Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn (8422 Views)

Diezani Alison-Madueke Loses 56 Houses To FG, Court Orders Permanent Forfeiture / Court Orders Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani Alison-Madueke's $37.5m Mansion / Photos Of Diezani Allison-Madueke's $153Million Estate In Yenagoa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by metroblogger: 8:18am On Jan 25, 2017
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to order the forfeiture of N9.billion allegedly laundered for former Minister of Petroleum Resources Diezani Allison-Madueke.

The former minister who is currently in London in a recent statement that she did not steal any funds belonging to the government.
- Advertisement -

Justice Muslim Hassan had on January 6 ordered the forfeiture of N23,446,300,000 and $5milion (about N1.5billion) said to be stashed in banks.

Rotimi Oyedepo, EFCC counsel urged the court on Tuesday to order the permanent forfeiture of the money to the Federal Government.

Oyedepo said the Advance Fee Fraud and other Related Offences Act makes a property that is reasonably suspected by EFCC to be proceeds of unlawful act forfeitable to the Federal Government.

“Can it be said that from the facts and circumstances of this case, that the N9,080,000,000.00, which is the naira equivalent of $40million cannot be reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activity?” Oyedepo asked.

Charles Adeogun, lawyer to Executive Director of First Bank Plc, Dauda Lawal, asked the court to order a refund, stating that the funds were siezed by the EFCC through coercion.

Adeogun argued that his client admitted having received $25 million on Mrs. Alison-Madueke’s behalf, but was coerced by the commission to further admit receiving $65 million.

Oyedepo however said there was a conspiration between Adeogun and some NNPC officials to launder the money.

“My lord, paragraph 4 of our reply affidavit shows a meeting of the minds of one Gbenga Komolafe, former Group Managing Director, Crude Oil Marketing Division of NNPC, Prince Haruna Momoh, former Group Managing Director, Petroleum Product Marketing company, Umar Farouk Ahmed, and Group Managing Director, Nigerian Product Marketing Company, Stanley Lawson, Babajide Sonoiki and the second respondent, Executive Director of First Bank of Nigeria.

“The evidence shows their agreement to retain and launder funds on behalf of the former Petroleum Minister Diezanni Alison-Madueke.

“It’ll amount to contesting the obvious to argue that the second respondent did not have knowledge of the source of the money,” Oyedepo said.

The lawyer denied that EFCC detained Lawal without a court order, adding that his statement was lawfully and voluntarily obtained.

He said Lawal admitted that the $40million was in his possession.

Oyedepo added: “I submit that the proper order your Lordship should make is the final forfeiture of the N9.08billion to the Federal Government being sum found in proceed of unlawful activity.

“I urge my Lord to hold that the second respondent (Lawal) has not shown good cause why the said sum should not be forfeited. The funds were recovered from him. The funds we’re seeking to attach is in possession of the second respondent.

“Having advertised to the whole world pursuant to the order of my lord and no one else came to claim the money except the second respondent, it’ll be appropriate to order the forfeiture of the N9.08billion.

“For the other respondents, in view of their failure to react to the case, they are deemed to have admitted the facts contained in our application.

“Since no one has shown cause in relation to N23,446,300,000 and the sum of $5milion, I, therefore, urge your lordship to order the forfeiture of the sums to the Federal Government finally.”

Justice Hassan adjourned until February 16 for judgment.

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/01/efcc-seeks-permanent-forfeiture-of.html

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by soberdrunk(m): 8:41am On Jan 25, 2017
Chai!!! I dont even know what or who to believe in this Diezanigate" saga but if truly aunty 'took' all these monies then the thunder that will fire her will be delivered by Dhl 'executive express" very fast and on time and it will hit the spot like a cold bottle of Gulder on a very hot saturday afternoon..... angry

11 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Judah95(m): 8:41am On Jan 25, 2017
Today is my Birthday. Please show some love by hitting 'Like 'button

25 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 25, 2017
Where dem dey see this kin money
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by verygudbadguy(m): 8:42am On Jan 25, 2017
I thought Diezani denied ownership of that money. Why are we still referring to it as her money when she said it's not hers.

Whoever owns that money, let it be forfeited to the govt's coffers. I pray it doesn't get re-looted by some other looting experts...

10 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by xynerise: 8:42am On Jan 25, 2017
If there are no proof that she stole the money, please give the hardworking woman her dough

8 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by bettercreature(m): 8:43am On Jan 25, 2017
grin grin grin grin grin grin One of the beautiful thiefs who almost destroyed my beloved country
Anybody who tries to destroy this country will never know peace

10 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by softMarket(m): 8:44am On Jan 25, 2017
EFCC is confusing me

$40m
N9b
$23m
$5m.
$25m
$65m

Na toilet roll she steal?

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Qmerit(m): 8:44am On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:
If there are no proof that she stole the money, please give the hardworking woman her dough

She said she's not the owner of the money logically the other day so which one should be given to her?
One Can't Forfeit What She Never Own---Diezani

12 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Atiku2019: 8:45am On Jan 25, 2017
grin grin
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by bettercreature(m): 8:46am On Jan 25, 2017
Atiku2019:
grin grin
And this man is here loading another thief

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Businessideas: 8:46am On Jan 25, 2017
The EFCC Lawyer should have asked the second respondent who the stolen funds should be refunded to since all the others didn't come forward to claim the illicit money.Or he wants to collect "everybody's share" of the loot?
Awon ole grin

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Ermacc: 8:47am On Jan 25, 2017
will this deziani saga ever be over?
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by princeakins(m): 8:47am On Jan 25, 2017
And some will still argue this so called amount is legitimately earned.

God come to our rescue and help us in Africa. cry

4 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by AlexCk: 8:48am On Jan 25, 2017
Choi,

Only one person tidy 9.08billion naira, not even million,

*faints*

5 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by petrov10: 8:49am On Jan 25, 2017
But they don't have a good case

Allison is smarter that our mumu efcc

1 Like

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Atiku2019: 8:50am On Jan 25, 2017
bettercreature:
And this man is here loading another thief

And your Buhari cleared his houseboy of the 270 million Naira scam to clear Grasses. money that can empower all APC e-warriors into productive ventures grin grin

1 Like

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by RentALodge: 8:50am On Jan 25, 2017
But this was what she said about the said funds:

"I wish to state that I cannot forfeit what was never mine. I do not know the basis on which the EFCC have chosen to say that I am the owner of these funds as no evidence was provided to me before the order was obtained and they have not in fact served me with the order or, any evidence since they obtained it."

I think the best thing is to compare and verify what this woman has stated. She also challenged EFCC to produce evidence. I expected EFCC to come up with some facts/evidence, and not just tell her to come home. If EFCC has enough evidence, they can file for an extradition order to bring her to Nigeria or possibly prosecute her in UK just like the case of Ibori.

I am tired of reading every time on the pages of newspaper that they discovered so so so amount or house belonging to so so so and so, where as the DSS has submitted report against EFCC chairman, yet he has not been replaced. Report shows that the Secretary to the government of the Federation used over 250 million to clear land for the IDP yet no action against him. The issue of Burutai house in Dubai, still no action. A whistle blower has submitted evidence of corruption against 2 Hausa men in the ministry of foreign affairs, only for them to sack the man.

Please dont tell us what you discovered. Get all the facts/evidence and prosecute them. There should be no sacred cow. And let all the recovered loots be used for the development of the country, it should not be diverted by different set of people. We heard that billions of naira has been recovered, yet they failed to named the looters and how much recovered from them. we do not see the impact or what the recovered loots is used for, and we are still talking of borrowing money.

4 Likes

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by sakalisis(m): 8:50am On Jan 25, 2017
Ok
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Businessideas: 8:51am On Jan 25, 2017
princeakins:
And some will still argue this so called amount is legitimately earned.

God come to our rescue and help us in Africa. cry
Quit the lamentation.You didnt read the message and you started typing.This lamentations and whining by you youths should stop.This is not a case of any illicitly rich getting richer.As a matter of fact, this is a great and cheering news.If you steal to be rich,one day you will be disgraced and returned to penury
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Luckylife(m): 8:53am On Jan 25, 2017
Ok
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by chimdi101: 8:54am On Jan 25, 2017
Judah95:
Today is my Birthday. Please show some love by hitting 'Like 'button
Nothing for you!

1 Like

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by omokab: 8:55am On Jan 25, 2017
Diazini the finest thief ever leaveth. She can still anything valuable and non valuable under a sec
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by shaddoww: 8:56am On Jan 25, 2017
The woman should be given an award oooo. OON [ole of Nigeria]
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by sleeknick: 8:57am On Jan 25, 2017
I just pity this country. I think it's really time for revolution. The people against the government. Make we kukuma destroy the country start over again. It's too much sef. Every time from frying pan to fire. Weda it's apc or pdp i don't give a hoot. I don't even think there is any political divide in this country. They are all one body acting a script. These same people who bash each other have their secret place of meeting where they strategize for their next move. It's time for we as a people in unity to fight this government and oust all of them. Very incompetent set of people in leadership positions. I watched a movie yesterday "Snowden" in that movie it wasn't even the fact that America is spying on the whole world that got my attention. It's the level of intelligence these people have. I was baffled. As it is, america is already in the future while Africa is still trying to copy their past. 
I get sick to my stomach when i see how our youths who are supposed to be the leaders of tomorrow let themselves to be used as pawns by these politicians for their selfish gains. 
It is time to take OUR country back! 
It's not Apc or PDP who owns the country. It's you and i. Trust me. Even if leadership changes hands it's still going to continue like this or even worst. The political system needs to be purged. 
Lets start making the noise! 

REVOLUTION!!! 
I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!!! 
Lets kick off this trend. 
I'm ready to give my life for this course i swear! 
#GIVEMEMYCOUNTRY

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by czaratwork: 8:57am On Jan 25, 2017
When will they seek permanent forfeiture of the houses in dubai
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by KINGwax007(m): 8:58am On Jan 25, 2017
Atiku2019:

And your Buhari cleared his houseboy of the 270 million Naira scam to clear Grasses. money that can empower all APC e-warriors into productive ventures grin grin
pls, dnt let's start taking abt atiku and corruption here, abeg grin
Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by OlaMiki: 9:04am On Jan 25, 2017
the world most stupid mumu comment located below
petrov10:
But they don't have a good case

Allison is smarter that our mumu efcc

1 Like

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by IgweBUIKE1(m): 9:05am On Jan 25, 2017
story story... they just like mentioning figures likes say na paper

1 Like

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by cuminside: 9:09am On Jan 25, 2017
metroblogger:
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to order the forfeiture of N9.billion allegedly laundered for former Minister of Petroleum Resources Diezani Allison-Madueke.

The former minister who is currently in London in a recent statement that she did not steal any funds belonging to the government.
- Advertisement -

Justice Muslim Hassan had on January 6 ordered the forfeiture of N23,446,300,000 and $5milion (about N1.5billion) said to be stashed in banks.

Rotimi Oyedepo, EFCC counsel urged the court on Tuesday to order the permanent forfeiture of the money to the Federal Government.

Oyedepo said the Advance Fee Fraud and other Related Offences Act makes a property that is reasonably suspected by EFCC to be proceeds of unlawful act forfeitable to the Federal Government.

“Can it be said that from the facts and circumstances of this case, that the N9,080,000,000.00, which is the naira equivalent of $40million cannot be reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activity?” Oyedepo asked.

Charles Adeogun, lawyer to Executive Director of First Bank Plc, Dauda Lawal, asked the court to order a refund, stating that the funds were siezed by the EFCC through coercion.

Adeogun argued that his client admitted having received $25 million on Mrs. Alison-Madueke’s behalf, but was coerced by the commission to further admit receiving $65 million.

Oyedepo however said there was a conspiration between Adeogun and some NNPC officials to launder the money.

“My lord, paragraph 4 of our reply affidavit shows a meeting of the minds of one Gbenga Komolafe, former Group Managing Director, Crude Oil Marketing Division of NNPC, Prince Haruna Momoh, former Group Managing Director, Petroleum Product Marketing company, Umar Farouk Ahmed, and Group Managing Director, Nigerian Product Marketing Company, Stanley Lawson, Babajide Sonoiki and the second respondent, Executive Director of First Bank of Nigeria.

“The evidence shows their agreement to retain and launder funds on behalf of the former Petroleum Minister Diezanni Alison-Madueke.

“It’ll amount to contesting the obvious to argue that the second respondent did not have knowledge of the source of the money,” Oyedepo said.

The lawyer denied that EFCC detained Lawal without a court order, adding that his statement was lawfully and voluntarily obtained.

He said Lawal admitted that the $40million was in his possession.

Oyedepo added: “I submit that the proper order your Lordship should make is the final forfeiture of the N9.08billion to the Federal Government being sum found in proceed of unlawful activity.

“I urge my Lord to hold that the second respondent (Lawal) has not shown good cause why the said sum should not be forfeited. The funds were recovered from him. The funds we’re seeking to attach is in possession of the second respondent.

“Having advertised to the whole world pursuant to the order of my lord and no one else came to claim the money except the second respondent, it’ll be appropriate to order the forfeiture of the N9.08billion.

“For the other respondents, in view of their failure to react to the case, they are deemed to have admitted the facts contained in our application.

“Since no one has shown cause in relation to N23,446,300,000 and the sum of $5milion, I, therefore, urge your lordship to order the forfeiture of the sums to the Federal Government finally.”

Justice Hassan adjourned until February 16 for judgment.

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/01/efcc-seeks-permanent-forfeiture-of.html

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

Leave Diezani alone please, if you are looking for those to prosecute, you know where to find them, kindly allow this woman some rest

1 Like

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by jomoh: 9:15am On Jan 25, 2017
verygudbadguy:
I thought Diezani denied ownership of that money. Why are we still referring to it as her money when she said it's not hers.

Whoever owns that money, let it be forfeited to the govt's coffers. I pray it doesn't get re-looted by some other looting experts...

Qmerit:

She said she's not the owner of the money logically the other day so which one should be given to her?
One Can't Forfeit What She Never Own---Diezani

It is one thing to deny over the media with mouth and no evidence. It is another thing to deny in the court of law with irrefutable evidences staring you in the face.

EFCC is still gathering evidences and recovering the monies which is most important. By the time they're through and there are no monies to recover, they can now go after the kingpin.

The denial of the woman is an act of throwing those she used to launder money under the bus. She's gaining her "media innocence" but when the heat is turned on her accomplices, they will be the one to Snitch on her by testifying against her for a plea bargain. Remember that Obanikoro too was denying until he was arraigned in court with evidences staring him in his face. He later accepted to testify against Fayose.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Seeks Permanent Forfeiture Of Diezani’s N9.08bn by Qmerit(m): 9:19am On Jan 25, 2017
jomoh:

It is one thing to deny over the media with mouth and no evidence. It is another thing to deny in the court of law with irrefutable evidences staring you in the face.

EFCC is still gathering evidences and recovering the monies which is most important. By the time they're through and there are no monies to recover, they can now go after the kingpin.

The denial of the woman is an act of throwing those she used to launder money under the bus. She's gaining her "media innocence" but when the heat is turned on her accomplices, they will be the one to Snitch on her by testifying against her for a plea bargain. Remember that Obanikoro too was denying until he was arraigned in court with evidences staring him in his face. He later accepted to testify against Fayose.

Sure

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Top 10 Most Powerful Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Bandits Release 10 Kaduna Baptist School Students / HAPPENING NOW!!! Biafrexit: All Roads Lead To Umuahia (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.