Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,595 members, 7,820,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation (9391 Views)

#LazyNigerianYouths: "Halima Buhari Failed Bar Exams 3 Times" - Lawyer / Power Grid Records First Collapse In February / Power Grid Collapses Six Times In Eight Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 31, 2017
SalamRushdie:

When Fashola increased Tarriffs disnt he say it would make electricity improve significantly within 3 months and now you are yarning dust

The tariff increase was written into the privatization law in 2014.Fashola had nothing to do with it, and reversing it would have been legally problematic.

And anyway, tarrif increases were inevitable..... our power industry needs huge amounts to work properly, and we are the ones who pay for it thanks to privatization.

Ghana has better light supply than we do. They also pay twice as much as we do in bills.
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by SalamRushdie: 1:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
9jakohai:

The tariff increase was written into the privatization law in 2014.Fashola had nothing to do with it, and reversing it would have been legally problematic.

And anyway, tarrif increases were inevitable..... our power industry needs huge amounts to work properly, and we are the ones who pay for it thanks to privatization.

Ghana has better light supply than we do. They also pay twice as much as we do in bills.

Ghana doesnt pay twice as much right now ..I am a very regular visitor to Ghana so I know ..Currently my apartment in Lagos gulp over 30k a month even with the less than 6 hours a day I get , if i had round the clock electricity i would have to spend over 70k running my apartment with just six airconditioners , 2 refrigerators ,one low voltage washing machine , 3 tvs and 2 dispensers (note i dont usuall0put them all on sef )
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Nbote(m): 1:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Actually GENCOS own the power stations...

Here is a list:http://iwin.org.ng/index.php/news/itemlist/category/179-generation-company-genco

And from the above link...

Olorunsogo Power Plant (Phase I)

The Olorunshogo plant is a 335MW gas plant, located in Papalanto, Ogun State. In 1999, the FGN began an aggressive restructuring of the power sector with several aims, including introduction of efficient, private sector standards and management principles, and methodology, leading to reliable power. In 2001, the FGN approved a National Electric Power Policy (NEPP), followed in 2005 by the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act. EPSR Act provides the legal authority for the unbundling of Nigeria’s power utility as well as the introduction of a new, regulatory scheme managed by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), an independent regulatory commission, to guarantee open access and ensure efficiency throughout the industry. Outright sale option was adopted by the Bureau for Public Enterprises in the sale of Olorunshogp phase I which was culminated on the 1st of November 2013. The new owners are Pacific Energy.

Power generation has been privatised. All that is left is transmission....which is run by the Transmission Company of Nigeria....a govt company. Even then....the DISCOS are supposed to generate funds for the rest of the power industry.

In other words...the DISCOS generate funds and pay to the GENCOS....for power which they distribute.GENCOS...pay for gas and (hopefully) improve and expand generating facilities.

All those are the usual paperwork grammar which is a whole lot different from what is obtainable. We know there are some smaller stations which contribute to the National grid and are privately run. However to say the sector especially GENCOs have been completely privatised is laughable considering the govt is still in the business of construction of new stations. I'll want to belive u do know about some of the power plants which were at various levels of completion before now.
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by sekem: 1:16pm On Jan 31, 2017
proeast:
For real bro, the general consensus now, is for him to vacate aso rock asap, whether dead or alive!

Who will then move in after he vacates?

Have you thought about that?

What's the track record of that person?
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by masseratti: 1:37pm On Jan 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Power is privatised. Direct your complaints to the DISCOS, GENCOS...and the average Nigerian who refuses to pay his light bill.
please don't insult Nigerians while you re trying to defend politicians, provide constant light and see if Nigerians won't pay, you can't bill me for darkness and expect me to pay, ikeja disco disconnect my line for 3 months, out of the 3 months I travelled for a month, transformer got spoilt replaced, that took them 2 months I was billed 65k for those three months of total darkness, the bad part is that they forgot that they had disconnect my line.
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 31, 2017
masseratti:
please don't insult Nigerians while you re trying to defend politicians, provide constant light and see if Nigerians won't pay, you can't bill me for darkness and expect me to pay, ikeja disco disconnect my line for 3 months, out of the 3 months I travelled for a month, transformer got spoilt replaced, that took them 2 months I was billed 65k for those three months of total darkness, the bad part is that they forgot that they had disconnect my line.

1.I wish i was defending politicians...maybe they could pay me N700,000 monthly for the privilege......

2.The problem with your proposition is that for Nigeria to get constant light....we need money. And the money is quite a lot.

Here are some estimates...in 1997 N5 trillion was the cost to get us 24 hour light. In 2013...a committee set up by the GEJ govt put it at $100billion in extra funding....note extra funding...for the enxt five years.

3.During the days of PHCN....most Nigerians did not pay their bills. Nowadays, in the days of DISCOS....most Nigerians do not pay their bills. (And I know how you feel....once had to pay, along with two others, the lion's share of PHCN bills for a private student residence during my student days. Most of the students there refused to pay....it was just a few of us paying on their behalf...and we were students.).

You do not pay for service...you cannot get that service. If you owned a business....and I came in and took one of your products without paying....you would (rightly) call me a thief. Which is what you are proposing we do with respect to Power supply for Nigeria.

Or how do you expect them to give us light...when it is just a few of us paying for most of us (which in fairness includes govt parastatals/ministries).....and as a result...the DISCOS AND GENCOS....do not have the cash to make the necessary improvements for light.

Like right now we need to generate more electricity.Maximally we generate 6000MW. Lagos needs 10000MW to see light 24/7. And all that needs money....trillions of naira....which govt, corruption aside....does not have. It has to come from our pockets. Benefit of privatization(Maybe we should have spoken up in 2014 when the process was ongoing)
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by masseratti: 2:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
9jakohai:

1.I wish i was defending politicians...maybe they could pay me N700,000 monthly for the privilege......

2.The problem with your proposition is that for Nigeria to get constant light....we need money. And the money is quite a lot.

Here are some estimates...in 1997 N5 trillion was the cost to get us 24 hour light. In 2013...a committee set up by the GEJ govt put it at $100billion in extra funding....note extra funding...for the enxt five years.

3.During the days of PHCN....most Nigerians did not pay their bills. Nowadays, in the days of DISCOS....most Nigerians do not pay their bills. (And I know how you feel....once had to pay, along with two others, the lion's share of PHCN bills for a private student residence during my student days. Most of the students there refused to pay....it was just a few of us paying on their behalf...and we were students.).

You do not pay for service...you cannot get that service. If you owned a business....and I came in and took one of your products without paying....you would (rightly) call me a thief. Which is what you are proposing we do with respect to Power supply for Nigeria.

Or how do you expect them to give us light...when it is just a few of us paying for most of us (which in fairness includes govt parastatals/ministries).....and as a result...the DISCOS AND GENCOS....do not have the cash to make the necessary improvements for light.

Like right now we need to generate more electricity.Maximally we generate 6000MW. Lagos needs 10000MW to see light 24/7. And all that needs money....trillions of naira....which govt, corruption aside....does not have. It has to come from our pockets. Benefit of privatization(Maybe we should have spoken up in 2014 when the process was ongoing)
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by thunderbabs: 3:26pm On Jan 31, 2017
With all the billions of dollars gone into the power sector, shouldn't we be having two power grids?
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Pchidexy(m): 5:33pm On Jan 31, 2017
9jakohai:

And his replacement will do what?

1.Take over the whole NEPA again....that has been privatised?

2.Force Nigerians to pay the high bills needed ....so that DISCOS can raise the money needed to repair and replace the transmission system...and the GENCOS can build new generating power plants.

3.Find N5 trillion to do the needful.

GEJ did a lot of funny things....privatizing power was not one of them.

And thanks to that....there is nothing the rocket scientist can do...Power minsitry does not control power anymore....except for the grid...and even that....funding for its replacement is coming from...the DISCOS...and that means...you and me.
Shut your dirty mouth! Government generates power the Discos distribute. I don't know the kind of idiots we have on Nairaland. Pathetic!
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by erico2k2(m): 6:52pm On Jan 31, 2017
Pchidexy:
Shut your dirty mouth! Government generates power the Discos distribute. I don't know the kind of idiots we have on Nairaland. Pathetic!
I recon you should go back and read up owners of the power stations amd I'm sure you owe that guy an apology .
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2017
Pchidexy:

Generation is controlled by the GENCos.... Which are all PLC.

Thank you and good evening.
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 31, 2017
Pchidexy:

Generation is controlled by the GENCos.... Which are all PLC....private companies

Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by Pchidexy(m): 10:42pm On Jan 31, 2017
9jakohai:

Generation is controlled by the GENCos.... Which are all PLC....private companies

Gencos my ass! The job of generating electricity still lies with the government. The Gencos are more into transmission. Discos distribute. Don't let anybody fool you. The Gencos self are dead. Sorry about the insult! Na Naija situation dey vex me.
Re: National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation by obailala(m): 10:56pm On Jan 31, 2017
Omoakinsuyi:
Fashola should go and apologise to Jonathan
Jonathan spent 5 years and at least $8billion on power, but still handed over a rotten epileptic system to a new govt.

Now the new govt is still struggling with the corpse that was handed over to it yet some humans actually think the guys who have spent 18 months should be apologising to the guys who spent 60 months and over $8billion on power but achieved nothing?

Such wisdom!

EternalTruths:
God is just humiliating Fashola grin
Just the same way GEJ humiliated himself for 5 years after spending over $8bn on power yet still handed over a rotten dilapidated corpse right?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking: Atiku To Visit USA / Meet The Unique Nigerian Senator Who Has Never Uttered A Word In The Red Chamber / President Buhari To Attend First World BIO Summit In South Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.