Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,246 members, 7,953,925 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:02 AM

Delayed Diagnosis - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Delayed Diagnosis (167221 Views)

Delayed Elation (what Will Be Will Be) / The Diagnosis (episode 1) / Destiny Delayed But Unchanged By Oduniyi Olajide David…… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by AminatOpe247: 9:40pm On May 01, 2017
We kno u love us, we love u too(abi I lie?). Anyway enjoy ur stay at ur PPA

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by rachealfst(f): 10:08pm On May 01, 2017
souloho19:

Happy new month rachealfst thanks for your constant support...pls bear with me for the late update
Same here, may this month open doors of abundance blessings to us in Jesus name.
As for the update, pls take your time. I've been there, so i understand.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 11:00am On May 02, 2017
AminatOpe247:
We kno u love us, we love u too(abi I lie?). Anyway enjoy ur stay at ur PPA

Lol..thanks a lot Aminat..I'm actually enjoying the ppa so far..

I just got back from the sun now wink..here's the update
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 11:09am On May 02, 2017
I didn't wake Olivia and when my phone rang, I went outside to pick it. It was my mother. "Rex...sorry about yesterday, immediately we got home we both slept off"
"No problem mum..how was your flight?"
"It was fine.....so what's going on now?"
"Nothing much we have that interview I told you off today..that's all"
"Why do I have a bad feeling about this interview?"
"Which interview?" I could hear my dad ask her over the line. In response age just have handed the phone over to him because I heard his voice next. "Boy..what's going on?"
"Nothing much..we just have this interview to attend..its an organisation that renders help to widows that's all"
"Hmmmm...the same organisation that you said kidnaps women?"
I couldn't remember telling him that, but I was sure I had at one point or the other.
"No...this is different, this is harmless"
"Where's Olivia now?"
"She's still asleep...once she wakes up I would call...or lemme wake her now"
It worked perfectly because he quickly rushed "no no no....leave her alone we'd call later"
I smiled as I returned the call. The phone was barely in my pocket when it rang again. This time it was Wendy.
"I've been waiting for your message since..its already morning..and if I'm to make it there on time I need to leave now"
The time was already 7:06am "wow..I totally forgot..my mind has been on a lot lately...I'd text the address to you right now"
"Okay..I'm waiting"

After I sent it, I wandered downstairs, after talking with the clerk and he directed me to the kitchen, I made enquiries on what they could serve for breakfast. They showed me a rather scanty menu. I selected bread and eggs.
"How would you want your eggs sir" the young girl in the chef's hat asked me.
"Eerrm..just sunny side up would be fine..two plates..where do you get your bread from..hope it would be fresh?"
"We bake it here ourselves"
"Okay wonderful...two cups of coffee and two cups of tea..you send it up to room 47 when you're done"
"No problem sir"

Olivia had woken up when I returned to the room.
I was shocked to see strange eyes seated in her wheelchair while she sat on the bed and they were talking.
She smiled immediately at me "good morning"
I smiled back, remembering the kiss "good morning..." But then I noticed strange eyes who was smiling mischievously and knowingly "Mr Bami...what are you doing here?...wait how did you know we were here?"
He smiled "Rex..Rex...I'm shocked you still ask me questions like that..what kind of agent would I be if I can't locate you when the need arises?"
I shook my head "its things like this that gives me doubt about you" I looked at Olivia "how was your night"
"It was fine"
I noticed she had her phone in her hands, the same phone we had left behind at the hospital the day she had smacked the shadow with it.
"Your phone...you got it back?"
"Yes..he brought it here this morning"
I looked at strange eyes and he smiled "you can thank me later boy..but that phone was pulling you both to the ugly incident that happened at the hospital as it was found at the crime scene"
I was grateful "thanks man...how did you-"
"Mister man..before you start with your questions again lemme teach you how to use the gadgets I brought"

The earphone was really small, fixable in the ear with no visible clamp whatsoever.
"The receiver is really sharp, and....wait lemme help you before you force it onto your head" I had been struggling with it and I allowed him to help me. I couldn't help bending my head and raising my shoulder reflexively as he fixed it in and Olivia laughed.
"Would you stay still for one minute?" Strange eyes asked
"It tickles..it tickles..."
Finally it was in and Bami fixed it for Olivia also.
"Now you people can converse with each other if you're far away...and also with me" he pointed at his ear, he had also fixed one.
"The thing is you have to be careful when talking unless people think you are talking to yourself..." he smiled "me myself I've been taken for a mad man countless times because of this very device"
We laughed but the sound was cut by a sharp knock on the door.
"Wendy was really fast.." I said as I opened the door. But it wasn't Wendy, it was room service pushing in a very inviting steaming tray.
"Breakfast is served" the young man announced as he entered.
Strange eyes whistled and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow, he was devouring the food with his eyes.
I stopped the young man on his way out. "Please tell your chef to prepare another tray just like this one"
He nodded and closed the door.
"Bami I know you're hungry...yours is coming don't worry...but please don't covert my food anymore"
"Yes sir!" he gave a mock salute, but then he removed the pen from his breast pocket, clicked it then dismantled it, he brought out a small memory card and handed it to me. "Insert it in your phone" he instructed me.
I was setting up the tray..the bread smelled wonderful and was very soft..and still hot and my stomach was already making some kind of notice in anticipation but I stopped and collected it, I removed my own memory card then replaced it then powered on the phone.
I went straight to the recordings and selected the only file to play:

"Bami I know you're hungry..yours is coming don't worry...but please don't covert my food anymore........yes sir!....."

I looked at him impressed, "its really clear!"
"Of course it is..I only deal with the best of gadgets"
I nodded and he handed me the pen. It was quite a fancy pen, like a ball point pen but the ball came off to replace the memory card.
"So..two clicks it starts recording, one click it stops...got it"
I replaced the memory card and spread the tray immediately on the bed.
I looked at strange eyes "yours would be here soon"
"No problem...who worked on your hair? The both of you?"
As if in reply, there was a knock on the door.
"The room service is quite fast" said strange eyes in anticipation.
But it was Wendy this time, she wore a short gown, a big smile and a big backpack that no doubt housed her magic wand and everything else she would need.
I introduced her to strange eyes as the mastermind behind our altered appearance then when her eyes also lingered on the tray I playfully introduced her to the food also "food..meet Wendy..Wendy say hi to the food" she laughed but I also knew she hadn't had any breakfast also and thankfully the knock sounded again..this time the second tray was wheeled in and everyone had a plate.
For the next few minutes we didn't say much as everyone focused on the immediate problem before him/her.

Finally after both trays had been cleaned out, Wendy stood up..."okay..you guys need to have your bath so I can get to work"
I dragged strange eyes outside, leaving the women inside to take care of their business.
"What of Tonye..where is she?"
"She's close by..still working on getting the call records"
"Okay...could she come here before we leave for the interview for a final briefing?"
"No problem..I'd buzz her...." His eyes went wide suddenly
"What is it again?" I asked him
"This your old man disguise...this isn't the first time...you've done it before at a restaurant...you sent me messages about the old killer woman and Mona and you were right in front of me weren't you?"
I just laughed and he looked at me. "Rex...you have my respect..that was a good one!"

Wendy called to say it was safe to come in and we went back in. "Olivia was almost unrecognizable, she had dressed up in the blouse and wrapper Wendy had selected the night before and She looked like somebody's grandmother.
I noticed she had removed the earphone, probably when she wanted to have her bath and it lay on the dresser. I removed mine also and retired to the bathroom.

Ten minutes later and I was decked out in the trouser that had been selected but I didn't have the native top on yet, I sat bare chested facing the mirror as Wendy coloured my teeth and worked on my face till it looked like a rumpled piece of cloth.
Strange eyes had been observing Olivia all along, marveling at the change in her look but now when he saw my face he exclaimed "wow!wow!wow!" He turned to Wendy "excuse me...where do you work?"
She smiled "its a makeup school, we teach the art as an entrepreneurial study but we also work in movies..mostly high budget movies"
His eyes were turning and I knew what he was thinking. I shook my head behind her back, signaling him not to offer her a job with the agency like I knew he was about to.
He seemed to catch my drift because he said instead "okay..you're really really good...the best I've come across...and I'd hope to use your services sometime in the nearest future"
She handed him the Jossy's makeup school card. "The address is on it and phone numbers...I don't usually do this private calls..I just made an exception for Mr Rex"
He nodded and took it.
"I must warn you..our prices are anything but cheap" she told him
"Believe me...I have a big enough budget" he responded with a sly smile.
It was ten minutes past 9 when she took her leave.
We waved her goodbye and she tucked the check I had written her securely in her purse.
"Take care Rex..and you too Olivia..let me know how the game show turns out..if you win the first prize" the tone of her voice said she didn't believe the cock and bull story I had fed her but I laughed as I saw her to the door.
"Thank you Wendy...take Care!"

Now I was fidgeting again..."I can't believe we'll be late for the interview"
"Calm down...is it not by ten?" Strange eyes asked
"But its 9:30!"
"Rex relax..this is not the time to freak out...believe me everything is African time..if you're late no big deal...maybe that's what would get you disqualified!"
I calmed down a bit...maybe he was right...but deep down I didn't believe it.

Agent Tonye turned up shortly after. She had trouble believing I was the same person she had met at the hospital the night before.
She handed Strange eyes a sheet of paper and he glanced through it.
"Okay Mr Obasi..so we're all here let's hear it"

The hotel clerk couldn't seem to close his mouth when we checked out...he kept on looking at Olivia then me, then Olivia...and I couldn't blame him, it seems we had aged overnight.

09:53am seven minutes to the interview...

"Okay so the four of us are a team..test the ear phones if you can hear properly" strange eyes announced as we left the hospital. We all spoke and the signal was next to perfect.
We had gone to check up on Andy quickly at the hospital and he had trouble recognizing the both of us, if not for the wheelchair and probably my voice. I was happy he was recovering faster, he talked more and his voice was stronger. He gave us his blessing when I told him we were going to the interview today and I knew he was thinking of Mona again. I assured him their deaths would be avenged and the initiative would fall and I made sure to hide the fear from my voice.

Now, Olivia was in the car and I was about getting into the driver seat.
Strange eyes was beside me and he was in his mechanic attire once more. The jumpsuit was back on, his nails were dirty with dried engine oil, and his footwear was a mess. "So...the important thing is to know that communication is key...we're with you every step of the way...every question you're asked..you have two extra pair of ears listening and we have your back"

We shook hands, "see you tonight then hopefully when we interrogate the bastard lawyer"
"Yes bro...take care..and don't be scared..Olivia take care"
I got in the car then drove off...with each signboard I passed showing the distance to the interview, my heart rate increased and Olivia was quiet too....we were both quiet thinking what the next few hours would hold.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by rachealfst(f): 12:41pm On May 02, 2017
Hmm! I want to believe all will be well. Thanks for the update. #Team Olirex

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by queenitee(f): 2:30pm On May 02, 2017
rachealfst:
Hmm! I want to believe all will be well.
Thanks for the update.
#Team Olirex
Me too, olirex

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by chidozeze(m): 3:35pm On May 02, 2017
OP you're genius, continue the good work.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Countrygirl(f): 5:20pm On May 02, 2017
souloho19:
Fam...apart from the ban..I'm back at my ppa @ Ebonyi state and its been raining since Friday....the only time I saw anything like electricity was for like 5 minutes..as I'm typing this my phone is on 9%..but tomorrow even if I have to go to the sun to charge up I would and I promise a sumptuous update..thanks for following... love you all!
love you too,
Wish you well at your PPA

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by BlissfulJeff(m): 5:50pm On May 02, 2017
nice one.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by donkelz(m): 8:48pm On May 02, 2017
souloho19:
Fam...apart from the ban..I'm back at my ppa @ Ebonyi state and its been raining since Friday....the only time I saw anything like electricity was for like 5 minutes..as I'm typing this my phone is on 9%..but tomorrow even if I have to go to the sun to charge up I would and I promise a sumptuous update..thanks for following... love you all!
Bro, your story is quite brillant and wonderful. This thriller looks like a James Hadley Chase piece!
Kudos!
By the way, am from Ebonyi State. Where is ur PPA?

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by honourable356(m): 9:21pm On May 02, 2017
How did you come about this kind if story??
Is it from a novel or your genetic gift of creativity at work??

I am awed at the story...
The very first time I felt this way was when I read a story called "silent seduction" by fiyah.
I could not help it but fell in love with her and till this very day,I still remember that story like it was yesterday.

Fiyah can you hear me?? Your work is highly appreciated and your person loved.

Now this new dude doesn't seem like he is gonna disappoint...

What a story!
Actually it sounds foreign but I have a feeling that thus is gonna be a mind blowing blockbuster story...

Like I said before, I hope I am not disappointed.

You have my support!!!

7 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 4:03pm On May 03, 2017
donkelz:

Bro, your story is quite brillant and wonderful. This thriller looks like a James Hadley Chase piece!
Kudos!
By the way, am from Ebonyi State. Where is ur PPA?

Tnx bro...my ppa is @ ezza south
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 4:05pm On May 03, 2017
honourable356:
How did you come about this kind if story??
Is it from a novel or your genetic gift of creativity at work??

I am awed at the story...
The very first time I felt this way was when I read a story called "silent seduction" by fiyah.
I could not help it but fell in love with her and till this very day,I still remember that story like it was yesterday.

Fiyah can you hear me?? Your work is highly appreciated and your person loved.

Now this new dude doesn't seem like he is gonna disappoint...

What a story!
Actually it sounds foreign but I have a feeling that thus is gonna be a mind blowing blockbuster story...

Like I said before, I hope I am not disappointed.

You have my support!!!

It means a lot..thanks and be rest assured u won't be disappointed.. honourable....Kudos thanks bross!
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 4:06pm On May 03, 2017
Countrygirl:
love you too,
Wish you well at your PPA

Tnx country kiss
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 4:10pm On May 03, 2017
Next update wld either be late tonyt or very early tomorrow...the journey is entering the closing phase..dear readers keep ur glasses on..Jah bless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by donkelz(m): 8:51pm On May 03, 2017
souloho19:

Tnx bro...my ppa is @ ezza south

Ok. That's nice, Am from Afikpo, but reside in Abakaliki.
How about we hook-up when you come into town?
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Maryclaire1(f): 2:41pm On May 04, 2017
Mind blowing as usual smiley thanks for the dedication and happy new month.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 12:39am On May 05, 2017
donkelz:

Ok. That's nice, Am from Afikpo, but reside in Abakaliki.
How about we hook-up when you come into town?

Is that ur number on ur siggy??..I'd give you a call bro!
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 12:40am On May 05, 2017
Maryclaire1:
Mind blowing as usual smiley thanks for the dedication and happy new month.

Uwc..and thanks for commenting.. Happy new month

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 12:44am On May 05, 2017
The venue of the interview was at an events hall. As I pulled into the parking lot, I had a feeling of déjà vu and could remember coming here for a wedding reception sometime in the past.
"It makes perfect sense..they use places like these for their so called interviews..how can anything be tracked back to them?" Olivia asked. Her voice was somehow...it wasn't full of confidence like earlier and I couldn't blame her.
I held her hands "Olivia.. Listen its not too late..we can drive away now..we don't need to go through with this"
But she shook her head like I knew she would "no..I'm ready let's do this"
Over the earphone strange eyes said "the funny thing is the official address for the initiative is the boutique owned by the Chief's wife..just imagine"
Tonye added "how does the place look?"
Me: "we're still at the parking lot...but there are a lot of cars here"
"Okay...we're with you don't forget" strange eyes reminded us.

I could see women, both young and old...all widows no doubt heading towards the entrance, some lingered outside to speak to each other. I could count the number of men I saw, it seems most women had come alone or with another woman, probably a friend or sister.
I was overcome with a sudden urge to shout at the top of my voice and warn them all of the impending doom they were unknowingly stepping into but I struggled for control, that would be a big error because no one would be saved that way, they would probably look at me like a senile old man. So instead I played the part of an elderly man wheeling his sister towards the interview like everyone else.

The entrance was decorated with banners of the initiative and their various sponsors.
When I saw the banner with the heading: Sunrise Steel proud sponsor, my blood went cold...I knew the affiliation between sunrise and sunset, one was the sponsor...but the other dealt with the widows being sponsored..dealt them a very harsh card....I shook my head and gritted my teeth....no way..I was going to change and stop that somehow, I had to.
"This way please...whats your registration number sir?" A young man in a 'widows initiative' polo shirt asked
"Number 60" I responded with a croaky voice.
"Okay..welcome sir..good luck with the interview" he handed me a tag with the number 60, but when I proceeded to pocket it, he said "no...actually sir..she's meant to clip it on her shirt...somewhere visible"
So I helped Olivia clip the tag to the lapel of her blouse as I did so I couldn't help wondering if the young man knew about the trafficking scheme...probably not..but one couldn't be too sure.

•°•°••°•°•°°•

The hall was set up with chairs, neatly arranged and there was a low murmur of voices as the potential 'trafickees' talked within themselves, probably sharing life stories.
I wheeled Olivia and settled beside her in a comfortable foam chair.
"Are you in yet? How does the place look?" Strange eyes asked me over the headphone
"There are lots of women here...about 200 if I should guess"
He whistled and the shrill sound from the earphone made Olivia and I jerk.
As if he knew he apologised immediately "sorry...sorry about that...have you seen the target yet?"
The 'target' in question was the lawyer: Mr Bright.
I answered..trying to limit the movement of my lips as much as possible "no...nothing yet..its just us for now in the hall"

"Excuse me..good morning ma"
A young woman seated next to Olivia spoke up
"Good morning dear" Olivia responded
"You're a widow?" The woman asked
"Yes I am..how about you?"
The lady nodded sadly "my husband was killed...poisoned by his own brother...and everything he worked for was snatched by his brothers...so here I am...just thank God for this initiative...I don't know how else I can take care of the four children I have left"
Olivia shook her head "that's so bad..are you here alone?"
"No, I'm here with my eldest daughter..she should be here somewhere" she looked round the hall but didn't see her.
"What's your name ma?" The woman asked Olivia "you sound so young"
"I'm Olivia...thank you..and you?"
"I'm Lola" the woman replied
"What of your husband..what happened?"
I didn't think Olivia would be comfortable talking about her dead husband but she surprised me
"He died in an accident...we were in the car together when a trailer ran into us..that was how I sustained this injury"
The woman made cooing noises and my mind drifted from their conversation although I could hear Olivia clearly through the ear phone.
I looked around at the faces of strange women I hoped to save and I was lost in thought when strange eye's voice jerked me back.
"Rex...are you there..what do you see?"
Before I could answer him a young man came on stage. He held a microphone and he tapped it, resulting in a high pitched sound that immediately ushered decorum in the hall.
"Good morning beautiful women and gentlemen, we're here because you all meet the requirement for the initiative and at the end of the day I hope each of you would leave here with a big smile and a big check"

"Who's that...who's speaking?" Strange eyes asked eagerly over the phone
"Maybe you should have arranged for the camera bow tie like I requested, but you laughed it off...and now you're the one disturbing me" I replied him and a woman to my left looked at me strangely. I gave her a mean old smile and she looked away hurriedly.
The man on the podium continued "now...you all know why we're here...and the procedure of the interview..but what you don't know is the history behind the initiative...how did this noble organisation come into being?"

For the next 10 minutes, the man droned on like a machine, with a history no doubt as fake as his accent about how the initiative came to be, about how the founder, one Mrs Rosalyn Benita had been raised up by a widow and had promised to grow up and render help to all widows like her mother, to benefit children like she and provide for them in ways she never had.

I actually spaced out while the man rambled on, as I tried to take in every face in the hall, but then everyone broke into a round of applause suddenly and I was brought back to reality as the Chief's wife herself, the honourable Mrs Benita took the stage.
She looked every bit like the last time I had seen her, still like a queen but the only difference was the iciness was replaced with some kind of warmth, although I knew it was probably fake, still she did a good job. She was dressed in some kind of suit and I must say she did look very elegant.
she took the mike gracefully and introduced herself to the crowd as a 'sister,daughter and mother' of all widows. She spent some few minutes talking about her past and how life had been without a father...for a minute I started to believe it...why not? It was actually possible her mother had been a widow and she had been brought up by a single parent and grew up with a noble and beautiful dream, but somewhere along the line the chief changed her values and added the extra branch consisting of the sunset shadows...I shook the thoughts out of my head.
".....so my friends and sisters please the interview is a very important aspect because it may sound crazy but believe me there have been some scam cases where women pretend to be widows all for the sole purpose of benefiting from the initiative"
The crowd gasped and she went on "yes...my friends..it is hard to believe but it is very true...so you must bear with the excos and try to answer all questions you would be asked...no matter how it may seem"
She then proceeded to give the format of the interview.
Apparently, the excos would be seated at a table and each women moved from one to the other, that way the initiative moved swiftly and everyone was attended to in no time.
She urged family and friends to be patient and wait in the main hall or in the car park outside.
She rounded up by saying a very delicious lunch was waiting for everyone immediately after the interview.

Olivia looked at me and I looked at her. She would be going alone for the interview....I had thought it would be the both of us, but this new piece of information shook me badly..I told myself it didn't matter but it did...I didn't want her out of my sight and I could see something that resembled fear creep into her eyes.

Mrs Benita ended her speech by declaring the interview 'officially open' and she disappeared into a doorway that only seemed to appear now.
The young man took the mike immediately and announced for widows within the tag range 1-20 to please move to the next hall.
There was a shuffle as the widows all complied.
We stared at each other I held her hands trying to reassure her but it seems I was the one who needed it.
I was about to tell her I wasn't comfortable with the interview after all, we had to leave we could think of something else..there would be another way to take down the initiative without having to risk any of our lives. Strange eyes voice burst through the earphone just as I opened my mouth.
"Okay...Rex...the important part of the plan has to be now...you need to go to the parking lot and locate a Toyota Venza jeep, colour grey with plate number Fst-654q21"
I was silent.
"Rex...can you hear me...this was your plan..you better not develop cold feet!"
"I know...but I can't leave Olivia alone now...not yet"
"Believe me Rex...now is the time...you heard the announcement...you wouldn't be allowed into the interview anyway...you need to do this like we planned now!"
I still hesitated. Olivia squeezed my hand "Rex...it would be fine..go"
"Rex...you saw the report...nothing have ever happened to any widow at the venue of the interview..that is where they are most safe...don't let this opportunity pass by!"

I finally let go of Olivia's hand and I wobbled outside, taking my time. People greeted me showing respect to who they perceived as a very elderly man. I waved in reply but didn't speak. My eyes were travelling everywhere...resting on everything at once.
Once I was outside, I quickened my pace. The parking lot was still quite filled up, people were talking, taking pictures, there were snack sellers, ice cream sellers and even photographers. They all whistled at me sensing a potential customer but I frowned and awarded them with the mean old smile I had come to master in a short while.

It wasn't easy spotting the vehicle. Strange eyes kept on repeating the description for me, and I took my time walking round, checking out each car that remotely resembled the colour.
The sun was out already and I used my hand to shield my eyes as I looked around. Thankfully, no one really spared me a glance. Finally I saw the jeep. It was parked to one side, away from the rest beside a car I had come to know very well. The Mercedes convertible...Ada's ride. I looked around and wondered if she was also in this place...as a matter of fact I had first seen the Mercedes and was admiring and wondering (and remembering)before I noticed the jeep beside it was indeed a venza and the plate number matched the one strange eyes was constantly repeating in my ear.
I took my time, not rushing, walking slowly then stopping every now and then for the benefit of anyone watching me.
I was beside the jeep now, in between the Jeep and the Mercedes and I made a show of checking my reflection in the window but then I thought it would look like I was peering into the car and so I hurried quickly to the back of the car and located the exhaust pipe.
Strange eyes was busy asking "are you there yet? Are you there yet?" But I ignored him.
I brought out the rolled up muffler from my wide pants pocket. I looked around nonchalantly and in the blink of an eye I squatted down with much youthful vigor and stuffed the muffler into the exhaust pipe, successfully blocking the silencer.

For an Engine to Run, both Air Filter and Exhaust must be Ventilated! If not, it might not stop immediately but after running a few minutes, The Exhaust fills up and stops the Engine from running then on!
This was what I was hoping for...and I hoped I had stuffed the exhaust properly...it would be the worst luck if the lawyer drove his car home today without experiencing any car trouble on the road.
I turned to leave and I was about to assure strange eyes the deed was done, but then I asked myself "did I stuff it well? What if I had left a little space?"
I looked around again and bent down and re stuffed the scarf. I was sure it was okay now...I was 100% sure that-
"Excuse me...can I help you?" I jerked and almost hit my head on the bumper as I struggled to my feet. I don't know where the man had come from..he had on the initiative polo shirt, so he was a worker.
"Excuse me?" I asked him as if I had trouble hearing but my mind was racing...searching for an excuse...
"Is there any problem?"
"Don't panic...don't panic..." Strange eyes was saying in the earphone and suddenly I didn't see any reason to panic...I had faced what this young man couldn't stand and here I was..so he wasn't half the man to make me panic....not anymore.
I cleared my throat like a very old man..."yes problem...very big problem..my sister...I can't see her...I leave her in that building" I pointed towards the hall. "But I can't see her again...I don't know where she's hiding...I don't know..."
The man couldn't believe what he was hearing "so you're checking under the car?" He sounded incredulous!
"Ah...yes o...yes...she used to do it every time..one time she hide under Pa Gregory car and I didn't see her..but I need to see her now...mummy said its time for dinner!"
It took all my willpower to keep a straight face as the man's eyes grew wider...tgey almost bulged out of his face...he was sure he was talking to a nut job! This man had gotten so old that his brain must have expired! Must have been his very thought.
He put a hand on my shoulder. "Its okay sir..lemme lead you to your sister" I could just hear him say 'poor old man' in his mind and I was laughing in mine.
He led me back towards the entrance and was probably about to take me somewhere else before I shouted: "look at her...see my sister! She wasn't hiding..she was here all along!"
He still seemed bent on leading me wherever but I showed him the old man's bones weren't totally dried up yet, by shrugging out of his old easily and hurrying to Olivia's side.

"Is it done?" She asked me.
"Yes..yes...check the entrance is any young man coming this way?"
She looked over my shoulder "no...but he's looking at us.." She waved cheerfully "okay...he's gone now..." I breathed a sigh of relief.
"Why was he looking at us like two crazy people?" She asked me
"That's because Rex is a fucking genius!...that was a very nice one mate! I was very impressed!" Strange eyes replied.
"Is this how you're going to be interrupting us anyhow?" I asked him trying to steady my pulse.
"Don't mind his manners" Tonye replied from the earphone.
I was about to say the same goes for her too but then the announcer came back on the stage.
"Okay...ladies...wonderful ladies...please..from tag numbers 40-60...let's move to the interview hall!"

I wheeled Olivia slowly after the women, the other lady who gave her nane as 'Lola' must have fallen within the previous number when I was outside, probably 20-40..my heart was hammering....I could almost hear it...if I listened closely.
I handed her the pen.
"It may come in handy...who knows?...one click it starts...don't bother to stop it...don't forget I'm with you all the way"
She nodded and I continued wheeling her in silence.
I was beginning to think there might be an exception in our case and I might be allowed into the interview so I could continue Wheeling her from table to table but just as I nursed the thought, an usher in an initiative shirt emerged from nowhere to take the reigns. My hands seemed glued to the handles and he offered me a reassuring smile as he pried my fingers loose.

°•°•°•°•°•
I settled on the very first seat in the hall and put my head in my hands...one might think I was sleeping, but I was focused intently on the voices coming through the earphone.

A kind of peculiar noise that had to be the wheels of the chair turning(the signal sas indeed very sharp)and then,
welcome to the interview for the widows initiative batch D-6001-17...I'm simply Uduak by name..but you can call me 'big mommy'

I had been listening closely and trying to decipher the number 6001-17..17 should mean the year 2017...but what about 6,001? Could it be the number of the widows so fat that have been trafficked out and was in the process of being trafficked out?..these were my thoughts until I heard the voice introduce herself as 'big mummy' the woman from my dream...the Chief's alleged mother and the person in charge of selecting the widows that got trafficked out....my throat went dry immediately.
Oh boy....
I absently drew the sign of the cross and focused on listening to every sound coming from the earphone."

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by queenitee(f): 7:49am On May 05, 2017
Awwwn, this Rex is too smart, poor old man. Lol

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Countrygirl(f): 4:53pm On May 05, 2017
Awww...suspence is killing
I wish you would continue, Weldon sir

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by nastynic(m): 5:25pm On May 05, 2017
Dope!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool wink

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by BlissfulJeff(m): 7:55am On May 06, 2017
beautiful

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by dimssy(m): 8:18pm On May 06, 2017
So souloho19.....
I dey gbadun you....when is the next update.....
Greater heights in your creativity.

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 9:44pm On May 06, 2017
dimssy:
So souloho19.....
I dey gbadun you....when is the next update.....
Greater heights in your creativity.

Tnx bro..it sld be ready by tomorrow,stay blessed
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by rachealfst(f): 10:22pm On May 07, 2017
Hmmm......ride on bro. You are the best. God bless you.
#Team Olirex

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by queenitee(f): 8:05am On May 08, 2017
souloho19:

Tnx bro..it sld be ready by tomorrow,stay blessed
Today niyen o grin grin Olirex
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by yommy20(f): 9:34am On May 08, 2017
We r waiting for next updates o abeg #teamolirex#

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 1:49am On May 09, 2017
queenitee:

Today niyen o grin grin Olirex

Lol...sorry for the delay, na Chelsea fault..hope u enjoy
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 1:51am On May 09, 2017
yommy20:
We r waiting for next updates o abeg #teamolirex#

Yommy...I hope you find it yummy cheesy
Thanks for keeping up

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 1:53am On May 09, 2017
rachealfst:
Hmmm......ride on bro. You are the best. God bless you.
#Team Olirex

Rachealfst..I can trust you to always comment...thanks God bless.
#Team OliR- lipsrsealed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (29) (Reply)

Food For Thought - Inspirational Quotes / THE PAINS OF LOVING A STAR [a story that touches the heart] / Unplanned Love (imaginary Love Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.