Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,915 members, 7,828,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs (20342 Views)

Saraki Asks State Assemblies To Block Pension Of Ex Governors / Ijaws Blame Outsiders For Agitations To Cause Disturbance In Edo State / UTME Registration: Cyber Café Owners Want Senate To Investigate New JAMB Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by Mobsync(m): 11:13pm On Feb 03, 2017
bakila:

Who is the Commander in Chief of The Armed Forces?

Every president is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of his country. Every president is directly in charge of the armed forces of his country but not the police, customs, immigration and other paramilitary agencies. These agencies have more autonomy from the president. They are also led by people already in the system and not outsiders.

The appointment of Ali is more of a political move than an anti-corruption move. The same thing too with whoever is in charge of NIMASA. These are professional organizations for God's sake. The Customs is more than just revenue generation.

If the presidency was so concerned about stopping corruption in the Customs, then they could have installed Ali as the head of whichever organization oversees the Customs, just as we have the Police Service Commission overseeing the police.

But bringing a non-Customs officer as the head of the Customs has been taken too far.

Would the same government appoint a non-military person to head any of the three arms of the military because they are corrupt?

The answer is no.

The Customs should not be under the supervision of an army officer.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by uvalued(m): 2:36am On Feb 04, 2017
oxygen247:
Ali is a mistake just like Buhari....
agreed

Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by bakila: 6:56am On Feb 04, 2017
Mobsync:

Every president is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of his country. Every president is directly in charge of the armed forces of his country but not the police, customs, immigration and other paramilitary agencies. These agencies have more autonomy from the president. They are also led by people already in the system and not outsiders.

The appointment of Ali is more of a political move than an anti-corruption move. The same thing too with whoever is in charge of NIMASA. These are professional organizations for God's sake. The Customs is more than just revenue generation.

If the presidency was so concerned about stopping corruption in the Customs, then they could have installed Ali as the head of whichever organization oversees the Customs, just as we have the Police Service Commission overseeing the police.

But bringing a non-Customs officer as the head of the Customs has been taken too far.

Would the same government appoint a non-military person to head any of the three arms of the military because they are corrupt?

The answer is no.

The Customs should not be under the supervision of an army officer.

You have a point there. Can you please direct me to the Law that stipulates that the CG of Customs must be in the service and that the President has no discretion on who to appoint. I am not joking nor nairalanding.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by Summer7: 7:04am On Feb 04, 2017
Let's chase thoses crazy politicians who do not do any research to come out with articulate policy that will stand the test of time. They say one thing today tomorrow they too counter it yet they bleed the nation dry with fat wages and allowances for doing just nothing for the people .
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by Mobsync(m): 8:10am On Feb 04, 2017
bakila:

You have a point there. Can you please direct me to the Law that stipulates that the CG of Customs must be in the service and that the President has no discretion on who to appoint. I am not joking nor nairalanding.

To be frank with you, I cannot even direct you to the law that states the army should be led by an army officer. But here's an article regarding the issue. https://www.thecable.ng/fg-gazette-raises-questions-alis-appointment-customs-comptroller-general
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by Ijaya123: 8:40am On Feb 04, 2017
ogologoamu:

Is this a display of foolishness?

That is what you have displayed by that comment.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by freeze001(f): 9:27am On Feb 04, 2017
There probably isn't any to point to now and that's why the news or op is about the Senate trying to 'remedy that error'.

bakila:

Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by bakila: 9:30am On Feb 04, 2017
freeze001:
There probably isn't any to point to now and that's why the news or op is about the Senate trying to 'remedy that error'.

Which means that the President acted lawfully.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by freeze001(f): 9:35am On Feb 04, 2017
bakila:

Which means that the President acted lawfully.

By the 'silence' of the Customs Act on appointment of the CG, he is allowed to do what he is done but by procedural administrative law, he ought to have appointed one from a rank not lower than DCG ie within the system.

It is also odd that the current CG is happy to receive all emoluments and allowances from a paramilitary agency but refuses to abide by the rules of appearance because he suddenly remembers he's a retired Army officer. It's got to be all or nothing, there cannot be 2 rules otherwise there'd be chaos.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by obailala(m): 11:48am On Feb 04, 2017
highrise07:
a civilian can never head the police force , why should a bloody civilian head the customs
The man is an ex-military man, once military, always military.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 12:39pm On Feb 04, 2017
Newbiee:
Their grudges with this guy is not about uniform, but for the man's hard stance against corruption, I believe the committee presumed to be once a juicy committee and the taste of every senator is now becoming detested because this man on corruption is harder than Baba himself. Ask who knows this guy, you will hear who is Hamed Ali. See who they are meeting with, if you forgot, Bello Haliru was the former CG of customs that went to court on wheel chair forming ill because of corruption charges against him.
Nigerians should please reason with Baba and give all the support he need to at least reduce this impunity.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by bakila: 10:04pm On Feb 04, 2017
freeze001:

By the 'silence' of the Customs Act on appointment of the CG, he is allowed to do what he is done but by procedural administrative law, he ought to have appointed one from a rank not lower than DCG ie within the system.

It is also odd that the current CG is happy to receive all emoluments and allowances from a paramilitary agency but refuses to abide by the rules of appearance because he suddenly remembers he's a retired Army officer. It's got to be all or nothing, there cannot be 2 rules otherwise there'd be chaos.
Bros there is something called "expressio unis est exclusio alterius". I think it applies to the case at hand because since the Customs Management Act speaks, general Adminstration Law cannot cover the field.
Thank you for agreeing it is Lawful and for your insight on administrative law perspective. That fiels is general for public I think.

1 Like

Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by freeze001(f): 7:18am On Feb 05, 2017
bakila:

Bros there is something called "expressio unis est exclusio alterius". I think it applies to the case at hand because since the Customs Management Act speaks, general Adminstration Law cannot cover the field.
Thank you for agreeing it is Lawful and for your insight on administrative law perspective. That fiels is general for public I think.

Sis please, not bros. Thanks
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by bakila: 10:27am On Feb 05, 2017
freeze001:

Sis please, not bros. Thanks
OK sis.
Re: Senate To Block ‘outsiders’ From Heading Customs by rhames(m): 11:12am On Feb 05, 2017
Newbiee:
Their grudges with this guy is not about uniform, but for the man's hard stance against corruption, I believe the committee presumed to be once a juicy committee and the taste of every senator is now becoming detested because this man on corruption is harder than Baba himself. Ask who knows this guy, you will hear who is Hamed Ali. See who they are meeting with, if you forgot, Bello Haliru was the former CG of customs that went to court on wheel chair forming ill because of corruption charges against him.
Nigerians should please reason with Baba and give all the support he need to at least reduce this impunity.

Ali Netanyahu was his nickname as MILAD Kaduna in 1998. He sacked thirty thousand civil servants then and the whole nation criticised his style of leadership. He earned his nickname as a result of His no compromise action b refusing to restore those same civil servants.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Issues 7-day Ultimatum.. / Samuel Askia's Police Guards Beat Victor Eterigho To Coma To Retrieve Car Gift / Shagari’s Grandson, Bello Declares Abuja Council Chairmanship Ambition (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.