Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,630 members, 7,955,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:11 PM

Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! (12091 Views)

25 Quotes From Blogging Experts At West Africa Bloggers Conference / Nigeria's First Email Service Naij.com / Weather Nigeria: First Local Weather App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 3:37pm On Dec 23, 2009
Thanks for the hosting, but its been taken care of. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bandely(m): 5:30pm On Dec 23, 2009
Is there anything on the agenda for those that wants to learn Web Development?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 10:47pm On Dec 23, 2009
There'll be 2 sessions, one for developers and one for the general public. You can get the fundamentals for web development online for free, so this conference will be teaching developers advanced techniques&tools, and teaching the general public how to use social media and the internet. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bandely(m): 12:51pm On Dec 24, 2009
When and where is it holding?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 5:53pm On Dec 24, 2009
Where is the website that should have been up and running as promised? How long will it take to setup one?

Those of us that believe the web industry must make meaningful progress must be ready to match our words with actions.

It shouldn't take 3 days to setup a fully functional website for this project.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 8:29pm On Dec 24, 2009
@bandely if u read the posts ahead, you'll see we're yet to choose a time and date.
@afam it shouldn't take that long, but this is the festive season and its a busy season for some major actors, some have travelled for the holidays. You'll also notice we're lookin for a project manager, it would be nice if you could volunteer since you're passionate about the industry and have been a long standing and respected member of this forum. Thanks
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by askphantom(m): 11:39am On Dec 25, 2009
i would like to be on the project team.

WHAT I CAN DO

-WEB DESIGNER/DEVELOPER
-BASED IN ENUGU
-LOVE TO ATTEND THE SEMINAR

askphntm@gmail.com, 07065465506

Will be in lagos for the new year.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by bandely(m): 9:28pm On Dec 25, 2009
naijaweb:

@bandely if u read the posts ahead, you'll see we're yet to choose a time and date.
@afam it shouldn't take that long, but this is the festive season and its a busy season for some major actors, some have travelled for the holidays. You'll also notice we're lookin for a project manager, it would be nice if you could volunteer since you're passionate about the industry and have been a long standing and respected member of this forum. Thanks
I was wondering when the Subject reads "January 2010" thought I might have missed the date somewhere!

Keep me posted pls!
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 26, 2009
January is just too early for it, considering the fact that a site has not been built, proper planning has not been made and programme has not been drawn,as a matter of fact a face-face metting is neccesary to execute the planning, and as for those people suggesting we have one for general public, this will make the whole essence defeated, as it is to establish a consortium and also to help already developer further their skill and also learn new thing for commerciality and to serve the public better.

Donpuzo.
Freelence developer
Techno Global World of Programmers
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 8:26am On Dec 28, 2009
naijaweb:

Well, no wahala but the website ought to be up and running by now.

As regards being the project manager I am sorry I cannot do so because I will always and consistently oppose things that are fundamentally wrong which unfortunately quite a number of us are comfortable with.

Good luck. If I am around I will attend.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 6:25pm On Dec 30, 2009
Hopefully, the conference is similar (maybe not in terms of content but the environment, topics covered,etc ) to something like this:

http://vimeo.com/5913249
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2009
Yawa thanks! Will watch the video resource. Also heard that a social media conference is been organised in Lagos next year. Its by a marketing firm. I guess all we need now is the website and a project manager.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by xanadu: 10:40pm On Jan 01, 2010
Great initiative, and if done properly, this conference will certainly boost the web industry in Nigeria.

Pardon me if I have missed it in the previous posts, but - is there a budget for this conference? I know a lot has been done with regards to good people offering free web hosting etc, but surely a lot of things will still need to be paid for in organising this conference, which is where more than likely, the issue of sponsors will come up.

My question is, if there was to be an approach to a potential sponsor, or if a potential sponsor shows interest now and the question of 'What is your budget' comes up (which it more than likely will) - do we have an honest figure - and break-down - at this stage?

Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 2:33am On Jan 02, 2010
@xanadu Thank you so much for your suggestions! Truth is we don't have a budget, you may also have noticed that we are looking for a project manager. The budget for the social media conference coming up soon is 3.5 million. Our conference if done as we want it to be should be a little bit over this figure. Major costs should be venue, internet connection, honorarium for speakers, travel and lodging for foreign speakers.
If we go big, around 10 million should do, and this should cater for international web gurus who can teach us in practical areas. This cost is entirely my own opinion not that of the team. And my mind is on a top telecoms company been a major sponsor.
I'll like to know your thoughts on this.
We can always start very small, but im thinking at this stage we should be learning advanced techniques such as developing facebook apps, using twitter, google and other web apps APIs, developing Iphone or blackberry apps, creating startups, getting venture capital and getting international links to enable outsourcing jobs come to Nigerian developers.
Your thoughts guys.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by CISAY: 4:05pm On Jan 03, 2010
sorry i kinda new now to nairaland but i will be interested in conference u wanna organise it will be like an oppurtunity for me to explore more my email: umarsesay@yahoo.com for any new notification thnk
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by naijaweb(m): 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2010
Thanks cisay. Just click the notify me of replies box when posting or click the subscribe button. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 8:58am On Jan 04, 2010
What is the problem with the website that was promised for some time now?

If web developers cannot setup a website for this then what do we want to talk about in the conference? One of the major problems in the industry is the disconnect between promises and delivery.

There are companies who paid for website development and waited for months for projects that were quoted for days or weeks before seeing anything.

We have a big problem in this area in my opinion.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 11:22am On Jan 04, 2010
One of the major problems in the industry is the disconnect between promises and delivery.

Again, rather than focus on building the next facebook app or kidding ourselves that we will be as rich as bill gates (and cursing anyone who tells it like it is in saying it will never happen cool), may I suggest, in addition to the topic I introduced before, "going back to basics", another topic, as (indirectly) proposed by Afam, titled "The Disconnect between Promises and Delivery in Web Development in Nigeria"? grin
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 11:31am On Jan 04, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

Again, rather than focus on building the next facebook app or kidding ourselves that we will be as rich as bill gates (and cursing anyone who tells it like it is in saying it will never happen cool), may I suggest, in addition to the topic I introduced before, "going back to basics", another topic, as (indirectly) proposed by Afam, titled "The Disconnect between Promises and Delivery in Web Development in Nigeria"? grin

Thanks yawatide, seems you just provided me with the title of my next article. Hope you don't mind my using it as you stated it.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 12:23pm On Jan 04, 2010
Afam:

No yawa, nothing spoil wink
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 1:52pm On Jan 04, 2010
I made a design, I was waiting for d host while I do some coding,
what really slowed me down was when someone suggested that we should use joomla, I was thinking we come her and delibrate on it(which I think is a Good suggestion.)

Immediately the host is ready, then u can be assure that we've a website in the next 48hrs.

hope am cleared on that.

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 2:46pm On Jan 04, 2010
Just put something up, quad  cool

This isn't a time for debating what platform to use.  Even an html-based site would do, assuming there is no need for a registration page.

The clock is ticking wink
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2010
At this point I think an online conference would be better considering what is involved in organizing a real event.

However, if after all these weeks the website is not even up then my optimism may be far fetched.

We can start with an online conference, make our mistakes there, learn from them and progress to a better conference "offline".
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2010
@yawa

I get your point, will do that immediately d host is ready, d guy said it will be ready by tomorrow (at least a static page is promised)

@Afam

u are either part of da solution or part of da problem; where do u belong?

you can still do the website, it's not a must I do it.

many issues are still pending which I don't think it's the website that is holding it. DATE, VENUE, SPONSORS. e.t.c

-SAFE
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by Afam(m): 4:15pm On Jan 04, 2010
quadrillio:

@Afam

u are either part of da solution or part of da problem; where do u belong?

you can still do the website, it's not a must I do it.

many issues are still pending which I don't think it's the website that is holding it. DATE, VENUE, SPONSORS. e.t.c

-SAFE

I am part of the solution not the problem. And that is why I suggested the idea of an offline conference so that mistakes could be made when the impact would not be much.

I am a practical person to the core.

I don't think it will be right for someone else to design the website since you have taken up the task.

However, this should be seen as a real project with a real client so we must pay attention to details.

Right now, we have a situation whereby the design is ready but the web hosting is not and so the website is not up and running. I hope we know that this is another area that creates confusion and leads to project failures.

Sometimes you get to see up to 4 different entities responsible for a simple website from domain name to web design and web hosting. Maybe this will be another topic to discuss on the conference proper whether offline and online.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by quadrillio(m): 4:41pm On Jan 04, 2010
I think it's clearer this way, I don't play with "integrity"

Who is approaching the sponsors on our behave? they are very important ooo.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 9:26pm On Jan 04, 2010
quadrillio:

Who is approaching the sponsors on our behave? they are very important ooo.
What does anyone want to show the sponsors? This thread?
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 9:32pm On Jan 04, 2010
quadrillio:

I made a design, I was waiting for d host while I do some coding,
what really slowed me down was when someone suggested that we should use joomla, I was thinking we come her and delibrate on it(which I think is a Good suggestion.)

Immediately the host is ready, then u can be assure that we've a website in the next 48hrs.

hope am cleared on that.

-SAFE

I'm kinda high on some terrible mixture now but i can still remember clearly I volunteered to host that site.
I'm sorry but someone or some people aint serious here.

I will not be able to attend this conference since the location is almost settled to be Lagos. However, quadrillo if u are as tired as i am of waiting for whoever to come up with a registered and hosted domain for this, name the proposed domain and you'll get it from me now as long as it is available.

or someone else who is online should come up with a good domain for this and once it is seconded by another person, i will register it and get details over to quadrillio now.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by DualCore1: 10:07pm On Jan 04, 2010
I have just registered and hosted http://nigeriawebconference.com/

Thanks to Afam and Sayhi2ay for choosing and seconding this domain name, respectively.

Quadrillo, I have sent you a PM (to your nairaland account) with the site details.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2010
I could have sworn that the name was already agreed upon as far back as post #93  cool

Regardless, at this point, assuming January is still the conference month, any name that makes sense will and should do.
Re: Nigeria's First Web Conference Hold January 2010: And It Depends On You! by yawatide(f): 10:09pm On Jan 04, 2010
oops! this has already been decided. Dual, you beat me to it wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do I Verify My Google Adsense Account? / Elon Musk Says Twitter Users Will Not Be Able To Block People, Except In DMs / Creating Complex / Advanced Search Forms With Sql Queries In Dreamweaver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.