Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,744 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (42326 Views)

Purified Tomorrow: The Mad Awakening (A Science Fiction) By Akinjide Akintayo / The Romantic Chronicles Of Badoh / Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
Chapter Nine

The opposite poles on Nuterra are totally frozen ice lands that are virtually uninhabitable. It’s so cold in these area that during extreme cold seasons, even gases turns solid. So no attempt have been made to colonize these harsh South and North poles. Just below the north pole heading down a little to the equator, some scattered islands protrude through parts of the frozen sea. Some of these islands are ice tundra waste lands. One of the islands is name Hardrock .
Hardrock was procured by Marvel under a bogus registered company Orbitz Inc. That was before getting into his active career as a bounty hunter. This island have a self-inclosed and self-contained underground facility. As nature will have it, an active volcano vent push out hot springs that find it’s way deep under the rock buried beneath tones of ice and snow. This hot spring passes through several under lining layers of the rocky part of Hardrock Island. The facility was built among these hot spring vents. The channel of hot springs create advantages for the facility. It provides geo-thermal which is harnessed to provide the power that runs the facility. Also it provides natural heating for the place without additional power drain for heating.
These area of Nuterra are totally off surveillance. The facility was first built by mine questors seeing a potential use of the North pole extreme weather conditions and abilities to turn gas into solids. When the venture proved to costly and other cheaper alternatives presented themselves, the questors abandoned the facility. Marvel then bought believing it will serve him a purpose in the future. The place remains mostly on inhabited except for Hardwire, who uses it as an experimental grounds, places to build and modify Marvel’s weapons and trade tools. Or at times to just get away from the bounty hunter’s annoying attitude and be alone.
When the order had come from Marvel to disengage and total overhaul, Hardwire had known Marvel wants him to move everything he had back there down here. So he had set up everything and waiting for the bounty hunter to show up. Three days have gone now and nothing from him yet. Twenty four hours after setting things up here, The Mole had appeared here at the door step as a manner of speaking. To say Hardwire was surprised and shocked was an understatement.

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
The dark skin diminutive had just stepped in and said “Oh so you are Hardwire, ain’t ya? “ When Hardwire didn’t respond because of the shock on him the Lilliputian had just moved past him and added. “I need a hot steaming bath, the tunnels under The Pit stinks more that the inside of a sewage treatment machine. And I have to crash. Wake me up when your annoying boss gets here. “
Two days after that, they were still waiting for him. They both were sitting in a small mess/rec room in the facility, drinking steaming syth-caf from foil cups when the door chimes and the automated security door said, “Authorized entry. “ As the door slid back, there stood Marvel, panting heavily, faced livid and burning with rage, the strain of the long journey showing on him.
“Hey about time you got here. “ The Mole said lifting up the steaming cup Marvel’s way. “I’m must tell you, you’re owning big time for all I had to go through. “
Marvel didn’t reply at first, he took few steps into the room and looked around as if seeing everything for the first time. Hardwire got worried. In all the time he had worked with the bounty hunter, he had never seen him as angry as this.
“Boss are you alright? “ he asked. Marvel ignored him and face The Mole.
“You survived, good. They won’t see this coming. “ Marvel said as he opened the second door of the mess/rec room, down the long passage and entered the control hub of the facility. A wide room filled with monitors, consoles, weapon racks and above pylons criss crossing the ceiling that was almost as high as a kilometer. Going to a console he said, “Reenactment of detachment protocol concluded. All archetype copy fully integrated with the external receptors. Full automated operations granted. Authorized activation code MIRI 110458 DUCAN 6536HW255. Acknowledge receipt and initialize. “

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:25pm On Feb 22, 2017
Several beeps sounded a bluish blur appeared in the air and takes the customary female form of ADA on the corporate office wear. “ Activation code accepted. Full active functions initiated. Integrating with pre-set auto security parameters of the facility, engaged and upgraded. Full sensors output functional. All internal motion detectors and auto cam active. External sensors on sectors 1,2 and 4 active. Sector 3 inactive. Damaged. Life support system at 100% performance capacity. Thank you sir for reactivating me. “
“Wow you brought ADA here? “ cried Hardwire with glee as he stepped into the room.
“She looks like a nice wench. “ The Mole said with a smile. “Heard a lot about her, I ‘ave been wanting to meet her. “
“Mole get ready we are gonna hunt some corporate back stabbing greedy pigs. “ Marvel gritted his teeth, eyes blazing and hands clenched.
“Yes I’m with you on that one. Got some scores to settle with ‘ em. No one comes to my house, blow up my sh.its and get away with it. “ The Mole drawn the hot steaming contents of his cup in one full gulp. “So when do we start kicking a.ss?”
“As soon as I get some stiffs put together. “ Marvel answered. “Hardwire, you are going to be coming with us. “
“Hey just hold it on a minute here, boss. “ Hardwire side fear making his voice tremble and his hands raised palms up. “You know I’m not a field guy, never had the training nor the heart for it. I’m your hardware and hack man, anything above that is beyond me. I don’t even know how to shoot. “
“Get a hold of yourself and stop whining, you sound pathetic like a kid who just lost his favorite toy. “ Marvel’s voice was harsh and devoid of pity. “I need you a lot closer with me on the field for this one. “

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:28pm On Feb 22, 2017
Marvel went into a pressurized cube to clean all the dirt and grime that have clung to his skin these past few days. The pressurized cube uses both water, air and sound to clean the body of grime, dust and micro organisms. He came out wearing simple clothing of slacks.
“You look real beat Marvel, I’d suggest you rest for a while. “ The Mole said as he saw the bounty hunter stepping into control room.
“I will rest after Nicolas his dead. A bad move for him setting me up. I’m gonna hold his neck and squeeze till his eyes pop out of their sockets. “
“Won’t argue about that Marvel, but getting to Nicolas won’t be easy, he is well protected. “ taking short pace as his legs would allow him, The Mole continued. “And I’m certain Nicolas isn’t the only one behind this. I was attacked by Mantis police. Mantis is under Iris Securities not Trans Terra. “
“I really don’t care about any of that. “ Marvel grimaced. “All I know is Nicolas set up the job, he is the one I know and he gets to take the fall. “
Turning to Hardwire, who was busy at a console peering intensely at a monitor he asked, “How are we on artillery and hardware? “
“Boss let’s leave that for later, I think you should see this. “ Hardwire was pointing at the monitor.
“What’s it? “ Marvel came over to stare at the monitor Hardwire was indicating.
“A message have continue to broadcast on our emergency line. Though it’s a dead-end connection. It leads to no where, but I still kept it active even after I disconnected all our active lines. “ Hardwire hit several keys on the console’s keyboard. “I have been monitoring the passive emergency line, and this message have been broadcasting on it for two days now. Now the message is broadcasting live. “
“Bring it up let’s see. “ said The Mole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2017
Marvel sighed loudly the moment the image came on the screen. It was the face of Colonel James. “Ignore if the message is from him. “
“Well I have been doing that for two days, “ Hardwire turned to face him. “But I feel you should just at least listen to the message. At least on this particular time we caught on to it life. “
“Ok let’s see what it says. “
“Marvel if you are seeing this please respond…. If you are seeing this please respond…. If you are seeing this please respond…. If you are… Ah there you are, after two days I thought you won’t pick up. “ said the colonel’s voice through screen.
“Is the message connected to us? “ Marvel whispered.
“No. I’m doing it as drop messages, no direct linkage. So there will always be few seconds delay in between sending and receiving. “
“Patch me through and drop my messages. Keep just a reproduced image of me alone, I don’t want either of you to appear in the messages. “
“Ok boss. “ Hardwire tapped more keys. “You are on now. “
“Hey Colonel Shi.t face, what are you doing on my emergency channel. To what do I owe this indignity of your annoying visage? “
The Colonel said nothing immediately, the delay of the sent and response taking it’s time.
“Ah Marvel so nice to see you again. “ the colonel’s face broke into an awkward smile.
“If I don’t know better I’d assumed you are feeling pained you didn’t get privilege to burst my ass as a recruit. Hey you wanna take a shot at me again? Don’t you think I’m a bit too old for you? “ Marvel posed with a rude gait. “Or could your Instruments have grown so big it can’t penetrate young recruits ass again? Or are you just feeling Hot? Missing you tomboys? “

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
“Marvel, I won’t lie that I ever at any time enjoyed our chat. “ the Colonel was no longer able to keep the calm façade. “But I’m forced at this time to crawl down to your pathetic moral decayed level because of a pressing need. “
“Well I’m not surprised you have a pressing need. After all I can guess the piece of meat dangling between your thighs is craving for it’s due. “ Marvel’s face twisted into a disgusted mask. “Such hypocrisy, a man who screw young male recruit’s for fun talking about morality. James you have always been a slime and that is what you will continue to be. You bore me, time I stop honoring you with replies. You just a waste of my time. “
“Wait before you storm of, I knew you will never listen to me, so I invited someone I’m sure you will listen to. “ The image of Colonel James vanished from the screen to be replaced by that of another one with a weathered face, hair almost all silky white. Jaws pressed in making the cheeks to dropped a bit down both side. And elderly looking man but with eyes having the intensity of a predator.
Marvel’s world grind to a halt as soon as the face appeared. This is the one person he can never disobey. A man Marvel feared and respected to the point of almost deifying. This is the man that have trained Marvel from a wimpy, fearful and sick looking kid into a fierce fighting marine trooper. He had saved Marvel life once and had lead him into several engagements, always on the front line, motivating and showing his men how to fight. This is a man whose promotion and rising through the military ranks haven’t been by lobbying politicians or being a desk jockey, but through hard work, successful combat missions and a responsible command of his men. This is a man that can lead Marvel into hell and he would follow without a question. Marvel groped in his mind, not for his name but his present military rank. General Leyland Steadman.

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 4:58pm On Feb 22, 2017
“Has it been that look you no longer recognize me, son? “ The face asked calmly.
“Sir, no Sir. “Marvel saluted standing at a rigid attention, his military training discarded years back taking full control again.
“At ease son. No need for the formalities. “ the image waved. “You are no longer in the service and by extension no longer under my command. “
“Once a marine, always a marine, sir. “ Marvel in toned.
“Too true son, but for now, you are no longer mine to command. I’m only here to mediate between you and Colonel James. “
Marvel face put on a dark look but he said nothing.
The general laughed a bit. “I know you hate his guts and I know the reasons you do. If I was in your place, I’d hate him more. But for now something have come up that is way beyond any of our personal sentiments. Earth military command have asked me to intervened when James reported of your unwillingness to coordinate with him. I know if left alone, James will blow this job with his usual incompetence. “
Sounds of protest could be heard from behind the general. “Seal your lips James and that is an order. “ Turned to address some behind him. When he turned back to face the screen he said, “So Marvel, will your for old time sake just accept this mission, disregard the fool that is calling the shots? “
“ Yes sir, for you I’d do anything, sir. “

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 5:00pm On Feb 22, 2017
“You see that is what I call a well conditioned soldier. “ the general said facing the person at his back again. “Thanks son for accepting this mission son. Now I will make this easy on you. You will not be directly answerable to Colonel James, you will be answering to me directly. You are at liberty to disregard anything Colonel James say to you. You will receive full cooperation from the offices of Earth watch Intelligence Agency and Colonial Security and Control. You meet any snag, you come to me direct. “
“Yes sir. “
“Hey wizboy, come and fill in Marvel on everything about this mission, leave nothing out. I order a full disclosure. “
The general’s face was replace by the face of a young nervous looking man who appears to be in his early 20s, a little older than Hardwire. “My name is Howard Fredrick, you can call me Fred sir. “
“Ok Fred what do you have to tell me? “ Marvel looked at Hardwire who acknowledged with a node that he is recording.
“One of our field agent was able to infiltrate a secret corporate facility and sent us some very disturbing data. Some corporations on Nuterra have been involved in some serious illegal genetic manipulation. They have cultured a very dangerous pathogen. From the data reaching us, it is a mutated version of the Dengue virus that was totally eradicated three centuries ago. The virus have a very nasty habit causing hemorrhage fever, in very few case devouring of human soft tissues, causing blindness, deafness, paralysis and mental illness. But this time another unknown mixed up with the virus creating a whole new species with it’s own unique strain. Though the data sent by our agent have been given to both Global Centre for Disease and Control (GCDC) and International Pathogen Eradication Agency (IPEA), both are working on knowing more about this new strain and create a possible antidote. We believe the corporations involved in this plans to use it, but we have no idea how or where. “

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 10:20pm On Feb 22, 2017
After thinking about this for a while, Marvel asked, “Any idea where you think this virus is kept? “
“Not yet. “ Fred said, his voice full of nervous trembling. “But our agent stumbled on this information at AgroGen research facility in Dhance, a town outside New Haven. But nothing more have been heard from the field agent. “
“ Let me come in here now, you have said enough. “ Colonel James pushed the young man aside and reappear on the screen. “The agent who sent us this is Jade, who I’m sure you are acquainted with. She risked her life to get us this data. Well in your usual over bloated ego attitude , you turned her down when she asked for your help. Now she maybe dead because of you. “
Marvel already had a retort ready on his lips to reply the self righteous hypocritical madman but he held on remembering that Gen. Leyland is within earshot. “What actually do you want from me? “ Marvel didn’t throw his question directly to the Colonel, he made it open. General Leyland must have realized that and came back on the screen.
“Ignore James’ rantings. This is what we will want you to do, locate where this virus is, secure and destroy it, that is your primary objective. While at it keep your eyes open for agent Jade. She is still a valuable asset. Now this is all we know. Three days ago all communications with her ceased after she sent this data. We couldn’t reach her again until last night an SOS emergency beacon with her signature came on and has been on since then. The problem is the whole area where she was last seen have been cordoned off. The AgroGen and BioMatrix are claiming it’s a toxic gas leak they are trying to cap, so the area is under quarantine and sealed off. Well the funny thing about this quarantine is no single bio hazard contingency approach have been used, but well armed Mantis police are patrolling the three mile wide perimeter created. Hover crafts, air gun boats and armored air cars patrol the sky above the place. So we need an independent person on the ground there. “

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 10:21pm On Feb 22, 2017
“Ok sir, the mission is understood. “
“Well son, we know you are no longer in the service and you expertise is for hire. I have recommended you be paid. So as soon as we agree on terms, you will get your money. Hope that is satisfactory? “
“It is sir. “
“Thanks for this son. Good luck and Godspeed. “ The general saluted and Marvel responded with a rigid one of his own. The screen went dark.
“Ever the army push over boy ain’t ya? “ Hardwire said croaking with loud laughter.
The Mole looked at Hardwire darkly, he turned to Marvel and said, “I know the geek boy is your friend and all but he just crossed a line. Allow me few seconds with him I will show him the errors of his ways and cut of his tongue. He doesn’t need that to be a loyal employee. “
“No Mole, let him be, he is just a kid. “
Hardwire’s laugh cut off in mid stride, he moved behind Marvel, trembling with fear as he saw the deadly look given to him by The Mole. “Marvel tell me he is kidding right, about what he said he will do to me. “
“No he is not. Don’t fool around with him, he might as well kill you without a second thought friend to me or not. “ Marvel pulled him close and whispered in his ears. “Me and the Mole go a long way back. I saved his life once and since then we have been very close, the Mole may have lots of vices but he is fiercely loyal to me. I’m even careful when around him because he can be very unpredictable. So try not to insult me in his presence next time, you may not live to finish it. “
“O c’mon Marvel, I was just fooling around. I do that all the time not like I mean any of the things I say, you do know that, don’t you. “
“I do, Hardwire and I understand, but The Mole does not. “

2 Likes

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 10:23pm On Feb 22, 2017
“So Marvel are we doing this? “ The Mole called from where he was sitting.
“It will give me the excuse to go after Nicolas. “
“Yea, plus you are been paid for it too. “ The Mole smiled with his glinting teeth showing. “Well you have to give me a cut from it, big enough for me to reopen my shop. “
“That’s a deal Mole. “
“So how do we start? “
“By stocking up on armaments. “ Marvel turned to Hardwire. “Hope my guns are still where they are? “
“ Yeah boss all ready to rock and roll. “
“Hope you didn’t forget to bring my MAX2 flyer with you like I instructed? “
“Oh em there’s a slight problem with that boss. “ Hardwire framed a shocked and fearful outlook.
“C’mon Hardwire this is not the time to be fooling around. “
In response Hardwire laughed and beckoned on Marvel to follow him. He led them to the basement parking space.
“Ta daa “ Hardwire waved his arm like a magician showing a new trick. “I present to you the MAX 2 flyer version 3.0.”
Before them was the black sleek triangular shape of the flyer resting on its three support struts. Marvel noticed some bulging areas on the other wise smooth angles and edges of the craft. “What have you done to my flyer? “

2 Likes

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by damynj(m): 4:56am On Feb 23, 2017
Wow! Thumbs Up My Man, I'm Loving Dis More And More.
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Lordnagato(m): 6:52am On Feb 23, 2017
Nice story bro, extremely grateful for the frequent updates... Following keenly
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 10:53am On Feb 23, 2017
“I have been busy with some modifications. “ Hardwire drone on proudly. “32,000 credits was enough to buy everything I need for the re-fitting. Apart from the usual sensors available, I have added three more extra plasma cannons. Well on the forward port, the single mini gun have been replaced with two maxi guns, with 88mm shells powerful enough to blow air tanks away. On the wings ports, it now carries 6 missiles each. Amid, the space there houses four mini nuke bombs. Well for the normal small targets like humans and air cars, I still kept the one mini chain gun, but it’s in between the maxi guns at the forward port. And one last favorite, it’s actually two. The bulge on the wings are housings for two hover bikes. Both are armed with a single quad barrel super galling gun and two grenade launchers. And one last thing, the flyer can now make full interstellar travel. With this upgrades, the flyer will chew guns ships like kid plays. It is even strong enough to engage a mid class attack space yacht one on one. Also I did a reverse re-engineering of something I stole from that cyborg, energy shielding for the MAX 2.It can take a few beatings and not go down. What do you think? “
Before Marvel could reply, The Mole came close. “I can see why you still keep him in your employ despite his annoying attitude. So what next? “
“Let’s earn our pay and make some corporate bosses bleed. “
“Em about that, I think you need to know about this before you move. “ Hardwire called back to them.
“Not again Hardwire, this better be real important. “
“Trust me Marvel it is. “
“You put up a lot with this kid Marvel. “ The Mole put in as he gave the youngster a withering stare.
“I have to, the kid pull more than his weight on fusion ore. “ Turning to Hardwire the bounty hunter asked. “So what is it? “
“Well actually I have found Dr. Guthrie. “
“What? “ Marvel didn’t know how the shock knocked the words out of his mouth.

2 Likes

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by aytigidz433(m): 2:27pm On Feb 23, 2017
cheesy ooooohhh.... the suspense. thanks for d regular updates
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Chukwudozzie(m): 6:50pm On Feb 23, 2017
Now the story has started. Nice job Apollux
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by bqlekan(m): 7:40pm On Feb 23, 2017
Apollux bro, thanks for this lengthy update.. I'm so enjoying this..
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 10:25pm On Feb 23, 2017
♻ ♻ ♻ ♻ ♻

“It’s like this, “Hardwire said as he pointed at some points on the holo display monitor. They were back at his work space in the control area of the facility. “Dr. Guthrie created several nano bot simulating programs. They act like virus but doesn’t have the general identity of a virus, so most computer security programs don’t see them as threats. “
“Now the doctor got to a high security corporation data terminal and injected his nanobot program into the system. The work of these tiny programs is to infest every area of corporate security setting, laying dormant and doing nothing. They soon get to integrate themselves into the electronic security protocols and operational settings. Now anytime any bits of data about the cyborg comes online, it seeks out that data and destroys it. But will now send a distorted data to the corporate security lines that the cyborg is having on a kind of electronic security disruptor device, with them having no idea that the disruption is embedded in their system. That guy is brilliant. “
“No wonder the corporations’ spying apparatus could not locate him. “ Marvel said with an index finger coiled around his lip. “So how were you able to get him the first time? “
“I used a tracking system that was in no way linked or slaved to the corporate system, so was virtually uninfected with the program nanobots. “
“But the cyborg have gone out of sight, nothing have been seen of him in a while now. So how did you get the doctor? “
“It’s so simple. “ Hardwire rubbed his palms together. “Since I couldn’t get the cyborg again, I ran down a reversed trace programs on the origin /source of the nanobot programs. Well I have gotten several sources. The doctor have been very active, always on the move. But now I got him pinned down at a particular place. And your guess is as good as mine; where you see the doctor… “
“You see the cyborg. “ Marvel completed.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Izcool007(m): 10:42am On Feb 24, 2017
Apollux:

U r very welcome, join the fun. Contribute to d story by asking questions for clarification and saying something about the possible direction of the story
Owkies, thanks for the welcome. I'll try my best to be a participating member of this thread
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 12:27pm On Feb 24, 2017
“Exactly boss. “Hardwire said punching the air.
“Well the Earth watch job can still wait a bit, I have an unfinished business with the cyborg. “
“I need to say something at this point, I’m guessing that if I can get the doctor’s location, it is a remote possibility that the corporations will too, with the back door I created in tracking the cyborg the first time. If they use that, sooner or later they will sniff him out. “
“That impress on us the need for haste. “ Moving to his armory he called on to Hardwire. “ Suit up, you are going with us on this one. “
♻♻♻♻♻

The moon called Nuterra have several on explored areas. This is as a result of some of these places having very little in mineral resources worth mining or having living conditions suitable for habitation. Others are areas too remote and harsh that the venture of taming them will cost to much to attract corporate attention. One of such areas is the rocky ranges yet unnamed but within a part of the forest called New Amazon. The rocky ranges were surrounded by miles and miles of untapped forest. But the rocky ranges have several waterfall and numerous caves.
One of these caves have been hewn and converted into a hi tech shop where two fugitives from the corporations have found a safe retreat.
Dr. Guthrie was sitting in a small room hewn from rocks, littered about the small space were electronic consoles interconnect with huge cables. At one end is an metallic rack in shape of an upright operating bed, with four metal straps, hanging empty. A little distance from there is a small entrance leading into a smaller room with red lighting, a huge iron table occupied most of the space in the room. Cybernetic limps seen on the table and also hanging from racks a fixed to the ceiling. A heavily dense armored steel door leading into the room is locked. The doctor wasn’t worried about disclosure because the cave he had chosen as the place to hide in is in the mist of several waterfalls that will disrupt any prying and probing devices. Land and hover mines are scattered at regular intervals out side this cave. The have motion detectors and anti-tamper sensors that will trigger massive explosions if they were set off. Besides the doctor have hidden in a hidden lake with a linked tunnel from this place, a fusion powered air and sea yacht, powerful enough for orbital flight. So for now he feels secured as he had felt for months after escaping the trap the corporations have set for him.
A hologram display was on before the doctor, showing and x-ray image of the cyborg with tiny bits of words and figures dotting different areas of the body. He was so intent on the display that it didn’t see the dark shadow that just stepped into the room he is in.
“Now if this isn’t the ever elusive Dr. Guthrie who one official and public corporate records is deceased. “ said and unfamiliar voice to the doctor.
He turned with a start, paralyzing fear and dread freezing him immediately to his seat.
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2017
“Tsk tsk, very naughty of you ain’t it doc. You go and create problems for the high and mighty corporations, letting everyone believing you are dead, causing grievous losses to them and coming in here to hide in peace and quiet. “ Marvel appeared into the room after that speech. Pointing the MAC penetrator at the doctor.
The doctor’s lips moved several times but no words came out. The doctor was already showing the strain the present situations is putting him through. That included with burden of old age. His hands look well emaciated from the area that could be seen beyond the sleeves of the lab coat.
“I would recommend you desist from further harassment of Dr. Guthrie. “ said a familiar electronic voice behind Marvel.
“Yes, just the very creep I was looking for. “ Marvel turned to face the new person coming in. He wasn’t surprised to see it is the cyborg. The cyborg was facing him with his two arms lifted and already morphed into quad barrel lazer guns.
“A repeat of our previous encounter wouldn’t please me. I’m not your enemy bounty hunter. “ said the cyborg with a voice devoid of any emotion. “But I will not let you harm Dr. Guthrie. “
“So you’re scared I’d kick your ass like I did last time. “ Marvel turned directing his MAC penetrator at the cyborg, safety off and the gun on full auto settings.
“Engaging you in combat here will endanger Dr. Guthrie, that I want to avoid at all cost. “The cyborg walked closer to the bounty hunter. “Besides my scan on all your present armaments shows you have nothing on you that can remotely do me any harm. “
“Well that because it’s not his job harm you, his was just to get your attention by drawing you out. “The Mole stepped into the room lifting up two heavy duty plasma blasters. “Trust me tin head, Marvel went easy on you the first time both of you met. As for me, I never go easy on anyone. Just twitch a finger, just any reason for me to fry you and you colleague. “
“A plasma blast may cause me pain but will do little else to me. “ the cyborg’s voice resonates as he turned to face The Mole.
“There you are wrong metal junk. These may look like plasma blasters, but they have some modifications in them specifically tailored for you. It will cause you pain at first, then hurt you real bad and then fry you. “
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 12:48pm On Feb 24, 2017
Words stopped been exchanged, just the quiet humming of activated energy weapons dissipate the silence. The tension within the enclosed space kept mounting.
“Please we are not your enemies, we were betrayed by our employers. “ Dr. Guthrie came to stand Marvel pleading with his eyes. “We are fighting back to stop the corporations, they have some very dangerous plans. “
“Stand down Mole. “ Marvel said after allowing the tension to linger on a little more. “The cyborg as much as raise an eyebrow, slice him to pieces. “
“Will gladly do that “ The Mole said as he lifted the guns up. He whispered something under his breath to the micro com link to Hardwire.
“Hey tin head seems you no longer suffer from your pains. “ Marvel called out to the cyborg.
“Ah that will be my work. “ Dr. Guthrie said. “The pain results from his brain and nervous system rejecting the grafting of the micro circuitry. Also with the attached CPU and connected power source, there are too many information for the brain to sort through, hence the pains. I also discovered that the trauma of his death had created in Dr. Bryant’s mind a steady loop that continues to relive that moment. “
“His death? Are you telling me this is Dr. Bryant? “
“Yes or at least all that was left of him that I could still keep alive. “ Dr. Guthrie said laying a hand gently on the cyborg as it powered down and the arms morphed back into robotic hands. “ When the place he was working in blew up his body was torn apart. I was quick on the scene to save most of his head, heart and lungs. “
“And how did you escape unscathed since both of you were working together? “Marvel asked the doctor.
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 12:50pm On Feb 24, 2017
“Well I suspected for a long time that the corporations we work for will one day want to eliminate us because of the sensitive nature on what we are working on. It is something they will want to keep a secret by all means. “ Guthrie sighed sorrow filed his face. “I tried to warn Dr. Bryant several times but he didn’t believe. Anyway I took steps to always get myself protected at all times. The day the facility we were in blew up, I say the explosives shortly before it went off but I already have an energy shield belt I created for such a time. I activated it before the place went up. There was no time to reach him on time. “
So how come you were about to saved his severed body parts? “
“Quite simple Mr. Marvel, I kept the parts still intact in a portable stasis bubble. It stopped the rate of decay and kept the brain cell in suspension till it was time to be grafted into the cybernetic body I created. It was a painstaking process and caused him enormous pains, it was a torture to him, his brains rejected the grafting several times. If I had held back just a bit, he would really have died. I did all I can to keep him alive. “ His shoulders sagged as if all the weight of the world rested on his shoulders. I doubt if this is much of a life to him. Though the successful integration of cybernetics and living tissue was in itself a scientific breakthrough, my whole life’s dream but I couldn’t rejoice about it. Wish it were under a different circumstance. “
Marvel perched on a disused console and asked the doctor, “What’s going on? What’s all these about? “
The doctor shook his had sadly took a long look at the cyborg before replying. “It’s all about an object both I and Dr. Bryant agreed to call an Ion Crystal. “
“I’ve heard that from the cyborg before, what is an Ion Crystal? “
“It started with some about forty asteroid miners. A particular asteroid was discovered that was moving at an erratic path, not caught any gravity well of the bigger space bodies. When the miners got on the asteroid, the discovered a huge crater, inside the crater was the remains of a crashed space ship. “
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 12:51pm On Feb 24, 2017
At the point the elderly doctor stopped and looked at the bounty hunter with eyes pleading for understanding.
“The crashed ship wasn’t of human origin. “
“That is not possible, in all the worlds humans have visited among the stars, there have never been discovered any sentient life forms. “
“Don’t be naïve Mr. Marvel, if we have seen low life indigenous life forms, it was a matter of time before we get to meet an intelligent ones. “
“Still as a doctor you should have been skeptical when you heard that. “
“So I was not till I got to the crash site myself and examined the wreckage myself. I discovered some amazing and… disturbing things. “ Here the doctor sat down on the only chair in the room, his shoulders sagged and head bowed as if a heavy weight was placed on him. “The material the crashed ship was made from is nothing known to human, trust me I work with exotic metals and alloys, I have seen it all. But this was different. The design was a totally alien concept to human. From my studies of the wreckage, I discovered that the makers of it could be humanoid in appearance or at least bipedal. That discovery interested me greatly. Imagine an intelligent humanoid beings capable of interstellar traveling. From the little I could detect, they have a more advance technology that we presently possess. It was during an investigation into the ship’s power source, I discovered it. The Ion Crystal. “
The doctor touched several keys on the console, the cyborg image disappeared and was replaced by a glowing rock, giving our white light with bluish tint. “That is the Ion Crystal. “ said the doctor pointing at it. “initially we didn’t know it was for, later I discovered it is a source of raw convertible power. It gives of clean energy without the spill over waste and pollution. The energy is so malleable, it can be harnessed into multiple use. I got to know about all these later. “

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 1:03pm On Feb 24, 2017
Shaking his head sadly he continued. “Though I and Dr. Bryant were excited by the discovery, he was the one that conducted most of the successful research on the object and made most of the discovery I later modified, I had this constant concerns. Me and Dr. Bryant made a discovery that heightened my concerns the more. We noticed that the Ion Crystal wasn’t natural but was engineered. My worry was if there is a race powerful enough to build something like this, earth government should be made to be aware so humans can be prepared incase these extra terrestrial proof to be hostile. “
Looking towards the cyborg who had remain quite all through the narrative and then at his other two audiences, he continued. “When I brought this up before my employers, they disagreed on the grounds that we don’t have enough evidence to take this to earth government. Though Dr. Bryant shared my concerns somewhat, he was more concerned about completing his research on the object. I would have forgotten about my worries totally if I hadn’t heard the news of the forty asteroid miners who first made the discovery of this all died from various accidents in less than two weeks. That was when I knew that the corporations doesn’t want this to be known. No wonder the secrecy and the far off asteroid where we were isolated during our studies. While trying to find out more, I saw more than I bargained for. “
Hitting another button a different image replaced the crystal on the screen. “This is an exo skeleton suit pattern after my invention. I started this. As a cybernetic expert, wanted to create a kind of suit that can protect its wearers in vacuum and other harsh environment human can’t work in. The project failed, mostly because not portable power source could be created for the mechanical exo skeletal suit. Again, it created too much strain on the users. The first few test subjects used for it all suffered various types of harm. Some died of heart attack, their heart could not carry on the strain working with the suit brings. Others of torn muscles and ligaments. The last group of test subjects died of massive brain damage and became insane after using the suits for less than a minute. I recommended the project be closed down until a portable power source be found. I never knew the corporations continued with the projects sacrificing countless lives. Beyond that I discovered that my project have been modified for military applications, this was totally far from what I intended it to be used for. This means the corporations were going against the law of the earth government .”

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 1:06pm On Feb 24, 2017
The deafening silence in the room reinforced the magnitude of what is on ground. “Before this time I had discovered that the Ion Crystal can be re-engineered to solve the problem we were having with the exo skeletal suits. But seeing the intended use for it, I kept that vital data a secret and I hid the Ion Crystal. I can’t tell if this action was what finally prompted them to silence us, but they arranged for us to be killed in that accident. “
“When I recovered Dr. Bryant head, brains, heart and lungs in from the stasis field, I had already built a new cybernetic body, powered by the Ion Crystal. All it needed was the mind to run it. With the Ion Crystal powering the body, there is no strain on the organic parts. But it took a long painful time for the organic and cybernetic part to fully integrate and function as a whole. “
“Since I suspected the corporations to have something up their sleeves, I sent Dr. Bryant out to find out what it is. All he could get is that the corporations wants to break free from earth. They want to create a situation in which millions of people on earth will be killed then use that as a blackmail and bargaining chip to negotiate for full autonomy and the freedom to build an army. I don’t think they want to stop there. They are looking for ways to create an alliance with this unknown alien race against earth. But nothing about them is known yet. So the corporations are stalled in that area. But my worry is the corporations are planning to kill millions of people but we don’t know how or when and we can’t stop them.”
“Ok I think we have gotten all we came for, Mole time to go. “ Marvel said getting ready to leave.
“Please I don’t know if you can, but the corporations have to be stopped, Trans Terra and Iris Securities most of all. “ The doctor said coming behind him.
“Don’t worry doc, I’ve got that covered. You can continue to stay back in this hole and play with you toy Cyborg. “
“I’m not a toy Mr. Marvel “ said the cyborg after his long silence. “Despite the loss of most part of my organic body, I still retain my full consciousness and mind. Thanks to Dr. Guthrie’s new modifications and improvements, I no longer feel pains. I get all the energy and sustenance from the Ion Crystal. It’s energy is so fluid that it can change its form to feel any energy needs. It doesn’t only supply energy to my cybernetic parts it does same for my organic parts too. “
“Ok tin head, whatever you say. Anyway we are just-“
A loud rumble shook the cave they are in.
“Em what is that? Marvel asked looking at the Doctor.
“It seems one of the perimeters mine just went off. “ Dr. Guthrie said checking the readings on a display. “Something must have set it off. I was even surprised how both of you could get in here with out setting of any of the perimeter outer defenses. “
“We had external help. “ Marvel activated his com link to Hardwire. “Hey what’s happening out there? “
“Just like I expected, the corporate security will discover this place sooner or later, so seems they did sooner. “ Hardwire’s voice sounded through the com link.” The Max2 is well hidden. They came in light, probably not expecting heavy resistance. Two heavy gun boats, two Mantis hover tanks. A large size CH armored personnel carrier and five attack air cars. I think two air cars set off the perimeter mines when they tried to land. “
“Ok Hardwire, you have to clear a part for us, we are coming out. “ Marvel told him.
“Alright boss let me work on it. “

2 Likes

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 24, 2017
I simply can't get enough of this great movie I must say, and truth be told the tempo is not dropping at all and we have no choice than to come back for more.... Nice work Apollux
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by bqlekan(m): 7:04pm On Feb 24, 2017
This is getting interesting, now I get to see the modified max 2 in action. The corporations won't survive this.. Mole, cyborg, marvel, hardwire and dr guthrie..

Good job man
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Jackossky(m): 3:07am On Feb 25, 2017
Don't mess with the mole

Even those guns that was held by the mole..cyborg was afraid Of it.
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Mutaino7(m): 9:43am On Feb 25, 2017
Following bumper2bumper. Op continue the good work. More muse to that exotic brain of yours. Just so you know i too have an Ion crystal so no worry nothing can stop you from finishing what you started except God.
Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 10:01am On Feb 25, 2017
[quote author=Mutaino7 post=54039841]Following bumper2bumper. Op continue the good work. More muse to that exotic brain of yours. Just so you know i too have an Ion crystal so no worry nothing can stop you from finishing what you started except God.[/quote
Lol ok
Well to add a bit info...u haven't heard anything about the Ion Crystal. It is a whole new tale on its own. Trust me, neither Dr. Guthrie and Dr. Bryant have barely scratch the surface of the Ion Crystal.

1 Like

Re: MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) by Apollux(m): 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2017
Hardwire activated the auto target settings on the MAX 2 flyer. Did a passive scan of all the likely targets he will face. The MAX 2 was well packed when it landed. Hardwire choose a tight clearing within the forest to set down below the tall tree. He did a paint adjustment on the body of the flyer, the painting changed from black to dark and light green camouflage, that effectively hid the flyer from those above.
Time to come out of hiding and pounce. He just have to watch it, though non of what he is seeing is remotely a threat to the MAX 2,but he still need to put a hold on so he doesn’t hit his friend with friendly fire. His first two main targets are the gun boats, they are the more heavily armed of all around here.
He switched the flyer’s color back to black, no need for stealth anymore, let them see him coming. The flyer lifted off from its hiding place under a storm of compressed air that blew some of the trees off their deep roots. Checking through the display he located the gun boats, tagged them with a lock on but hold back from firing. He might as well have a little fun. He put on the energy shield, leaving the power level at 35%. Predictably the gun boats must have gotten the warning of locked on through their tac defense system, they turned and attacked. They unleashed several rockets at the flyers direction, out of fire of him firing since he already had locked on them. Hardwire saw the rockets coming and moved very slow as if the flyer had a power problems. The rockets struck the flyer with multiple explosions. Marvel checked the shield’s energy level, it remained at a steady 35%, no singe drain on it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Casting Frankline / My Billionaire Boyfriend / Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.