Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists (7161 Views)

How Boko Haram Killed Soldiers In Borno & Yobe: The Untold Story - Premium Times / Nnamdi Kanu ‘Shuts Down’ Abakaliki - Premium Times / Breaking: PDP Sweeps Rivers Rerun Elections- Premium-Times(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Limitednow: 11:22pm On Jan 19, 2017
TWO Journalists of Online Newspaper, Premium Times arrested on Thursday have been released by the Nigerian Police.

Photo; Twitter.com

‎Dapo Olorunyomi, publisher of the newspaper, was arrested alongside the judiciary correspondent, Evelyn Okakwu, at around 5:00 p.m.

They were released on bail and instructed to report at the FCT Police Command Headquarters by 8:00 a.m. Friday morning.

But a highly-placed police source said the invitation could be a ploy to detain the journalists for an extended period.

The police source said there are chances that the two could be taken before a Magistrate’s Court.

“From what I understand, if they report tomorrow morning, they will be taken to a Magistrate’s Court and arraigned before a judge that will readily comply with the police arrangement and grant order for them to be detained,” the source said. “That way, they can then claim to be detaining them legally.”

The development has sparked widespread condemnation, with the Amnesty International promising to launch an investigation into the motive behind it.

The journalists were arrested after several plain-clothed officers raided Premium Times office.

The newspaper’s managing editor, Idris Akinbajo, hailed the “overwhelming” support from Nigerians and readers around the world.

He said the paper would release a full statement after the journalists meet the police Friday morning.‎

http://www.socialtimesng.com/2017/01/police-pressure-release-detained-premium-times-journalists/

2 Likes

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by titjide: 11:26pm On Jan 19, 2017
Police is ur friend
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 19, 2017
Osibanjo should intervene in this Matter ASAP. Let Nigerians too rest before Buhari comes back.

6 Likes

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by babyfaceafrica: 12:14am On Jan 20, 2017
Nice one
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by madridguy(m): 12:21am On Jan 20, 2017
Ok
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by rifasenate11(m): 1:23am On Jan 20, 2017
they have no case against premium times

6 Likes

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by romme2u: 2:50am On Jan 20, 2017
....and the macabre dance begins
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by ivandragon: 4:00am On Jan 20, 2017
I hope the Social Media Idiots have a good defence for this one...

with SaharaReporters & PremiumTimes being hounded, this might signal the end of exposés on this regime.

anyway, methinks there is a bigger agenda behind all these & to actualise that agenda, the media needs to be gagged.

now its news media. the social media is next!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by roughdiamond(m): 7:23am On Jan 20, 2017
Honestly, with these arrests of journalists, I can firmly confirm and believe strongly that the raids on some judges houses and almost all the arrests taken place, including that of EFCC are all propaganda. Even if we are Still in military Era, it's too much already. Brutai should just simply come out and clear all the allegations against him because this his "action" proves that to be true. Thank God I overcame all the temptations to vote for this government even after all their useless promises

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Aburi001: 7:49am On Jan 20, 2017
PMB and AIG don day fear the new sheriff in town be that..... shocked shocked

It's time to embrace and practice Democratic principles at all costs.

Long live Trump.... grin

Long America.... grin

Long live Nigeria .... grin

1 Like

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by veacea: 7:50am On Jan 20, 2017

1 Like

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by DonCortino: 7:51am On Jan 20, 2017
kin8744:
Osibanjo should intervene in this Matter ASAP. Let Nigerians too rest before Buhari comes back.

Da one get liver?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 20, 2017
MAVRODIAL PRESSURE
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 20, 2017
I was hoping they will keep him for much longer.

Those that fed the tiger when it was small will eventually end up in its stomach niw it has grown

In other news, Sahara reporters have gone really quiet lately

1 Like

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 20, 2017
Why the arrest in the first instance? The president team are doing more harm to PMB than good by their undemocratic actions. PMB is fast losing goodwill and credibility locally and internationally. I just noticed that the die hard supporters of PMB on nairaland forum have started losing confidence in him.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by kings09(m): 8:00am On Jan 20, 2017
SR n PT go hear am. The Nation newspapers will be next.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by inpeace: 8:04am On Jan 20, 2017
really
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by tete7000(m): 8:08am On Jan 20, 2017
roughdiamond:
Honestly, with these arrests of journalists, I can firmly confirm and believe strongly that the raids on some judges houses and almost all the arrests taken place, including that of EFCC are all propaganda. Even if we are Still in military Era, it's too much already. Brutai should just simply come out and clear all the allegations against him because this his "action" proves that to be true. Thank God I overcame all the temptations to vote for this government even after all their useless promises

But those promises are too fake anyway. How does any rational person vote a party with Lai Mohamed as a spokesperson, a shameless old man who has penchant for lying. I sometimes wonder what lai's children will do if their father lies with such impunity. It's really disgusting.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by kerryjossy(f): 8:09am On Jan 20, 2017
This is what we get whenever we report the exact way things happened. The Government will always want us to report otherwise...and that is why the receivers will always percieve us as liars. We'all know the ethics of our proffession and so the government arresting us when we carry out our duty is wrong. This has been the ordeal of Journalists since day one.

I pray the NUJ will stand up and address this issue The harassment is getting out of hand!!

1 Like

Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Agimor(m): 8:16am On Jan 20, 2017
Clamping down on social media voices.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by kerryjossy(f): 8:19am On Jan 20, 2017
ivandragon:
I hope the Social Media Idiots have a good defence for this one...

with SaharaReporters & PremiumTimes being hounded, this might signal the end of exposés on this regime.

anyway, methinks there is a bigger agenda behind all these & to actualise that agenda, the media needs to be gagged.

now its news media. the social media is next!

Even if the govt controls the activities of the print and broadcast media houses, it cant control the digital media. Almost every average Nigerian now has nose for news. If u can control Linda Ikeji from publishing a particular news, there are still one thousand n one other ways for that particular news to get to the public.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by sakalisis(m): 8:29am On Jan 20, 2017
Okay
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by ivandragon: 8:36am On Jan 20, 2017
kerryjossy:

Even if the govt controls the activities of the print and broadcast media houses, it cant control the digital media. Almost every average Nigerian now has nose for news. If u can control Linda Ikeji from publishing a particular news, there are still one thousand n one other ways for that particular news to get to the public.

& how many of those 'digital media' mediums carry out investigative journalism or are as reputable as PremiumTimes?

its not about getting junk information from 1001 places, its getting concise & informative news from reputable sources...
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by 111jideofor: 8:59am On Jan 20, 2017
Idiotic police people
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by shammah1(m): 9:20am On Jan 20, 2017
Useless government agents
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by shammah1(m): 9:23am On Jan 20, 2017
You mean that mere commissioner?
kin8744:
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by kerryjossy(f): 11:35am On Jan 20, 2017
ivandragon:

& how many of those 'digital media' mediums carry out investigative journalism or are as reputable as PremiumTimes?

its not about getting junk information from 1001 places, its getting concise & informative news from reputable sources...

There are!! Majority of them. Some of the news u see on newspapers are gotten from such sources (quote me anywhere). I know we all think that its only trained investigative journalists that does that...it doesnt work that way. I work in a media house. I know how we get some of the news we publish. There are still people out there who are ready to dig out the news behind 'the news'. They musnt work in a media house. Some of them prefer to go online and be heard instead of selling the news to the print media houses knowing fully well that their 'hard sourced information' could be dead when it gets to these media houses.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by ephi123(f): 12:46pm On Jan 20, 2017
factsandfigures:
Why the arrest in the first instance? The president team are doing more harm to PMB than good by their undemocratic actions. PMB is fast losing goodwill and credibility locally and internationally. I just noticed that the die hard supporters of PMB on nairaland forum have started losing confidence in him.

He's actually lost it already.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 20, 2017
shammah1:
You mean that mere commissioner?
I mean the professor.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by ivandragon: 5:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
kerryjossy:

There are!! Majority of them. Some of the news u see on newspapers are gotten from such sources (quote me anywhere). I know we all think that its only trained investigative journalists that does that...it doesnt work that way. I work in a media house. I know how we get some of the news we publish. There are still people out there who are ready to dig out the news behind 'the news'. They musnt work in a media house. Some of them prefer to go online and be heard instead of selling the news to the print media houses knowing fully well that their 'hard sourced information' could be dead when it gets to these media houses.

you still didn't address the main issue...

how many of these so called media houses are reputable enough to be reckoned with?

I do not doubt that there are other media houses that can get their hands dirty when it comes to getting sensitive information, but would people reckon with the source of the information?

I remember during the campaigns when PMB said he does not own a house in Abuja, one of these 'lesser' online mediums went as far as publishing pictures of the mansion which was worth over N2b.

but how many people reckoned it that information despite the fact that it was true?

imagine if SaharaReports or PremiumTimes had released that same information... it would have made a massive dent in APC's campaign.
Re: Police Bow To Pressure, Releases Detained Premium Times journalists by shammah1(m): 6:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
OK. Lol
kin8744:
I mean the professor.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Edo Election: This Just Happened To My Dad / Which Local Government Is The Largest In Terms Of Landmass? / Obj Son Of An Ibo Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.