Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians (13570 Views)

Freethinkers! How Did Your Self-awakening Start? / Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 11:06am On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

In the "unknown" now. What if the "unknown" is the where and when it matters most? .
Assumptions, abstractions and perplexity, which in the first place, created the god idea in the minds of the cave men.

It's not surprising that 21st century folks still romance this basic level of thinking. It evidenced the power of religious beliefs, as it inhibits human minds from advancing into critical and realistic thought mode.

bennyann:

The Your intelligence can't help you always because you are not omniscient,.
Who's omniscient?
What's omniscient?
What practical use is omniscience?

bennyann:

infact all of the intelligence put together is not even to the beginning level of the omniscient. .
You're still doing infantile abstract thinking.

Why will you say "in fact"?

When you even can't tell me just ONE instance, that my intelligence can't help me.

bennyann:

And don't think of branching akintom, I won't follow you there. I still still have a whole lot to read on this thread.

Thank you.
You shouldn't be putting in the public place, that which you can't intelligently discuss then.

I expect no less from a mind prodded, by primitive pattern of thinking. That's the summary of religious beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by CatfishBilly: 11:22am On Feb 22, 2017
When I posted a thread here about how prayers failed my patients and it was pushed to FP, a colleague who recognised my NL moniker posted the thread on a WhatsApp group of my colleagues of which I am a member and called me out as an atheist. I really feared the worst because, I wasn't yet ready to declare my beliefs (I've only come out to one person and she totally understood me), surprisingly, nothing happened. That piece of information was ignored and people continued talking about whatever it was that they were talking about. Maybe, Nigerians are really open minded, you never know.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:27am On Feb 22, 2017
Seun:

The difference is that she is likely to be right, because her position is based on evidence and logic, while their position is based on blind faith.

It's not about intelligence. It's about rationality, skepticism, intellectual honesty, scientific education, etc. Religious people can have high IQs.

Atheism is based on the emotional mind and ignorance . Why do you think most unintelligent people are atheist ? Huh ? Explain that ? Why did the few intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Alan Turing become one after losing a loved one ? You became an atheist because are indignant God did not help you . Explain why most people become atheist after a tragic or traumatic event in their life ?

Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man has two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness .

So what's my point : you are an atheist because of your emotional mind not your rational mind . Your opinion about God is a product of your emotional mind apparently . Why do you think arguments against Gods existence are based on emotions like : why do people suffer , why do the innocent die , why God can't stop some bad things from happening , God is not a good God because he killed or punished people severely or why would a good God punish people in Hell ? These arguments were made based on the atheist emotions not rationality . Do you still doubt ? It is possible Stephen Hawking is most likely an atheist because of his condition , most Nairaland atheists including you are atheists because they sought help and none came ; Richard Dawkins became a rabid atheist because his daughter died , Alan Turing became an atheist after his girl friend died . These people couldn't handle these situations with equanimity and their emotional minds are speaking out not their rational minds .

Have you ever wondered why the greatest minds in the history of mankind acknowledged the existence of God and why some of these greatest minds rejected the notion of a personal God ? The ones who rejected the concept of a personal God precluded being overwhelmed by thoughts from their emotional minds so they decided that God does not intervene in the affairs of men because they clearly understood the logical consequences of outrightly repudiating the existence of God .

Don't pontificate next time and stop attempting to attach rationality and logic to atheism . Great minds like Newton , Edison , Einstein , Plato , Socrates , Xenophanes , Planck , Lincoln , Leibniz and so many others are turning in their grave whenever you do so . Choose deism if you can't handle theism .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 11:37am On Feb 22, 2017
CatfishBilly:
When I posted a thread here about how prayers failed my patients and it was pushed to FP, a colleague who recognised my NL moniker posted the thread on a WhatsApp group of my colleagues of which I am a member and called me out as an atheist. I really feared the worst because, I wasn't yet ready to declare my beliefs (I've only come out to one person and she totally understood me), surprisingly, nothing happened. That piece of information was ignored and people continued talking about whatever it was that they were talking about. Maybe, Nigerians are really open minded, you never know.

Your observation is correct. I have on my Facebook friend list, the who is who in the organization that i work with. In fact my CEO, once screamed blasphemy in response to one of my posts.

But not ONCE has my being atheist come up for discussion when i meet these folks physically.

I followed up on official matters to the highest level in the organization, not once has my correspondence been treated out of the formal route of processing.

My conclusion is that most of these professing religious folks are mere NOMINAL folks, who are mostly comfortable with being religious in the public, but indifferent/atheistic/agnostic/skeptic etc in their private lives.

And once you an atheist, can INTELLIGENTLY dismantle/demystify religious beliefs and god idea, these folks are no threat. They just get used to you, ignore you, promise to pray for you etc.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 11:42am On Feb 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

[s]Atheism is based on the emotional mind and ignorance . Why do you think most unintelligent people are atheist ? Huh ? Explain that ? Why did the few intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Alan Turing become one after losing a loved one ? You became an atheist because are indignant God did not help you . Explain why most people become atheist after a tragic or traumatic event in their life ?

Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man had two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness .

So what's my point : you are an atheist because of your emotional mind not your rational mind . Your opinion about God is a product of your emotional mind apparently . Why do you think arguments against Gods existence are based on emotions like : why do people suffer , why do the innocent die , why God can't stop some bad things from happening , God is not a good God because he killed or punished people severely or why would a good God punish people in Hell ? These arguments were made based on the atheist emotions not rationality . Do you still doubt ? It is possible Stephen Hawking is most likely an atheist because of his condition , most Nairaland atheists including you are atheists because they sought help and none came ; Richard Dawkins became a rabid atheist because his daughter died , Alan Turing became an atheist after his girl friend died . These people couldn't handle these situations with equanimity and their emotional minds are speaking out not their rational minds .

Have you ever wondered why the greatest minds in the history of mankind acknowledged the existence of God and why some of these greatest minds rejected the notion of a personal God ? The ones who rejected the concept of a personal God precluded being overwhelmed by thoughts from their emotional minds so they decided that God does not intervene in the affairs of men because they clearly understood the logical consequences of outrightly repudiating the existence of God .

Don't pontificate next time and stop attempting to attach rationality and logic to atheism . Great minds like Newton , Edison , Einstein , Plato , Socrates , Xenophanes , Planck , Lincoln , Leibniz and so many others are turning in their grave whenever you do so . Choose deism if you can't handle theism .[/s]

2 possibilities here

1. Sciencewatch has gotten hold of Kingebukasblog phone and he used his monicker to post this rant

2. The spirit of Sciencewatch has descended on Kingebukasblog like the day of pentecost

its just filled with so much gibber with nothing to back it up that its better mocked and poo pooed which are the only sensible things its for

BTW, if you're here to argue and rant in order to prove the existence of your non existent friend you call Yahweh, there are several threads already for that, a simple look at the front-page of religion section shows many threads to that effect, you can go and give your inane rants that carry no substance there

this thread is about the merits and demerits of coming out atheist/freethinker, let's keep it on topic, take a cue from more mature people like Bennyann, RosaConsidine etc

NB: my fellow atheists should also not reply this rant as its only made to derail this beautiful thread and spread nonsensical illogicalities

Thanks for your cooperation

10 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 11:45am On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

Brother Hope, are you sure? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Absolutely!!!
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 11:53am On Feb 22, 2017
akintom:

Assumptions, abstractions and perplexity, which in the first place, created the god idea in the minds of the cave men.

Then I think you are also a cave man. The difference between you and them is that the assumptions created a no God idea in your mind.

Like science don't make assumptions and it wasn't the assumptions that lead to research, theories and facts. undecided

It's not surprising that 21st century folks still romance this basic level of thinking. It evidenced the power of religious beliefs, as it inhibits human minds from advancing into critical and realistic thought mode.

Who's omniscient?
What's omniscient?
What practical use is omniscience?

I'm not stopping you from romancing with your apex level of thinking. Reality is relative.

At least you know there's a limit to your thinking faculty.

And stop sounding as though you don't know there are unknowns.

You're still doing infantile abstract thinking.

Why will you say "in fact"?

When you even can't tell me just ONE instance, that my intelligence can't help me.

Sir, I don't disagree with you my thinking seems infantile because sometimes the simple things seem to be the answers especially when not expected but I never knew your intelligence can help you in all instances.

You shouldn't be putting in the public place, that which you can't intelligently discuss then.

I expect no less from a mind prodded, by primitive pattern of thinking. That's the summary of religious beliefs.

Intelligently discuss? You guys and intelligence.

I have the right to public discussion whether it sounds intelligent or not. Sir akintom, if you don't like it, please don't stoop so low to my level. I only thought it wouldn't be respectful if I did not reply your previous quote, that's why I replied and also made you aware I wouldn't want to go further.

I wouldn't want to give a summary of your irreligious beliefs and its impact on the way you think. I don't want to climb too high to your level because I can't I guess.

Thank you...
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 11:55am On Feb 22, 2017
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 11:58am On Feb 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

2 possibilities here

1. Sciencewatch has gotten hold of Kingebukasblog phone and he used his monicker to post this rant

2. The spirit of Sciencewatch has descended on Kingebukasblog like the day of pentecost

its just filled with so much gibber with nothing to back it up that its better mocked and poo pooed which are the only sensible things its for

"Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man had two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness ".

One major idiotic behavior that Christian religion confers on the adherents, especially those that have progressed to " consciously acquired religious idiocy - CARI", like the author of the above quote, is the believe that being a Christian, they know everything, and that every other knowledge (including specialized knowledge) can be understood by the "anointing/holey gut.

How the ignorance induced stuff below,

" The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind"

is possible, can only come from christard.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 12:01pm On Feb 22, 2017
akintom:

"Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man had two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness ".

One major idiotic behavior that Christian religion confers on the adherents, especially those that have progressed to " consciously acquired religious idiocy - CARI", like the author of the above quote, is the believe that being a Christian, they know everything, and that every other knowledge (including specialized knowledge) can be understood by the "anointing/holey gut.

How the ignorance induced stuff below,

" The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind"

is possible, can only come from christard.

pls, ignore those that are here to derail this thread with their attention seeking and Red herrings

let's make this thread stay on its course

CC Liberadeus, Hahn, Randomperson, Lennycool, Jonbellion, Sirwere, Seun

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 12:02pm On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:
LiberaDeus Well-done ehn. I can't believe I came here late.

So you think I'm not a free thinker. As your free thinking is biased towards Deism, it is the same way mine is biased towards Christianity. grin

I support that freethinkers should be outspoken because I hate pretense with a passion but wisdom should be applied as to where ( so you won't kill yourself for nothing if it's in the north grin) and how ( stop mocking others decisions, respect is needed in conversations) and when ( just know the right time to say it, not to spite one but to make them understand) and to whom ( you should know who to trust about your faith and not to tell those that may use it against you. There's no book telling you to be outspoken like the Christians. But I insist your loved ones should be aware especially the one you would want to get married to).

A time is coming this wouldn't be issues anymore to your likes in Nigeria because the world is framed to be like that already. So I wouldn't be surprised when that time comes. Besides I can't wait for Jesus to come take me home cheesy

What I'm trying to say is Wisdom is what is needed for now for your own safety but be transparent to your loved ones and those that matter to you. Honesty is a key to so many things.

Well, me I can't hide Jesus but wisdom is still needed.

But don't you all forget you need Jesus. Your intelligence won't help you where and when it matters most.

Thank you for your comment.

I like the fact that you are firmly believing in your religion and still maintaining a liberal tolerating attitude.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by jonbellion(m): 12:10pm On Feb 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

[s]Atheism is based on the emotional mind and ignorance . Why do you think most unintelligent people are atheist ? Huh ? Explain that ? Why did the few intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Alan Turing become one after losing a loved one ? You became an atheist because are indignant God did not help you . Explain why most people become atheist after a tragic or traumatic event in their life ?

Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man had two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness .

Don't pontificate next time and stop attempting to attach rationality and logic to atheism . Great minds like Newton , Edison , Einstein , Plato , Socrates , Xenophanes , Planck , Lincoln , Leibniz and so many others are turning in their grave whenever you do so . Choose deism if you can't handle theism .[/s]
undecided

5 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 12:31pm On Feb 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

2 possibilities here

BTW, if you're here to argue and rant in order to prove the existence of your non existent friend you call Yahweh, there are several threads already for that, a simple look at the front-page of religion section shows many threads to that effect, you can go and give your inane rants that carry no substance there

this thread is about the merits and demerits of coming out atheist, let's keep it on topic, take a cue from more mature people like Bennyann, RosaConsidine etc

NB: my fellow atheists should also not reply this rant as its only made to derail this beautiful thread and spread nonsensical illogicalities

Thanks for your cooperation

My brother, sciencewatch and ebukasblog are two sides of one coin.

Implying that ebuka is smarter is too much of a compliment.

The only difference between them is that Sciencewatch is the most incoherent confused moniker whose posts are like merry go rounds. I have honestly tried to understand what that guy says and I have given up,

he starts his post like one on a journey to VI from Ikeja, he then diverts to apapa-oshodi then enters orile then comes out at costain then climbs eko bridge then connects to third mainland then goes straight to cms then turns back and finally lands at yaba grin grin

The guy na case, him and his stupid alternate moniker named Hond aka brave atheist.
If I had met these folks when I was a Christian I would have deconverted since 2008. Even xtians on this forum know that these guys are a freaking joke.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 12:37pm On Feb 22, 2017
akintom:

Your observation is correct. I have on my Facebook friend list, the who is who in the organization that i work with. In fact my CEO, once screamed blasphemy in response to one of my posts.

But not ONCE has my being atheist come up for discussion when i meet these folks physically.

I followed up on official matters to the highest level in the organization, not once has my correspondence been treated out of the formal route of processing.

My conclusion is that most of these professing religious folks are mere NOMINAL folks, who are mostly comfortable with being religious in the public, but indifferent/atheistic/agnostic/skeptic etc in their private lives.

And once you an atheist, can INTELLIGENTLY dismantle/demystify religious beliefs and god idea, these folks are no threat. They just get used to you, ignore you, promise to pray for you etc.

That's what I have been saying, the fear is overhyped.
When I was a devout christian, the only atheists I knew where my university professors and I can't recall hating them for it. Even the well known celebrity satanists ate still accepted by mainstream Christians.

I feel it will be self entitled and selfish for me to still try and eat my cake and have it. Some people face the danger of death in the north and they still stick to their beliefs, how much more me in the south surrounded by liberals or fake conservatives who can't and won't harm me. Why won't I stand fort beliefs.

I have accepted the fact that not every body will like me, they can hate, judge and gossip but if my one doesn't pay attention then it won't matter as long as they can't touch you.

I think its time we stopped hiding and we give these religious people the benefit of doubt that they can hear a message so opposing to everything they stand for and they would in most cases still be civil.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 12:39pm On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

Wow! cheesy

LiberaDeus, hope you are learning ooo. Don't go and deceive one Christian girl somewhere or you will not enjoy your marriage the way you should grin

There are indeed different types of atheists. The pure minded ones and the........ lipsrsealed

Haha Haha madam,

I won't deceive anyone.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 12:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

What's now the difference between you and the religious ones? undecided you keep calling each other darkness and calling yourselves light. Na wa oooooo

When some are thinking of liberating the soul, my oga is thinking of liberating the mind. Everything is just about mental power and intelligence to you.

The difference between you and the religious is that your nature of intelligence is contrary to theirs. You like playing around with being the smartest and the most intelligent.......

Who told you, you yourself have been liberated mentally? Or what makes you think so? The fact that you are free from religious mentality doesn't mean you are not in bondage to another form of mental captivity.

Actually our nature of intelligence is the same format.
The difference is that when logic is killed by religion, instead of the institutions to go back and admit and reform their beliefs, they invoke copouts and excuses, they invent fake virtues like blind faith( accepted stupidity), spiritual eyes and they lash out at the messengers and the contradictions pile up.

Religions always started logically, they logically tried to explain the world, the only problem is that religions claimed supreme authority and didn't offer the option of being possibly wrong, as time elapsed, knowledge increased and clear religious doctrines were found to be laughable and wrong, the religious institutions have just reacted to that by claiming superior spiritual knowledge.

Let's look at the world from the 18th century till today
Scientists studied the world and didn't claim to have definite, unshakable , universal truths. Because of this fact, science had modified and remodified its theories countless times without any hassle and the world is better for it.

Religions at that time claimed to have the eternal truth and from that time on, what we have been seeing in religious institutions is division and divisions, fighting against sciences advancements, fighting to maintain moral relevance and most importantly losing numbers.

This analogy reminds me of a powerful statement that Jesus made in the bible
" he who humbles(science) himself will be exalted and he who exalts himself would be humbled(religion)"

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 12:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
Seun:
The difference is that she is likely to be right, because her position is based on evidence and logic, while their position is based on blind faith.
It's good to know not all faiths are blind.

It's not about intelligence. It's about rationality, skepticism, intellectual honesty, scientific education, etc. Religious people can have high IQs.
We are all rational beings and I'm sure there are religious people that are intellectually honest.

We also know "freethinkers" can't do without talking about intelligence. It's just so amazing how a certain group of people brag about intelligence like they know it all.

It seems the new meaning for intelligence is the absence of God. That's what I sense anytime I see the word here.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 12:58pm On Feb 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Absolutely!!!

That's my guy cheesy cheesy

But extend it more to nairaland also... Don't make us think you are what you are not sad
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 1:08pm On Feb 22, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Haha Haha madam,

I won't deceive anyone.

I will take your word for it as long as I don't hear pim smiley
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by jonbellion(m): 1:15pm On Feb 22, 2017
Well I've always been outspoken about my views. My immediate family know about my atheism though when I'm in Nigeria I call myself a "nominal christian" or apathetic christian it's kind of a soft landing grin. At least it's clear I'm not religious
Though I have told some people about my atheism anyway it's not something i tell everybody especially in Nigeria. Somebody I just met who didn't know ANYTHING about me said my life would have been better if I believed in God
Lmao
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
jonbellion:
Well I've always been outspoken about my views. My immediate family know about my atheism though when I'm in Nigeria I call myself a "nominal christian" or apathetic christian it's kind of a soft landing grin. At least it's clear I'm not religious
Though I have told some people about my atheism anyway it's not something i tell everybody especially in Nigeria. Somebody I just met who didn't know ANYTHING about me said my life would have been better if I believed in God
Lmao

Finally the truth surfaces . Felixomor , come and see oo grin grin

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by felixomor: 1:24pm On Feb 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol
We always knew brother. cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by jonbellion(m): 1:29pm On Feb 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I'm still agnostic to an extent tongue
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by bennyann: 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Actually our nature of intelligence is the same format.
The difference is that when logic is killed by religion, instead of the institutions to go back and admit and reform their beliefs, they invoke copouts and excuses, they invent fake virtues like blind faith( accepted stupidity), spiritual eyes and they lash out at the messengers and the contradictions pile up.

Religions always started logically, they logically tried to explain the world, the only problem is that religions claimed supreme authority and didn't offer the option of being possibly wrong, as time elapsed, knowledge increased and clear religious doctrines were found to be laughable and wrong, the religious institutions have just reacted to that by claiming superior spiritual knowledge.

Let's look at the world from the 18th century till today
Scientists studied the world and didn't claim to have definite, unshakable , universal truths. Because of this fact, science had modified and remodified its theories countless times without any hassle and the world is better for it.

Religions at that time claimed to have the eternal truth and from that time on, what we have been seeing in religious institutions is division and divisions, fighting against sciences advancements, fighting to maintain moral relevance and most importantly losing numbers.

This analogy reminds me of a powerful statement that Jesus made in the bible
" he who humbles(science) himself will be exalted and he who exalts himself would be humbled(religion)"

I understand all you are trying to say and I agree with most. It's just that you're making it sound like religion stopped you from growing scientifically or logically. I think we are the ones stopping ourselves from growing and blaming it on religion.

But brother, did Christianity also stop you from growing logically or scientifically? I think it's individuals that decide to be ignorant and remain there.

There's nothing wrong with getting knowledge, understanding and wisdom, then worshipping God in the midst of all these. Or did the Bible tell you not to increase or grow in knowledge?

I think this is what happens when we give God our part to do.

I like your conclusion so much and it's funny but don't forget you are the ones bragging now.... Maybe religion will go back to its first position as a result grin
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 1:54pm On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

I understand all you are trying to say and I agree with most. It's just that you're making it sound like religion stopped you from growing scientifically or logically. I think we are the ones stopping ourselves from growing and blaming it on religion.

But brother, did Christianity also stop you from growing logically or scientifically? I think it's individuals that decide to be ignorant and remain there.

There's nothing wrong with getting knowledge, understanding and wisdom, then worshipping God in the midst of all these. Or did the Bible tell you not to increase or grow in knowledge?

I like your conclusion so much and it's funny but don't forget you are the ones bragging now.... Maybe religion will go back to its first position as a result grin

Yes you are right.

Many progressive educated scientists are religious. Christianity and Buddhism are religions that encourage social progression and improvement.

Am not talking of human and social progress here
Am talking of people reaching the conclusion that religions are false, they do that because they analyse them critically and get there. When people do that , religious people now claim their beliefs or their dogma can't be understood by normal intelligence thereby creating a dichotomy that no one should argue with.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 22, 2017
CatfishBilly:
waoh. That colleague of yours is lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. About Nigerians being open minded, yes I agree to some extent
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by RosaConsidine: 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2017
bennyann:

This, this, this a thousand times! Too many Nigerian Christians think acquiring knowledge and expanding their horizons and worldviews equates to abandoning Christianity and losing faith in God. I have told lots of people on several occasions that knowledge is on thing and faith is another - each does not require suspension of the other to be strong or valid. Which is why I encourage fellow Christians to think critically, to search for a higher truth that they don't have to hide behind a shroud of mystery. Sure, there are some things to which we'll never get definitive answers but that doesn't mean we should stop inquiring. I think it's this large scale close mindedness that gives the more militant nonbelievers munitions to attack our belief because even we truly can't defend the two basic questions of belief - what we believe and why we believe it.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 22, 2017
Lepasharon, hi
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by blueAgent(m): 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

True. the Dude is confused like all other Atheists.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by blueAgent(m): 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Atheism is based on the emotional mind and ignorance . Why do you think most unintelligent people are atheist ? Huh ? Explain that ? Why did the few intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Alan Turing become one after losing a loved one ? You became an atheist because are indignant God did not help you . Explain why most people become atheist after a tragic or traumatic event in their life ?

Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man has two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness .

Don't pontificate next time and stop attempting to attach rationality and logic to atheism . Great minds like Newton , Edison , Einstein , Plato , Socrates , Xenophanes , Planck , Lincoln , Leibniz and so many others are turning in their grave whenever you do so . Choose deism if you can't handle theism .

Excellent post Bro. they only discover their is no God when their selfish desire is not met.
but they will never accept that they are Baised.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:

Excellent post Bro. they only discover their is no God when their selfish desire is not met.

Exactly bro . Thanks .

Hopefully , they'll come to that realization .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by CatfishBilly: 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:

I've not had any personal misfortune that I'm aware of, on the contrary, everything has been smooth sailing for me. So, I don't know where you got that mindset/view from.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Picture Of The American Missionary Who Was Released By Kidnappers / What Almost Broke Your Faith In GOD And How You Overcame It? / The Basis Of Human Morality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.