Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness (3867 Views)

Okorocha: "Tinubu Crying More Than The Bereaved; Atiku’s Departure Sad For APC" / Photo Of President Buhari & Osinbajo Smiling Before His Departure To London / Uyo: A City Of Young And Stupid, S3x And Shame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by ariesbull: 10:39am On Jan 29, 2017
Having lived in a city like Lagos for over a decade, I travelled to Uyo for a pressing issue and alas,I was jolted. Never knew that a Nigerian city will be this serene and decent after Calabar. My trip to Uyo was an eye opener though with some level of language difficulties especially in the areas of accent. The natives have a funny way of pronouncing English words.

Iboms are one hell of a proud people that make them appreciate their town and the strides they have made these few years. Having passed through a period I may consider "dark ages" which ended during the time of Attah the erstwhile governor , Akpabio can be said to be a man that ushered in Renaissance in the Uyo. A state noted for their culinary skills and beautiful landscape ,let's not forget women. That's a story for another day.

Entered Uyo through the land via ikot Ekpene , another city that is at the fringes and the last frontiers before you get to Abia state. In short a bike ride from Ikot to ABA is around 300 Naira . A city that can be a clear departure from ABA. I wonder why Abia state governors especially Uzor Kalu didn't met Uyo administrators for a crah course in urban Laning and renewal . Ikot Ekpene is also another good town ,though a bit lad back,travelled from that town to capital city via road that looks like the autobahn you get to see in Europe or the California free way .

Nice folks, never agitating and simple. A south south town, but hardly in news for restiveness like their neighbours in Rivers and Bayelsa. Uyo can be called a city with sanity. A city that one can raise kids and a city that can rival another city in Nigeria apart from Abuja. Lagos is crowded and noisy so Uyo can be a better place for sane minds. A city where buses take their time to stop for passengers .

What jolted me was their act of simplicity and contentment I got to Uyo town, I asked for a place where I can buy some fruits, after buying some stuff from the lady that manages her shop with the husband. Whom I learnt her name was Bassey. I simply asked her,where can I buy some fruits ? She told me that it's far but she can assist me to buy them. I coming from Lagos ,where we are not used to these basic courtesy or value added services. Coming from Lagos where the women selling things feel on top of the world and would ask you tons of questions like ,do you have change? How much are you giving me ? While sitting their fat butts down. Uyo was a different kettle of fish. I couldn't believe it...I simply told the woman ,thank you that I can do that myself. Not that I didn't wanted her to do that, just that it was a bit late and I am not used to such courtesies extended to me.

Got to town, though they speak a language that is in between Chinese and Vietnamese, and speaking English was a bit funny due to accent. Was listening to radio and they on air personality was taking about MMM , the new Ponzi scheme in town,I laughed at the way MMM is pronounced. But, they take pride in their language and their food is something I cherish. Not the too much oil, too much chilly we get accustomed to in Lagos. Uyo is all about moderation even in their foods.

Sunday, I took a drive to a place called plaza, as a predominantly Christian state, all was in churches butva lot of tricycle abound,they were showing me around and they the rider showed me a world class stadium called the nest. Looking like the Emirates stadium that Arsenal FC plays in. The Nest can be said to be the best stadium in Nigeria.

An oil producing state, with good road network and relatively educated people. Uyo can be said to be an investment heaven. Having hosted a lot if oil multinationals and other businesses especially from their Eastern counterpart,the Igbos . Though, in animosity of a sort with their northern brothers the Efiks over the oil block and court injunctions that rules to their favour. Uyo, can be said to have justified their oil revenue and allocations compared to the other oil producing state if southern Nigeria ,with Bayelsa topping the caht if the worst state. As I await Bassey, my new found friend for the best if fisherman souo which she promised to cook after the church. I can say that having trabkkeld around Nigeria, Uyo is a place to live and love

https://etimesafrica./2017/01/29/4231/#more-4231

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Ajibel(m): 10:43am On Jan 29, 2017
I still prefer the madness of Lagos to any other state. Besides Lagos, it's only Anambra that I would live in. I miss Onitsha.

3 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Saintsquare(m): 10:44am On Jan 29, 2017
lol
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 29, 2017
Ajibel:
I still prefer the madness of Lagos to any other state. Besides Lagos, it's only Anambra that I would live in. I miss Onitsha.
pack one side, you are not from Onitsha/Anambra

5 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Afam4eva(m): 10:46am On Jan 29, 2017
I'm tired of seeing all these fine places without any economic value. if i move to Uyo or Calabar, can i make money like i'd in Lagos? I guess not. In Nigeria, the dirtier and uglier a place is, the more money you're likely to make.

16 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by wale2day: 10:50am On Jan 29, 2017
Afam4eva:
I'm tired of seeing all these fine places without any economic value. if i move to Uyo or Calabar, can i make money like i'd in Lagos? I guess not.

There is nothing wrong with those areas, they only require multiple deep seaport and critical transport network. Once that is in place. The state should invest in market infrastructure, school and hospitals, bang before u no, it will be over populated and business is booming.
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 29, 2017
Afam4eva:
I'm tired of seeing all these fine places without any economic value. if i move to Uyo or Calabar, can i make money like i'd in Lagos? I guess not. In Nigeria, the dirtier and uglier a place is, the more money you're likely to make.

i Love Uyo and do my biz online

lived in Lag but cant come there again

4 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Afam4eva(m): 11:01am On Jan 29, 2017
Anticorruption:

i Love Uyo and do my biz online

lived in Lag but cant come there again
Most people o their businesses offline anyways.

4 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Stingman: 11:03am On Jan 29, 2017
I like Uyo...Enugu is also very peaceful and beautiful...It has done well with one of the smallest budget compared to other Nigeria states. With seaports in down SS and relocation of population to the Eastern part...The two cities and others will grow extensively...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 29, 2017
Afam4eva:

Most people o their businesses offline anyways.

ok

in Uyo its food and agro related business that move
and also drinks
cool
but id rather do ma thing
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 29, 2017
Stingman:
I like Uyo...Enugu is also very peaceful and beautiful...It has done well with one of the smallest budget compared to other Nigeria states. With seaports in down SS and relocation of population to the Eastern part...The two cities and others will grow extensively...

Why are you posting pictures here?
Do you want pictures from the wholes States?
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Stingman: 11:17am On Jan 29, 2017
OoniOfIfe:

Why are you posting pictures here?
Do you want pictures from the wholes States?

...what is your problem with you? What is wrong with collaboration with contiguous areas...You can post pictures from all the states if you want...

2 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by ba7man(m): 11:19am On Jan 29, 2017
There's no money in Uyo.......despite the large allocations, their governors are unable to attract investments.

That axis deserves to be a tourist hub due to its serenity.

8 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Ajibel(m): 11:20am On Jan 29, 2017
OoniOfIfe:
pack one side, you are not from Onitsha/Anambra

Excuse me, where did I mention I was/ am from Onitsha?

Fool.

5 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Stingman: 11:21am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:

Thank you my brother. This is y we sieze the opportunity to call for Biafra. We have done the maths. Everybody sit in Lagos and expect who to develop the East?

Population is a critical factor to Economic growth via increased in productivity based on employement of all factors of production.

Once we get Biafra, the first thing is to build seaport, u can never have enough of Seaport. The second thing is to map out a mega City area for urban dwellers.(Capital City on the coast)

We dont want the capital city to be over populated so Cities like Awka, Enugu, Port Harcourt Calabar, Uyo, Yenegoa, Warri will equally receive attention and be as developed as the capital City. They will be expanded in size too.

In another 100 years of Nigeria, SS/SE will not get a deep Seaport, yet dey say we should continue, is it until yorubas start killing dem in Lagos, that they did look for viable alternatives?

I agree with you 100%. I am one of those that believe, East will develop faster if it became autonmous...
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by waternogetememy: 11:24am On Jan 29, 2017
Stingman:

I agree with you 100%. I am one of those that believe, East will develop faster if it became autonmous...

Remove the SS/ SE Population from Lagos and see that City fall like a pack of cards then witness the East grow into a giant.
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by waternogetememy: 11:29am On Jan 29, 2017
We that are calling for Biafra are not stupid. We have done the maths and all necessary calculation.

They say the east will be over populated but we need our population. Wen we map out areas for Cities and a mega capital City the size of Lagos, the populations will be critical to success.

Even our villages will require the industrial and agriculture business population, to say the least before u talk about other industries. The East at present is under populated due to population flight.

In the East today, u did see more Fulani, Hausa, SS and SW people, meanwhile the igbos are busy running off. We want them to all return, live work and die in the East as it once was the case before the onset of the Zoo.
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Flexherbal(m): 11:30am On Jan 29, 2017
Uyo is beautiful !
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 29, 2017
Ajibel:

Excuse me, where did I mention I was/ am from Onitsha?

Fool.

person you are here to derail this thread but you have failed

Go suck pussy
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 29, 2017
Stingman:

...what is your problem with you? What is wrong with collaboration with contiguous areas...You can post pictures from all the states if you want...

Okay I want to start posting pictures but I don't enough time, I have mb data but no time left
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Ajibel(m): 11:33am On Jan 29, 2017
OoniOfIfe:

person you are here to derail this thread but you have failed

Go suck pussy

_Fucktard, you were the one with the intention of derailing the thread by quoting me and claiming I meant something I never wrote.

Go bounce on a _dick.

5 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by waternogetememy: 11:33am On Jan 29, 2017
OoniOfIfe:

Okay I want to start posting pictures but I don't enough time, I have mb data but no time left

Hey Mr are u from this region? cheesy
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Stingman: 11:35am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:

Remove the SS/ SE Population from Lagos and see that City fall like a pack of cards then witness the East grow into a giant.

Correct. Most Easterners in diaspora want to go home. Several groups have been working to bring investments home other than real estate that is springing up everywhere... We need high rise buildings, generation of power from coal; attracting IT ventures like Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, etc; building heavy industries, like automobile, cement, steel, plastic, pharmaceutical and petrochemical, etc...Ibeto cement, Innoson automobile have started in the right direction...

3 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by ariesbull: 11:36am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:
We that are calling for Biafra are not stupid. We have done the maths and all necessary calculation.

They say the east will be over populated but we need our population. Wen we map out areas for Cities and a mega capital City the size of Lagos, the populations will be critical to success.

Even our villages will require the industrial and agriculture business population, to say the least before u talk about other industries. The East at present is under populated due to population flight.

In the East today, u did see more Fulani, Hausa, SS and SW people, meanwhile the igbos are busy running off. We want them to all return, live work and die in the East as it once was the case before the onset of the Zoo.
Helen Keller – Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Eledan: 11:39am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:

You folks always amuse me!! The same lagos that have the highest numbers of non Nigerian resident will simply become empty because Igbos leave?
Stop doing this nonsensetical SS/SE attachment as not all those that occupies the region refer to as SS shares Igbo aspirations, just say if Igbo leaves!
I can only wish you good luck in your journey of self determination.

9 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by waternogetememy: 11:39am On Jan 29, 2017
Stingman:

Correct. Most Easterners in diaspora want to go home. Several groups have been working to bring investments home other than real estate that is springing up everywhere... We need high rise buildings, generation of power from coal; attracting IT ventures like Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, etc; building heavy industries, like automobile, cement, steel, plastic, pharmaceutical and petrochemical, etc...Ibeto cement, Innoson automobile have started on the right direction...

This is wat happens wen Igbos come home. Even their villages start to look like Cities.

Largest Medical Research Centre in Africa. Nigeria is killing us, yet some insist we continue to die and waste.
Imagine if this brother never came home or APGA was not in Anambra to encourage them to come home, this investment will be outside Igboland.

Even Akwa Ibom with all their oil cannot build this. No where in Africa do dey have anything like this, even South Africa.

1 Like

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Lushore1: 11:44am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:

I don't understand you people,....Go and develop your region but you no go gree. I really can't remember any one sending you invitation letter to come n live in lagos. lagos will always prosper and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Just imagine lagos future with eko Atlantic, dangote refinery, Badagry seaport, lekki seaport, lekki airport, the light rail, lagos to ibadan rail project and you are sitting down in your 2 by 2 shop with no plan and making threat. May God deliver you.

8 Likes

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:

Hey Mr are u from this region? cheesy

stop that, I have known this site since 2011, not because I registered this year, I be Area Father for this region.

Do you know Stella?
Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by thesicilian: 11:47am On Jan 29, 2017
Eledan:

You folks always amuse me!! The same lagos that have the highest numbers of non Nigerian resident will simply become empty because Igbos leave?
Stop doing this nonsensetical SS/SE attachment as not all those that occupies the region refer to as SS shares Igbo aspirations, just say if Igbo leaves!
I can only wish you good luck in your journey of self determination.
Don't mind them. Its only a lost soul that seeks self determination anyway.

1 Like

Re: Uyo....a Far Departure From Lagos Madness by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 29, 2017
waternogetememy:

This is wat happens wen Igbos come home. Even their villages start to look like Cities.

Largest Medical Research Centre in Africa. Nigeria is killing us, yet some insist we continue to die and waste.
Imagine if this brother never came home or APGA was not in Anambra to encourage them to come home, this investment will be outside Igboland.

Even Akwa Ibom with all their oil cannot build this. No where in Africa do dey have anything like this, even South Africa.

We will keep seeing this picture of hospital over and over while there are millions of buildings like this in Africa

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Fuels Are Transported In Other Countries - Photos / Atiku In Kano - Pictures Begin To Emerge / Breaking : Buhari To Declare State Of Emergency In Kogi Or Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.