Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,275 members, 7,839,371 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? (4792 Views)

Is A Federal Minister Superior To A State Governor Constitutionally? / Clark Apologizes For Past Comments & Calls For National Unity / Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 08, 2009
Dede1:

What a low ball? Are you fantasizing that Dede1 should engage in an intellectual discourse with a lowlife and rabbis infected raccoon such as you Madam Stillwater?

I am on this forum to strictly maintain well elevated social strata and never insinuated that crossing words with foggy-bottom such Stillwater is a remote option.

Boo hooo. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Roflmao!!!
When an adult cannot speak without hurling insults, his intellectual capacity is at the level of goats. Shame on you!!!

1 Like

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by bibiking1(m): 7:40pm On Dec 08, 2009
I think this is an 'educative' thread that should not be derailed with ethnic balderdash and recriminations that has plagued the average Nigerian for years. Beaf said we have to constantly engage in discuss like these to remain in the know and to foist upon our mental faculties the task of seeking out a 'proper' route of redeeming the country, i espouse this because i believe we still haven't found the cure to the malaise threatening to dissolve the country. It would amount to a waste of time and resources just taking any action without full analysis of the post repercussion and proper understanding of the expendable resources involved. A surgeon who carries out a hernia operation on a patient who suffers from a liver condition only wastes resources and knowledge with his ill adviced action. Let us make useful our time of docile inertia and understand our predicament.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Sauron1: 7:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
stillwater:

When an adult cannot speak without hurling insults, his intellectual capacity is at the level of goats. Shame on you!!!

Jesus Wept!!!
Stillwater, biko. . . . . . .E don do.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Kobojunkie: 7:44pm On Dec 08, 2009
stillwater:

lol
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Pharoh: 7:57pm On Dec 08, 2009
stillwater:

This is how you answer questions. And not through the epileptic misgivings of that vagabond Dede.

Are you saying we are just pretending with ourselves? I need a poll to figure this out, so that I can come to terms we all hate each other. cheesy

I am not even sure if to call it pretending anymore or selfishness and you know how nigerians behave behind the PC. Okay let me use myself as an example to give you a clue.

During my undergraduate studies we were six Nigerians, five Yoruba's and one me the outsider. I believed we were all one until i heard what was going on between my back all because i am omo IGBO.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Dede1(m): 8:03pm On Dec 08, 2009
stillwater:

And this is your definition of agreeing to disagree? You do yourself more disservice than good trying to sound reasonable.
If by agreeing to disagree you cannot pass your message across without hurling insults, then refrain from using that line of come back with me because you have failed woefully. It's funny you're talking about senility when it is obviously you that is a foot to the grave.

I've been talking to people here without insults but you brought your quater to death frame to the thread. You'd better act your age!!!

Political immaturity you mean? Who sees the state of Anambra today and puts maturity in the same sentence? Only die hard dunces like Dede1 would, whose grasp of English language is below par.

I suggest you take a bath and apply some ointments to your wrinkled old body. Do not forget to soak your foggy bottom too. Please do not workup yourself dreaming about debating with meaningful people on this forum.

The last time I checked though, Anambra State is graced with multiparty system and equally human beings of gifted intellect. It does not surprise me a bit that the polity in that state is a very competitive business devoid of cow-towing and good old-boy grandstands.   

Based on the colored section of your post, I deduce that the construct of your grammar, if left in the confines of the foxhole inhabited by an irredeemable troll such as you, would invite the hell to the earth.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Sauron1: 8:06pm On Dec 08, 2009
Dede1:

I suggest you take a bath and apply some ointments to your wrinkled old body. Do not forget to soak your foggy bottom too. Please do not workup of yourself dreaming of debating with meaningful people on this forum.

Based on the colored section of your post, I deduce the construct of grammar, if left in the confines foxhole inhabited by an irredeemable troll such as you, would invite the hell to the earth.

Remove the speck log from your eye. . . . . .

1 Like

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Dede1(m): 8:19pm On Dec 08, 2009
Pharoh:

It wasn't true IMO but developmental federalism because we were a developing country as then and even until now. They were supposed to create three additional minority region but only one was created which was the Midwestern region.

The January coup might have left the regional structure intact but you will agree with me that the assumption of the coup along ethnic lines served as a foundation or prelude to the other actions that led to the destruction of the federal structure.

After the July coup i think the situation could have been ,anaged and corrected but we just allowed that oportunity to snowballed to something else until this present moment.

Our problems even goes beyond these two coups up to the creation of the minority regions and the politics of the British colonialist.

Please we must try hard not to slide into the disingenuous mucky waters of Nigerian history. I specifically stated that January 15, 1966 left the experiential federalism intact as evidenced when one of the regions checkmated the center in every political endeavor.

It was the July 29, 1966 coup via Gowon that ushered in the unitary system with the central government dictating to state government through the vices of 12-state federal republic of Nigeria. 

I shall leave the assumptions to the dictates of the weaker minds and reiterate that the only coup of 1966 tailored along ethnic or regional line was the one of July 29, 1966 that opened the plethora of ills that besieged the cesspit called Nigeria till today.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Beaf: 8:21pm On Dec 08, 2009
Pharoh:

I am not even sure if to call it pretending anymore or selfishness and you know how nigerians behave behind the PC. Okay let me use myself as an example to give you a clue.

During my undergraduate studies we were six Nigerians, five Yoruba's and one me the outsider. I believed we were all one until i heard what was going on between my back all because i am omo IGBO.

Tribalism is as a result of our failed federal setup.
Every body sees the FG as an enemy to suspect (one that nonetheless provides our meals) and their kinsmen the only people they can rely on.

1 Like

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Onlytruth(m): 8:39pm On Dec 08, 2009
sjeezy8:

Nigeria cannot have a true federation right now, if so in about a couple of years Nigeria will be on FIRE. It will definately break up.

If anyone is looking for a concise definition of Nigeria's problems, the above quote is it!
I've been on NL specifically for one reason: to find out whether there is hope for the entity called Nigeria. I've been involved in serious, deep and often contentious discourse here. I've read from some smart, good and honest people here. I've also read from some smart, bad and dishonest people too. Nigeria's problem is with the last group of people. They were the victors in the 1966 saga and the civil war. Everything that has happened in Nigeria from 1970 to date has been to preserve that stolen collective patrimony. That is why the most anti-secessionists in Nigeria today are the most dubious and recidivistic Nigerians you will ever meet.

They are not interested in honest way forward ( because every honest attempt must allow all options on the table, including secession). They are even scared of a simple national conference and scared of resource control, or any true national re-engineering, because any of these could upturn their stolen advantage. My verdict is damning: the situation is hopeless.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Onlytruth(m): 8:45pm On Dec 08, 2009
If Nigerians want to get to the problem of bad leadership, THERE MUST BE A SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE, and all options must be on the table, else we are wasting our time.
Remove that fear of the breakup of Nigeria, you will be shocked at how fast we get to the solution. Simple.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Dede1(m): 8:47pm On Dec 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

Remove the speck log from your eye. . . . . .

Shot up my friend. I hope you do proof read all the times because I do not. There is different between omission of words and bad construct. I should have definitely accepted the knock if I had been caught in the site of bad construction.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Pharoh: 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2009
Onlytruth:

If Nigerians want to get to the problem of bad leadership, THERE MUST BE A SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE, and all options must be on the table, else we are wasting our time.
Remove that fear of the breakup of Nigeria, you will be shocked at how fast we get to the solution. Simple.

Seconded

Beaf:

Tribalism is as a result of our failed federal setup.
Every body sees the FG as an enemy to suspect (one that nonetheless provides our meals) and their kinsmen the only people they can rely on.

You just hit the nail on the head.

Dede1:

Please we must try hard not to slide into the disingenuous mucky waters of Nigerian history. I specifically stated that January 15, 1966 left the experiential federalism intact as evidenced when one of the regions checkmated the center in every political endeavor.

It was the July 29, 1966 coup via Gowon that ushered in the unitary system with the central government dictating to state government through the vices of 12-state federal republic of Nigeria. 

I shall leave the assumptions to the dictates of the weaker minds and reiterate that the only coup of 1966 tailored along ethnic or regional line was the one of July 29, 1966 that opened the plethora of ills that besieged the cesspit called Nigeria till today.

I support what you are saying but the July coupist did not wake up one morning to plan that stupid ethnic coup. Something triggered it which was the false assumption that the January coup was also ethnic, which in my opinion was never an ethnic coup.

But all in all what you have said is the truth and i support it, just like onlytruth and beaf is saying we need to sit and talk or else.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:06pm On Dec 08, 2009
The collective IQ (whatever that means) of Nigerians is too low for us to understand our problems and proffer meaningful solutions. Collectively, we Nigerians are a bunch of nonentities doomed to the fate we have assigned ourselves.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 9:14pm On Dec 08, 2009
Dede1:

Shot up my friend. I hope you do proof read all the times because I do not. There is different between omission of words and bad construct. I should have definitely accepted the knock if I had been caught in the site of bad construction.
Dede1:

I suggest you take a bath and apply some ointments to your wrinkled old body. Do not forget to soak your foggy bottom too. Please do not workup yourself dreaming about debating with meaningful people on this forum.

The last time I checked though, Anambra State is graced with multiparty system and equally human beings of gifted intellect. It does not surprise me a bit that the polity in that state is a very competitive business devoid of cow-towing and good old-boy grandstands.   

Based on the colored section of your post, I deduce that the construct of your grammar, if left in the confines of the foxhole inhabited by an irredeemable troll such as you, would invite the hell to the earth.

Is it impossible for you to debate on this forum without insulting someone or speaking to people in a condescending manner? All you ever do is use fancy words and arrogate all knowledge to yourself? Seriously, how old are you?

If you come back with insults, I will simply ignore. I just want to know why you are so quick to insult people who disagree with your mindset.

1 Like

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 9:15pm On Dec 08, 2009
RichyBlacK:

The collective IQ (whatever that means) of Nigerians is too low for us to understand our problems and proffer meaningful solutions. Collectively, we Nigerians are a bunch of nonentities doomed to the fate we have assigned ourselves.

This I agree with.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Dec 08, 2009
I am with @Stillwater here. At this point, what we need is ACTION and less time on words (none planning). I do not believe for a minute that we have, or know of no solution to the problems we face.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 9:24pm On Dec 08, 2009
stillwater:

Thank you, I have been saying this for a while. He is fond of insulting people when their arguments oppose his. He also seems to think he is some literary genius. You did well and held your ground. I don't understand why a grown man ( i assume he is a grown man from the way he writes) should throw insults through an anonymous forum.

1 Like

Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by MrCrackles(m): 9:26pm On Dec 08, 2009
RichyBlacK:

GBAM!!!
Good job i am not Nigerian. . . . grin
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Beaf: 9:32pm On Dec 08, 2009
MrCrackles:

GBAM!!!
Good job i am not Nigerian. . . .  grin

Nonsense, we tie you down wit marine rope!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by MrCrackles(m): 9:32pm On Dec 08, 2009
Beaf:

Nonsense, we tie you down wit marine roap!!!!! grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin wink
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2009
I wonder whether Nigerians of the eastern extraction could be open to the idea of a "Sovereign National Conference" where serious issues could be ironed out, but a conference which excludes any discussion of breaking up the country?  I believe progressives in the North are quite open to the idea of federalism and we could discuss how to accomplish "true" federalism in such a conference.

Millions of lives were lost during the civil war to keep nigeria one,  and anyone that believes that Nigeria will breakup peacefully this time, should think again.  

make i go come.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by asha80(m): 9:41pm On Dec 08, 2009
Nigerians do not care about nigeria but what they can get from nigeria.As far as i am concerned nigeria as a country is finished.We as individuals should simply see what we salvage for our individual selfs in nigeria.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 9:43pm On Dec 08, 2009
asha 80:

Nigerians do not care about nigeria but what they can get from nigeria.As far as i am concerned nigeria as a country is finished.We as individuals should simply see what we salvage for our individual selfs in nigeria.

But isn't Nigeria where it is because all through our short history, people have always put self before country?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by asha80(m): 9:43pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

I wonder whether Nigerians of the eastern extraction could be open to the idea of a "Sovereign National Conference" where serious issues could be ironed out, but a conference which excludes any discussion of breaking up the country?  I believe progressives in the North are quite open to the idea of federalism and we could discuss how to accomplish "true" federalism in such a conference. Millions of lives were lost during the civil war to keep nigeria one,  and anyone that believes that Nigeria will breakup peacefully this time, should think again.  

make i go come.

Continue to dey yarn cigar.So it is people of eastern extraction are the impediment to the holding of SNC?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by asha80(m): 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2009
Katsumoto:

But isn't Nigeria where it is because all through our short history, people have always put self before country?

And what makes you think it is going to change?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Katsumoto: 9:49pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

I wonder whether Nigerians of the eastern extraction could be open to the idea of a "Sovereign National Conference" where serious issues could be ironed out, but a conference which excludes any discussion of breaking up the country?  I believe progressives in the North are quite open to the idea of federalism and we could discuss how to accomplish "true" federalism in such a conference.

Millions of lives were lost during the civil war to keep nigeria one,  and anyone that believes that Nigeria will breakup peacefully this time, should think again.  

make i go come.

I know you have often alluded to being from the North, so I will ask this question. Don't you think Nigeria would have been better off, if the Northern elites had pursued programmes of educating their people? I am of the opinion that the Northern elites have held their people back so that they can use them to do their bidding.

I am not tribal-bashing here; just asking what your thoughts are on this.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by Beaf: 10:05pm On Dec 08, 2009
Katsumoto:

I know you have often alluded to being from the North, so I will ask this question. Don't you think Nigeria would have been better off, if the Northern elites had pursued programmes of educating their people? I am of the opinion that the Northern elites have held their people back so that they can use them to do their bidding.

A very good question.
The lack of education in the North has become a security problem. If we are to hold a national conference, one of the issues under discussion must be the state of education in the North. In my opinion, anyone that keeps education away from their child should be jailed; that should be the Nigerian position too, all that needs doing, is setting the minimum standard.

ndu_chucks:

make i go come.

How can a [b]Sovereign [/b]National Conference have exclusions?
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 10:07pm On Dec 08, 2009
Katsumoto:

The most marginalized people in nigeria are the commoners of the Niger Delta area and the Almanjiris of the North. The leaders who are responsible for the said disgraceful marginalization are from the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western part of Nigeria.  The earlier we realized that most of the current crop of leaders we have in Nigeria including Governors, Ministers, LG officials are nothing but thieves, the better off we'll be.

I cannot completely disagree with your postulation.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by nduchucks: 10:10pm On Dec 08, 2009
Beaf:

How can a [b]Sovereign [/b]National Conference have exclusions?

One word - expediency.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by OAM4J: 10:15pm On Dec 08, 2009
ndu_chucks:

I wonder whether Nigerians of the eastern extraction could be open to the idea of a "Sovereign National Conference" where serious issues could be ironed out, but a conference which excludes any discussion of breaking up the country? I believe progressives in the North are quite open to the idea of federalism and we could discuss how to accomplish "true" federalism in such a conference.

Millions of lives were lost during the civil war to keep nigeria one, and anyone that believes that Nigeria will breakup peacefully this time, should think again.

make i go come.

Any meaninful discussion must include all options. We must start from do scratch. The 1st question must be - Do we want to live together? If yes how? and on what terms? Only then can we experience sincere progress.

Onlytruth:

Totally agree with you.
Re: National Unity - What Is A Federal Government? by sjeezy8: 10:18pm On Dec 08, 2009
Onlytruth:

If anyone is looking for a concise definition of Nigeria's problems, the above quote is it!
I've been on NL specifically for one reason: to find out whether there is hope for the entity called Nigeria. I've been involved in serious, deep and often contentious discourse here. I've read from some smart, good and honest people here. I've also read from some smart, bad and dishonest people too. Nigeria's problem is with the last group of people. They were the victors in the 1966 saga and the civil war. Everything that has happened in Nigeria from 1970 to date has been to preserve that stolen collective patrimony. That is why the most anti-secessionists in Nigeria today are the most dubious and recidivistic Nigerians you will ever meet.

They are not interested in honest way forward ( because every honest attempt must allow all options on the table, including secession). They are even scared of a simple national conference and scared of resource control, or any true national re-engineering, because any of these could upturn their stolen advantage. My verdict is damning: the situation is hopeless.

You might have misunderstood what i said. I said Nigeria isnt ready for free and fair elections because lets face the truth, most people of Eastern extraction are out of the equation in a free and fair election. plain and simple theres no denying it.
-Any christian southener aside from the likes of OBJ is out of the question. (yoruba christians are out also) so no bias and tribes aside
-Any person from south south is out

So Nigeria cannot have a real federal government and actual democracy for the reasons stated above. That is why PDP originally came up with this rotational trash so every region wont call for civil war any time their candidate loses an election. Which will happen time and time until everyone has had a president from their region elected.

Rotational presidency is their to keep Nigeria as ONE. I dont agree with it because its like cheating but if it avoids any civil war and such, then so be it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corruption In EFCC Shocking – Lamorde / hello all / How I Ended Up Voting For Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.