Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,194 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt (20899 Views)

Oshiomhole Threatens To Suspend Ngige: If Presidency Condones Disrespect.. / Ijaw Youths Urge Oil Giant "SHELL" Not To Move HQ From Of Niger Delta / Relocation Of Fertilizer Plant Sparks Protests In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by HopeAtHand: 10:23am On Jan 27, 2017
Laid2001:
Even Ben Bruce has shutdown his Silverbird cinema in PH.! Due to same reason of unfavourable environment!.

Asari Dokubo has no investment in ND. Many of the NDeltans have their investments outside the region and yet they will be making noise that others are relocating.

Why wont shell relocate when there is no security of life and properties.!!

AMCON took over Mr. Bruce cinema in PH over unsettled debts. Say what you know so you dont look stupid.

The federal govt (being the ones in control of the police, military and other security agencies) should be held responsible if they cannot maintain order and security in Rivers being handed that mabdate by the constitution of the country. If they also cannot provide jobs for the jobless masses which inturn leads to crime, then they are very irresponsible and ought not to be in power in any instance.

Free yourself of subjective reasoning so you can appreciate the wider causes of societal ills.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by babaarewa(m): 10:29am On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:
Why won't they relocate? Your kidnap their employees, bomb their infrastructures despite the social and community development programmes. What else do you want? You sabotage their pipelines. Forcados is down; they repaired it, it didn't last one week, these fools bombed it again. Oil companies are not breaking even... The IOCs are just bearing the losses due to strong financial support from their parent company. While some of the indigenous oil companies have packed up, some have laid off staff and some are unable to export their crude because they evacuate through just one route.

Only those who are not in the industry would think the companies just drill and produe oil without giving back to the society. That's a big lie! They have massive community development projects they embark upon..but like the typical greedy Nigerians that they are, they prefer cash gift to development. And when they get the money, they lavish it on women and ogogoro and then come back for more. The oil companies are not fools.
You want them to recruit you by force when they already have a sizable number of you working for them already. The current business climate doesn't favor bringing in more people but una no wan hear..."they must just recruit us anyhow he go be"
E&P business is not for children. Investments are massive and stakes are high...No company will put you on the rig to because you're an indigene and you don't have the requisite qualifications and skills. Cos one mistake from while on the rig will kill others, destroy the massive investment of the company and destroy company's reputation. Then the company will pay fines and litigation fees. these yoots don'treason well at all.

Bunch of misfits who think the oil companies owe them for discovering oil at their backyards. They owe you nothing. You were not there when they pump in a lot of money to explore for the crude..daily rig rate is around 1 million dollars and yet some jobless yoots think the oil companies should lick their ass... nonsense.
Good write up. Thanks for enlightening us.

7 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 27, 2017
greenpasture:

If I could understand what you are trying to say I would respond. We are dealing with shell and the ND specifically PH. Peace and development is not in the hands of Shell, it is in the hands of th Governors and chiefs who steal the money and the young people that blow up pipelines. If a person ignores the rat he has just killed, in days neighbours will be pointing to his house
we seem to be on the same page. My point is simply. Shell ha every right to re locate to whereever they deem fit.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Laid2001: 10:35am On Jan 27, 2017
Afterall Shell actually started in Owerri.

Shell started its exploration in Owerry and they use to have their headoffice there in early days of the company (in the 40ties)!!

ImoRiver:

Relocating to Owerri is not bad as it's safer and still proximal to Port Harcourt and Niger Delta.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 10:35am On Jan 27, 2017
Benita27:
When they move their headquarters to the west(Lagos State) which i'm sure is their next hub, they shouldn't come drill oil in Rivers State.

They have no well in Rivers State anymore. They have divested all their land assets.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by NaMeAboki: 10:36am On Jan 27, 2017
AZeD1:
Shell has been divesting their investments in Nigeria for a while now. I'm pretty sure the goal is to manage only offshore sites.

Let them come to the north; Borno, Benue, Sokoto & Niger welcoming them with both arms.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Laid2001: 10:39am On Jan 27, 2017
So if that is the case for the entire country, how come companies are more attuned to some city than yours!.

This issue is not a nationwide issue, if you don't even admit your problem how can you get a solution!

Lagosian, or Owerri people will not go and shut down office because their people are not qualified to work in any company. They will not focus on harassing IOCs and be bombing up and down!

HopeAtHand:

AMCON took over Mr. Bruce cinema in PH over unsettled debts. Say what you know so you dont look stupid.

The federal govt (being the ones in control of the police, military and other security agencies) should be held responsible if they cannot maintain order and security in Rivers being handed that mabdate by the constitution of the country. If they also cannot provide jobs for the jobless masses which inturn leads to crime, then they are very irresponsible and ought not to be in power in any instance.

Free yourself of subjective reasoning so you can appreciate the wider causes of societal ills.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 10:41am On Jan 27, 2017
AZeD1:
Shell has been divesting their investments in Nigeria for a while now. I'm pretty sure the goal is to manage only offshore sites.

It is not even speculation, It is the fact. Shell has sold all her land assets and has no entanglement to any host community anymore

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 10:42am On Jan 27, 2017
smogup:
If they relocate out of PH then they should forget about the oil.

What Oil? Shell has no well in PH anymore. You people don't get it. They had this plan well laid out 5-6yrs ago

6 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by LasGidiOwner: 10:47am On Jan 27, 2017
Abagworo, Owerri is not safe as militants and armed robbers are operating there even more than PH. PH and Uyo are ideal places if we are talking about siting it in the Niger Delta.

ImoRiver:

Relocating to Owerri is not bad as it's safer and still proximal to Port Harcourt and Niger Delta.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by LasGidiOwner: 10:49am On Jan 27, 2017
DozieInc:
cheesy

It is not a laughing matter, as a major stakeholder in Rivers state, we shall resist any attempt to relocate Shell from PH. PH is secured right now. The talks of relocating it out of PH is more political than economical..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Ever8054: 10:51am On Jan 27, 2017
slawomir:

I pity you. you know nothing child. light travels faster than sound that is why some people appear smart until you hear them speak.
you are not intelligent my dear and please try to seek for knowledge and always put on your intellectual cap when next you make judgments.
your mistake is this... if you disagree with his knowledge,why not back it up with valuable point sir?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by DozieInc(m): 10:54am On Jan 27, 2017
LasGidiOwner:

It is not a laughing matter, as a major stakeholder in Rivers state, we shall resist any attempt to relocate Shell from PH. PH is secured right now. The talks of relocating it out of PH is more political than economical..
True, they want to steal the wealth and employment opportunities of Rivers people, but they have failed already.

It's time time for all the Oil companies to relocate HQ to the Niger Delta.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by lorhema(f): 10:54am On Jan 27, 2017
No. This plan to move offshore is old- over 15 years ago, my cousin who was a bigshot in Shell told me that they had decided on this plan because of the issues with onshore drilling.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Rekit: 10:55am On Jan 27, 2017
You acuse him of not intelligent but he has given very useful insight as an insider that he is. You that is intelligent you did not say a single meaningful word. I can see you are one of the reasons Shell is relocating from Portharcourt.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by LasGidiOwner: 10:59am On Jan 27, 2017
The core oil richest states in Nigeria are Rivers, Akwaibom, Bayelsa and Delta state. If Shell do not see any place in these states to locate their facilities then they should equally forget about oil drilling in the region. I am a regular visitor to PH and I know too well that insecurity has reduced at the moment compare to the last administration except they want to use the relocation to score a political point against Wike. Shell shall remain in PH..

DozieInc:

True, they want to steal the wealth and employment opportunities of Rivers people, but they have failed already.

It's time time for all the Oil companies to relocate HQ to the Niger Delta.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by rusher14: 11:00am On Jan 27, 2017
slawomir:

I pity you. you know nothing child. light travels faster than sound that is why some people appear smart until you hear them speak.
you are not intelligent my dear and please try to seek for knowledge and always put on your intellectual cap when next you make judgments.

Welcome Pete Edochie.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Rekit: 11:01am On Jan 27, 2017
You said he is not intelligent but he has given some valid reasons as an insider that he is.
You that is intelligent, you did say a single word that is meaningful. All you said are trash. I can see that you are one of the reasons Shell is relocating from Portharcourt.
slawomir:

4 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:
Why won't they relocate? Your kidnap their employees, bomb their infrastructures despite the social and community development programmes. What else do you want? You sabotage their pipelines. Forcados is down; they repaired it, it didn't last one week, these fools bombed it again. Oil companies are not breaking even... The IOCs are just bearing the losses due to strong financial support from their parent company. While some of the indigenous oil companies have packed up, some have laid off staff and some are unable to export their crude because they evacuate through just one route.

Only those who are not in the industry would think the companies just drill and produe oil without giving back to the society. That's a big lie! They have massive community development projects they embark upon..but like the typical greedy Nigerians that they are, they prefer cash gift to development. And when they get the money, they lavish it on women and ogogoro and then come back for more. The oil companies are not fools.
You want them to recruit you by force when they already have a sizable number of you working for them already. The current business climate doesn't favor bringing in more people but una no wan hear..."they must just recruit us anyhow he go be"
E&P business is not for children. Investments are massive and stakes are high...No company will put you on the rig to because you're an indigene and you don't have the requisite qualifications and skills. Cos one mistake from while on the rig will kill others, destroy the massive investment of the company and destroy company's reputation. Then the company will pay fines and litigation fees. these yoots don'treason well at all.

Bunch of misfits who think the oil companies owe them for discovering oil at their backyards. They owe you nothing. You were not there when they pump in a lot of money to explore for the crude..daily rig rate is around 1 million dollars and yet some jobless yoots think the oil companies should lick their ass... nonsense.
You spoke like someone in the oil industry. Thanks for the revelations.
One thing I want to add is that the joint venture between the companies and the government is also an issue. Government neglected their own part and the companies are bearing all the costs of production to even exports costs.
People also need to know that government has over 50% stake in all productions yet they are huffing around.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by coldcandy: 11:06am On Jan 27, 2017
Wiseoldman:

My dear, it won't cost Shell a lot to leave those JV operation they execute from PHC. This is a billion dollar company. Shell wast stopped from operating in Iran (Do you know how much Oil Iran has). The people of the delta states need to be more friendly and better host. They are lazy and demanding. I'm currently typing this from an Oil field in on of the same Detla states. The people in this community will quarrel with a company that wants to build bridge, they will rather collect the money (monthly) and put wooden planks for crossing. In this same community, the IOC, and federal government have tried repeatedly to build a very important bridge to no avail. The chiefs here own boats which are used to cross the river. and IOCs are made to pay monthly for the lease of the boat. The list goes on.

If this community wants stable power, school, hospital and bridges today they will get it. But the IOC dear not try to do it. They would probably have to pay each community member millions of Naira before they are allowed to build bridges for them. Amazing isn't it

na so dem dey. no be today. Julius berger sef, dem chase am

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by DozieInc(m): 11:08am On Jan 27, 2017
LasGidiOwner:
The core oil richest states in Nigeria are Rivers, Akwaibom, Bayelsa and Delta state. If Shell do not see any place in this states to locate their facilities then they should equally forget about oil drilling in the region. I am a regular visitor to PH and I know too well that insecurity is no problem at the moment except they want to use the relocation to score a political point against Wike. Shell shall remain in PH..

Seconded

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mumels(m): 11:10am On Jan 27, 2017
I served in South South during my Nysc days. I am in full support of shell relocation. All these South South boys are so lazy. I wish oil was found in the south west. We for done leave other region for back like like usian Bolt dey leave other athletes.

Where I served, there was a day some of these oil companies brought a transformer, Infact 2 for the host community. Imagine the community boys said the oil company must pay before they can install transfomer that will be of used by the community ooo. Go to warri and see what warri as turned into since shell left. Warri is now a dirty, rough place.

If shell goes to Lagos. Omo give Lagos 3 years you go think say Na NYC you dey. South westerners are reasonable and educated.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Abagworo(m): 11:17am On Jan 27, 2017
LasGidiOwner:
The core oil richest states in Nigeria are Rivers, Akwaibom, Bayelsa and Delta state. If Shell do not see any place in these states to locate their facilities then they should equally forget about oil drilling in the region. I am a regular visitor to PH and I know too well that insecurity has reduced at the moment compare to the last administration except they want to use the relocation to score a political point against Wike. Shell shall remain in PH..

Why exactly are you against it's relocation to Owerri?

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by HopeAtHand: 11:22am On Jan 27, 2017
Laid2001:
So if that is the case for the entire country, how come companies are more attuned to some city than yours!.

This issue is not a nationwide issue, if you don't even admit your problem how can you get a solution!

Lagosian, or Owerri people will not go and shut down office because their people are not qualified to work in any company. They will not focus on harassing IOCs and be bombing up and down!

So Owerri should wear the shoe while PH should feel the pinch??

You dont even know the agitation some of this communities have. Have your community ever been devastated with spilled oil from pipelines, hiw about the air you breathe, and the sponsor of violence by this IOCs.

If you can feel firsthand the ills, you can be sure id not grumble if you enjoy the benefite, else, you should have no stake.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by HopeAtHand: 11:23am On Jan 27, 2017
Abagworo:

Abagworo, you better respect yourself and support the continued stay of Shell in PH.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by scobaba: 11:35am On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:

Though your Moniker says you are deadwrong.... I absolutely think you are dead right. 1,000 likes to you from me. U said it all.

5 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by scobaba: 11:36am On Jan 27, 2017
norish3preye:

please why are you ranting. tell FGN to do the right thing -fiscal federalism- to end all these unwarranted issues.

anyhow talk. angry

Instead of you to see the true picture the young man just represented. you call it rant. smh.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by esere826: 11:37am On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:

Dude what exactly are you saying? You're mixing two unrelated events here.
Granted that just as you highlighted, a large number of Niger Delta youths in host communities are nuisance to development, you miss the mark.

That a HQ is relocated does not mean that Shell's operational staff will not remain on ground in communities to continue with business as usual.

The HQ is were management/administrative staff work in. They have little or no interaction with the host communities were oil is actually drilled.
I suspect that Shell's HQ major cost grouse in this instance would be on things like:
1) money spent on security for its top management staff
2) Regular kidnap of its HQ staff
3) Fear of kidnap by its HQ staff
4) Ill-defined levies beyond statutory tax extracted by both PH formal and informal orgs from both Shell HQ as an organisation, and its members of staff as individuals.
5) Costly inconvenience of living in a location (PH) that is far away from a federal or international hub such as Abuja and Lagos.

So Shell HQ leaves the bad, bad Niger Delta and moves to the good, good Lagos right, so its top staff can easily travel home to their south west abodes during the weekends abi ?
But leaves its actual money extracting operation in this bad, bad ND location ...LOL

They should consider moving their HQ to Sokoto in the North which is quite peaceful or Asaba in Delta state or many other equally peaceful states were they wont be kidnapped naw.
In this our present interconnected world, they could even go as far as relocating their Nigerian HQ to neigbouring cameroon or peaceful Ghane.

I hope you guys will similarly support any of these other options as much as you salivate with eloquence of pro-and-con logic at the thought that Shell's intended next HQ destination is the Lagos/Ogun axis.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by duwdu: 11:40am On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:

Well said! (And, your moniker should be, DarnRight!)

P34c3

3 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 27, 2017
Oil and Religion will one day split Nigeria into 50smaller countries.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by nonsobaba: 11:52am On Jan 27, 2017
ImoRiver:

It's actually Owerri not Lagos. It's been on the open that they've requested the repossession of the original headquarters in Owerri from where was moved to Port Harcourt earlier. Owerri is still within Niger Delta.
If it is true that Shell is moving to Owerri, then i am in full support of it. The states of delta, bayelsa and rivers have made business very rough for IOCs which have made relocation a survival strategy. When Shell left Warri, Delta state and moved bigly to PH, the economy of warri tumbled into depression as thousands of contractors either followed them to rivers state or closed shop. I don't expect similar scenario to play out in PH as Agip, Total/Elf and NLNG still have big presence there. The youths of Rivers, Delta, and Bayelsa states have to stop oil pipeline vandalism, extortion, kidnapping and harassment of IOCs in their areas of operation if they are really sincere in keeping the oil firms in their region. You can't eat ur cake and...

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by LasGidiOwner: 11:55am On Jan 27, 2017
Abagworo aka Imoriver, you are the only one talking about Owerri here even when it is the last place in Nigeria that will be considered for such relocation. Mentioning Owerri here is like saying that Gambia will replace America at the UN as a permanent member. Shell remains in PH, stop giving yourself unnecessary hard-on..

[s]
Abagworo:

[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attacks GGSS Dapchi In Yobe, Students Feared Abducted / "We Rescued Kankara Schoolboys" — Military Contradicts Govs On Miyetti Allah / Zulum Gives 81 Flats, 79 Million Naira To Medical Doctors In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.