Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,049 members, 7,818,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread (44028 Views)

Poll: Which team will win the 2010 African Cup of Nations?

Nigeria: 46% (114 votes)
Ivory Coast: 24% (61 votes)
Ghana: 6% (15 votes)
Cameroon: 6% (17 votes)
Angola: 1% (4 votes)
Algeria: 0% (0 votes)
Egypt: 13% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

AFROBASKET2015 FINAL: Nigeria Vs. Angola 74 - 65 On 30th August 2015 / African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Most Successful National Teams In Africa Nations Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Sauron1: 3:59pm On Jan 09, 2010
ayusman16:

This is sad. O Africa! The land of milk and honey! grin

The land of tears and sorrow. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by ayusman16(m): 4:02pm On Jan 09, 2010
If na for Naija e happen them for don blow am out of poportion. Other countries commit worse acts.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by mukina2: 4:06pm On Jan 09, 2010
FBS:

But Togo midfielder Alaixys Romao told French paper L'Equipe: "We're talking to the other teams in our group to try to convince them to boycott too."

I do not think the other teams will.
Ivory Coast and Burkina wont, i wonder who will want to replace Togo. undecided

I hope no one shoots my Yaya oh sad

this thing sef scary.

now Militants have carried their shooting practice to footballers.

[s]Some one said he wished they had shot adebayor's legs[/s] shocked i read it on a football site few mins ago.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by twinstaiye(m): 4:12pm On Jan 09, 2010
I want to believe South Africa will be too willing to replace Togo as most of their national team players are home based
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by FBS: 4:13pm On Jan 09, 2010
mukina2:

I do not think the other teams will.
Ivory Coast and Burkina wont, i wonder who will want to replace Togo. undecided

I hope no one shoots my Yaya oh sad

this thing sef scary.

now Militants have carried their shooting practice to footballers.

[s]Some one said he wished they had shot adebayor's legs[/s] shocked i read it on a football site few mins ago.
Now we know the them A.s.s.nal fans. lipsrsealed
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by mukina2: 4:17pm On Jan 09, 2010
twinstaiye:

I want to believe South Africa will be too willing to replace Togo as most of their national team players are home based
I think Caf will get one of the best third place finishers undecided

FBS:

Now we know the them A.s.s.nal fans. lipsrsealed
sharraaaaap tongue i only posted what i saw tongue

i repeat again make persin nor use my yaya's life play oh sad
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by marutimon: 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2010
South Africa is having a camp of local players, so I guess all they would have to do is quickly relocate with their local players, who were being tested for WC 2010. A golden opportunity for them in tragic circumstances,
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by harmeenut: 4:40pm On Jan 09, 2010
so sad.Assistant coach, reporter & goal keeper now dead.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by harmeenut: 4:45pm On Jan 09, 2010
Togo withdraw from ANC as death toll increases
January 9, 2010
Comment
Email
Print
Togo have withdrawn from the African Nations Cup in Angola following the machine gun attack on their team bus on Friday, with the death toll now understood to have risen to four.

GettyImages
Kodjovi Obilale (r) waving to fans after Togo's 2006 World Cup match against France
• Prem bosses want cancellation
• Carter: Attack did irreparable damage
• Paper round: Big shadow over ANC
The team bus was attacked by rebels after crossing the border from the Democratic Republic of Congo into the Angolan enclave of Cabinda ahead of the tournament.
There have been conflicting reports about the identity of those shot, but Togo assistant coach Abalo Amelete and a spokesperson, Stanislas Ocloo, have died along with goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale. The bus driver is also understood to have been killed in the attack.

Kodjo Samlan, a Confederation of African Football (CAF) official, confirmed that Ocloo and Amnalate had died. "Communications chief Stanislas Ocloo and assistant coach Abalo Amnalete died at four o'clock this morning," he said.

Striker Jonathan Ayite confirmed that Obilale, his team-mate at French amateur side Pontivy, had been killed. He was reported to have been taken to hospital in South Africa.

Ayite told French radio station RMC: "He (Obilale) is dead and even if you bring the president and even (Barack) Obama himself, we're leaving immediately, we're going back home. Ghana and the Ivory Coast are in solidarity with us.''

Defender Serge Akakpo, who plays his club football in Romania, was confirmed by his club last night as the other player shot in the attack.

Reports in France suggested early on Saturday that the players had taken the decision not to take part in the competition, which starts on Sunday, and midfielder Alaixys Romao later confirmed they would not take part.

"We're waiting for the plane to return to Lome," the Grenoble player told L'Equipe. "We're also talking to the other teams in our group to try to convince them to boycott the competition, too."
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by bandely(m): 5:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
Pathetic!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by sultan003(m): 5:34pm On Jan 09, 2010
if these useless rebels are threatening to do more than Cabinda is not safe at all. they should either change the venue or cancel the whole tournament (I pity those that will be losing their investments).

On another thought, this tournament was supposed to be awarded to Nigeria but CAF was busy playing politics now see whats happening
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by sultan003(m): 6:16pm On Jan 09, 2010
even though they are figthing for independence does the togo national football team bus look like military bus?
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by HohDee(m): 6:20pm On Jan 09, 2010
wut time is da openin match gonna b playd plsss
9ja time
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by SapeleGuy: 6:28pm On Jan 09, 2010
These greedy people need to cancel the tournament. We love football but it can't be a game of life and death.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by alexitaly: 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2010
egypt will win the cup
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by mendax: 8:15pm On Jan 09, 2010
I don't think they'll b any fair way to replace Togo in the competition. CAF should just go ahea and play the grp wit 3 teams and reschedule their matches. Best 2 go thru
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by honeric01(m): 8:43pm On Jan 09, 2010
Those saying the nations cup should be shifted, suspended or canceled should know that this is not a new thing, it has happened before, in other continents, more developed countries, yet the tournament was not stopped. all Angola need to do is beef up security and they should also try compensating the Togolese team and government.

Munich remembered: 1972 attack led to increased security
scene from Munich

July 27, 1996
Web posted at: 5:30 p.m. EDT

From Sr. Washington Correspondent Charles Bierbauer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Saturday's bombing at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta was not the first time an Olympic Games has been disrupted by an act of terrorism.

In 1972, a Palestinian group known as Black September seized Israeli athletes inside the Olympic village in Munich, leading to the death of 11 Israelis and some of the terrorists.

The lasting image of those Olympic Games is that of a terrorist in a ski mask, and not an athlete in triumph.

In contrast to the Atlanta blast -- a bomb placed in an unsecured public area -- the Munich attack penetrated security and was aimed at the athletes themselves and the nation they represented.
terrorist from 1972 incident

A bright September day turned bleak when the Palestinian group demanded the release of Palestinian prisoners held in Israel in return for the hostages they held in Munich's Olympic Village.

The Israelis said no deal. The Germans talked the terrorists out of the Olympic Village, but disaster followed in a shoot- out at a small airport. In addition to the 11 Israelis, one German policeman and five of eight terrorists died.

Germany's hopes for peaceful games, devoid of politics, died too. But the Olympic spirit was too strong to snuff out.

The games must go on, said then-Olympic President Avery Brundage. And they did.

And now, that determination not to yield to terrorism has been echoed in Atlanta, where International Olympic Committee director general Francois Carrard pledged that the Centennial Olympic Games "will go on."

But there will be a lasting effect. Munich was a watershed. In great measure, it has been since 1972 that the general public has submitted to security searches in airports, arenas and other public events -- and learned to live with the threat of terrorism.

When the ancient Greeks held their Olympiads, they put aside their weapons and political differences, at least for the duration of the games, and competed on even terms.

When terror takes a hand, it doesn't work that way.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9607/27/munich.remembered/
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by rasputinn(m): 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2010
The death toll from the attack on the Togolese team bus keeps mounting;

Two members of Togo's national team delegation and a driver also died following an ambush on the team's bus as it travelled to the African Cup of Nations.

Striker Jonathan Ayite told RMC radio: "Yes, he (Obilale) is dead, as well as our assistant coach (Amalete Abalo) and our press officer (Stanislas Ocloo). All three are dead."
Obilale's death has not been confirmed,I pray he's not dead

This is very sad indeed,a very big shadow will hang over the entire tournament
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by marutimon: 9:33pm On Jan 09, 2010
Ayite is apparently wrong. Unless there is a case of mistaken identities Obilale is fine and recovering at a hospital in South Africa. It could be that the Togo players don't have access to information.

http://goal.com/en/news/815/african-nations-cup/2010/01/09/1735487/breaking-news-togo-goalkeeper-kodjovi-obilale-to-undergo-surgery-
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by rasputinn(m): 9:36pm On Jan 09, 2010
[img][/img]

Togo goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale,is he still alive,dear God please let him be

Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by mukina2: 1:23am On Jan 10, 2010
Serious this is not funny.

why did Caf chose a region with rebel wars near  angry

The competition is not fun anymore, they should suspend or cancel it , till they sort out this or better still move it to another venue.

before this rebels try more shooting practice angry

I do not want anyone to shoot my Yaya angry or darling eboue angry
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by rasputinn(m): 5:44am On Jan 10, 2010
mukina2:

Serious this is not funny.

why did Caf chose a region with rebel wars near angry

The competition is not fun anymore, they should suspend or cancel it , till they sort out this or better still move it to another venue.

before this rebels try more shooting practice angry

I do not want anyone to shoot my Yaya
angry or darling eboue angry

I think I read it somewhere that one Cabinda rebel was seen loitering around Yaya's hotel room lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by rasputinn(m): 5:46am On Jan 10, 2010
Togo Players Make Nations Cup U-turn

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=163816

That would be a very bold move indeed and it will help both CAF and especially the Angolan govt/LOC to save face,nonetheless the dark cloud will still hover over the tourney
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by rasputinn(m): 5:48am On Jan 10, 2010
Thankg God,it's been confirmed goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale is alive and well[img][/img]

Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 5:52am On Jan 10, 2010
Togo's soccer team has decided to play in the African Nations Cup following a deadly attack on the squad, even though its government has withdrawn the side, French sports newspaper L'Equipe reported on Sunday.

L'Equipe quoted midfielder Alaixys Romao as saying the team had agreed to stay in the Angolan enclave of Cabinda for its first Group B match against Ghana on Monday.

"The decision was taken unanimously," said Romao, who plays for French club side Grenoble.

Rebels of the Cabindan separatist group FLEC sprayed the Togolese team bus with gunfire on Friday, killing the driver and wounding nine others. Two members of Togo's soccer delegation died on Saturday and one was undergoing surgery in South Africa.

A Togolese minister said on Saturday that the government had decided to pull the team out of the tournament, which starts on Sunday, because of "this dramatic situation."

But L'Equipe quoted Romao as saying: "We have just had a meeting of the whole delegation and we will be on the pitch on Monday to face Ghana."

Officials of the team and the Confederation of African Football (CAF) were not immediately available for comment.

However, Manchester City said on their website (www.mcfc.co.uk) that their striker Emmanuel Adebayor, Togo's captain, was returning home.

"People have died for the African Nations Cup, others have been injured. We can't let them down and leave like cowards," said Romao.
"If we stay here it's for them but also not to give any satisfaction to the rebels. Our government does not necessarily agree with us but we are all determined to play this competition."

excellent & bold decision by the Togolese & if it is true Adebayor is going back home; then he doesn't deserve to be the skipper of that team or indeed any other.
no matter the outcome of this nation cup for the togolese, they are true & worthy African Kings.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by tkb417(m): 7:52am On Jan 10, 2010
Hey FBS
You haven't joined the nairaland fantasy african nations cup. Oya quick now!
Sagamite you too come and join and show us your managerial competence just like your man amodu

I guess the fantasy thing will still be open before the opening game so oya football guys let's join. Honeric and co. Its for everybody

I posted the link in one of the previous pages

Rasputinn baba oya let's do it
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by sultan003(m): 7:56am On Jan 10, 2010
Thank God that the Goalkeeper is still alive.

http://www.mtnfootball.com/live/content.php?Item_ID=26865
Meanwhile, Hull City boss Phil Brown has put his foot in it again by suggesting the incident in the war-torn Cabinda region of Angola should be a 'red flag' for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

To try and compare the two regions is ridiculous and, quite frankly, highly embarrassing for Brown.

Is this guy mad? how can he compare S.A with Angola.
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Borat1: 12:52pm On Jan 10, 2010
rasputinn:

I think I read it somewhere that one Cabinda rebel was seen loitering around Yaya's hotel room lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

grin grin
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by Okijajuju1(m): 1:10pm On Jan 10, 2010
I know say Nigeria go commot for first round, but I pray osaze wins highest goal scorer. (I know its a funny prayer.)
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by kaypumpin2(m): 1:25pm On Jan 10, 2010
http://goal.com/en-gb/news/2558/news/2010/01/10/1736098/togo-players-unanimously-decide-to-continue-in-african-cup

Togo players unanimously decide to continue in African Cup of Nations

I thought they already pulled out undecided
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by koolchicco: 2:00pm On Jan 10, 2010
Yea they pulled out finally.

Sky news confirmed!!
Re: Africa Nations Cup Angola 2010. The Official Thread by toluxa1(m): 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2010
They are not really sure of what exactly to do but Emmanuel Adebayor just said Togo team will return home.

Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor has told French radio his team will return home from the Africa Cup of Nations following advice from their government.

Although the team initially wanted to leave the tournament after a gun attack on the team killed three people, they then said they would stay on in Angola.

But Togo Prime Minister Gilbert Houngbo insisted the team leave the country for security reasons.

Tournament organisers have said the event will still go ahead as planned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Real Madrid Fans Stunned To See Hazard In Action / Michael Umanyika Dies In Azerbaijan During Training / FG Suspends Basketball In Nigeria For Two Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.