Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:25 AM

What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? (22028 Views)

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? / Olden Days Lies Elders Told Us -- Share Here / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 25, 2017
A whole lot of things are terribly wrong with the African mentality. Na now you just dey know?

6 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:
"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Do you dare tell an elderly man or woman "How are you?" without getting this evil look and opened case in the community?

I was having this discussion with a friend and we started taking about the above topic then he told me;

Just imagine you saw a kid and call his name and the next comment he made was " Hey brother, how are you?" grin

Well, e sound somehow sha...grin.

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just too respect conscious?
If you greet before asking how are you, they usually don't mind. For example "Good afternoon daddy, how are you today?"
I have however come to realize that problems with the 'how are you?' thing is an african one just like calling your elder siblings by name without the customary 'brother this or sister that'.

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by phemocheee(m): 9:03pm On Jan 25, 2017
Just put 'Sir' behind the statement and you should be good to go.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by RoyalBlak007: 9:03pm On Jan 25, 2017
Depends on Culture
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by bigDickson(m): 9:04pm On Jan 25, 2017
I DID IT ON CHRISTMAS DAY....AND TILL DIS DAY AM ON A PROBATION IN MY VILLAGE.... HAD TO APOLOGISE TO ALL MY ELDERS... IN BOTH CASH AND KIND... lipsrsealed
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 25, 2017
cry[quote author=xynerise post=53127763]"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Do you dare tell an elderly man or woman "How are you?" without getting this evil look and opened case in the community?

I was having this discussion with a friend and we started taking about the above topic then he told me;

Just imagine you saw a kid and call his name and the next comment he made was " Hey brother, how are you?" grin

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just
If you greet before asking how are you, they usually don't mind. For example "Good afternoon daddy, how are you today?"
I have however come to realize that problems with the 'how are you?' thing is an african one just like calling your elder siblings by name without the customary 'brother this or sister that'./quote]
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by VictorRomanov: 9:05pm On Jan 25, 2017
we, Nigerians, are too petty. We see things where there is nothing to be seen

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by faaz24: 9:06pm On Jan 25, 2017
adonbilivit:
must we be stereotypical?
No, but we must not be copycats as well

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Boyooosa(m): 9:06pm On Jan 25, 2017
I thought as much. @op please can I go now? Pleeeeeease....
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Boyooosa(m): 9:08pm On Jan 25, 2017
Baawaa:
How are you in Yoruba means"bawo ni",so in Yoruba land you can't say "bawo ni" to your father or mother and your elders
Naxo! Case dismissed!
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 25, 2017
In this part of the world it seems to be a question for subordinates.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by shakes101(m): 9:09pm On Jan 25, 2017
In fact these is coinccidence, i just spoke to my young sister about it these evening, telling u elder how are u sounds some how,is like ur taming ur elder one, to me i donsnt show respect,let the elderly one do the "how are u".

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by MrHighSea: 9:11pm On Jan 25, 2017
Depends if the person is an African citizen or WORLD CITIZEN.
Ask some of my swaggalicious elders dat n WATSUP atimes.
Dad n im gang will feel some how sha.
OP, DT'S HOW I WAS TAUGHT
Elder: how r u
Me: I'm fine and u?
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by spencekat(m): 9:15pm On Jan 25, 2017
shakes101:
In fact these is coinccidence, i just spoke to my young sister about it these evening, telling u elder how are u sounds some how,is like ur taming ur elder one, to me i donsnt show respect,let the elderly one do the "how are u".
I also spoke about it with a girl in the early hours of today.This is Nigeria.This is Africa,it does not show respect.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by boborosky(m): 9:16pm On Jan 25, 2017
As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. However, somethings must be added. One of the things is, your attitude. You must be very polite and let the essence of saying that be truly clear. Secondly, I add, Ma or Sir. I do so in a respectable manner that clearly shows that I care about you and therefore want to know how you are doing. e.g Good Morning Ma, (response - good morning), How are you (doing) Ma? (fine my son).
Another example is come on (C'mon). This phrase has been bastardized far too much.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 25, 2017
presskid:
The child who throws out his hand to shake an elderly man will receive a slap
But don't you think there's something about it that just doesn't make sense?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Daviestunech(m): 9:18pm On Jan 25, 2017
U think here Na US abi undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by enemmo(f): 9:18pm On Jan 25, 2017
I got into trouble a lot doing this.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by scachy(m): 9:21pm On Jan 25, 2017
It's a NIGERIAN FACTOR and it should be do away with.how are u is like a courtesy In a civilized world.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Khrisfame(m): 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
Get The Latest Movies and Tvseries @
http://www.wapextra.com.ng
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by emerged01(m): 9:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
Op,you can simply say,"how are you ma or sir? There's nothing disrespectful about the statement.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by isarumah(m): 9:28pm On Jan 25, 2017
sometime in 2001, we were listening to live radio broadcast, where ex-president Obasanjo was responding to the audience via telephone. A man called, inroduced him self as Pastor so so so, the anchor told him "go ahead pastor, the president is listening to you". Pastor went ahead and said "how are you, sir". Obasanjo responded this way "come, can you tell your god how are you?" The anchor took over and advice callers to be respectful.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by norriswood(m): 9:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
you can tell an elderly man or woman How are u in a polite way.. HOW ARE YOU SIR or MA?
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by platinumphotos: 9:38pm On Jan 25, 2017
Everything is wrong with it
[/quote]
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by figure007(m): 9:38pm On Jan 25, 2017
I ask my mum bawoni whenever she calls and she replies mowapa...honestly...it depends on understanding .... It doesn't mean you disrespect ...but you. Shouldn't so it to the person you don't have intimacy with ...
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by JuneOctober(f): 9:38pm On Jan 25, 2017
Abeg just add the Sir or ma as a prefix or suffix to avoid trouble. Before their eyes starts wandering all over you with a frown when next they see you. In their mind, "this child wasn't trained well" cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by taofeek11(m): 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2017
All dis respect with give to our elders, end up with nothing, they re d one who re d cause of the problem of our country. To my own point of view, d more u respect them d more they oppress u with hardship with no reason.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Baawaa(m): 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:

Why?
Said!
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by ThinkSmarter: 9:43pm On Jan 25, 2017
Hausa students sabi ask their teachers how are you.
I do try to shut them up, but it seems they can't help it, I only smile and understood that they cared, that's y they do ask, and to them itz norma; but to be frank itz not normal for a younger person to ask his/her elder hoe re u.
If u hv served or currently serving in the North, u can relate to that
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Zico5(m): 9:44pm On Jan 25, 2017
adonbilivit:
nothing is wrong with it. I can decide to wake up in the morning and not say good morning to my dad and instead say "Dad, how are you this morning?". must we be stereotypical?
Them don come again Igbo. No sense of regards at all.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by AlwaysUltraPad: 9:45pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:
"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just too respect conscious?

No just try am.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by chukzyfcbb: 9:46pm On Jan 25, 2017
Its not just towards elders alone but also among youths.
I remember sometime in the university, I bumped into an old time lodgemate.
he: Guy how far naa, long time.
me: I dey o, how are you now?

he didn't give me an awkward look when I said how are you now rather he went into his room and told his guys that can you imagine this guy told him how are you like he were some kid or something although it was said jokingly but it's to show that its beyond elders

guys I know don't like being greeted with such sentence HOW ARE You, the pidgin version HOW YOU DEY is better,lool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love / How Do I Instill Boldness And Confidence In My Daughters? / Ex Husband Got The Divorce Letter And He Suddenly Wants Reconciliation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.