Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m (1241 Views)

Meet Major General Rogers Ibe Nicholas: Leading The Nigerian Army Against Shekau / N2bn Pension Fraud: How Minister Begged EFCC Operative To Spare Maina / Atewe Gave N35m To Winners’ Chapel – Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by akintom(m): 4:11pm On Feb 17, 2017
N8.5bn fraud: How Major General Atewe gave Winners Chapel N35m
February 17, 2017 Ayomide Owonibi Odekanyin - Lagos
A prosecution witness, Nkem Ahidjo, on Friday told a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos how Major General Emmanuel Atewe diverted N35m out of the N8.5bn he is standing trial for to the Living Faith Church, popularly known as Winners’ Chapel.

Atewe served as the Commander of the military Joint Task Force, Operation Pulo Shield, in the Niger Delta before his retirement.

Atewe was last week re-arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for an alleged fraud of N8.5bn, which the EFCC claimed was perpetrated during the operation. He is facing 22 counts before Justice A.O. Faji of the Federal High Court in Lagos.

The other defendants in the case are a former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, Patrick Akpobolokemi; Kime Engozu and Josephine Otuaga.

The EFCC accused them of conspiring among themselves to divert N8.5bn from Operation Pulo Shield between September 5, 2014, and May 20, 2015, using six companies.

The six companies were listed as Jagan Ltd; Jagan Trading Company Ltd; Jagan Global Services Ltd; Al-Nald Ltd; Paper Warehouse Ltd; Eastpoint Integrated Services Ltd and De-Newlink Integrated Services Ltd.

They were arraigned on three occasions and had on each occasion pleaded not guilty to the offence.

Led in evidence by the EFCC prosecutor, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, Ahidjo introduced himself as a businessman, who dealt in stationeries, printing, and general contracts.

The witness said he carried on his trade under his five companies based in Abuja, adding that he was a registered contractor with the National Assembly, the National Population Commission, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, to which he made supplies.

He claimed to have known Atewe from Villa Church in Abuja, where they both worshiped.

The witness said, being a pentecostal, he also attended Living Faith Church, and Atewe also worshiped there. He said he cultivated a good relationship with Atewe, to the extent that he attended “midnightchurch” in Atewe’s house in Abuja, three times a week.

Ahidjo narrated to the court how Atewe moved to Bayelsa between July and September 2014 where he served as JTF Commander. “He invited me to Bayelsa and I went. He told me that the Federal Government gave JTF a grant for security and building of barracks and if I have any company into which account money could be paid. And being somebody I knew very well from Guard Commander to Major General, I provided the companies that I listed earlier,” Ahidjo said.

The witness said on a second invitation and visit to Atewe in Bayelsa, Atewe told him that three payments were about to be made into his accounts and as soon as they were made he should acknowledge the payments and await further instructions.

He said within two to three days of the meeting, he started to receive the payments and accordingly informed Atewe, who asked him to hold on till he (Atewe) returned to Abuja.

The witness said upon Atewe’s return to Abuja, he invited him to his office at Niger Barracks in Abuja, where he introduced, Engozu, who is the 3rd defendant, as the person that would take delivery of the money from Ahidjo.

Ahidjo said in view of the volume of the monies, Engozu advised him to change the money from naira to dollar before delivery, and he according contacted a Bureau de Change operator, named only as Jimoh.

“Each time I received it (money), I would call a BDC operator, named Jimoh. I knew him before this time. He would change the money, I would pay him the naira equivalent and take the dollars. Once I changed it, I would wait for instruction either from Major General Atewe or Mr. Kime. That was what we continued to do until the end of the transaction in 2015,” Ahidjo said.

He said he received a total of N4,915,163,103 within the period, out of which about N4.1bn were converted to dollars and delivered to Engozu, who in turn issued a receipt for each payment based on Atewe’s instruction.

Ahidjo said of the remaining amount, he was instructed by Atewe to transfer N35m to Winners’ Chapel; N103m to INP Ltd; N170m to First Investment Ltd; N99m to Lord Fem Ltd; N88m to Ocean Gas and N297m to Cisco Nobot.

Asked by the prosecutor the purpose of the transfer to Living Faith Church, Ahidjo said, “I don’t know what it was for; it was on the instruction of Maj. Gen. Atewe. All these monies, I don’t question what they were meant for. It is not my money, so I can’t question what it was for. Maj. Gen. Atewe asked me to act on instruction.”

The matter has been adjourned till March 21, 2017, for Ahidjo to continue his evidence.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by Nogodye(m): 4:20pm On Feb 17, 2017
Are they bringing the church into this?
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by Sall(m): 4:22pm On Feb 17, 2017
That Church too is complaisant in the trial .they should be made to refund there part of the loots.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by Sall(m): 4:26pm On Feb 17, 2017
Nogodye:
Of cause, if the church is part of the loot. They should be part of the trial. thats the law.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by 2kass(m): 4:27pm On Feb 17, 2017
Why bring the church in... 8.5B and u r talking about 35m...

Except the church personally met him to make the contribution, they shouldn't stain the church.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by kayzat: 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2017
That man is a chronic thief he even played fast move on the Church by paying #35million to the Church instead the usual 10% which is suppose to be 490million.

1 Like

Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by kayzat: 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2017
Nogodye:

Is the Church not suppose to ask clarification on the source of such a huge payment

Its so bad that our today's religious leaders are only after their pockets and not the salvation of the Church members.

1 Like

Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by oglalasioux(m): 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2017
Sadly enough the church will never return that money no matter what. It will be termed religious persecution if the authorities try to force them do so.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by Funlordmaniac(m): 5:32pm On Feb 17, 2017
akintom:
N8.5bn fraud: How Major General Atewe gave Winners Chapel N35m
February 17, 2017 Ayomide Owonibi Odekanyin - Lagos
A prosecution witness, Nkem Ahidjo, on Friday told a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos how Major General Emmanuel Atewe diverted N35m out of the N8.5bn he is standing trial for to the Living Faith Church, popularly known as Winners’ Chapel.

Atewe served as the Commander of the military Joint Task Force, Operation Pulo Shield, in the Niger Delta before his retirement.

Atewe was last week re-arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for an alleged fraud of N8.5bn, which the EFCC claimed was perpetrated during the operation. He is facing 22 counts before Justice A.O. Faji of the Federal High Court in Lagos.

The other defendants in the case are a former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, Patrick Akpobolokemi; Kime Engozu and Josephine Otuaga.

The EFCC accused them of conspiring among themselves to divert N8.5bn from Operation Pulo Shield between September 5, 2014, and May 20, 2015, using six companies.

The six companies were listed as Jagan Ltd; Jagan Trading Company Ltd; Jagan Global Services Ltd; Al-Nald Ltd; Paper Warehouse Ltd; Eastpoint Integrated Services Ltd and De-Newlink Integrated Services Ltd.

They were arraigned on three occasions and had on each occasion pleaded not guilty to the offence.

Led in evidence by the EFCC prosecutor, Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, Ahidjo introduced himself as a businessman, who dealt in stationeries, printing, and general contracts.

The witness said he carried on his trade under his five companies based in Abuja, adding that he was a registered contractor with the National Assembly, the National Population Commission, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, to which he made supplies.

He claimed to have known Atewe from Villa Church in Abuja, where they both worshiped.

The witness said, being a pentecostal, he also attended Living Faith Church, and Atewe also worshiped there. He said he cultivated a good relationship with Atewe, to the extent that he attended “midnightchurch” in Atewe’s house in Abuja, three times a week.

Ahidjo narrated to the court how Atewe moved to Bayelsa between July and September 2014 where he served as JTF Commander. “He invited me to Bayelsa and I went. He told me that the Federal Government gave JTF a grant for security and building of barracks and if I have any company into which account money could be paid. And being somebody I knew very well from Guard Commander to Major General, I provided the companies that I listed earlier,” Ahidjo said.

The witness said on a second invitation and visit to Atewe in Bayelsa, Atewe told him that three payments were about to be made into his accounts and as soon as they were made he should acknowledge the payments and await further instructions.

He said within two to three days of the meeting, he started to receive the payments and accordingly informed Atewe, who asked him to hold on till he (Atewe) returned to Abuja.

The witness said upon Atewe’s return to Abuja, he invited him to his office at Niger Barracks in Abuja, where he introduced, Engozu, who is the 3rd defendant, as the person that would take delivery of the money from Ahidjo.

Ahidjo said in view of the volume of the monies, Engozu advised him to change the money from naira to dollar before delivery, and he according contacted a Bureau de Change operator, named only as Jimoh.

“Each time I received it (money), I would call a BDC operator, named Jimoh. I knew him before this time. He would change the money, I would pay him the naira equivalent and take the dollars. Once I changed it, I would wait for instruction either from Major General Atewe or Mr. Kime. That was what we continued to do until the end of the transaction in 2015,” Ahidjo said.

He said he received a total of N4,915,163,103 within the period, out of which about N4.1bn were converted to dollars and delivered to Engozu, who in turn issued a receipt for each payment based on Atewe’s instruction.

Ahidjo said of the remaining amount, he was instructed by Atewe to transfer N35m to Winners’ Chapel; N103m to INP Ltd; N170m to First Investment Ltd; N99m to Lord Fem Ltd; N88m to Ocean Gas and N297m to Cisco Nobot.

Asked by the prosecutor the purpose of the transfer to Living Faith Church, Ahidjo said, “I don’t know what it was for; it was on the instruction of Maj. Gen. Atewe. All these monies, I don’t question what they were meant for. It is not my money, so I can’t question what it was for. Maj. Gen. Atewe asked me to act on instruction.”

The matter has been adjourned till March 21, 2017, for Ahidjo to continue his evidence.

angry

My guy....abeg your source been travel? Or na just better lie be this?

Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by matthew41(m): 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
No wonder he was opening the gate of hell for those that won't vote for PDP.... grin grin

1 Like

Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by danot1030: 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
The reason many pastors and Bishop are against Buhari government is because they played a major role in the looting under Jonathan.

Buhari should not exempt anyone in the fight against corruption, If our money is with any church he should make them refund it.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by saintgp(m): 5:40pm On Feb 17, 2017
I keep saying it,the church is one of our major problem.

TomorrowThey will use the money to build more private universities,charging very high fees and still expect tax payers to pay for it.smh................
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by akintom(m): 7:23pm On Feb 17, 2017
kayzat:
That man is a chronic thief he even played fast move on the Church by paying #35million to the Church instead the usual 10% which is suppose to be 490million.
Kikikikikikiki..... Hilariously Speaking.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by akintom(m): 8:22pm On Feb 17, 2017
The very bishop of this winners chapel, once boasted that the church is immune to recession.

Why wouldn't the church be?

All the rogues that plunged Nigeria into recession, have their seats in the front rows of these synagogue of thieves and robbers.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
danot1030:
The reason many pastors and Bishop are against Buhari government is because they played a major role in the looting under Jonathan.

Buhari should not exempt anyone in the fight against corruption, If our money is with any church he should make them refund it.
You know it's not possible.
Re: N8.5bn Fraud: How Major General Atewe Gave Winners Chapel N35m by danot1030: 8:40pm On Feb 17, 2017
asuustrike2009:
You know it's not possible.
It's sad though.

(1) (Reply)

Why Buhari Critic Babatunde Gbadamosi Was Picked Up By DSS / chinese racist being spanked by a black man, serve him right! (picture) / Pls Advice, His Late Dad Had An Unlicensed Gun Before He Passed On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.