Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup (89833 Views)

Nigerian Vegetable Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Healthy Vegetable Stew / Egg Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Egg Stew For Yam/rice / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Yummy Fried Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by creamylicious(f): 4:37pm On Feb 08, 2017
NameChecker:
Hunger Activated!

Meanwhile, Nairaland babes need to take this thread seriously
As the majority of them don't know how to cook
Introvert
Lady F
Librangyps
creamylicious
loveliss2
Ridens
miblolo
well i just day look ..... i can put condiments together but i can't guarantee that the end product would be finger licking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Abduly13(m): 4:38pm On Feb 08, 2017
very nice soup
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by LebanonCedars2(m): 4:39pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by NameChecker: 4:40pm On Feb 08, 2017
creamylicious:
well i just dey look ..... i can put condiments together but i can't guarantee that the end product would be finger licking

Nice One
At all at all na him bad pass

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 08, 2017
How you take measure the ugu? Na wa for you ooh
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Soljaboi44(m): 4:41pm On Feb 08, 2017
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by UjSizzle(f): 4:54pm On Feb 08, 2017
Is the hot water soaking for the veggies just to rid them of sand? What happened to cold water?
Genuinely confused here.

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by AngelicBeing: 4:59pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
After giving a Nigeria man this thing. [b]If you don't give him fork he will still live u.
Op thank u sha[/b]
grin grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by MrFrigid(m): 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
After giving a Nigeria man this thing. If you don't give him fork he will still live u.
Op thank u sha
lmafao!!!!! that is exactly why those calabar girls can snatch anything
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by ikorodureporta: 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
After giving a Nigeria man this thing. If you don't give him fork he will still live u.
Op thank u sha
....as in.......

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nickymezor(f): 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
asumo12:
VEGETABLE GET CUPS?\\\\ shocked shocked shocked
grin grin
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Icon79(m): 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
Stanleyelege:
Delicious. This delicacy can purge if eaten excessively.

Some of the officers cant even place his face on his songs.

Do u need a shop at Asaba Ultramodern Mechanic Village and Spare parts Market?
check my Signature

Hey, do you have a residential property for sale in Asaba as well?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by wink2015(m): 5:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
The vegetable soup is tantalizing! but I would also like to add my burger to the recipe!

Burgers are an American classic but they're often loaded with fat and calories. The good news is that there are a lot of easy ways to create delicious, low-calorie burger patties.

READ MORE HERE: http://url2it.com/epngac

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Hobat(m): 5:08pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha
man shall not leave by food alone....
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Brainardc(m): 5:10pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nice one op
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by luchee(f): 5:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hmmmm...thickener in vegetable soup? I've never heard of that. If you use the right amount of water in your soup, I don't think you'll be needing any thickner. @Op, soaking your vegetables in hot water is enough to remove the nutritional values. Why not rinse as many times as possible with cold water.

2 Likes

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
I've not had this in my life,but I feel like trying it out,but unfortunately there's no where to get those ingredients over here.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Richy4(m): 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
VastFinder:
Welcome to Vast Kitchen
Edikaikong Soup.

How to Prepare the Nigerian vegetable soup: Ingredients
*. Fresh clean water
*. 1 cup of palm oil
*. 6 cups of ugwu leaf
*. Chicken/Beef/fish
*. 2 spoons of ofor
*. 12 cups of waterleaf
*. 2-3 onion bulbs
*. 500g dried fish
*. 1 cup of grounded crayfish
*. Salt (to taste)
*. Pepper (to taste)
*. 1 cup of periwinkle
*. Stock fish head (medium size)

Soup: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/recipe-how-to-prepare-nigerian.html

Vast Kitchen

What is OFOR please? Does it have an English name...Because I know that Ofor in Igbo means staff of Authority....
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by metallisc(m): 5:23pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by metallisc(m): 5:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
ismokeweed:
Will be better using weed as vegetable.

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by fxbot: 5:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha
you this boy... na wa o. angry
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by ClinicalHope(f): 5:53pm On Feb 08, 2017
dingbang:
grin lol its a thickener, used to thicken soups such as vegetable soup or native soup... Its yellowish in color in the market... Anytime u want to cook vegetable soup, ofor is a very important ingredient..
Hi dingban. Did you say Ofor is very important for Vegetable soup? I have never used it for cooking vegetable soup. This is the 1st time I'm seeing Ofor as one of the ingredients used to cook vegetable soup. I used it only for Oha soup, bitterleaf soup if I don't want to use cocoyam or I use both depend on how thick I want my soup. I will try it out this weekend.
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Joephat(m): 5:54pm On Feb 08, 2017
AshawoGirl:
Op thank u sha

Ashawo girl, I sight you.

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by ClinicalHope(f): 5:55pm On Feb 08, 2017
dingbang:
cmon.. Don't come and embarrass your fellow women folk ...
same here. It's not an embarrassment!
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by dingbang(m): 5:57pm On Feb 08, 2017
ClinicalHope:
same here. It's not an embarrassment!
wow! Don't u visit the market?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by dingbang(m): 5:58pm On Feb 08, 2017
ClinicalHope:
Hi dingban. Did you say Ofor is very important for Vegetable soup? I have never used it for cooking vegetable soup. This is the 1st time I'm seeing Ofor as one of the ingredients used to cook vegetable soup. I used it only for Oha soup, bitterleaf soup if I don't want to use cocoyam or I use both depend on how thick I want my soup. I will try it out this weekend.
urm so how do you now get to thicken ur veg. Soup?
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by giles14(m): 6:00pm On Feb 08, 2017
VastFinder:
Welcome to Vast Kitchen
Edikaikong Soup.

To all 'EFO' famz, how excited you gonna be reading through this Recipe. 'EFO' popularly called by the Yoruba's is a great soup when preparing with appropriate ingredients Required as we would be analysing on it in this Recipe.

There are countless cultures in Nigeria, just so is the diversity of the vegetable soups of different kind. Nigerian Vegetable soup differs from tribe to tribe and the only head way is that some vegetables are more popular than others.

Eforiro, Afang, Edikaikong, etc are some of the popular ones around. These vegetables are the constants in their native kitchens.

As much as we like trying our hands on something different, it wouldn’t be an anomaly for the Yoruba kitchen for example to try out Edikaikong soup, which is themed as a vegetable soup from the east. Follow the instructions below to try the Edikaikong soup at home

How to make Nigerian vegetable soup:
Tools needed

*. Kitchen knife
*. Chopping board
*. 2 bowls (medium/large)
*. Cooking pot
*. Sieve

How to Prepare the Nigerian vegetable soup: Ingredients
*. Fresh clean water
*. 1 cup of palm oil
*. 6 cups of ugwu leaf
*. Chicken/Beef/fish
*. 2 spoons of ofor
*. 12 cups of waterleaf
*. 2-3 onion bulbs
*. 500g dried fish
*. 1 cup of grounded crayfish
*. Salt (to taste)
*. Pepper (to taste)
*. 1 cup of periwinkle
*. Stock fish head (medium size)

How to make Nigerian vegetable soup: Instructions
1. Cut and wash the meat to prepare it for cooking.

2. Parboil the meat, slicing in 2 onion bulbs, seasoning cubes (to taste) and any other spice. Cook till meat is almost soft for consumption.

3. Boil water and wash the stock fish, removing the sand and other particles, then add to the meat on fire.

4. Rinse the vegetables in cold water and slice it into separate bowls (the water leaf aside and the ugwu aside).

5. Pour hot water into the bowls to soak the leaves for at least 3 minutes, then sieve out the leaves and throw away the water.

6. Repeat the process until you are sure there is no more sand.

7. Add 1 cup of palm oil to the boiling meat on fire, add salt and pepper to taste.

8. Cook for 6-10 minutes, until there is very little traits of water.

9. Add grinded crayfish, periwinkles, a spoon of grinded ofor (sprinkled) and stir.

10. Leave to cook for 4-5 minutes.

11. Add the water leaf, stir very well and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the ugwuleaf and stir.

12. Leave to simmer for 3 minutes.

13. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool off.

Your Edikaikong soup is ready to be served with your favourite solid meal, be it Eba, Wheat, Semo, Pounded yam or Fufu.

Notes
*. Overcooking your vegetables doesn’t only make it overly soft; it also makes it lose its nutritional value. So be careful with the timing.
*. This procedure is for the Edikaikong soup in particular and the procedure cannot be substituted for another vegetable soup.

Soup: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/recipe-how-to-prepare-nigerian.html

Vast Kitchen
since when ofe manu pple start chop ugwu. come even put stockfish
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by blesoh(f): 6:13pm On Feb 08, 2017
Soak vegetable in hot water? Abasi mi mbok, idogoh etok nmkpo,
Who does that, nawaoh. Please can vegetable be measured in cups? Biko am just curious
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Enoquin(f): 6:14pm On Feb 08, 2017
Ofor in Edikaikong ke? How would an Oha soup taste if I decide to add Uyayak? undecided
Also, for someone who pointed out not cooking the leaves for too long so as not to lose its nutritional value, it is surprising that you washed your leaves 'after' slicing. Wash your leaves thoroughly, then slice
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by Sleekbaby(f): 6:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Veg. soup doesn't need thickner just use little quantity of water to cook your meat that's all.

Op did a very nice job but washing veg. with hot water is strange to me and also measuring of veg. with cup

1 Like

Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by hardon1(m): 6:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
this poster no sabi anything. wetin ofor dey find for veg. soup,

when did they start measuring ugwu and water leaf in cups. you recipe would prepare jujutable soup, not vegetable soup
Re: Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Vegetable Soup by blesoh(f): 6:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
dingbang:
urm so how do you now get to thicken ur veg. Soup?
This is edikang ikong soup, you don't cook with water, the leaves bring out the water.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The ₦320,000 Cow We Bought In Keffi / What I Ate In A Rich Man’s House VS What I Eat In My House / This Is The Milk I Bought For #89,500 For My Children.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.