Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) (74839 Views)

Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index / 10 Most Developing States In Nigeria - Opinion / By NBS Estimates, Nigeria’s Population Now 193.3 Million. Kano State Leads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by Alajiki(m): 8:52pm On Feb 19, 2017
Freedom2016:
Oyo 15million while Kaduna and Anambra are 12million and 8million respectively? Afonjas have come again oh with their propaganda to increase their monthly allocation from Niger Delta oil money!

Question: Where do you reside at the moment? How many Yorubas are in Igbo land and how many igbos are in Yoruba land. Search yourself and provide and answer.

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by Jarus(m): 8:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
math2001:
Lagos is not the most populated city. The most populated may be the city of Ibadan or Benin.

The city of Lagos is small. The port city of apapa and the sport city of surulere are more populated than lagos city

Victoria city is bigger than lagos

So all the places you mentioned are in Kogi state abi?

6 Likes

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by misterjosh(m): 8:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
Deadvalley001:

Look here kid, Ibadan is more popular than oyo , sometimes people mistake Ibadan for the state name.

You should have made your point without throwing insults like a thoughtless fool.

You are the one that needs to shut the fvck up cos you have no respect for others.
Ignorance is no excuse
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by amnesty7: 8:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
Trash of the concluding weekend.
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by solbil: 9:05pm On Feb 19, 2017
Aufbauh:
Chai you guys can lie ehh!
They are no indigenous Hausas and Igbos in Benue state.

Also Agatu is not a different language from Idoma language.
pls come and help me educate these deluded IPOB people here. https://www.nairaland.com/3570551/oil-discovered-apa-benue-state/6#52805298
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 9:12pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

There's no way in hell that Anambra population can be more than Rivers, don't deceive yourself.

Haha, This is data from National population commission and National Beaureau of Statistics, Nigerias recognized body on population issues. Don't talk with ignorance like afonjas, Anambra is far more populated than rivers

National Population Commission (NPC) and the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) have put the current figure of Nigeria’s population at 193,392,517.
This is just as the Federal Government proposed a total budget of N9.799 billion for the NPC in 2017, which, according to the sources, is a little above the United Nations’ estimate of 186,988,000.

It will be recalled that the national population census was last conducted in Nigeria in 2006 when the total figure was put at 140,431,790.

According to the latest population forecasts released by NBS, in its website www.nigerianstat.gov.ng, Kano remains the largest state, by an estimated population figure of 13,076,892 than the population of Lagos which is put at 9,113,605.

However, there exists a sharp contradiction in the actual population figure of Lagos, as both the United Nations and Lagos State government put the population of Nigeria’s commercial capital at about 22 million.

The 2006 census figures put Kano population at 9,401,288 and that of Lagos at 12,550,598.

Some highlights of the latest estimates indicated that there are 98,630,184 males with 94,762,333 females.

Also, the population figure of infants within the age bracket of zero to four years, according to NBC and NBS, constituted the largest percentage of the population with 31,116,156, followed by the figure of those between five to nine years with a population of 27,549,964.

An analysis of the figures showed that Nigeria currently had an estimated population figure of 78,971,690 of those between the ages of 15 to 39.

According to the analysis, there were 106,257,431 people within the working population of 15 to 64 years.

It also showed that despite Boko Haram insurgency, which has ravaged substantial parts of the North-East since 2010, the population figure increased substantially.

From a population of 21,614,789 in 2010, the six states of the North-East is currently put at 26,263,866.

Six south-west states of Lagos, Ondo, Ogun, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti states, according to the analysis, grew from 31,533,821 in 2010 to 38,257,260.

The analysis also showed that Kaduna retains its position as third most populated state with 8,252,366 inhabitants followed by Oyo with current population estimate of 7,840,864, which outpaced Katsina now with a figure of 7,831,319.

In 2006, Katsina’s population followed that of Kaduna State while Oyo was in the fifth place.

Bayelsa maintains its position as the least populated of the 36 states of the federation with an estimated figure of 2,277,961.

Anambra is the most populated state in the south-east with 5,527,809 inhabitants while Rivers State leads in the south-south region with 5,198,716 people.

For the north-east, Bauchi is the largest state in terms of population with a figure of 4,653,066 while in the case of the north central, Benue leads with 5,741,815 inhabitants.

According to the details of 2017 budget proposal submitted to National Assembly, by President Muhammadu Buhari, NPC will fully commence preparation for 2018 population census during 2017.

A stakeholders’ conference to present the 2018 census instrument to gulp N50 million, would hold during the year while N41.7 million has been earmarked for training of staff in Washington, for data collection and interviewing techniques.

There is also a proposal for N1.950 billion to be spent on field demarcation and another N1 billion is expected to be deployed to acquiring satellite imagery.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/nbs-estimates-nigerias-population-now-193-3-million/
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 9:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
Killitoff:

Anything that does not favour you ipob criminals is false. You people are worst than devil.
Visit this government recognized sites and educate yourself.
http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by Bowwow11(m): 9:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
I dont agree wt dis statistics
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 9:16pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

Nah, that's certainly not the only reason coz the Telcos data shows that even Edo state has more people than Anambra which is clearly the most populous state in the SE. The Ogun and Oyo figures alone sef is more than all the SE states combined according to those stats (doesn't even include Osun, ondo, and Ekiti). I think for some reason the SE region isn't experiencing as much population growth compared to other sections of the country.
Visit the government recognized site on population matters. People have multiple phone lines, so you are wrong to use it to judge
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by Abagworo(m): 9:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

Nah, that's certainly not the only reason coz the Telcos data shows that even Edo state has more people than Anambra which is clearly the most populous state in the SE. The Ogun and Oyo figures alone sef is more than all the SE states combined according to those stats (doesn't even include Osun, ondo, and Ekiti). I think for some reason the SE region isn't experiencing as much population growth compared to other sections of the country.

The telecoms estimate is more accurate than any other we can ever think of. During census many Igbos in others States do come back to swell the population because Nigeria refused to include ethnicity. A significant number of those that swell the Northern and SW telecom users population are ethnic Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by RockHard: 9:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
Igboid:

Phone is not a basic need, and some even have more than one active lines.
I don't think it's a reliable population estimate.

I think since Yorubas claim to be Education loving as Ndiigbo and likewise SS tribes, the best way to get a population estimate is checking the population of subscribers of Of basic needs like Education.

In this case, JAMB enrollment stats for states is more weighty than phone subscription, and we know the SE had led the JAMB enrollment numbers in Nigeria for over 20 years now, this too is in conformation with the colonial population estimates that placed the population of Ndiigbo many levels ahead of those of Yorubas. cool
https://www.nairaland.com/237534/look-going-school-nigeria-statistics

Lol. Guy, you are better than this. How many students actually sit for jamb in a year relative to the number of those that don't get to? What percentage do they represent of the total student body in Nigeria? What demographic and age-group/bracket do they represent? Your logic simply won't fly. I might as well refer you to the raw WAEC data below as being representative of the population of the country. But even I know better than to do that.

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by YonkijiSappo: 9:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ogun is definitely in the top 5.
That state's population has probably more than doubled since last counting.

2 Likes

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by RealityShot: 9:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:
There are way more reliable data out there to guide us as to the true picture of things instead of this rubbish guesswork. NBS and the Telcos have made life much easier.

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/report/486
herk! 150 million people!
Plus 2+million barrels of oil daily!
No wonder all white countries are running to Nigeria to make money!

Nigeria is really flowing with milk and honey.

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 9:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
Bowwow11:
I dont agree wt dis statistics
check this thread for real data from NBS and NPC

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by ericuzor(m): 9:35pm On Feb 19, 2017
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 9:39pm On Feb 19, 2017
ericuzor:
all lies
Pure lies, who is TIN magazine and useless website that quoted them? And how can someone release 2017 estimate in February 2017?? Look at 2016 estimate by NPC and NBS on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/3545871/nbs-estimates-nigerias-population-now

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by slim75d(m): 9:40pm On Feb 19, 2017
explorer250:
who wrote this trash? recent stats from Nigeria population commission placed anambra higher than rivers so how the hell is rivers higher than anambra? and when Oyo reach 15m? this op stas is a pure joke.

how can you compare the population of rivers state to that of anambra. this is laughable, does igbos live in their state? evry body in nigeria knows that ibos re wanderers they live their state to search for greener pasture, i wonder if u cn find upto 10 rivers men in the whole of anambra

2 Likes

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by Igboid: 9:42pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

Lol. Guy, you are better than this. How many students actually sit for jamb in a year relative to the number of those that don't get to? What percentage do them represent of the total student body in Nigeria? What demographic and age-group/bracket do they represent? Your logic simply won't fly. I might as well refer you to the raw WAEC data below as being representative of the population of the country. But even I know better than to do that.

It is believed that all Southern groups pursuit education up to tertiary level.
So yes, JAMB is a better bench mark than telecom data, for while telecom data do not take cognizant of state of Origin, JAMB data does. The Igbo population is one that is in constant motion, JAMB stats capture state of Origin and thus is a superior tool.
Your WAEC stats does not take cognizant of state of Origin, for if it does, it would be seen that quite a significant number of those that sat for the exam at SW, SS and even Northern states are Igbos.

This is the 1938 colonial estimation of population of Nigeria groups:https://www.nairaland.com/3400415/1931-population-figures-nigerian-ethnic
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 9:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
slim75d:

how can you compare the population of rivers state to that of anambra. this is laughable, does igbos live in their state? evry body in nigeria knows that ibos re wanderers they live their state to search for greener pasture, i wonder if u cn find upto 10 rivers men in the whole of anambra
THe lies in the media has deformed many brains in Nigeria, meanwhile this thread shows data from NPC and NBC, Anambra is ahead of Rivers according to the part in bold, if you dare include state of Origin then Anambra will be Triple that of RIvers

National Population Commission (NPC) and the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) have put the current figure of Nigeria’s population at 193,392,517.
This is just as the Federal Government proposed a total budget of N9.799 billion for the NPC in 2017, which, according to the sources, is a little above the United Nations’ estimate of 186,988,000.

It will be recalled that the national population census was last conducted in Nigeria in 2006 when the total figure was put at 140,431,790.

According to the latest population forecasts released by NBS, in its website www.nigerianstat.gov.ng, Kano remains the largest state, by an estimated population figure of 13,076,892 than the population of Lagos which is put at 9,113,605.

However, there exists a sharp contradiction in the actual population figure of Lagos, as both the United Nations and Lagos State government put the population of Nigeria’s commercial capital at about 22 million.

The 2006 census figures put Kano population at 9,401,288 and that of Lagos at 12,550,598.

Some highlights of the latest estimates indicated that there are 98,630,184 males with 94,762,333 females.

Also, the population figure of infants within the age bracket of zero to four years, according to NBC and NBS, constituted the largest percentage of the population with 31,116,156, followed by the figure of those between five to nine years with a population of 27,549,964.

An analysis of the figures showed that Nigeria currently had an estimated population figure of 78,971,690 of those between the ages of 15 to 39.

According to the analysis, there were 106,257,431 people within the working population of 15 to 64 years.

It also showed that despite Boko Haram insurgency, which has ravaged substantial parts of the North-East since 2010, the population figure increased substantially.

From a population of 21,614,789 in 2010, the six states of the North-East is currently put at 26,263,866.

Six south-west states of Lagos, Ondo, Ogun, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti states, according to the analysis, grew from 31,533,821 in 2010 to 38,257,260.

The analysis also showed that Kaduna retains its position as third most populated state with 8,252,366 inhabitants followed by Oyo with current population estimate of 7,840,864, which outpaced Katsina now with a figure of 7,831,319.

In 2006, Katsina’s population followed that of Kaduna State while Oyo was in the fifth place.

Bayelsa maintains its position as the least populated of the 36 states of the federation with an estimated figure of 2,277,961.

Anambra is the most populated state in the south-east with 5,527,809 inhabitants while Rivers State leads in the south-south region with 5,198,716 people.

For the north-east, Bauchi is the largest state in terms of population with a figure of 4,653,066 while in the case of the north central, Benue leads with 5,741,815 inhabitants.

According to the details of 2017 budget proposal submitted to National Assembly, by President Muhammadu Buhari, NPC will fully commence preparation for 2018 population census during 2017.

A stakeholders’ conference to present the 2018 census instrument to gulp N50 million, would hold during the year while N41.7 million has been earmarked for training of staff in Washington, for data collection and interviewing techniques.

There is also a proposal for N1.950 billion to be spent on field demarcation and another N1 billion is expected to be deployed to acquiring satellite imagery.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/nbs-estimates-nigerias-population-now-193-3-million/
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by RockHard: 9:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
Igboid:

It is believed that all Southern groups pursuit education up to tertiary level.
So yes, JAMB is a better bench mark then telecom data, for while telecom data do not take cognizant of state of Origin, JAMB data does.
Your WAEC stats does not take cognizant of state of Origin, for if it does, it would be seen that quite a significant number of those that sat for the exam at SW, SS and even Northern states are Igbos.

This is the 1938 colonial estimation of population of Nigeria groups:

Crap. Do graduate/non-graduate working adults and 40, 50, 60, 70yr olds sit for JAMB? No, they don't but guess what? They have phones. Quit being disingenuous. I know you're an igbo supremacist and all, but you need to learn to be objective at times. Everything shouldn't be reduced to and given an ethnic and tribal coloration. Your attempt to discredit the Telco data is dead-on-arrival.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by Oxtonguy: 10:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

Crap. Do graduate/non-graduate working adults and 40, 50, 60, 70yr olds sit for JAMB? No, they don't but guess what? They have phones. Quit being disingenuous. I know you're an igbo supremacist and all, but you need to learn to be objective at times. Everything shouldn't be reduced to and given an ethnic and tribal coloration. Your attempt to discredit the Telco data is dead-on-arrival.
Infants and juveniles wearing pampers full nairaland grin no mind that guy. As soon as I read the post. I just can't stop laughing in Aisha tunes nkekekekekeke grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by ibietela2(m): 10:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
[s]
mandarin:
Having traveled across some of these states in the last one year and some even most recently I think these are just brandies figures from hell! Where are the millions? Haha!
I've never believed in the population figure of Nigeria because honestly, its full of unverifiable figures. As at the year I was at katsina state cross crossing the state I didn't see where over 4million people stated by NPC were. Apart from Lagos which resident population(excluding those that just come to trade or come to work from nearby Ogun State) may be around 13-15 million why Ogun state should be over 6million considering the huge number of residents that actually do business in Lagos state.

I was still in kano un the last three weeks, taken that the north has more rural dwellers but its hard to believe and in fact, that of Kaduna, Bauchi Jigawa and katsina are completely false!!!!
I think if true population of Nigeria is to be determined by accurate census or registration, the top five will most likely look like this:
1. Lagos
2. Ogun
3. Kano
4. Oyo
5. FCT
Like I've said it in other forums, I still find it hard to believe that resident population of Kano can be greater than that of Oyo state but I can admit a huge population do come to buy and sell.The one I know is growing so fast is the FCT and alot of people and businesses have relocated to the FCT from the interior of northern Nigeria so you can expect Niger and Nasarawa aroud the FCT to grow.

The telecoms active voice calls in each state we must admit is an indication of high business activities which can form critical part in understanding the population and to a large extent determine residential population for non business calls but someone can argue, what about poverty index, the ownership of cell phones can help more, school enrollment, birth registrations and other positive statistics not rolling out rogue figures!
[/s]
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by David97: 10:10pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ooni:
This is the political population the real one is hidden.

Exactly
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 10:11pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

Lol. Guy, you are better than this. How many students actually sit for jamb in a year relative to the number of those that don't get to? What percentage do them represent of the total student body in Nigeria? What demographic and age-group/bracket do they represent? Your logic simply won't fly. I might as well refer you to the raw WAEC data below as being representative of the population of the country. But even I know better than to do that.
Just like your phone line date, the WAEC date won't fly too. Consider this, Anambra's economic strength is its numerous huge open markets, these markets attracts people who could not further their education who come to learn trade. Most of them can't even dream of WAEC but make and become very rich through trade.
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 10:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

If you cant defend your claim, don't bring the tribal bulshit here. Telco data is invalid, because people are not restricted to one phone line, it is your attempt to use Telco data that is dead on arrival. Yahoo boys in SW and Edo may have "millions" of lines FYI. You are masturbating on TIN magazine estimate but have not said anything on the NPC and NBS data which are govt recognized.

1 Like

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by akigbemaru: 10:18pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ok
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by RockHard: 10:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
basilo102:

Just like your phone line date, the WAEC date won't fly too. Consider this, Anambra's economic strength is its numerous huge open markets, these markets attracts people who could not further their education who come to learn trade. Most of them can't even dream of WAEC but make and become very rich through trade.

I've tried ignoring you but since you mentioned me, I have just one question for you. How do you explain those Anambra/SE Telco data numbers? Is it that Anambra/SE folks don't like using phones? Una traders, students, parents, civil servants, farmers, politicians e.t.c no dey make calls or buy phones like the rest of the country? Or your people are so rural and backward that they are averse to modern telephony?? Whether you like it or not, that raw Telco data is the closest thing we have to a credible estimate -- you can choose to add or subtract a million to/from any of those numbers and it wouldn't make much of a difference. The NBS figures you're touting are mere extrapolated/theoretical estimates that have absolutely no empirical basis. undecided

7 Likes

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by officialJP(m): 10:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
higher population won't solve our problems let it be reduced like China did two kids per couple
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 10:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

Truth is, only a neutral/independent party's data (like the Telcos') can be relied upon when it comes to this sort of subject matter in the Nigerian context because government-related sources can be easily compromised, for obvious reasons.
Stop trying to sell Telco data as population data despite its obvious flaws. Visit this thread
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by basilo102: 10:29pm On Feb 19, 2017
RockHard:

I've tried ignoring you but since you mentioned me, I have just one question for you. How do you explain those Anambra/SE Telco data numbers? Is it that Anambra/SE folks don't like using phones? Una traders, students, parents, civil servants, farmers, politicians e.t.c no dey make calls or buy phones like the rest of the country? Or your people are so rural and backward that they are averse to modern telephony?? Whether you like it or not, that raw Telco data is the closest thing we have to a credible estimate -- you can choose to add or subtract a million to/from any of those numbers and it wouldn't make much of a difference. The NBS figures you're touting are mere extrapolated/theoretical estimates that have absolutely no empirical basis. undecided
Lol, see argument?? There is no limit to the number on lines someone can operate and that makes telco data invalid. as simple as that. Visit this thread. FCT is higer than Rivers in your flawed Telco data
Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by RockHard: 10:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
basilo102:

Stop trying to sell Telco data as population data despite its obvious flaws. Visit this thread

Dude, I don't have to visit any thread to know that you're letting your ego get the better of you. Telco datas are based on REGISTERED LINES! Those lines are REAL lines that belong to REAL people. Infact, that data is more reliable than any data NPC has ever cooked-up since Nigeria started conducting censuses. Telcos are neutral/independent parties here. The figures you're touting sef is based on a discredited premise - The abysmally flawed and fraudulent 2006 Census. If the premise if flawed, obviously nothing credible can come from and out of it. Look, you can choose to believe whatever you like, that's your business.

6 Likes

Re: Most Populated States In Nigeria 2017(estimates) by RockHard: 10:35pm On Feb 19, 2017
basilo102:

Lol, see argument?? There is no limit to the number on lines someone can operate and that makes telco data invalid. as simple as that. Visit this thread

Yinmu. You're just a sore loser. Quit quoting me abeg. You can believe whatever you want.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Save My Life: Sonia Ekweremadu Appeals For Kidney Donation / Pyrates Confraternity Officially Responds To The Trending Emilokan Video / Buhari/Osinbajo’s Whereabouts: Arewa Youths Call For Femi Adesina’s Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.