Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,277 members, 7,839,381 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? (4793 Views)

Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? / Clark Apologizes For Past Comments & Calls For National Unity / Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Beaf: 10:21pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

One word - expediency.

If we have a Sovereign National Conference, we will have to accept and deal with every item that comes to the table (otherwise we will be dictating peoples "likes" and "deslikes"; that will be seen as an arrogant position).
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 10:24pm On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

Any meaninful discussion must include all options. We must start from do scratch. The 1st question must be - Do we want to live together? If yes how? and on what terms? Only then can we experience sincere progress.

A SNC will not happen anytime soon as long as people insist on including discussions on breaking up the country.  It may be better to start with discussing how to live together peacefully and with equal justice for all.  We've already fought a war to keep Nigeria one.

The smart thing to do, in my view, is to negotiate, rather than try to dictate a suicidal agenda.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by sjeezy8: 10:26pm On Dec 08, 2009
A national conference among Elites and political heads from all parties and regions is not plausible.
It still doesnt and wont change the mind of common Nigerian voters. (who matter the most)
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 10:28pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

A SNC will not happen anytime soon as long as people insist on including discussions on breaking up the country.  It may be better to start with discussing how to live together peacefully and with equal justice for all.  We've already fought a war to keep Nigeria one.

The smart thing to do, in my view, is to negotiate, rather than try to dictate a suicidal agenda.

That to me means postponing the evil days. If the foundation is wrong, whatever we build on it can not stand the test of time.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Pharoh: 10:31pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Why are you against discussing the peaceful separation of the country?
sjeezy8:

A national conference among Elites and political heads from all parties and regions is not plausible.
It still doesnt and wont change the mind of common Nigerian voters. (who matter the most)

It is possible to hold the conference with the right sets of people and not the elites.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 10:31pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

But why is that? Why can not there be a peaceful break-up if some groups want it? What is the point of keeping Nigeria one at all cost? Can we not do a show of hands? Who wants to remain in Nigeria? who wants to opt-out? I strongly believe that all options must be on the table. I am not advocating for the break-up of Nigeria because I believe in Nigeria and its uniqueness but I believe that if some groups want to opt-out, then that option should be there if the discussions at the SNC do not go their way. After all, Czechoslovakiaroke up peacefully.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 10:32pm On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

That to me means postponing the evil days. If the foundation is wrong, whatever we build on it can not stand the test of time.

Some see the glass as half empty while others see it as half full.  I'm afraid I don't share your dooms day scenario.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 10:34pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Some see the glass as half empty while others see it as half full. I'm afraid I don't share your dooms day scenario.

Not exactly, I just don't see why in 2009 we can not ask ourselves the simple question 'Do we want to live together' without going to war.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Beaf: 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2009
sjeezy8:

No, no!
It won't have anything to do with politicians or parties. It will be a grassroots thing, with the people choosing those who will truely represent their interests.
The only problematic bit might be, the mode of choosing the representatives. It will need to be above board (maybe the methods employed for MKO's election could be used).
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by WilyWily: 10:37pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

Why are you Northerners and Westerners afraid of Break up?
We are not one and will never be.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Pharoh: 10:39pm On Dec 08, 2009
Beaf:

No, no!
It won't have anything to do with politicians or parties. It will be a grassroots thing, with the people choosing those who will truely represent their interests.
The only problematic bit might be, the mode of choosing the representatives. It will need to be above board (maybe the methods employed for MKO's election could be used).

That is my thinking as well but i will like to hear how the representation is going to be at the conference?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Beaf: 10:43pm On Dec 08, 2009
Pharoh:

That is my thinking as well but i will like to hear how the representation is going to be at the conference?

It will have to be by ethnic group, so there will be no North or South or West or South South (if any groups form alliances, all well and good). Everybody will answer to the ethnic group and tell us what they want and how they want it. Each vote will have equal weight.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by WilyWily: 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2009
Katsumoto:

But why is that? Why can not there be a peaceful break-up if some groups want it? What is the point of keeping Nigeria one at all cost? Can we know do a show of hands? Who wants to remain in Nigeria? who wants to opt-out? I strongly believe that all options must be on the table. I am not advocating for the break-up of Nigeria because I believe in Nigeria and its uniqueness but I believe that if some groups want to opt-out, then that option should be there if the discussions at the SNC do not go their way. After all, Czechoslovakiaroke up peacefully.
Good words from a Yorubaman
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2009
Katsumoto:

But why is that? Why can not there be a peaceful break-up if some groups want it? What is the point of keeping Nigeria one at all cost? Can we know do a show of hands? Who wants to remain in Nigeria? who wants to opt-out? I strongly believe that all options must be on the table. I am not advocating for the break-up of Nigeria because I believe in Nigeria and its uniqueness but I believe that if some groups want to opt-out, then that option should be there if the discussions at the SNC do not go their way. After all, Czechoslovakiaroke up peacefully.

A peaceful breakup of Nigeria is impractical. The people who have real power in Nigeria (so-called owners of Nigeria), who are from North, South, East, and West, will never agree to give up that power peacefully. They'll rather fight another war.   Anyone that does not understand this is truly ignorant.  

The best we could hope for is to take our country back piecemeal.  These owners of Nigeria are also counting on the fact that those of you who can oppose them will never unite because of tribalism.  These owners are winning - just read the posts in this section.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by sjeezy8: 10:47pm On Dec 08, 2009
Pharoh:

Why are you against discussing the peaceful separation of the country?

It is possible to hold the conference with the right sets of people and not the elites.

Theres no such thing as "peaceful" seperation unless you are talkin about seperating the part of Nigeria with the least amount of oil. Something similar but not exact to becomeriches plan. Those in the North, Fed government and Military get more than 50% of their income from Oil money plain and simple. (try and tell those northern military men no food for you) you think they will break up peacefully?

Elites consists of political elites -  there cannot be a SERIOUS national conference without the likes of Ojukwu, Obj, IBB, Buhari, Tinubu, Atiku and co in one room. . . . Those like Wole Soyinka and co are just mediators and have no political power in Nigeria.  being realistic

Everyone should just relax and let the rotational policy( which i dont agree with) with take place after the East and south south get presidents rigged in from their region Nigeria will be calm and peaceful. After which no one can complain about being marginalized and other excuses.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 10:48pm On Dec 08, 2009
Actually, I do not believe putting all the options on the table in a SNC will lead to breaking up. But even for posterity sake, it must be on record that we agreed to live together. The entity call Nigeria is 100yrs old (since 1909 if am correct) but till date we still believe we were forced together. That impression must change for the good of everyone. Then we can agree on how we want to live together, what kind of federalism we want and on other conditions.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 10:48pm On Dec 08, 2009
Beaf:

No, no!

Don't make me laugh, my brother. SNC a grassroots thing in Nigeria?  most people dey hungry you want make dem organize grassroots operation.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Kobojunkie: 10:51pm On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

Actually, I do not believe putting all the options on the table in a SNC will lead to breaking up. But even for posterity sake, it must be on record that we agreed to live together. The entity call Nigeria is 100yrs old (since 1909 if am correct) but till date we still believe we were forced together. That impression must change for the good of everyone. Then we can agree on how we want to live together, what kind of federalism we want and on other conditions.

I think you should consider the post below again  to maybe understand why having ALL THE OPTIONS on the table right from your first conference may not be as good as you think . . . .

ndu_chucks:

A peaceful breakup of Nigeria is impractical. The people who have real power in Nigeria (so-called owners of Nigeria), who are from North, South, East, and West, will never agree to give up that power peacefully. They'll rather fight another war.    Anyone that does not understand this is truly ignorant. 

I am not sure how many people you know who believe we were FORCED together. I would wait for @Stillwater's poll to even believe the majority of average Nigerians believe that to be the case.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I think you should consider the post below again  to maybe understand why having ALL THE OPTIONS on the table right from your first conference may not be as good as you think . . . .

I am not sure how many people you know who believe we were FORCED together. I would wait for @Stillwater's poll to even believe the majority of average Nigerians believe that to be the case.

Read my post again. I do not believe we will break up, but we must discuss everything.

And was there ever a time we agreed to live together? have we ever answered the question?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 10:57pm On Dec 08, 2009
sjeezy8:

Theres no such thing as "peaceful" seperation unless you are talkin about seperating the part of Nigeria with the least amount of oil. Something similar but not exact to becomeriches plan. Those in the North, Fed government and Military get more than 50% of their income from Oil money plain and simple. (try and tell those northern military men no food for you) you think they will break up peacefully?

Elites consists of political elites -  there cannot be a SERIOUS national conference without the likes of Ojukwu, Obj, IBB, Buhari, Tinubu, Atiku and co in one room. . . . Those like Wole Soyinka and co are just mediators and have no political power in Nigeria.  being realistic

Everyone should just relax and let the rotational policy( which i dont agree with) with take place after the East and south south get presidents rigged in from their region Nigeria will be calm and peaceful. After which no one can complain about being marginalized and other excuses.

ndu_chucks:

A peaceful breakup of Nigeria is impractical. The people who have real power in Nigeria (so-called owners of Nigeria), who are from North, South, East, and West, will never agree to give up that power peacefully. They'll rather fight another war.   Anyone that does not understand this is truly ignorant.  

The best we could hope for is to take our country back piecemeal.  These owners of Nigeria are also counting on the fact that those of you who can oppose them will never unite because of tribalism.  These owners are winning - just read the posts in this section.

This is what I don't get about Nigeria and Nigerians. The leaders we have/had, have no vision, political ideology, mandate, power of oratory, etc but yet they continue to subjugate the lives and wishes of approx. 140 million people. This same SNC we are talking about will result in the same power-sharing cabal representing their people and monopolising the discuss to their selfish interests. Will the SNC representation be different from the representation at Senate and House of Reps?

The problem is not with the leaders; the problem is with the people. That is my conclusion.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Kobojunkie: 11:00pm On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

Read my post again. I do not believe we will break up, but we must discuss everything.

I know what you are saying, but read what he wrote on discussing break up from the start.

On Agreeing to live together, I think the time for such an agreement is long over. We need to focus on the now and beyond! We are together and we have to deal with that at this moment. A national conference that starts with discussions on possible break up, in my opinion, is recipe for failure.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Pharoh: 11:02pm On Dec 08, 2009
Beaf:

It will have to be by ethnic group, so there will be no North or South or West or South South (if any groups form alliances, all well and good). Everybody will answer to the ethnic group and tell us what they want and how they want it. Each vote will have equal weight.

This is the best option also to me as well thanks for this.

sjeezy8:

I agree with you peaceful break up is almost not possible but the calm and peace from the rotational presidency still does not solve Nigerians problem.

Agriculture, education and industrialization will still be what it is today.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 11:06pm On Dec 08, 2009
Beaf:

Beautiful, wish it is possible, but I dont see it work. The major ethnic groups will not accept the equal weight term.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by sjeezy8: 11:09pm On Dec 08, 2009
sjeezy8:

By the time every region experieces a president from their region there will be no blame on eachother for who damaged Nigeria. Nigerian people will get serious about a real democracy. I give it about 2020 Nigeria will be the greatest country in Africa.

Pharoh:

This is the best option also to me as well thanks for this.
I agree with you peaceful break up is almost not possible but the calm and peace from the rotational presidency still does not solve Nigerians problem.
Agriculture, education and industrialization will still be what it is today.

My only thing is that if they should choose a president from every region let him be capable, qualified and favored by Nigerian people. I think those who chose Yaradull have learned from these terrible two years.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 11:11pm On Dec 08, 2009
sjeezy8:

If the bolded are the ones to discuss in the SNC, then it will be pure waste of time. nothing good and meaningful can come out of those. They will only protect their selfish interest.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On Dec 08, 2009
OAM4J:

Beautiful, wish it is possible, but I dont see it work. The major ethnic groups will not accept the equal weight term.

Ethnic groups again?? More division?? If we want to achieve is a way forward, why not follow the MKO election module prescribed earlier and allow EACH Nigerian a chance to decide the future?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by sjeezy8: 11:15pm On Dec 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ethnic groups again?? More division?? If we want to achieve is a way forward, why not follow the MKO election module prescribed earlier and allow EACH Nigerian a chance to decide the future?

What if an abiola is elected time and time again? Wont people feel marginalized?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 11:17pm On Dec 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

No. It was a suggestion in line with representatives for the SNC, but I think the major tribes will still want their dominance. If only each ethnic group can carry equal weight, then it will be fine.

I agree with the option A4. think that will work. at least it has been tested.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 11:19pm On Dec 08, 2009
sjeezy8:

What if an abiola is elected time and time again? Wont people feel marginalized?

Please can you expantiate on this?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Kobojunkie: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2009
We have a democracy now, and I say we start to act it at all levels. If the people SPEAK, let it be that the people have SPOKEN. People need to be allowed to speak out on an individual level not really on a tribal or ethnic level anymore. There is just as much divide at the ethnic level as there is at the tribal level, so why switch one dirty pair of socks for another?

On the major tribes wanting their dominance, would we want that to continue? Is that the part of what this SNC is going to be about STILL?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

We have a democracy now, and I say we start to act it at all levels. If the people SPEAK, let it be that the people have SPOKEN. People need to be allowed to speak out on an individual level not really on a tribal or ethnic level anymore. There is just as much divide at the ethnic level as there is at the tribal level, so why switch one dirty pair of socks for another?

On the major tribes wanting their dominance, would we want that to continue? Is that the part of what this SNC is going to be about STILL?

Dont forget at the SNC, there would be debate and voting on issues. So the numbers and the weight allotted to each ethnic group will count. but I think I agree more with the option A4 in choosing representatives.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by SapeleGuy: 11:32pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu chucks & sjeezy8 - There can be a peaceful resolution. The people holding this country to ransom are no more than 2000 people.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Totalitarian regimes in the eastern block were brought down in a matter of days.
If these Nigerian elite don't embrace equal rights and justice for all then their free meal ticket is gone.

I don't see the resistance you guys see, just look how fickle these political elite are when they decamp parties at will, they will embrace true federalism when they realise there is no other viable option.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Attorney General, Bello Adoke’s Mansions In London, Dubai Uncovered / How Buhari Destroyed Nigeria Live On AIT / Muslim Religious Leader Allows Men To Eat Wives If They Are Hungry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.