Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? - Gaming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? (7530 Views)

Ppsspp Android And Computer Games Here! (directdownload Links) / Computer Games To Try Out Before The Year Runs Out / Which Computer Games Do You Play? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by maedan(f): 11:40pm On Nov 29, 2009
Yah @obinna5000. grin. If you're already brainy and good in school, then please keep up with the gaming. But if you be olodo, just stay away from the console bc ur studies will always suffer grin.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by TheSly: 11:46pm On Nov 29, 2009
oyb:

check [b]texazzpete [/b]and dakmanzero

Are you listening to the douche-nut who posted this thread?
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by obinna5000(m): 12:11am On Nov 30, 2009
maedan:

Yah @obinna5000. grin. If you're already brainy and good in school, then please keep up with the gaming. But if you be olodo, just stay away from the console bc your studies will always suffer grin.

@maedan
grin grin I no dey school again. I no allow game take over my life sha!!! grin
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by maedan(f): 12:15am On Nov 30, 2009
I wasn't talking to you directly, of course wink, obinna5000. But if someone has kids who are slow learners or poor at school, pls pls pls keep them away from the X-box. Though if you don't have it at home then they'll go play it at a friend's place anyway undecided. But from experience I noticed that guys who have so much time for games are never best in class. But they're as intelligent as can be. Different thing.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by ulovecasca(m): 12:17am On Nov 30, 2009
Not really but when you get adapted to anything is affect one for real.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by shesi(m): 12:39am On Nov 30, 2009
too much of everything is bad.

and most things taken in moderation is good. God knows how many deadlines i have met and projects i've powered through with a little inspiration (weed smiley ) and how many meeting and interviews i've aced because of a little nerves relaxer (alcohol)
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by hahaha2(m): 1:01am On Nov 30, 2009
Once i saw the header of this post i was 99% sure it was a babe, u babes shud just leave us guys with our computer games, Cartoons(for some of us),beer and our football alone, abeg
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by bolngo: 1:57am On Nov 30, 2009
have u c any one that dumb as aresult of computer gam?
shocked
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by bolngo: 2:17am On Nov 30, 2009
pls i need a self reliance person hwo is intrestedin self employment and also interested in farming business,it is not matter where you come from, sex,what you need is full intrst in self employment,and hard working. pls no 419 pertiners,i discover tha nigerans need join ventures if we want to gow up.send ur coment to bolarious1@yahoo.com.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 3:56am On Nov 30, 2009
@Topic

I think this topic is an indirect complaint about some girl who isn't getting enough attention from her man so to her, that's "dumb" (typical "womanesse reasoning).I have been playing video games from the days of Atari,NES,Gameboy,Sega master system and today, i have wrecked 2 xbox 360's (thanks to the "rings of death) and i'm on a PS3.

I don't mean to brag but i know i am way way way way way smarter than 90% of people on NL.Most people on here are dumb (e.g the poster hence the dumb posts).Anyone who thinks video games is dumb is actually the dumb ass coz their sponge brains can't analyze what's going on.All their brains can decipher is an over grown "boy" staring at the big screen and punching buttons aimlessly (anyone who reasons like this needs a head transplant).Have you ever played or seen Assassins creed?Have you seen Metal Gear 4 being played on PS3?Silent hill 2 (homecoming) has been in my crib for almost a year coz i am not "smart enough" to end it. . .lol

On a more serious note, games engage your brain and there are thousands of scientists out there that will actually explain to you how playing video games boosts the mind.I didn't have time to search too much on Google but here is one or two sites you can get some info from :

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Health/story?id=814080&page=1
http://news.illinois.edu/NEWS/08/1211gamers.html

On a more personal note, my woman loves to watch E! Channel,Read OMG online,fashion TV,Africa magic,Africa magic plus (anything with gossip stories in it).I personally see that as dumb but i also understand that everyone's different especially when it comes to gender.Women LOVE gossip.Men love to engage their minds.Go figure.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by maedan(f): 4:00am On Nov 30, 2009
Since when has playing computer games been "engaging the mind?" Not like it's chess or anything. It's basically entertainment, just like watching TV/movies/reading novels is. Even with all the so-called hard-to-crack difficulty levels of these games, they are still what they are: games. Not like you were saving the world for real or anything undecided grin.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 4:05am On Nov 30, 2009
Since when has playing computer games been "engaging the mind?" Not like it's chess or anything. It's basically entertainment, just like watching TV/movies/reading novels is. Even with all the so-called hard-to-crack difficulty levels of these games, they are still what they are: games. Not like you were saving the world for real or anything

An the chess you mentioned is what? What is chess called?

A GAME! ! !

Not like you were saving the world for real or anything

And watching E! Channel,reading fashion mags,senseless nolly wood movies is saving the world right? Good God! ! !

Na wa for d people oooo!
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by maedan(f): 4:09am On Nov 30, 2009
'S ok, not here to argue with u undecided cool. But when you kept going on about games like it was some deeply intellectual activity, I had to comment. I thrive on the entertainment and gossip channels, but what has that got to do with the issues involved here?? I'm sure if computer games were a course in school none of you would enjoy it so much grin.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 4:19am On Nov 30, 2009
'S ok, not here to argue with u . But when you kept going on about games like it was some deeply intellectual activity, I had to comment. [/b]I thrive on the entertainment and gossip channels, but what has that got to do with the issues involved here?? I'm sure if computer games were a course in school none of you would enjoy it so much

Make no mistake about it.[b]VIDEO GAMES ARE INTELLECTUAL
hobbies.It's not for DUMB people.Most of the games i play are not always fun.They actually force me to think,act fast,plan stagetically,form alliances and so on.Maybe you are talking about the old mario bros games or perhaps car racing games (which are actually fun).I play more of strategy/combat games.I can go on and on about games but like they say WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU DON'T KNOW.There is no point explaining video games to someone who hasn't bothered picking up a pad and playing for 10 mins.In between, its a hobby not a life or death thing like some posters are making it up to be.

I'm sure if computer games were a course in school none of you would enjoy it so much

Actually, i considered designing a simple 8-bit game as my project back in my university days .I studied computer engineering in ESUT and graduated in 2003.

Games are NOT for dumb people (especially games of today)
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 4:22am On Nov 30, 2009
'S ok, not here to argue with u . But when you kept going on about games like it was some deeply intellectual activity, I had to comment. I thrive on the entertainment and gossip channels, but what has that got to do with the issues involved here?? I'm sure if computer games were a course in school none of you would enjoy it so much

Make no mistake about it.VIDEO GAMES ARE INTELLECTUAL hobbies.It's not for DUMB people.Most of the games i play are not always fun.They actually force me to think,act fast,plan stagetically,form alliances and so on.Maybe you are talking about the old mario bros games or perhaps car racing games (which are actually fun).I play more of strategy/combat games.I can go on and on about games but like they say WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU DON'T KNOW.There is no point explaining video games to someone who hasn't bothered picking up a pad and playing for 10 mins.In between, its a hobby not a life or death thing like some posters are making it up to be.

I'm sure if computer games were a course in school none of you would enjoy it so much

Actually, i considered designing a simple 8-bit game as my project back in my university days .I studied computer engineering in ESUT and graduated in 2003.

Games are NOT for dumb people (especially games of today)
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 4:57am On Nov 30, 2009
they because when they look left,right and center
all they see is Noob saibot,subzero and nightwolf's MORTAL KOMBAT~

@190

Simply pathetic embarassed

Video games are definitely NOT made for the likes of you.It's because of guys like you the poster made this dumb post.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 5:01am On Nov 30, 2009
Do you mean dumber? I kid, I kid. . .Truth is, I don't think so. I grew up with Brothers and cousins who lived on nothing but video games and they are some of the smartest people I know and i'm not biased (ok, maybe just a li'l bit)

@Sisi_kill

Thank you jare.It's only BRAIN DEAD people with an IQ lower than 40 that can refer to video games as being dumb.

If you are someone that cannot make heads or tails about games, simply keep watching your nollywood movies,watching E! channel and reading trash magazines.No one's discriminating but don't come here and talk shit about what you have no idea of.

Rubbish!
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 5:06am On Nov 30, 2009
Has anyone noticed that most of the people who feel video games are dumb are female?

The rest are feminist males or nkwobi/palm wine folk.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by na2day2(m): 5:31am On Nov 30, 2009
@ poster

wrong, computer games when used appropriately have been proven to improve ones logical thinking and thats why the USA special forces and various other units use it to train their agents
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 5:37am On Nov 30, 2009
na2day?:

@ poster

wrong, computer games when used appropriately have been proven to improve ones logical thinking and thats why the USA special forces and various other units use it to train their agents

Thank you very much.Even the latest drones being used to take out high ranking militants in the middle east are operated like video games e.g the drones are controlled with a joystick, the soldier stares at the screen (just like a video game) and drops bombs when they see targets.Like i said before, VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT MEANT FOR DULLARDS! ! !

Period!
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by anguskelly: 5:56am On Nov 30, 2009
Nope i dont think so, but never liked computer game just a waste of time,
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 6:20am On Nov 30, 2009
anguskelly:

Nope i dont think so, but never liked computer game  just a waste of time,

The most honest answer in this thread.

@anguskelly

If you don't like video games, that's cool but calling it a "waste of time" is something else.Playing games is generally seen as a hobby or past time.IT'S NOT WORK (unless you are a game tester/developer).People spend hours drinking alcohol,clubbing,chasing girls,watching romance/love movies (which i find horrendously boring),watching chelse/arsenal matches and screaming their lungs out (which i consider ludicrous coz whether they win or lose, they still remain multi-millionaires or even billionaires, in naira grin) so what is the point?I don't deem it as a waste of time coz it's someone else's hobby.NOBODY WORKS 24/7 unless you want to decieve yourself.One man plays soccer 2009 to relax/ease the tension, another man goes to the bar to drink with his buddies and scream "UP CHELSEA" for the rest of the evening.

Everyone for himself!
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mirababy: 6:23am On Nov 30, 2009
yes,it can make them dumb like dondy and like a big goat.hissssssssssssssssssssssss.WHAT A STUPID QUESTION.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by Knight1(m): 6:28am On Nov 30, 2009
Games do not make guyz dumber, only cripples their social skills which, fortunately, most recover from after a while.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by na2day2(m): 6:29am On Nov 30, 2009
mccloud224:

Thank you very much.Even the latest drones being used to take out high ranking militants in the middle east are operated like video games e.g the drones are controlled with a joystick, the soldier stares at the screen (just like a video game) and drops bombs when they see targets.Like i said before, VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT MEANT FOR DULLARDS! ! !

Period!

yup! and the last time i checked, i came out alright  smiley smiley cool cool

Knight1:

Games do not make guyz dumber, only cripples their social skills which, fortunately, most recover from after a while.

well, the same can be said about ppl who stay on the internet or library everyday, everything shld be done in moderation
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 6:33am On Nov 30, 2009

Really?And what "social skill[/b]s" are you talking about? Is it interacting with people? Getting laid? Hanging out with the guys? Mixing up at the work place?Interacting with family?Which skills?Good lord.Save me from [b]IGNORANT PEOPLE! ! !

I hate to break it to you but i think you're absorbing everything you read on surveys and on TV.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by funshiba(m): 6:55am On Nov 30, 2009
aba totally imposible ke, i play it everyday and dem neva sack me for being a dullard,
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 7:09am On Nov 30, 2009
aba totally imposible ke, i play it everyday and dem neva sack me for being a dullard,

Abeg tell dem oooo! Me i no understand how games take make person dumb.

I have been playing video games for over 20 years. . .i'll be 30 years old in march 2010.In primary school, the lowest grade i ever got was 8th,i wrote JAMB and GCE once and gained admission.I came out of university in flying colors.Does that sound like a dumb person?

I still play games till today and intend playing till white hairs start falling of my armpits.I'll play with my kids and grand kids (not too sure of great grand kids. . .lol)
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by ow11(m): 7:10am On Nov 30, 2009
It has been proven that video games improves cognitive reasoning. Watching Big Brother, Home video and Gulder Ultimate search on the other hand undecided

The OP definately needs to play some video games to improve her reasoning skills as this question IS a DUMB one!
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by mccloud224(m): 7:32am On Nov 30, 2009
ow11:

It has been proven that video games improves cognitive reasoning. Watching Big Brother, Home video and Gulder Ultimate search on the other hand undecided

The OP definately needs to play some video games to improve her reasoning skills as this question IS a DUMB one!

Thank you very much. Abeg help me tell them coz the question is totally off key.

Like i said in my first post on the thread, the poster is simply expressing her frustration at her man for not giving her much attention (which in womanesse philosophy means "dumb"wink.
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by v3: 8:33am On Nov 30, 2009
@topic
I have a 32" flat screen wiv my ps3 on ANYTIME. . .i feel like letting off some steam & trust me, when i'm on it, i pay NO attention to what ANY lady would tell me. . .who give a flying Bleep what she finkz?? angry

I give her good loving, make her feel good all year round. . .would it hurt a bit if i ignored her? JEEEZ!!! angry
Re: Do Computer Games Make Guys Dumb In Real Life? by rozu4luv(m): 8:40am On Nov 30, 2009
it won't but u will want to play it all the time
i played game for 2 days witout eating wen i wanted to end god of war. but my grade were still high

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Internet Subscription Are You Using On PS4 To Play Online Games?? / Dream League Soccer 2020 300MB DLS 20 Offline Gold Edition Android Latest HD / Where Can I Download Pes 2016 For Ppsspp?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.