Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,834 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD (15063 Views)

FG Approves 22 Firms To Takeover Meter Distribution From Discos (names) / Fashola To Discos: Nobody Forced You To Buy Power Assets / Discos Reject 10,200 Megawatts In 1 Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Drdreyy: 9:26pm On Jan 25, 2017
anyaekekehinde:

The dude is right, load used here is " Load current" And it's frequently used term within the power sector

And what do you understand by the term "load current"?

Are we not still talking about the electricity/power consumption of the load?
Load current is the current demand of the load. we lay more emphasis on the current because of I^2R losses along the transmission lines.

The question the first dude asked was straight forward and I answered it unambiguously. I don't know why you guys are just disturbing yourselfs
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Drdreyy: 9:37pm On Jan 25, 2017
agabusta:

It is you that is not serious. So what is the contextual meaning of the load simply being referred to in the writeup?

You think contextual meanings must always fall within the limit of its technical meaning?

Can you reject what has already been consumed? Assuming you even put this your last statement before the technical explanation you gave earlier, you would have educated a layman better.

The load been referred to in simple terms is the supplied electricity

That last sentence is wrong. No Electrical Engineering graduate will accept that.

You can continue to argue blindly, i don't have time to drag words with you.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Olushauneddy(m): 10:21pm On Jan 25, 2017
For how long will Nigerians continue sleeping in total blackout every night?...how many of these so-called God forsaken politicians from the newest counsellor to Buhari sleep in heat at night?...
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by akigbemaru: 12:24am On Jan 26, 2017
Need technical KNOW how!
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Reference(m): 6:56am On Jan 26, 2017
akinsuraj:
Shai! Tunder wey go fire this people called disco will come from hell! I suwer.imaging me paying for NEPA I never use

Ha. Thunder upon high frequency. Na die be dat oh.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Reference(m): 7:09am On Jan 26, 2017
TheFreeOne:
Availability of prepaid meters will go a long way in solving some of these issues surrounding the power sector.

Discos complains of being owed large sums of money by consumers hence their inability to pay for electricity generated but which reasonable Nigerians will be willing to pay for fraudulent estimated billings.

Until the government stop placing the cart before the horse to ensure provision of prepaid meters to everyone a lot of people won't pay for light cos the economy is in bad shape and they've had enough of scams from the government/Discos.

Then they won't have light as it is now, period. If we all decide not to buy recharge cards because call and data rates are unreasonable viy service quality (which it is) the Teleco's will shortly collapse and everyone loses. Business is all about meeting in the centre not cart before horse lingo. And remember power privatisation is still in its infancy coming from a poor policy, investment and direction background characteristic of decades old military centrist rule. We should shun that mentality of 'we' or nothing. Business succeeds by cooperation and solidarity.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Reference(m): 7:21am On Jan 26, 2017
fyneguy:
The problem is with the DISCOS.

They are not taking electricity from the Transmission Company because of revenue leakages, thereby leaving them with huge debts as they can not store supplied power.

The DISCOS must be able to account for atleast 95% of power supplied to them. However, because of inadequate supply of meters, especially smart meters, they lose revenues. Many consumers do not pay for electricity, whereas the GENCOS will bill them for bulk supply.

Solution:

Discos do not have enough funds to buy smart meters for all customers. They should be compelled to bring new investors on board or outsource metering to various firms with varied capacities, for shared revenue.

Until revenue leakages are addressed, stable power supply is a tall order in Nigeria!

Simple.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by athorello(m): 7:23am On Jan 26, 2017
Good... These explanations doesn't sound like jargon to me cos I've had an I.T in a power generating plant. Our power problems are multifaceted. TCN don't even have the capacity to transmit if all the plants are operating in full capacity (not even 100%). Discos have problems distributing and marketing. Most areas under their grids don't pay electricity bills, most big men especially politicians don't pay their bills and they don't get disconnected. Most rural areas are hostile cos they hardly get the light and are incessantly billed. The Discos can't afford to give them power because most don't have electricity meters or even registered connections so it's a tug war. You won't buy what you can't sell. The whole system needs to be turned up.

N/B
That oga wey say electricity can't be stored, which school im go Lol. I wonder how they run their emergency and back up system. Ok... What they should be looking out is large scale storage to avoid waste. I'm only a physicist, Power systems engineers to ti take over.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Reference(m): 7:25am On Jan 26, 2017
Abeos:
I work in the control room of ikeja west TCN and within the time I've been there, I can say what the guy said is actually not true. They experience more dropping of frequency

The contributory effect of Kainji and Shiroro to Ikeja will be at best negligible. You are more in the shadow of Egbin and Omotosho so he might be right on the operational aspect of things.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by 7lives: 7:42am On Jan 26, 2017
ichidodo:
They should try a lower frequency and maybe distort the amplitude a bit, that can allow easier load collection and distribution...Discos won't take what is potentially hazardous to them and their customers...

Forget turenci, the wicked retailers no wan take stocks because dem no wan pay, but the wicked retailers want to continuously collect payment from the consumers through crazy bills even without giving them light.
I bless God for my card meter, no service no pay.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Reference(m): 8:02am On Jan 26, 2017
chyket:
If Nigeria does not amend the constitution and remove power from exclusive list of Federal govt,we will never have improved electricity!!!.The situation where you generate electricity from hydro,solar etc and you still end up passing it on to federal govt via Transition company of Nigeria is faulty.Company should be allowed to generate and transmit electricity and then pay taxes to federal govt.

You know we debated this when power was being privatised and I warned that a single transmission company especially one controlled by the government was inimical to development.

Explaining the scenario. When Nitel collapsed and GSM came, what we saw was an initial roll out in MAJOR CITIES to HIGH NETWORTH CUSTOMERS at HIGH COST. This rapid income generation for the telecos enabled the funding of less profitable, low volume areas some of which did not get service up to 5 years after. Meaning it was a joke to expect private power sector owners to rollout service to everyone simultaneously. Even General Electric does not have that kind of resources.

But alas the politics (the bane of Nigeria) held a gun to the head of the former government with the National Assembly saying in effect that it will only permit privatisation if all peoples will be served simultaneously as guaranteed by a government controlled Transysco. So government is in effect dictating how investment and market forces are deployed and are rigging business in favour of those unable and unwilling to pay as equals on the customer queue. The spreading thin of investment is why progress is slow as opposed to a capitalist model where the 'rich' is served first and the profits used to subsidize the poor. This model presents an image of success/profits/high turnover and hides losses which banks readily fall for and it stimulates credit unlike the current situation where discos accounts are in the red. No one finances failure.

Then you have the poor power generation mix which puts 80% of capacity in the Niger Delta which should benefit significantly from output and investment but experiences the same power challenges as Bornu, Taraba and other far flung, economically disadvantaged places.

Those places were last on the GSM queue and should have been last on the electricity queue but politics has mixed with business and the engine of economic development is stuttering.

1 Like

Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Reference(m): 8:17am On Jan 26, 2017
If I owned one of the DISCOS my investment will naturally gravitate to customers who can and who will pay. It is not right or reasonable to attempt to serve everybody at any cost. It took several years to build the GSM network. Today not everyone has phones while some have a dozen. Why must we think everyone must be connected at the expense of quality.
Re: Discos Rejecting Load – Kanji MD by Qyubee(m): 10:04am On Jan 26, 2017
ALAYORMII:
If discos are rejecting load then they should try biscos

grin grin grin
Or Ciscos grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times / Atedo Peterside: Tinubu Was Wrong To Say The 2023 Election Is The Best ever / Lagos Commissioner Quits To Join First-Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.