Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: (820 Views)

UN Invites BIAFRA Group To June Meeting / Nigerian Group 'muslims Against Terror' Denounce ISIS, Boko Haram / History Of Lawrence Anini,a Notorious Armed Robbers In Early Eightiesm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by babapupa: 1:14am On Dec 03, 2009
Lagosians are always on the JOB,

(AFP) – 12 hours ago

LAGOS — A Nigerian group said Tuesday it would next week mobilise over 5,000 volunteers to give a notorious slum in the centre of Lagos, the country's commercial hub, a facelift.

"On Saturday December 12, 2009, over 5,000 volunteers, will converge on Mushin local government area of Lagos State to paint seven selected streets in the area in an unprecedented community development initiative," project coordinator Fela Durotoye said in a statement here.

He said the initiative tagged "Mushin Makeover" would be a one-day exercise involving painting of houses and roadside curbs as well as structures along the most noticeable and eye-catching parts of the community, notorious for its dusty and dirty look, high crime rate and over-crowding.

Durotoye said volunteers from all walks of life -- entertainment, security agencies, students, traders, professionals and business and corporate class -- would participate in the beautification project.

He said the project being organised by Visible Impact, a non-profit making organisation, has the support of the state government because it fits into its ongoing megacity programme.

Lagos, Nigeria's most populous city with somewhere between 15 and 17 million people, has decided to overhaul its image.

Governor Babatunde Fashola said a trip he made to Singapore before becoming governor in 2007 gave him a model on which to base his transformed megacity.

He said focus has been put on revamping the transportation and road sector, improving waste management and water provision, property development and the environment.

Copyright © 2009 AFP.
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by babapupa: 1:15am On Dec 03, 2009
The true spirit of Lagos and Lagosians in action,

We'll get there for sure, it's just a matter of time,

Eko o ni baje o,
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by Nobody: 1:22am On Dec 03, 2009
does this group have a website or contact info?

I'd like to join them next time I'm in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by babapupa: 1:31am On Dec 03, 2009
tpia.:

does this group have a website or contact info?

I'd like to join them next time I'm in Nigeria.

Register and donate paint here-

http://www.gemstone2025.org/content/blogcategory/13/48/

Facebook group-

http://www.facebook.com/feladurotoye
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by Nobody: 1:44am On Dec 03, 2009
thanks wink
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by Nobody: 1:55am On Dec 03, 2009
great project btw.

Hope bad belle people dont pour cold water on it.
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by alias64: 2:58pm On Dec 03, 2009
Great. There should be more self-help stuff going on in Nigeria. In Jamaica there used to be something similar, only more regular – I think yearly - called Labour Day, origins in America

the poor don’t have to live in degrading conditions
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by blacksta(m): 3:09pm On Dec 03, 2009
another opportunity for some people to chop - trust Nigerians - 28,000 000 for Paint - Why not use that money to build health centres around the town where it will have a lasting effect -
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by SkyBlue1: 3:15pm On Dec 03, 2009
blacksta:

another opportunity for some people to chop - trust Nigerians  - 28,000 000 for Paint - Why not use that money to build health centres around the town where it will have a lasting effect -

It is a NGO and you do not need to join them. They are not using government money and they are free to do what they want with their funds, as long as their members agreed to it and those donating knew what the fund was going into. Why not give us a quote for how much a bucket of paint costs in Nigeria and compare it with the stretch of streets and the number of buildings they want to paint? That way we can tell you know what you are talking about.
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by Nobody: 3:23pm On Dec 03, 2009
Realy nice initiative
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by tarano: 8:13pm On Dec 03, 2009
I Love my country

Nigeria must sweet again, even Wole Soyinka sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a73wSaXE3VM
Tunji Oyelana & His Benders - I Love My Country / Chairman
Re: Nigerian Group To Facelift A Notorious Lagos Slum: by sjeezy8: 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2009
wande coal get your yansh there now

(1) (Reply)

New Words Just Added Into The Nigerian Oxford Dictionary / Egypt:why We’ve Not Acted On Yarima’s Marriage To Minor / How To Smuggle Cocaine Without Getting Caught?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.