Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,190 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt (20898 Views)

Oshiomhole Threatens To Suspend Ngige: If Presidency Condones Disrespect.. / Ijaw Youths Urge Oil Giant "SHELL" Not To Move HQ From Of Niger Delta / Relocation Of Fertilizer Plant Sparks Protests In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by LasGidiOwner: 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
Don't waste your useful time on Abagworo. Nobody in his right sense will ever consider anywhere in Imo state for such venture. Shell will rather move to Lagos or Abuja or even Akwaibom. He is the only one mentioning Imo state here as if anyone is even reckoning with the state. Rivers state is friendly for business, although there are pockets of issues here and there just like every other Nigerian state. Shell will even consider northern part of Anambra and Enugu states assuming they are looking for a vast land for expansion. However the amount of investment in Shell RA and IA in Rivers state is so enormous to convince anyone that Shell has come to stay in Rivers state. God Bless governor Wike. God Bless Rivers State..

nonsobaba:
If it is true that Shell is moving to Owerri, then i am in full support of it. The states of delta, bayelsa and rivers have made business very rough for IOCs which have made relocation a survival strategy. When Shell left Warri, Delta state and moved bigly to PH, the economy of warri tumbled into depression as thousands of contractors either followed them to rivers state or closed shop. I don't expect similar scenario to play out in PH as Agip, Total/Elf and NLNG still have big presence there. The youths of Rivers, Delta, and Bayelsa states have to stop oil pipeline vandalism, extortion, kidnapping and harassment of IOCs in their areas of operation if they are really sincere in keeping the oil firms in their region. You can't eat ur cake and...
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by DriveByKiller: 12:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:
Why won't they relocate? Your kidnap their employees, bomb their infrastructures despite the social and community development programmes. What else do you want? You sabotage their pipelines. Forcados is down; they repaired it, it didn't last one week, these fools bombed it again. Oil companies are not breaking even... The IOCs are just bearing the losses due to strong financial support from their parent company. While some of the indigenous oil companies have packed up, some have laid off staff and some are unable to export their crude because they evacuate through just one route.

Only those who are not in the industry would think the companies just drill and produe oil without giving back to the society. That's a big lie! They have massive community development projects they embark upon..but like the typical greedy Nigerians that they are, they prefer cash gift to development. And when they get the money, they lavish it on women and ogogoro and then come back for more. The oil companies are not fools.
You want them to recruit you by force when they already have a sizable number of you working for them already. The current business climate doesn't favor bringing in more people but una no wan hear..."they must just recruit us anyhow he go be"
E&P business is not for children. Investments are massive and stakes are high...No company will put you on the rig to because you're an indigene and you don't have the requisite qualifications and skills. Cos one mistake from while on the rig will kill others, destroy the massive investment of the company and destroy company's reputation. Then the company will pay fines and litigation fees. these yoots don'treason well at all.

Bunch of misfits who think the oil companies owe them for discovering oil at their backyards. They owe you nothing. You were not there when they pump in a lot of money to explore for the crude..daily rig rate is around 1 million dollars and yet some jobless yoots think the oil companies should lick their ass... nonsense.

Oil companies have been milking oil communities for years and exploiting their illiteracy for decades. The Federal Government has been the backbone of this exploitation.

People are beginning to wise up to injustice being perpetrated for years.

In any same environment, oil producing communities should the mega cities especially when they are costal cities like Port Harcourt, Bayelsa , Warri ,Escravos, Uyo etc and not Lagos, Kaduna and co.

What you wrote up there is bias and one-sided
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by chikaflora: 1:28pm On Jan 27, 2017
Owerri people why are you like this na? Shell has not even made an official statement yet and you are ready to welcome them.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by martinosi: 2:00pm On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:
Why won't they relocate? Your kidnap their employees, bomb their infrastructures despite the social and community development programmes. What else do you want? You sabotage their pipelines. Forcados is down; they repaired it, it didn't last one week, these fools bombed it again. Oil companies are not breaking even... The IOCs are just bearing the losses due to strong financial support from their parent company. While some of the indigenous oil companies have packed up, some have laid off staff and some are unable to export their crude because they evacuate through just one route.

Only those who are not in the industry would think the companies just drill and produe oil without giving back to the society. That's a big lie! They have massive community development projects they embark upon..but like the typical greedy Nigerians that they are, they prefer cash gift to development. And when they get the money, they lavish it on women and ogogoro and then come back for more. The oil companies are not fools.
You want them to recruit you by force when they already have a sizable number of you working for them already. The current business climate doesn't favor bringing in more people but una no wan hear..."they must just recruit us anyhow he go be"
E&P business is not for children. Investments are massive and stakes are high...No company will put you on the rig to because you're an indigene and you don't have the requisite qualifications and skills. Cos one mistake from while on the rig will kill others, destroy the massive investment of the company and destroy company's reputation. Then the company will pay fines and litigation fees. these yoots don'treason well at all.

Bunch of misfits who think the oil companies owe them for discovering oil at their backyards. They owe you nothing. You were not there when they pump in a lot of money to explore for the crude..daily rig rate is around 1 million dollars and yet some jobless yoots think the oil companies should lick their ass... nonsense.

Can you please vent somewhere else...you talk out of your a**...o.k lets say thay should leave..can you
please tell them to repair the envirommental damage before they go...don't talk smack and defend
non-Nigerians who dat give damn about you or your country....that if you are Nigerian
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mikewills(m): 2:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
DriveByKiller:

Oil companies have been milking oil communities for years and exploiting their illiteracy for decades. The Federal Government has been the backbone of this exploitation.

People are beginning to wise up to injustice being perpetrated for years.

In any same environment, oil producing communities should the mega cities especially when they are costal cities like Port Harcourt, Bayelsa , Warri ,Escravos, Uyo etc and not Lagos, Kaduna and co.

What you wrote up there is bias and one-sided

Don't blame the oil companies. Blame the government of which indicates of the Niger Delta are also members. I've summarized a typical economic analysis for a joint venture asset producing 50000 barrels per day crude.

For a total revenue of $75 million at an oil price of $50, the Federal Government gets about $69 million while the oil company gets about $3 million. How is that fleecing. The real problem is Nigeria and Nigerians and not the iocs.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 2:19pm On Jan 27, 2017
Abagworo:
The truth is that most major oil companies will relocate to Owerri in the next 10 years if the political instability and cultism continues in Rivers State. Already high ranking staffs have quietly relocated their families to Owerri.

Ironically Shell was moved from Owerri to Port Harcourt decades ago.

Owerri? Was Shell HQ ever @ Owerri?
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by 76Naira(m): 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2017
ibrokay:
I also work in the oil industry. If shell wish to relocate,they should go ahead.
The community where i work at the moment has really benefited from the IOC's.
Despite 24hrs power supply,tarred roads, scholarship for their children and jobs,they still don't appreciate the IOC's.
Many of their children did not attend school and they expect the IOC's to employ them. When they even give them job, they sell their slots.
All they expect from the oil companies is to share their profit with everybody in the community.
How can you kidnap and destroy the assets of the oil companies and still expect them to remain in your community.

I am from the ND and I bear no grudges against your points. The people worship their dubious leaders and trouble the IOCs.
Besides, I also have at least 14 years in the industry, worked across the globe and it breaks my heart to say, the Nigerian populace is generally poorly oriented.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 2:30pm On Jan 27, 2017
ePUNK:
I have always said this since 2013 - all the IOC's will gradually leave operating in the creeks and onshore. Afterall some of these assets have been producing for more than 20-30 years. What is going on right now is that these IOC's are gradually going deep offshore and also in ultra deep waters (close to water around the JDZ with Sao Tome & Principe) and they can afford to operate from business-friendly environment like Lagos and Ogun state. Also if you must know Lagos is already building a FTZ just like Onne oil/gas FTZ which will in the future hosts all oil/gas materials activity in Nigeria.

Time's up for the Niger Delta

I have related this to folks on NL in times past. As far back as 2009, Agip relocated their head office from PH to Abuja. Total that left Lagos and moved their HQ to PH, beat a tactical retreat, built a 14-floor building at Adetokunbo Ademola VI and another in Abuja. Prior to that, they moved their Finance group to Lagos. I said in the past that the trend is moving subtly and will climax soon.

Save for not wanting to restate the myriads of experiences workers in the industry relate, Niger-Delta folks hardly learn. Are they not the ones "begging" Shell? Why are they not threatening? ND folks do not understand the basic principle of a safe environment's impact on business

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 2:34pm On Jan 27, 2017
Rekit:

slawomir: :

I pity you. you know nothing child. light travels faster than sound that is why some people appear smart until you hear them speak.
you are not intelligent my dear and please try to seek for knowledge and always put on your intellectual cap when next you make judgments.
You acuse him of not intelligent but he has given very useful insight as an insider that he is. You that is intelligent you did not say a single meaningful word. I can see you are one of the reasons Shell is relocating from Portharcourt.

...he is one of the reasons both basic education and mental institution exists, so that an obvious failure in the former will enable him enter the latter
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by mapet: 2:37pm On Jan 27, 2017
kingkakaone:

You spoke like someone in the oil industry. Thanks for the revelations.
One thing I want to add is that the joint venture between the companies and the government is also an issue. Government neglected their own part and the companies are bearing all the costs of production to even exports costs.
People also need to know that government has over 50% stake in all productions yet they are huffing around.

Bros,

This is not totally correct. In the old JV agreement, the IOCs are the operators. Costs relating to community relations and development is paid by the operator and in that money, 55-60% of it was contributed by the FG. Problem is that the Niger-Delta folks are not strategy and futuristic in their thinking.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2017
Kobicove:

I expect you to counter his assertions with superior argument or you Shut The Fvck Up!!!

I tire o! He just went ad hominem on him. For a university Professor I expected more.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Abagworo(m): 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2017
mapet:

Owerri? Was Shell HQ ever @ Owerri?

I don't know about HQ but Shell was moved from Owerri to Port Harcourt some decades ago.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by nonsobaba: 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2017
mapet:

I have related this to folks on NL in times past. As far back as 2009, Agip relocated their head office from PH to Abuja. Total that left Lagos and moved their HQ to PH, beat a tactical retreat, built a 14-floor building at Adetokunbo Ademola VI and another in Abuja. Prior to that, they moved their Finance group to Lagos. I said in the past that the trend is moving subtly and will climax soon.

Save for not wanting to restate the myriads of experiences workers in the industry relate, Niger-Delta folks hardly learn. Are they not the ones "begging" Shell? Why are they not threatening? ND folks do not understand the basic principle of a safe environment's impact on business
I think you are very much mistaken. Eni(better known in nigeria as AGIP) still has their upstream operational headquarters in PH under the business name NAOC. Total's production arm, Elf, are also headquartered in PH. Total's downstream operations have always been headquartered in Lagos
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2017
Laid2001:
Even Ben Bruce has shutdown his Silverbird cinema in PH.! Due to same reason of unfavourable environment!.

Asari Dokubo has no investment in ND. Many of the NDeltans have their investments outside the region and yet they will be making noise that others are relocating.

Why wont shell relocate when there is no security of life and properties.!!

Total has already relocated its administration to Lagos and left only core operation staff in PH. They don't have to relocate head office!. Just relocate staff, Admin staff oo, external relation, Engineering design and even project teams oo. All staff that are non-field based staff should be relocated to either Abuja or Lagos.!

Keep the building in PH and let them be seeing it empty!. All relocated staff will surely relocate with their tax to the new state.

The stupid youth of ND can not do more than what they are doing now!. Even with the Amnesty free money, they still continued to bomb pipelines, kidnap people, barricade offices, harass companies and carry out crude theft. What else can they still do.

Shell major trunklines are down 50% of time and the Forcados terminal has been down since last year February due to the bombing by NDA.!

Do you live in Ph? Which unfavorable environment? Genesis cinema and film house are they not booming? There's nothing wrong or unfavorable with the Port Harcourt environment
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Jags87(m): 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2017
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Rori(m): 4:01pm On Jan 27, 2017
All dis Niger deltans! I dnnt expect dem to understand sha dats like expecting a miracle
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by realjoker(m): 4:12pm On Jan 27, 2017
mikewills:

Don't blame the oil companies. Blame the government of which indicates of the Niger Delta are also members. I've summarized a typical economic analysis for a joint venture asset producing 50000 barrels per day crude.

For a total revenue of $75 million at an oil price of $50, the Federal Government gets about $69 million while the oil company gets about $3 million. How is that fleecing. The real problem is Nigeria and Nigerians and not the iocs.
Guy! You should bettet stop smoking that weed you are smoking. Which kind stupid analysis is this. It's better to siddon dey look when the subject of discussion is beyond your level of comprehension.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
majekdom2:
we seem to be on the same page. My point is simply. Shell ha every right to re locate to whereever they deem fit.

Got you! I agree.
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by akoko11: 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2017
DeadWrong:

And you think Shell isn't fufiling their obligations to develop their host community or what are you insinuating?
And you think the host communities too do not owe Shell. They can't give you good roads, good schools with infrastructures, health facilities and yet still go ahead to attack their oil wells, vandalise their pipelines. Go and see what has becomes of warri since shell left there.
Shell is coming back to warri, u can find out. Shell! Wafarians r waiting for u
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 5:14pm On Jan 27, 2017
Make them relocate come west oooo we are peaceful people..

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by erico2k2(m): 6:25pm On Jan 27, 2017
yemmie:
I have been working in the oil and gas industry for over 16 years. Started my career in Bonny Shell Terminal, and worked in Europe ,America and Australia.

The truth must be told once and for all, the youth of Niger Delta are fools for not holding their Governors, IOC community reps and chiefs to ransom.

The IOC did not sign contract with Niger delta to explore oil nor did they receive OML / OPL license from Niger Delta host communities. Where do you think IOC get money to develop fields ? PSC contract / JV agreement with NNPC are mostly funded by these IOC with huge risk on their heads. IOC do huge CSR and the host community reps/ chiefs takes everything.

Also DPR don't even have the exact volumes of crude oil produced and exported from Nigeria, Note sealine valves at export jetty/ SBM can't be operated without DPR rep in attendance and also the UFM / control room is also to be monitored jointly by the IOC/ DPR rep.

NLNG Finima is another thing I will remain silent about. Nigeria is a banana republic !!
When the youths pick arms against the so called reps and community leaders what happens?they call thier friends in high places and you see soldiers . This is the practice . NOW where are they relocating to?
It was not mentioned . I think they are leaving Nigeria cos if they are leaving PH to a next state the Reps won't be bothered .
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by erico2k2(m): 6:27pm On Jan 27, 2017
Rori:
All dis Niger deltans! I dnnt expect dem to understand sha dats like expecting a miracle
Guy 4 your mind you make snap now abi?
How about if they relocate 2 Ghana ?
Re: Reps Urge Shell To Suspend Planned Relocation Of It HQ From Port-harcourt by Rori(m): 4:28pm On Jan 28, 2017
erico2k2:

Guy 4 your mind you make snap now abi?
How about if they relocate 2 Ghana ?
Na Niger Delta
e go affect pass

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fashola, Okowa, Tony Elumelu Commission 115 Megawatts Gas Turbine Delta (Pics) / Governors Of Bayelsa, Abia, Delta Akwa Ibom, States Arrive Owerri (pictures) / "My Life Is In Danger" - Kassim Afegbua, Babangida's Spokesman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.