Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Almost Paradise - Literature (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Almost Paradise (143172 Views)

Wilderness In Paradise (non-fiction) / TRAGIC PARADISE By Idorenyin Matthew / Will You Meet Me In Paradise? The Story Of David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almost Paradise by ruffhandu: 10:32am On Jul 27, 2017
candy:

“Hey...hey...hey...don’t bring that at all” Liz raised her hand to his face as if cautioning a child. “She doesn’t need to breastfeed any baby. The baby has enough Nan 1 as recommended. You want suitors to start running away from her because of some saggy breasts?”

Good job Candy. The bolded should be Ella.
Re: Almost Paradise by rosalieene(f): 3:21pm On Jul 28, 2017
candy please more updates
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 30, 2017
Chapter 35

When she was done with cleaning the house and cooking breakfast, Esther, the maid wiped her hands on the kitchen towel and rushed towards Darasimi’s bedroom. It’s been two weeks since they moved in and she had helped Darasimi with the baby as much as her inexperience in motherhood could. She checked the gold-plated wall clock that hung over the kitchen door and sighed, it was 8:35. She had woken up twenty minutes later than usual and it had reflected in the time it took her to finish her morning chores before going to meet mother and daughter- her two favorite people in the house. She wondered why Darasimi had not called her phone to ask why she was taking so long to come to the room.

As she approached their room, she hastened her steps and smiled. She tapped the door gently as usual, but there was no response. “Still sleeping?” She thought aloud. Pounding harder, she evoked a shallow thud, but no human voice from within, not even Morenikeji’s cry! She turned the knob gently, swinging it inwards silently.

“Aunty Dara! Aunty Dara!” Esther called as she stepped inside, humming a happy tune. The room was one big space, well furnished with a black desk and a rolling chair in a corner, a beautifully crafted bed frame held the soft 5ft mattress. Beige walls, high windows, floor tiles that matched the window blinds. Morenikeji’s empty baby cot sat in one corner of the room. Esther searched the room frantically, calling out Darasimi and Morenikeji’s name. Certain they were not in the room, she closed the door quietly and went searching for them in the living room.

“Where is Darasimi and Morenikeji?” Mama asked, showing no emotions, barely managing to take her eyes off the 42” flat screen TV Ella had gifted her at Darasimi’s insistence.

“Ma, I’ve searched everywhere in her room but they are both not there o.” Esther said. “Please help me call her phone ma.”

The elderly woman picked her phone and dialed her granddaughter’s number. “It’s switched off.” Again, no emotions. Esther sighed heavily and walked briskly to the security house by the gate. Damien the day guard insisted he didn’t see mother and child leave the compound at first.

Then he remembered he had seen her just a few minutes back.

“Ha, she just commot now now o, with baby.” He said finally. “She say she wan go bring visitor from estate gate.”
Esther heaved a sigh of relief. “She for leave baby for me now, ah.” She said and marched back inside, swinging her hips and stepping high, to the amusement of the guard who whistled at the sway of her hips.
“So, where is she?” Her madam asked, now through with the reality show she was watching earlier.

“She went to the estate gate to bring her visitor ma.” Esther replied.

“I’ve warned her against these visitors! What’s so nice about having a child out of wedlock that visitors are thronging the place, invading my privacy!”

“Sorry ma.” The maid curtseyed.

“I have to report her to Isabella. Like father like daughter.” She hissed and waved Esther off. She picked her phone and scrolled to her daughter’s name. Ella picked on the first ring. “ You have to warn Darasimi.” She ranted into the phone in anger and went ahead to narrate how she had been bringing guests into the house. Their conversation ended in three minutes, after Ella promised to take her shopping to ease off the “stress” of taking care of her granddaughter and great-granddaughter. She cringed at the title of great grandma.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 30, 2017
******************************************************************************************

The house had not changed much, but the street had. The change was not unexpected- it’s been over one year since she left the house and its fond memories. Houses had sprang up from the empty plots that scattered around the street, a few uncompleted buildings were now completed and painted, the trees were fewer, the roads dustier. Their compound looked swept, but she couldn’t but notice the shrubs and hedges. Liz’s car was parked at a far corner of the compound, covered in dust, the two rear tyres flat. Morenikeji cried in the baby carrier. She shook her head in sadness.

Quickly, she handed 2 crisp N1,000 notes to the taxi driver that brought her. The cabby fumbled in his pocket for change and handed her a couple of wrinkled, worn out N200 notes- an exact opposite of the crisp notes she gave him.

“E ma worry.” Darasimi waved the wrinkly notes away.

The elderly taxi driver looked at her in awe for a few moments. “Ha, e se un ma. E se. Thank you mummy.” The taxi driver said excitedly. Only few passengers wave N400 change away and they don’t live in this kind of environment. But that’s none of his business. He started the engine of his rickety micra and zoomed off- before she changed her mind and demanded for her change.

She pushed the gate and it caved. Summoning up courage, she took a few steps towards the main entrance. The house looked deserted. Only the light breathing of her baby and her own heartbeat could be heard. She didn’t expect much sound anyway- the house is usually quiet by 9am, except on weekends.

Inside, the sound of a door opening jolted Liz from her sleep. She had stayed up late, getting ready for their planned trip to Lagos. Finally, Dr Deji was scheduled to travel back to the USA to resume back at his former place of work He had pleaded with her to go with him, but she had been reluctant to leave Tobi behind. A part of her also nursed that belief that Darasimi would need her help with the baby. She had named the baby Oluwaseyifunmi, even though she didn’t expect to have any influence on what the baby is called. She was not at the low-key naming ceremony, but she had kept mother and child in her prayers.

She stared toward the front of the house, where she heard the door bang. Unable to see a clear view of the door through the kitchen, she stood up from the couch where she had slept after seeing Tobi off to the gate on his way to school earlier. Then she heard the cry of a baby and an adult voice shushing her. A smile broke in her lips, right from her heart. She recognized the voice. She rushed to the door and opened, her smile turning to a big laugh, then a loud sob as she hugged her daughter and granddaughter.

“Mummy!” Darasimi finally said in an emotion laden voice. She handed the baby to her and wiped her tear-stained face.

“Oluwaseyifunmi!” Liz said through tears. For a moment, she was sure her mind had played a trick on her. Had she actually seen what she most wanted to see? Was Darasimi standing before her, and the baby in her arms? For several minutes she didn’t move. Perhaps she was dreaming, she thought. “Let’s go inside my babies.”

“Where is my brother?” Darasimi asked\before she sat down on her favorite sofa, near the window. Fond memories of the house flooded her mind, blurred only by the missing picture of her father.
“He has gone to school.” Liz said calmly. She had already set up a place to bathe and dress the baby. “By the way, where is the baby’s bag?”
Darasimi sighed sadly. “I…I…ran away from grandma’s house. I couldn’t bring anything so they won’t suspect I was running away. I only have this small bag and a few diapers.”
It was Liz’s turn to sigh. “Ha, I’m scared of your mo…”
“I don’t feel too comfortable calling Mrs Williams my mother. You are my mother and I’m sorry for straying.” She knelt before Liz, who was undressing Seyifunmi. “Besides, I’m an adult.”
“They are bigger than me, Darasimi.” She said sadly.
“You have my support ma, I can no longer be intimidated by her or even my father.”
“Talking about your father, how is he?”
“He’s just there.” Darasimi said, twisting her mouth to show disdain.
“Pinm…pin…pinm.” The loud honking of a car at the gate broke mother and daughter’s catching up moment. Liz rose to her feet, baby in hand, wrapped in her towel.
“Are you expecting anybody?” Darasimi asked.
“Yes, I’m expecting Dr Deji, we are supposed to travel to Lagos together. He is going back to USA tonight.” She said with a hint of sadness in her voice.
“You will miss him, mummy.” Darasimi noted.
“Yes. But I can’t leave you and Seyifunmi at home. I can’t go to Lags with him. I know he’ll understand.’
The impatient honking of the driver jolted them back to reality. “He is getting angry.” Darasimi noted.
“No, he is not the one.” Liz said quietly, brows creased in fear. “ He parks his car across, on the street.”
The atmosphere became tensed as they both raised the window blind to see who was at the gate.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by laraemi(f): 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2017
weldon ma, more pls
Re: Almost Paradise by Pinkfeet: 11:34pm On Jul 30, 2017
thanks for the update but please we want more.
more grease to your elbow.
Re: Almost Paradise by mercyymai(f): 2:12pm On Jul 31, 2017
Thks for the update
Re: Almost Paradise by MrBlock: 5:00am On Aug 03, 2017
candy:

**************************************************************************************************

Chapter Thirty Two

“pin...pin...pin...” A car’s continuous honking brought them back to reality. “WEREY!” The driver of the rickety gulf three taxi shouted at the love birds. “Move your ye ye car out of the way.”

Hahahaha. This really got me. Candy is one hell of an awesome writer. #respect.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 03, 2017
MrBlock:

Hahahaha. This really got me. Candy is one hell of an awesome writer. #respect.
Thanks man!

Update loading...

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by kajsa08: 11:17am On Aug 03, 2017
candy:
Thanks man!
Update loading...
yay! can't wait.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 05, 2017
Chapter 36

“Yomi, this is the document I told you about.” Otunba handed a blue folder with the inscription ‘private’ written boldly on it in black ink.
“And you said you found it in your room?”
“Yes, our room…but Ella’s closet. She hid it in a weekend box she kept in a corner there…I bet she forgot to lock it.”
“Ore mi…what were you looking for exactly?” Barrister Yomi said with a big smile. “You think she can hide your vehicle documents that far?”
Otunba sighed deeply, his face drawn in a deep frown. “Ella had sold all the cars, except the suv. I just don’t want her to sell my car.”
“But the car is registered in your name! Just tell her you want to travel with the car.”
“You don’t know my wife…” He said.
“I do. I know your wife and she’s not Ella! Ella is not your wife, ore.”
Otunba ran his hand through his shiny skin cut hair. He had been through a lot in the hands of the woman he had come to love and hate so much. The one woman he had sworn to scorn, now his benefactor. She had almost stripped him naked of everything she gave him. First, the money stopped coming, the affection declined, she sold the three luxirious cars he drove at will in the house, the affection seized; she flaunted her boy toys before him, calling them drivers, cleaners, business associates. Yomi’s voice brought him back from his deep thoughts. “What did you say?”
“Ore, you have to take things easy o.” He had been very angry with his friend for maltreating Liz, but the bond of friendship between them won’t permit him to stay angry at his childhood friend for so long. Immediately Otunba called him earlier to express his shock over the content of the file he found in Ella’s closet, he had askedhim to bring it over immediately.
Otunba stood up from one of the visitors’ seats he occupied in Yomi’s office and walked towards the window, taking in everything in the office. The office had not changed much from the last time he stepped inside the office. The same secretary, slightly more obnoxious. Same furniture-slightly worn. A new family portrait sat comfortably in the cheap frame on the same spot on his desk- just that the smiles on their faces are bigger and genuine. Same floor carpet- though a good part of it is now covered with a fancy Arabian rug that almost successfully covered the threadbare carpet that can only be noticed by a keen observer. On the contrary, Barrister Yomi looked good from his nicely shaved hair to his crisp white shirt, down to his designer grey pants and expensive looking pair of Italian leather brogues. Otunba looked at himself and shook his head. Unlike his friend, he had a fancy office that he hardly visited, a big car that he hardly drove, a trophy live-in-lover as cold as ice, children he no longer saw, a big house with so many restricted areas and a bank account that’s almost empty. He shook his head once again in self pity. But can the Elizabeth mentioned in the document be his own Liz? He doubted.
Otunba flipped through the documents in the folder, his frown getting deeper with each page. At the end, he placed the folder on his table and banged the table hard with his fist, tossing the folder to the far corner of the table in the process. Otunba quickly picked the folder before it spilled its content.

“Did you see what I saw? What do you think?” He querried his friend eagerly.
Barrister Yomi sighed and stood up. His turn to stand by the window. “I think it’s the same Liz.”
“Her father was Chief Williams?” He asked in shock. “She never mentioned it! In fact, she and her mother told me her father passed when she was 3 months old. Bloody liars.” He said in disgust.

“What if she didn’t know either? What if her mother lied to her for a reason? What if it’s a case of mistaken Identity on Ella’s part?” Yomi tried to be the reasonable one there. He walked back to his seat and called his secretary from the white intercom that stood menancingly on his small office table- the only upgrade to the office. “Come here.” He said into the receiver, “I need you to run some copies for me downstairs.”
“What happened to your photocopier?” Otunba asked, wondering why his secretary can’t just run the copies in her office. At last the last time he was here, there was one in his office. “I am not comfortable with your secretary running the copies- this is cofidential!”
“My copier is faulty…besides, she’s a confidential secretary…” He smiled and Otunba smiled for the first time since he found the document.
The secretary came in but Yomi waved her off , “Don’t worry. I will do it on my way to town.”

“Ok sir.” She said and left the office.
“Thank you .” Otunba said as she shut the door behind her. “I just don’t want this to be public knowledge.”
Barrister Yomi cleared his table, shut down his computer and picked his brown briefcase. “Let’s make copies of this documents, you need to return the folder exactly the way you found it. We’ll do our investigations with the copies.”
Otunba rose to his feet and muttered a ‘thank you.’

3 Likes

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 05, 2017

Otunba stared blindly at the navy blue SUV that just dropped Ella downstairs. He had spent most of the day in the private suite he shared with her. He watched Ella walk to the driver’s side. The security light shone directly on the driver’s young, handsome face. His body cringed when he saw her kiss him on the lips. Once a hoe, always a hoe, he said angrily under his breath. He watched the driver as he waved her goodbye and drove through the wide open gate. He shook his head and swore under his breath. He left the window and flung his worn out body on the king sized bed. His phone rang continuously but he was too weak to pick the call. It took all of his will power to restrain the tears that threatened to break. Wondering how they got to that level, he summoned up courage and sat up on the bed. Getting into a pair of jeans became a tedious work for him in his troubled frame of mind. Finally, dressed in a pair of Calvin Klein Jeans and a matching Calvin Klein shirt, he walked downstairs, still in low spirit. Confronting Ella was out of the question and that scared him the most. He had since become the man without balls. Before leaving the room, he checked Ella’s closet to ensure that the weekend box was rightly placed just the way he found it earlier. Satisfied, he left the room and went downstairs.

“Hi honey!” Ella sprang to her feet when she saw him enter the living room. “ I didn’t know you were back!”

“Yeah, the board meeting was postponed.” He said, and even managed a smile.

“Em…the new driver just dropped me off…” She stammered out an explanation in case he saw her. Not that she was scared of him, but she still needed him by her side.

“I saw him drop you off, I was by the window in the room.” He told her.
“Good evening sir, welcome ma.” Blessing, th new live-in-maid greeted, setting a tray of juice before them, a mischevious smile lurking at the corner of her mouth. A new topic of gossip for the domestic staff. She poured some juice inside the glass cups and set the cups on the coffee table before them.
“What are you still waiting for? Olofofo!” Ella challenged her. Blessing left the living room with the speed of light at the sound of Ella’s voice.
“Please, I’ll like to travel with the Camry tomorrow…” He started, but she cut him short.
“…you can’t go with the Camry, baby. I asked Debo to take it for servicing. But you can go with the SUV.” She offered instead.
“I noticed it’s not here as well. But I really don’t think it’s right for Debo to take my car to his workshop without notifying me…It’s not just right.”
He said with a frown, his best attempt at being the man in the relationship. If only he can lay his hands on the documents, he thought.
Ella moved closer to him and gave him a light playful punch on the ribs. He cringed at her touch at first, then she moved closer and rubbed his stomach with her beautifully manicured fingers. She ran her other hand through his hair and pouted her lips invitingly. Her off-shoulder ankara dress exposed a good part of her breasts, revealing a pair of beautiful firm breasts. The dress stopped right above the knees, revealing a pair of beautiful long legs. She felt his body respond to her touch and she smiled.

“You can take the SUV. Let’s go upstairs.” She pulled his hands and led him upstairs, he followed sheepishly. She knew she could always get him. The car was not at the mechanic’s, but was under special use at the moment. She planned to sell it off after.

********************************************************************************

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by FameG(f): 11:59am On Aug 05, 2017
Just stumbled on this story. Beautifully written script. Big ups to you Candy
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 05, 2017
FameG:
Just stumbled on this story. Beautifully written script. Big ups to you Candy
Thanks.
Re: Almost Paradise by Oyindawealth(f): 12:37pm On Aug 05, 2017
Nice story.... D updates are interesting as usual... Still following. Weldone, Candy!!!
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2017
Women!!!

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by mercyymai(f): 3:25pm On Aug 05, 2017
Thks..... Looking forward for more
Re: Almost Paradise by kajsa08: 3:37pm On Aug 05, 2017
beautiful update candy, but can you make otunba suffer more? i feel his punishment is too light and he might not learn his lesson.
Re: Almost Paradise by nikz(f): 4:59pm On Aug 05, 2017
Weldone candy!
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2017
kajsa08:
beautiful update candy, but can you make otunba suffer more? i feel his punishment is too light and he might not learn his lesson.
The thunder that will fire him is still loading smiley

But if he change n ko?
Re: Almost Paradise by Abidx22(m): 7:30am On Aug 07, 2017
More ink to your pen candy, love the beginning of trouble for otunba. Sensing a give and take ending to this story. I hope not for a mild tragic scenario.
All the same, thumbs up candy!! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Almost Paradise by DrClemzzY(m): 5:52pm On Aug 07, 2017
Wow! Nice one Candy.
Just started dis story today...
BTW. Evajael, wizsolzy, ikombe, queenitee. dis story dey on since, una no even say make una invite me.
Una do me bad thinq o
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 8:43pm On Aug 07, 2017
DrClemzzY:
Wow! Nice one Candy.
Just started dis story today...
BTW. Evajael, wizsolzy, ikombe, queenitee. dis story dey on since, una no even say make una invite me.
Una do me bad thinq o

Bros no vex..me nd ikombe kush we come forget to call u

2 Likes

Re: Almost Paradise by DrClemzzY(m): 11:35am On Aug 09, 2017
wizsolzy:

Bros no vex..me nd ikombe kush we come forget to call u
ok...
Buh una still no try o. Una don forqet say me dey kush.
Abeq qimme one jumbo make i follo una jellof
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 11:39am On Aug 09, 2017
DrClemzzY:

ok...
Buh una still no try o. Una don forqet say me dey kush.
Abeq qimme one jumbo make i follo una jellof

Oya take

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by DrClemzzY(m): 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2017
wizsolzy:
Oya take
my niqqa! Ur head dey dere
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 5:33pm On Aug 09, 2017
DrClemzzY:

my niqqa!
Ur head dey dere

sure grin grin grin grin
Re: Almost Paradise by BlissfulJeff(m): 7:59am On Aug 10, 2017
nice update
Re: Almost Paradise by Skimpledawg(m): 9:01am On Aug 10, 2017
Nice one candy, nice one cool
Re: Almost Paradise by Lolaabokoku(f): 9:45am On Aug 12, 2017
e don Tay
Re: Almost Paradise by Nkysuccess(f): 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2017
Candy how far nah pls update
Re: Almost Paradise by mercyymai(f): 5:25pm On Aug 16, 2017
Miss Candy..... How far naw?

No show?

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Nigerian Story - Chocolates And Sushi / The Carpenter, The Witch And The Mysterious Mirrow / Black Maria 4 (Nemesis)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.