered around the conference theme which's about applying web technologies for business, government and personal purposes. So i like afam's topic, u and anyone else can add theirs.

Till i get a project manager, i'll be holding brief. The next step is a company to use to deal with sponsors. Naija Gurus has offered their support in this especially as they are also into events services. This will be the company we use for discussions wt sponsors, corporate bodies, government and individuals. Im thinkin it would be wise to set up a joint account to forestall money fraud issues. The next step is for you guys to agree on this company and then i'll draw up a business document on the conference, listing topics, duties of volunteers, different teams, promotion strategies, and all other essentials. So are we good with this company?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 3:40pm On Jan 05, 2010
I sent it to his Nairaland Inbox. Please tell him to check.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 4:07pm On Jan 05, 2010
Ok. I'll inform him. You're ok with the company, then.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by godseyi: 4:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
hi guys, just saw this thread.

Im interested 101%. Pls how can I contribute / what can I contribute.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 4:50pm On Jan 05, 2010
naijaweb:

Ok. I'll inform him. You're ok with the company, then.

Sure.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 6:16pm On Jan 05, 2010
godseyi, thanks for volunteering. Our major need is to get sponsorship but you can tell us what you are good at, apart from web design, that is.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 8:37pm On Jan 05, 2010
Skima, thanks!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Akindolu(m): 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2010
Good idea.Interested and details should be posted online.I suggest we don't go totally virtual with it.Thank you.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2010
I ve put up something, while I work on the other parts. nigeriawebconference.com

@dual core, please we need to talk, I need to assign some part to you, send me your contact,

let me continue with the coding and design please. BRB

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 1:31pm On Jan 07, 2010
sawyerrken at gmail dot com

chat id : k_frill
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2010
Very proactive quad. I likes that! grin

Quick question/concern: Since this URL has been mentioned on previous pages, is it possible to put up a quick "sign me up" module where people can enter their email addresses for updates when the site does go live and to update people on the conference, ala lightbox (or whatever)? My concern is, some might read this thread from page 1, see that most of the links aren't active and say to themselves, "these guys no serious". You know how that goes.

If need be, I can provide a cool jquery newsletter plugin that I have been using for some time that doesn't require any database interaction.

Let me know what you (and others) think.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 4:06pm On Jan 07, 2010
Please give us, we need everything we can get.

my mail is quadri20_wale [at] yahoo.com

- Thanks
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by 21stcentur: 4:15pm On Jan 07, 2010
Well done guys,
I am glad the project is still on, keep it up, still ready give my support my email address petergen30@yahoo.com
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 8:37pm On Jan 07, 2010
I can't describe my level of excitement at the steps quadrillio has been able to take us forward. I would like to plead with you all to drop ur twitter accounts here and pls register at twitter.com if you do not have an account. Having conversations via twitter will enable word of the conference to spread and as some of us synchronise our twitter accounts with facebook, it'll mean more publicity. Twitter is the defacto conversation tool for most web developers around the world and the earlier we start using it the better. It will also be used to broadcast during the conference. Once you register, id be glad to answer all your questions as to how to use twitter. My twitter id is Segebee. You guys can add me and send me a tweet.
Quad, does your design allow easy uploading of conference papers, video and pictures. How about a blog format? Don't forget google maps plug-in space. U've done a great job, and i now have something to show at least. Please, there are some spelling errors where nigeria is spelled as nigeris. What's ur twitter name? Don't forget to add web users to the expected audience :-).
Yawa, i cannot thank you enough for your support. But enlighten us on what a lightbox is and how we can use it. Pls, get a twitter account.lol.
Dualcore, i really appreciate your efforts so much.
21stcentury, do u have a twitter account?
I suggest we use #nwc as the tag for our twitter/fb posts. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 8:41pm On Jan 07, 2010
naijaweb:
I have made known to you my distaste for the addictive twitter. Don't even go there tongue

By Lightbox, I mean the javascript library plug in that say, you have an image thumbnail and you click it to get the full image. The screen goes dark and an enlarged version of the image fades in. Consequently, clicking out of the image, or hitting ESC, the screen returns to normal and the enlarged image fades away. I know you have seen this before, or even used it sef cool
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 10:30pm On Jan 07, 2010
Of course, i use lightbox for my galleries.lol. Thought u were talking of something else. If u don't join, u can always follow d conversation:-)
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 1:46am On Jan 08, 2010
Yawa just likes catching person offside with grammar. Why you no just call am image clicking thing tongue

Naijaweb et al, can there be a Facebook group for this? Cuz that twitter thing, I just have a natural hate for the concept and the hype.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 3:32am On Jan 08, 2010
dual: u sabi us naija now - always trying to impress with the "queen's english" tongue
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 8:13am On Jan 08, 2010
Good job but I have a few points to make.

1. Having dead links on a live website is bad practice and would discourage visitors

2. This could have been posted on a testing server and when deemed ok moved to the live server

3. Is this going to be a static website or a dynamic database driven one?

4. Twitter? I twit not  grin. Facebook? Deleted my account after the guys there were sending unsolicited emails to friends as if I was the one doing that.

5. Even on a testing server, updates could be posted on the website apart from the newsletter sign up
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 10:32am On Jan 08, 2010
naijaweb:

I can't describe my level of excitement at the steps quadrillio has been able to take us forward. I would like to plead with you all to drop your twitter accounts here and pls register at twitter.com if you do not have an account. Having conversations via twitter will enable word of the conference to spread and as some of us synchronise our twitter accounts with facebook, it'll mean more publicity. Twitter is the defacto conversation tool for most web developers around the world and the earlier we start using it the better. It will also be used to broadcast during the conference. Once you register, id be glad to answer all your questions as to how to use twitter. My twitter id is Segebee. You guys can add me and send me a tweet.
[b]Quad, does your design allow easy uploading of conference papers, video and pictures. How about a blog format? Don't forget google maps plug-in space. U've done a great job, and i now have something to show at least. Please, there are some spelling errors where nigeria is spelled as nigeris. What's your twitter name? Don't forget to add web users to the expected audience :-).
[/b]Yawa, i cannot thank you enough for your support. But enlighten us on what a lightbox is and how we can use it. Pls, get a twitter account.lol.
Dualcore, i really appreciate your efforts so much.
21stcentury, do u have a twitter account?
I suggest we use #nwc as the tag for our twitter/fb posts. Thanks.

those thre columns, will still be longer and they can contain more thing, I believe the video nad picture thing will come later, though I already have a class I wrote that can deal with any type of uploading.

plus that is the home page other pages will vary base on what it will handle

forget twitter lets focus on using facebook for now, create a group and event page for it lets join so you send us update, and I can also place a "FIND US ON FACEBOOK" Icon on the site

Afam:

Good job but I have a few points to make.

1. Having dead links on a live website is bad practice and would discourage visitors

2. This could have been posted on a testing server and when deemed ok moved to the live server

3. Is this going to be a static website or a dynamic database driven one?

4. Twitter? I twit not  grin. Facebook? Deleted my account after the guys there were sending unsolicited emails to friends as if I was the one doing that.

5. Even on a testing server, updates could be posted on the website apart from the newsletter sign up

for 1, 2 n 5 , I will try to be faster with the update so that at least, all links present now will have a page and will remove any empty one for now

for 3, common man, how can you even think it going to be a static website, of course it's going to be dynamic.

for 4, maybe you just register one for the sake of d conference (facebook)

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by BigStar1(m): 11:15am On Jan 08, 2010
I'm not supprised all Qaudris i know are very great. Welldone Quadrillion, even though we share office, i didn't know about it untill u this level simply because i focus majorlly on programming part of NL. Anywhere i can come in?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 12:17pm On Jan 08, 2010
@big star,

Thanks and sorry for not telling you, I thought u knew. MY BAD

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 1:33pm On Jan 09, 2010
Guys, i am pleased to inform you that the facebook group 'nigeria web conference' has just been created. Please join the group so as to participate and get updated with the latest information as regards the upcoming web conference.
Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 1:51pm On Jan 09, 2010
naijaweb:

Guys, i am pleased to inform you that the facebook group 'nigeria web conference' has just been created. Please join the group so as to participate and get updated with the latest information as regards the upcoming web conference.
Thanks.

Good to hear that but I still believe that posting live updates on the website will be more engaging, increase the level of interest and drive traffic to the website instead of using a totally different channel to discuss this.

Also consider those that do not like providing their personal information just to register on sites like twitter or facebook.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by gerrows80(m): 4:20pm On Jan 09, 2010
this is a great idea, i think the best way to go around this is to make it virtual.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 5 Blog In Nigeria For Latest Free Browsing Cheats. / Joomla! Vs "any Other Php Cms Out There" / Wordpress Blog With Smf Forum Integrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.