Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,437 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters (6482 Views)

Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Chibok Girls Rescue: Military Deploys 2 Fighter Jets, 4 Helicopters In Gwoza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by PapaBrowne(m): 1:41am On Dec 08, 2009
Fashola launches surveillance helicopters

National NewsDec 7, 2009

By Gbenga Akanmu & Monsur Olowoopejo

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, yesterday,  launched two Bell 412 EP Helicopters with a promise to commit the state’s resources to securing the lives and property of residents.
Speaking during the launch at the Lagos House, Ikeja, Fashola admitted that achieving a crime-free society was a tall order but reiterated that the state government would outspend, outrun and overwhelm the competition that criminals offer.
“We know there is no crime-free society, but we understand that crime and crime patterns are very fluid and we have resolved to stay ahead of the competition. That is why we have made the investment in these machines to give us the capacity to monitor traffic, pursue criminals, fight fire and evacuate people promptly when accidents happen,” the governor said.
According to him, the choice of Bell 412 EP was informed by the multi-faceted platform which allows it to be utilised in several functions, revealing that “the helicopters are specially and uniquely configured for fire fighting, emergency services, search and rescue, air ambulance and airborne surveillance roles.”
He also added that the same type was currently being used by government agencies all over the world including the Fire and Emergency Services Authority of Western Australia, the Police of Czechs, the Finish Border Guard, Los Angeles County Fire Department, New York City Police Department, Chicago Fire Department, amongst others.
He said the helicopters exceeded the standard Bell 412 prototype, adding that at the request of the state government they have been fitted with 31 extra options to suit the use to which the state acquired them.
On his part, Lagos State Commissioner of Police,  Mr. Marvel Akpoyibo, expressed optimism that the helicopters would enhance security surveillance in the state while pledging that the police would continue to give the needed support to the state government to ensure security of  lives and property of citizens in the state.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912071854.html

Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by babapupa: 2:01am On Dec 08, 2009
Another giant leap forward.

We'll get there, just a matter of time.

Eko no ni baje Of course,
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by Epiphany(m): 2:07am On Dec 08, 2009
Wow, i give this governor hand again o. He is really setting the pace for others.

However, i hope they maintain this tempo sha, Was watching something concerning the cost of keeping helicopters in the air for even 10 minutes. Very very expensive! It would be a real pity if he starts this and it is stopped either by him or any following governors.

This governor is really impressing me.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by Fhemmmy: 2:16am On Dec 08, 2009
This is not a bad step, however there is a need to improve traffic flow on the road, cos when you chase bad guys thru the sky, you will still need the good guys on the ground to apprehend them.
good job with good start.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by babapupa: 2:20am On Dec 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

you chase bad guys thru the sky, you will still need the good guys on the ground to apprehend them.

Lagos Donates Ten BMW Power Bikes to Police

http://happylagosian..com/2009/06/albert-akpor-5-june-2009-lagos-state.html

Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by puskin: 2:21am On Dec 08, 2009
Fashola is simply governor extra-ordinaìre.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by Fhemmmy: 2:22am On Dec 08, 2009
Who are the RRS?
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by PapaBrowne(m): 2:23am On Dec 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Who are the RRS?

RRS = Rapid Response Squad.
The equivalent of Marwa's Operation Sweep if you remember.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by naijaway(m): 4:50am On Dec 08, 2009
To me, Fashola is the best right now and if possible for a couple of years to come eg 5.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by OAM4J: 5:35am On Dec 08, 2009
Eko oni baje - o baje ti grin
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by ozalogbo: 7:27am On Dec 08, 2009
Well done, Fashola
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by dogice(m): 4:50pm On Dec 09, 2009
governor fash is just wonderful

wish some gov can just be like him
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by skfa1: 4:53pm On Dec 09, 2009
I will say thank you fashola for this (this is my 1st time of saying thank you tho)

Im saying thank you because it just look like you lived your entire life in western world and u see how everything is been run and u came to Naija and do the same.

So I will say thank you one more time. You are doing a good job.

Ehm lest I forget, the benefit system pls try to set it up (I will urge NL to put it in prayer so that Naijas willl not abuse and destroy it)

Thank you.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by slap1(m): 4:58pm On Dec 09, 2009
this man is just two-derful. this RRS, i hope they ain't as brutal as the average Nigerian policeman.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by german007(m): 5:01pm On Dec 09, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Who are the RRS?

haba fhemmy, you need to come home more, lol, Do you even know who lastma are? lol
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by german007(m): 5:02pm On Dec 09, 2009
This fashola guy is just too too amazing, I cant help but commending him.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by Gekko(m): 5:06pm On Dec 09, 2009
skfa1:

I will say thank you fashola for this (this is my 1st time of saying thank you tho)

Im saying thank you because it just look like you [b]lived your entire life in western world [/b]and u see how everything is been run and u came to Naija and do the same.

So I will say thank you one more time. You are doing a good job.

Ehm lest I forget, the benefit system pls try to set it up (I will urge NL to put it in prayer so that Naijas willl not abuse and destroy it)

Thank you.

I don't think the good governor "spent his entire life in western world", in fact he schooled from primary to Law school in Nigeria and also started his professional career in Nigeria.
Which is evidence that there are plenty of capable hands within the country if given the opportunity to lead.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by mrperfect(m): 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2009
This is a good move sha, but let government try as much as possibly to provide good road,constant power supply, free eduction and industrialization of the state. I think this will naturally eliminate crime.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by german007(m): 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2009
mrperfect:

constant power supply.

Gawd, tell me about it
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by cashii25: 5:24pm On Dec 09, 2009
Great~

The real criminals in my experience are corrupt police officers.
Like the ones at Dopemu after the bridge that stay beside Jonas Petrol
station (Dopemu).

Trying their hardest to find fault then demanding money, complete CRIMINALS,

I hope the police force sort internal criminals and do adhoc checks  on the so called
check points especially that {Jonas Petrol
station (Dopemu)} one. Saying that Gov and his team are doing a great job
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by back2back(f): 5:28pm On Dec 09, 2009
Kudo, well done but questions:

How are these going to be maintained?

what checks are in-place that the parts of these heli & Bike do not end up in Alaba?

Hope the helis have 'night vision' since there is no LIGHT in Lagos at night.

Plus, the ground forces would have to be rapid enough otherwise heli would be useless for crime fight.

But for air ambulance, this would be saving lives on that notorious Lagos-Ibadan highway.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by Olong(m): 5:37pm On Dec 09, 2009
Helicopters?not 4 naija brand of criminals!
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by nethacker(m): 5:42pm On Dec 09, 2009
mrperfect:

This is a good move sha, but let government try as much as possibly to provide good road,constant power supply, free eduction and industrialization of the state. I think this will naturally eliminate crime.
yes ooooo
Olong:

Helicopters?not 4 naija brand of criminals!
says who shocked
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by drlawng(m): 5:42pm On Dec 09, 2009
Great !!! However, I hope the lack of maintenance and cutting corners as is usual with the Nigerian government will not translate into these helicopters dropping on (crashing) and killing innocent people.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by bisiaet: 5:52pm On Dec 09, 2009
Very impressing development but for hw long wll all thses last if even he goes for second term in office eight years is just around the corner can his predecessor carry on? very worry.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by victorazy(m): 6:21pm On Dec 09, 2009
i hope fashola, we're not eating our cake now and next 4yrs will be urs? i pray u will continue these good developments all the 8yrs cuz ur the only leader that has traveled outside naija and saw good things odas are blind.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by Robotnik: 6:26pm On Dec 09, 2009
back2back:

How are these going to be maintenance?

ONIBON
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by blackmann(m): 7:31pm On Dec 09, 2009
back2back:

pishaun pishaun!!!! onibon-oje.

The real problem we have in nigeria is continuity. one governor will come in and do something good, the next one to come will want to do his own seperate agenda.
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by mamagee3(f): 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2009
Fashola is really working for the people!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by sjeezy8: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2009
back2back:

what checks are in-place that the parts of these heli & Bike do not end up in Alaba?

Hope the helis have 'night vision' since there is no LIGHT in Lagos at night.
Plus, the ground forces would have to be rapid enough otherwise heli would be useless for crime fight.

Why would they get helicopters and not think of a way to maintain them?

Where do you live in a jungle or a desert? Any person with common sense knows that helicopters have lights on them, used to search in dark areas, woods, over sea and such.

smh
Re: Fashola Launches Surveillance Helicopters by greateliso(m): 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2009
good job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Aljazeera's Mission In Nigeria? / The Year 2019 AD; After Jonathan What Next For The Igbo Nation?- Ifeduba / Picture Of Zakzaky After Being Shot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.