Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? (31444 Views)

What Is It With African/black Parents And Emotional Blackmail? / Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 19, 2020
Good morning guys

What do you think is wrong about the Nigerian/African style of parenting?

To me, I think Nigerian/African parenting is the best but African parents think they are always right even when they falsely accuse you which I don't think is right.

What else do you guys think? Let's discuss.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 11:50am On May 19, 2020
Child Abuse and over sabi

147 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Lionessza6(f): 12:06pm On May 19, 2020
1.I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of two healthy parents living separately.

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they too can be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.

294 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 19, 2020
cclalasticlala
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Ejenavi18(f): 12:16pm On May 19, 2020
Some parents think they're are always right not knowing things have evolved and times are changed now.

In some situations a child might make a better judgement of things than the parents. But with our African mentality, parents can never be wrong!

138 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by ukaface(f): 12:18pm On May 19, 2020
African parents can never go wrong. They know it all,you can't correct them, because such would be termed disrespectful.

91 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Snaagg(m): 12:20pm On May 19, 2020
Lionessza6:
1 .I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of healthy parents leaving apart .

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they can too be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.

So in other words, women themselves are the instigators and gatekeepers of the same misogyny they cry & complain about??

Interesting cheesy

171 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Lionessza6(f): 12:24pm On May 19, 2020
Snaagg:

So in other words, women themselves are the instigators and gatekeepers of the same misogyny they cry & complain about??

Interesting cheesy

LMFAO, true. It's indoctrination, a cycle of negativity that only takes one generation to fix in the family . It's like human trafficking, you find out that some of the people that were once victims tend to end- up being traffickers themselves.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 19, 2020
Ejenavi18:
Some parents think they're are always right not knowing things have evolved and times are changed now.

In some situations a child might make a better judgement of things than the parents. But with our African mentality, parents can never be wrong!
exactly.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by vastolord4(m): 12:30pm On May 19, 2020
It also depends on the parents upbringing. My dad was brought up by his uncle who lived in the USA so his thinking differs a bit from the typical African parent. Just imagine the mixture of the African and western upbringing on my dad. He was strictly strict but also saw things from my point of view after scolding me though.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Amanee(f): 12:49pm On May 19, 2020
Everything abeg

From the forceful religion to the heavy discipline to maiming of dreams to the ignorance...

I keep praying that I never raise my child the way I was raised

93 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 19, 2020
Snaagg:

Interesting cheesy

I’ve said it before that patriarchy and misogyny still thrives today because women are directly and indirectly encouraging/supporting it.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by crackland: 12:54pm On May 19, 2020
Una own children go still complain about una own style of parenting.

Just wait small... cheesy

121 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by bukatyne(f): 12:56pm On May 19, 2020
Lionessza6:

LMFAO, true. It's indoctrination, a cycle of negativity that only takes one generation to fix in the family . It's like human trafficking, you find out that some of the people that were victims once tend to end- up being traffickers themselves.

Toor cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by bukatyne(f): 12:57pm On May 19, 2020
vastolord4:
It also depends on the parents upbringing. My dad was brought up by his uncle who lived in the USA so his thinking differs a bit from the typical African parent. Just imagine the mixture of the African and western upbringing on my dad. He was strictly strict but also saw things from my point of view after scolding me though.

The Africanness can't die, can only be watered down grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by bukatyne(f): 12:59pm On May 19, 2020
crackland:
Una own children go still complain about una own style of parenting.

Just wait small... cheesy

As in!

You think 'I am not going to do this, I will be more patient, more woke' and gbam! you are doing it. grin

NL will still be alive. cheesy

I enjoyed my mom's parenting style with very minor tweaks though. cheesy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by bukatyne(f): 1:03pm On May 19, 2020
Lionessza6:
1.I think a lot African parents ( mothers in particular), tend to treat their sons as mini-kings who can do no wrong in their eyes. This is where the culture of Male entitlement starts from; the upbringing. The boys grow up with a sense of superiority that somehow absolves them of certain responsibilities.

2. Staying in toxic relationships for the children. In many cases,the children end-up worse off psychologically ,than kids coming out of healthy parents leaving apart .

3. The "if Kevin can do it ,you can do it too ".mentality. you have a lot of parents who see the neighbour's kid doing well selling bread ,& they start pushing their own children towards that trade or career without assisting them in what they are really good at so that they too can be a shining example in their own right. You see the results of this in many African markets ,everyone sells the samethings ,hardly will you find people who produce the products or selling something that is not readily available.

@ bold:

I believe this is very true and I think the advise 'stay for your kids' in a toxic situation is demonic. The danger with leaving apart is that the children might be willing to walk out in amendable situations and/or the kids not knowing how to function properly in a marriage because no examples and they are not willing to learn.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Lionessza6(f): 3:54pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:

@ bold:

I believe this is very true and I think the advise 'stay for your kids' in a toxic situation is demonic. The danger with leaving apart is that the children might be willing to walk out in amendable situations and/or the kids not knowing how to function properly in a marriage because no examples and they are not willing to learn.

Both situations are not desirable ; single parenthood & enduring a toxic relationship for the kids. They both come with their own risks & heartbreaks ,but I would still choose my own happiness and peace of mind over any family structure that makes me feel like a hostage. A happy mother is a caring wink. Both of you will have added responsibilities of taking care of your new homes & also looking after the emotional & financial health of the kids as individuals. Now ,what each of you chooses to teach the kid will play a big role in how they will see the world as adults.

7 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by bukatyne(f): 3:56pm On May 19, 2020
Lionessza6:

Both situations are not desirable ; single parenthood & enduring a toxic relationship for the kids. They both come with their own risks & heartbreaks ,but I would still choose my own happiness and peace of mind over any family structure that makes me feel like a hostage. A happy mother is a caring wink. Both of you will have added responsibilities of taking care of your new homes & also looking after the emotional & financial health of the kids as individuals. Now ,what each of you chooses to teach the kid will play a big role in how they will see the world as adults.

It takes a lot for a woman single due to divorce to that happy, rounded mother her children needs.

Besides, you can't control what your husband decides to teach the child. For instance, an adulterous husband or abusive one can pass that trait to the children.

I would rather people look well well before getting married.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Lionessza6(f): 4:01pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:

It takes a lot for a woman single due to divorce to that happy, rounded mother her children needs.

Ofvourse it will be difficult at 1st,but having the courage to get the divorce is a sign that she is ready for the challenges ahead. & like I said it wont be easy,especially if the relationship was extremely abusive & it went on for years.
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Lionessza6(f): 6:07pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:

Besides, you can't control what your husband decides to teach the child. For instance, an adulterous husband or abusive one can pass that trait to the children.

I would rather people look well well before getting married.

I see you edited the post.

@ the bolded ...I totally I agree with you.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 19, 2020
lalasticlala abeg na!
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Hathor5(f): 6:41pm On May 19, 2020
Too quick to punish and often too harshly. Makes children lose trust in them.

13 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by crackland: 6:45pm On May 19, 2020
bukatyne:

As in!

You think 'I am not going to do this, I will be more patient, more woke' and gbam! you are doing it. grin

NL will still be alive. cheesy

I enjoyed my mom's parenting style with very minor tweaks though. cheesy
You know.. grin

The thing is, unless you want to be a 'yes son', 'okay son', 'whatever you want son' kind of parent, there'll always be something you do that will cause a child to think you're not doing it right.

18 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by babyfaceafrica: 7:14pm On May 19, 2020
Has its advantages and disadvantages......
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Galactico4ever(m): 7:24pm On May 19, 2020
Using my parents as case study,I'll say missing a lot of PTD meetings&visiting days,too much pressure to make it in life and always comparing you with your mates who are financially doing better than you + forcing you to get married at a certain age.

11 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Help4anthony: 9:51pm On May 19, 2020
Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by Kobicove(m): 9:52pm On May 19, 2020
I think it's wrong to force kids to be overly religious

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by joshjc(m): 9:52pm On May 19, 2020
I don't have anything to say about it,all I have to say is 2020 is really a strange year, Ashley young and Kanye have grown hair

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? by sanemind2(m): 9:52pm On May 19, 2020
So many things oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

55-Yr-Old Woman Delivers Twin Baby Boys After Years Of Barrenness- Pics / List Of Clothing Materials Grooms Present To Brides In The North / Website To Buy Wedding Engagement Rings: Family Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.