Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians (13522 Views)

Freethinkers! How Did Your Self-awakening Start? / Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 6:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
Hello all,

I am creating this topic for the purpose of discussing how freethinkers should conduct themselves in Nigeria and the world at large.

There is a widespread opinion that freethinkers should be undercover in Nigeria because of what Nigerians can do to you and how the society would react, I have a contrary opinion to that. I believe freethinkers should be more outspoken but not aggressive, there are exceptions to this e.g northern Nigeria.

These are my reasons below
1. You are doing a great service to the nation even though you would be vilified for it

Many religious people and church goers have serious doubts about the efficacy of their religions but they eventually find a way to shelve the doubts in a compartment of their mind, they do this because they are either uninformed or they have never met a freethinker before , if they had met one they would be know that freethinkers are people like them.

Many of them even feel crazy for feeling these doubts, they think something is wrong with them, in reality they need to see a well functioning human in society who doesn't subscribe to religious beliefs for them to know that their doubts are shared by others.

When freethinkers hide and pretend to go with the flow, you are doing a great disservice to people who actually need guidance, guidance doesn't necessarily mean you giving advice but just being visible, their brains would work everything out for them.

Sometimes people need confidence and community to be strong in their convictions. Take NL for example, as at 6 years ago, how many non religious people were on this section? But because of the confidence of some atheists, many have been set free from the shackles of religion just because they viewed religious debates. Imagine just 100,000 freethinkers in Lagos alone being outspoken, there would be a massive gradual effect.

This remains our country and if we allow small minded people to feel smart about their beliefs then we would be bringing out kids to a backward, misogynistic, bigoted country. But by being outspoken then we can soften the landing for future generations.

2. Your fear of religious people is a bit overhyped

For those living in the northern part of the country, I think your fear is justified but for those living in the liberal south and middle belt then your fear is overhyped.

Lets face it, not all Christians are like pidgin and Analice, we still have the likes of bennyann etc. I have engaged in like 3 religious debates with colleagues before, I tried to be as mild as possible, the funny thing is that those people still related with me afterwards.

Maybe it's because they had known me for a while so they just assumed I was like them. When they found out about my agnosticism, it was too late. I think a safe method would be to act as normal as possible so as not too arouse too much interest but when folks have known you well then they can know you don't belong with them.

I think we fear religious people so much, maybe because they are in the majority and for the stuff they believe, nothing is too much for them to do. I think many religious people are tolerant enough to let you be even with your atheism.

This also depends on the lifestyle you have, I believe if you have been intellectually daring enough to doubt and criticize the largest nd oldest institutions in the world then I don't think you should be insecure in relationships or even be itching to be accepted. If you are the insecure type, then make sure you pretend to be normal and religious.

We saw the thread created by someone complaining about what atheism has to offer him, am sure the dude had been ostracized by religious folks thereby making him want to belong again.

As for me, I don't need peoples acceptance especially when they are so religious. If you can let me live and breathe, that's ok by me. When you are confident, people are more drawn to you and find you more fascinating but even if people avoid you, it won't matter because based on your intellectual level, those folks would have never been interesting to you at all, so why lose sleep over a relationship that would be shallow at best.

3. My last reason and I should say the strongest is ; be outspoken for your internal freedom. We think we know ourselves so much, believe me, when you are open about your life style you actually see yourself better than ever.

When you try and mould yourself into what the society accepts, you lose a part of yourself. For me , I can't be giving excuses when people ask me why I didn't go to church on Sunday, why should I lie to a human being just to please or appear normal? Being outspoken to your family and friends also sieves fake and judgemental people away from you. Believe me when I say its better to have just 3 real friends than 40 normal acquaintances. I don't like the burden of being friendly or even pretending to be friendly with everyone, anything that even sieves or separates me from ignorant people would be appreciated.

For all these points there are exceptions which include ;
1. Don't tell any interviewer that you are an atheist or agnostic . They would see your confidence as a sign of trouble. Odds are high that the interviewer goes to one of the modern day Pentecostal churches, they would see it as a real service to their god if they deny you the job.

2. When you are dating, don't tell your partner the sum total of your religious conclusions, let him/her know the little doubts but not the sum total. People see these things as signs of how the relationship would eventually be.

3. If you are seeking a contract e.g building contract, electrical contract, ict contract etc don't expose your religious beliefs .

Please only freethinkers should comment

Cc Hahn, HopefulLandlord, SirWere, Akintom, jonbellion, Seun, lepasharon, Desepiero, johnnydon22, niflheim, dalaman

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by lepasharon(f): 6:24pm On Feb 19, 2017
JackBizzle
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2017
lepasharon:
JackBizzle

I forgot that you don't live in our cesspit.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by lepasharon(f): 6:39pm On Feb 19, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Lol lipsrsealed
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by lepasharon(f): 6:43pm On Feb 19, 2017
LiberaDeus:

I don't know if your thread applies to women. Nigerians are bullies, they will defo pick on a woman for being non religious

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 6:48pm On Feb 19, 2017
lepasharon:

I don't know if your thread applies to women. Nigerians are bullies, they will defo pick on a woman for being non religious

As a woman, you would need to have a real thick skin in Nigeria. Here are a list of things you could be called

1. A demonic witch trying to allow Satan enter the family of your spouse. More like a jezebel.

2. A debaucher: an immoral lady who wants to have her way and do as she likes

If you can't endure such things then no need coming clean. But I believe the truth that unfolds when you leave religion is so humongous, the intellectual strength needed to break free from religion is so much that if you have successfully done that then most likely you would be immune from such tirades

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by tobechi74: 6:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
jack bizzle , logicboy , now another name. Na waoow.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by MrMontella(m): 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
LiberaDeus:
1. Don't tell any interviewer that you are an atheist or agnostic . They would see your confidence as a sign of trouble. Odds are high that the interviewer goes to one of the modern day Pentecostal churches, they would see it as a real service to their god if they deny you the job.

2. When you are dating, don't tell your partner the sum total of your religious conclusions, let him/her know the little doubts but not the sum total. People see these things as signs of how the relationship would eventually be.

3. If you are seeking a contract e.g building contract, electrical contract , ict contract etc don't expose your religious beliefs.
cold hard truth bro
and lol at highlighted
Nigeria is over religious so the above precautions are necessary sometimes
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
MrMontella:

cold hard truth bro
and lol at highlighted
Nigeria is over religious so the above precautions are necessary sometimes

Oh yeah

Mr.Montella How do you present yourself to people in Nigeria ? As a Christian, atheist , agnostic or maybe occultist
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 7:56pm On Feb 19, 2017
LiberaDeus:
Hello all,

Based on my experience in married life, am very clear about one thing, which is that relationships are as unique as each one.

This means that when you get involved with someone, you must strive to understand what works with the person.

In case an atheist have marriage in view when dating, i advice that full disclosure be the option (my personal opinion though).

You will be justified when complications (beliefs conflict) occurs in future, if only you have dealt truthfully at the onset.

10 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 7:57pm On Feb 19, 2017
LiberaDeus:
Hello all,

I am creating this topic for the purpose of discussing how freethinkers should conduct themselves in Nigeria and the world at large.

There is a widespread opinion that freethinkers should be undercover in Nigeria because of what Nigerians can do to you and how the society would react, I have a contrary opinion to that. I believe freethinkers should be more outspoken but not aggressive, there are exceptions to this e.g northern Nigeria.

These are my reasons below
1. You are doing a great service to the nation even though you would be vilified for it.

Many religious people and church goers have serious doubts about the efficacy of their religions but they eventually find a way to shelve the doubts in a compartment of their mind, they do this because they are either uninformed or they have never met a freethinkers before , if they had met one they would be know that freethinkers are people like them.

Many of them even feel crazy for feeling these doubts, they think something is wrong with them, in reality they need to see a well functioning human in society who doesn't subscribe to religious beliefs for them to know that their doubts are shared by others.

When freethinkers hide and pretend to go with the flow, you are doing a great disservice to people who actually need guidance, guidance doesn't necessarily mean you giving advice but just being visible, their brains would work everything out for them.

Sometimes people need confidence and community to be strong in their convictions. Take NL for example, as at 6 years ago, how many non religious people were on this section? But because of the confidence of some atheists, many have been set free from the shackles of religion just because they viewed religious debates. Imagine just 100,000 freethinkers in Lagos alone being outspoken, there would be a massive gradual effect.

This remains our country and if we allow small minded people to feel smart about their beliefs then we would be bringing out kids to a backward, misogynistic, bigoted country. But by being outspoken then we can soften the landing for future generations.

2. Your fear of religious people is a bit overhyped.

For those living in the northern part of the country, I think your fear is justified but for those living in the liberal south and middle belt then your fear is overhyped.

Lets face it, not all Christians are like pidgin and Analice, we still have the likes of bennyann etc. I have engaged in like 3 religious debates with colleagues before, I tried to be as mild as possible, the funny thing is that those people still related with me afterwards.

Maybe it's because they had known me for a while so they just assumed I was like them. When they found out about my agnosticism, it was too late. I think a safe method would be to act as normal as possible so as not too arouse too much interest but when folks have known you well then they can know you don't belong with them.

I think we fear religious people so much, maybe because they are in the majority and for the stuff they believe, nothing is too much for them to do. I think many religious people are tolerant enough to let you be even with your atheism.

This also depends on the lifestyle you have, I believe if you have been intellectually daring enough to doubt and criticize the largest nd oldest institutions in the world then I don't think you should be insecure in relationships or even be itching to be accepted. If you are the insecure type, then make sure you pretend to be normal and religious.

We saw the thread created by someone complaining about what atheism has to offer him, am sure the dude had been ostracized by religious folks thereby making him want to belong again.

As for me, I don't need peoples acceptance especially when they are so religious. If you can let me live and breathe, that's ok by me. When you are confident, people are more drawn to you and find you more fascinating but even if people avoid you, it won't matter because based in your intellectual level, those folks would have never been interesting to you at all, so why lose sleep over a relationship that would be shallow at best.

3. My last reason and I should say the strongest is ; be outspoken for your internal freedom. We think we know ourselves so much, believe me, when you are open about your life style you actually see yourself better than ever.

When you try and mould yourself into what the society accepts, you lose a part of yourself. For me , I can't be giving excuses when people ask me why I didn't go to church on Sunday, why should I lie to a human being just to please or appear on? Being outspoken to your family and friends also sieves fake and judgemental people away from you. Believe me when I say its better to have just 3 real friends than 40 normal acquaintances. I don't like the burden of being friendly or even pretending to be friendly with everyone, anything that even sieves or separates me from ignorant people would be appreciated.

3. If you are seeking a contract e.g building contract, electrical contract , ict contract etc don't expose your religious beliefs .

Please only freethinkers should comment

Cc Hahn, HopefulLandlord, SirWere, Akintom, jonbellion, Seun, lepasharon, Desepiero, johnnydon22, niflheim, dalaman

Well, it depends on the level of self disclosure, already made public. I for one, it's on my Facebook that i am humanist and i regularly update my page with atheistic articles, opinions and links.

With this level of public status, i have transcended most of the realm of cautionary moves that you advised.

But that doesn't mean that these advice, are not wise tips, for those who have not yet attained a level of freedom in vital areas of life, that can embolden them to progress to the realm of full disclosure.

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 8:00pm On Feb 19, 2017
Inasmuch as I would love atheists and freethinkers to be more open and only a few things would give me more joy than that, I still wouldn't say Nigeria is ripe enough for this

First, Nigeria is a little too ultrareligious, it runs so deep its unbelievable

My advice is that any freethinker that wants to be open should be already known for SEVERAL good things, this softens the situation and goes aong way into helping him/her achieve acceptance from those around him

Example, when someone learns about Seun, the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh! That guy owns Nairaland, which is one of the most visited sites in Nigeria, he's a millionaire and very young", at this point he already has several "positives" ascribed to him and rightly so that even if his atheism is brought up now it wouldn't change much about the perception of him

This makes it easy for someone like him to be more open, those other achievements have a way of giving a very soft landing for him and dents his image in a negligible way

In my own case, I'm not as popular as Seun, but I try to make sure everyone that knows I'm an atheist already knows a lot of other good things about me and I do this like my life depends on it BECAUSE it might depend on it!

I'm known more for being charitable, very kind, considerate, jovial at times, very gentle, focused, knowledgeable about many things, always ready to help when I can, very slow to anger (very very slow to anger), good listener, counsellor etc of course that doesn't mean I'm a doormat or a sissy, far from it, I do stand firm and put my foot down when necessary but since my source of livelihood isn't in anyway connected to my area, those times are very rare and while I'm very private, I welcome almost anyone into my home

What this does is that once someone that has known me more for such things find out I'm an atheist, he/she doesn't have this violent emotional reaction or look of disdain

I've lost count of the number of times people have approached me to ask directly if I'm really an atheist like someone told them and I'll reply in the affirmative, they'll then say that they thought I was a "Christian" all these while because I behave like one

Make sure people know you for good things other than atheism and try as much as you could to make those "other qualities" more pronounced

In Nigeria, its a recipe for disaster if the first thing someone knows about you is that you're an atheist because you would hardly have the fair hearing you deserve due to the fact that the average Nigerian regards atheists to be worse than paganists, worse than Boko Haram (never mind their denying that), worse than armed robbers, worse than rapists, worse than our corrupt politicians, worse than the worst of the worst things you can think of

this prejudice is responsible for atheism not having mainstream attention, don't be fooled by church and mosque goers, some of them are atheists doing that for survival and keeping up appearances, some of the monickers that argue here are only doing it when online and keep their atheism to themselves physically and believe me they're not stupid for doing that

I want us to come out but let us individually think it through because there's no one size fits all; if you feel your source of livelihood is dependent on your keeping up appearance, please continue with the façade because there's no mythical heaven or any benefit whatsoever connected to your sacrificing your livelihood for atheism

those that are still dependent on ultrareligious parents and families for support especially financial and educational support shouldn't come out and if they want to do that they can start by telling their parents that a "Friend of mine just told me he's an atheist, how can someone say he doesn't believe in any god?" ask their opinion on the matter and watch and take note of their reaction; many ultrareligious parents would tell you to AVOID that
friend and that should tell you something

tired here

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Inasmuch as I would love atheists and freethinkers to be more open and only a few things would give me more joy than that, I still wouldn't say Nigeria is ripe enough for this

First, Nigeria is a little too ultrareligious, it runs so deep its unbelievable

My advice is that any freethinker that wants to be open should be already known for SEVERAL good things, this softens the situation and goes aong way into helping him/her achieve acceptance from those around him

Example, when someone learns about Seun, the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh! That guy owns Nairaland, which is one of the most visited sites in Nigeria, he's a millionaire and very young", at this point he already has several "positives" ascribed to him and rightly so that even if his atheism is brought up now it wouldn't change much about the perception of him

This makes it easy for someone like him to be more open, those other achievements have a way of giving a very soft landing for him and dents his image in a negligible way

In my own case, I'm not as popular as Seun, but I try to make sure everyone that knows I'm an atheist already knows a lot of other good things about me and I do this like my life depends on it BECAUSE it might depend on it!

I'm known more for being charitable, very kind, considerate, jovial at times, very gentle, focused, knowledgeable about many things, always ready to help when I can, very slow to anger (very very slow to anger), good listener, counsellor etc of course that doesn't mean I'm a doormat or a sissy, far from it, I do stand firm and put my foot down when necessary but since my source of livelihood isn't in anyway connected to my area, those times are very rare and while I'm very private, I welcome almost anyone into my home

What this does is that once someone that has known me more for such things find out I'm an atheist, he/she doesn't have this violent emotional reaction or look of disdain

I've lost count of the number of times people have approached me to ask directly if I'm really an atheist like someone told them and I'll reply in the affirmative, they'll then say that they thought I was a "Christian" all these while because I behave like one

Make sure people know you for good things other than atheism and try as much as you could to make those "other qualities" more pronounced

In Nigeria, its a recipe for disaster if the first thing someone knows about you is that you're an atheist because you would hardly have the fair hearing you deserve due to the fact that the average Nigerian regards atheists to be worse than paganists, worse than Boko Haram (never mind their denying that), worse than armed robbers, worse than rapists, worse than our corrupt politicians, worse than the worst of the worst things you can think of

this prejudice is responsible for atheism not having mainstream attention, don't be fooled by church and mosque goers, some of them are atheists doing that for survival and keeping up appearances, some of the monickers that argue here are only doing it when online and keep their atheism to themselves physically and believe me they're not stupid for doing that

I want us to come out but let us individually think it through because there's no one size fits all; if you feel your source of livelihood is dependent on your keeping up appearance, please continue with the façade because there's no mythical heaven or any benefit whatsoever connected to your sacrificing your livelihood for atheism

those that are still dependent on ultrareligious parents and families for support especially financial and educational support shouldn't come out and if they want to do that they can start by telling their parents that a "Friend of mine just told me he's an atheist, how can someone say he doesn't believe in any god?" ask their opinion on the matter and watch and take note of their reaction; many ultrareligious parents would tell you to AVOID that
friend and that should tell you something

tired here

Nice

Will reply some of your points

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Seun(m): 8:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
@LiberaDeus: I agree with you on almost every point. People make a lot of sacrifices for religion and get only empty promises in return. It's a monumental waste of resources, and people need to know that they can do without it. But I don't think I would want to hide my beliefs from someone I am dating, unless I'm not looking for anything serious with that person. If she can't handle it, then it was never going to work.

@hopefulLandlord: Striving to be known for something positive before people learn that you're an atheist is a super idea; thanks for sharing it.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by MrMontella(m): 8:52pm On Feb 19, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Oh yeah

Mr.Montella How do you present yourself to people in Nigeria ? As a Christian, atheist , agnostic or maybe occultist
my parents and brothers know I am irreligious.

my friends know me as both irreligious and as a Christian.
I respond to people based on their personalities.

On a professional scale, I am a full blooded Christian. baptized with the holy goat

but I intend to be fully known as an irreligious man, when I'm fully settled and relevant in my habitat.

NB: Never tell your loud mouthed friend about your irreligious tendencies,no matter how drunk you are. It could damage your access to a future contract/contact.
no matter how close you may be.

15 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by MrMontella(m): 9:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
akintom:

Based on my experience in married life, am very clear about one thing, which is that relationships are as unique as each one.

This means that when you get involved with someone, you must strive to understand what works with the person.

In case an atheist have marriage in view when dating, i advice that full disclosure be the option (my personal opinion though).

You will be justified when complications (beliefs conflict) occurs in future, if only you have dealt truthfully at the onset.
I choose to disagree Sir.
that one lady who could rock your world or even change it may disappear because of something as little as religious preferences.

I believe marriage is not a relationship of Static behaviours,appearances,patterns etc

over time changes are bound to occur..even the slightest. the ability to live with that change is the concept of a life relationship.

so simple as ABC :your beliefs changed after marriage.

when a strong relationship has been rooted. that can't shake it.

my opinions tho

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by JackBizzle: 9:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
lepasharon:
JackBizzle

undecided

It is easy to be brave online where there is no danger.

I repeat- 7/10 Nigerians are mad. Religiously mad. I can either join the madness or suffer the wrath of many mad people.

10 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by lepasharon(f): 9:47pm On Feb 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

undecided

[b]7/10 Nigerians are mad. [/b]Religiously mad. I can either join the madness or suffer the wrath of many mad people.

Harsh lipsrsealed but i agree. What do you think of the OP?

I think its important to let ppl know where you stand. Sure, you may have some arguments with ppl and they wont agree with you but just get the word out and the stuff you say will definately be imprinted in their minds. It's important to represent
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 10:01pm On Feb 19, 2017
MrMontella:

I choose to disagree Sir.
that one lady who could rock your world or even change it may disappear because of something as little as religious preferences.

I believe marriage is not a relationship of Static behaviours,appearances,patterns etc

over time changes are bound to occur..even the slightest. the ability to live with that change is the concept of a life relationship.

so simple as ABC :your beliefs changed after marriage.

when a strong relationship has been rooted. that can't shake it.

my opinions tho
I wish to qoute myself again "Based on my experience in married life, am very clear about one thing, which is that relationships are as unique as each one" .

Some of us have come to define the act of been straight, on issue that's vital to significant others, as being respectful towards their person, not necessarily that which they hold as vital.

Again, to the man who is unlimited in his mind, a closed door presents the stimulus for cracking latent doors.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by DeSepiero(m): 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2017
I largely agree with the points raised in the OP.
Unfortunately, Nigeria isn't ripe enough for irreligious folks and free thinkers to liberally profess their stand and views publicly. I however feel that we'd gradually make a difference individually and collectively as groups.
The religious folks can't be wholly blamed for whatever attitude they put up against irreligious people. They've been indoctrinated all their life to reason in a certain way when it comes to some (religious) issues so they just can't drop their beliefs easily. Considering the subjective nature of morality, they are morally upright in their perception.

Let's look for 'positive' ways to make a difference and drive our point.

2 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 10:43pm On Feb 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

undecided

I repeat- 7/10 Nigerians are mad. Religiously mad. I can either join the madness or suffer the wrath of many mad people.

Hahaha grin grin
But living in Nigeria, you see lunatics on the street at least every other day. It doesn't scare you, being mad is one thing, being dangerous is another.

What's so bad about the wrath of many mad people? They would hate you, curse you and smugly tell you they are praying for you but if you ain't living in Kano or zamfara, all these would still remain social issues that don't really bring bodily harm to you.

Do you also know how many smart, well read folks would have seen things differently just because you are outspoken?

Trust me when I say that many Nigerians haven't seen an atheist before, they have an evil stereotypical view of them, a lady in my former workplace refused to believe I was a freethinker just because she had a belief that all atheists were occultic, wealthy folks who just sat at home and money followed them, her question to me was " why are you still here working, why won't you just be at home making money?"

Imagine such dogmatic, ignorant thinking

For Nigerians, these terms mean the same thing

Freemason
Freethinkers
Atheist
Agnostic
Mystic
Occult
Spiritist
Diviner

Many still think am just joking or just trying to get some attention, I don't blame them because their view of freethinkers doesn't fit and will never fit with what we really are. That's why I want us to be outspoken because we have the power to influence the future of this nation.

When people start seeing that we are human like them and most mportantly when they see our reasons and intellect then they would reconsider their stance, worst case scenario : they liberalize their views, best case scenario: they reconsider the whole bullshit they believe

We can't let darkness dominate just because they have more numbers. We hold the real light of mental freedom and I think its selfish for us to even go as far as pretending to be like them. You might never record any atheist convert but somewhere someone is seeing the real life of an atheist.

9 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 10:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
MrMontella:

my parents and brothers know I am irreligious.

my friends know me as both irreligious and as a Christian.
I respond to people based on their personalities.

On a professional scale, I am a full blooded Christian. baptized with the holy goat

but I intend to be fully known as an irreligious man, when I'm fully settled and relevant in my habitat.

NB: Never tell your loud mouthed friend about your irreligious tendencies,no matter how drunk you are. It could damage your access to a future contract/contact.
no matter how close you may be.

Na wa oh, na real wa

So that means if I see you in real life and we mistakenly get into a slight religious argument, you would pitch swords against me. Hmm, do you know what you would be doing to Brother As faith? Just seeing you do that would make him feel stronger in his delusion. Anyhow I believe you will come out soon.

The ironical thing is this
When you come out, many of your brethren might cook up different explanations as to why you backslid
- they might say you found a level of wealth and you felt you were too much for god

- they might say that you stopped praying and attending church thereby making you spiritually cold.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by mrmrmister: 10:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
Funny thread
Nigerian schools can expell you for being an atheist.
You can as well lose your job/ contracts/ investors.

I agree with hopefulLandlord to some extent though.

If you're going public, do it with wisdom.

7 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 10:57pm On Feb 19, 2017
Seun:
@LiberaDeus: I agree with you on almost every point. People make a lot of sacrifices for religion and get only empty promises in return. It's a monumental waste of resources, and people need to know that they can do without it. But I don't think I would want to hide my beliefs from someone I am dating, unless I'm not looking for anything serious with that person. If she can't handle it, then it was never going to work.

@hopefulLandlord: Striving to be known for something positive before people learn that you're an atheist is a super idea; thanks for sharing it.

Yes , empty sacrifices and no guidance in return.

The fact is that not every religious person who starts using their reasoning faculties on their religion would eventually see the light.

Some might start criticizing based on challenges in life or just purely intellectual reasons but most will still make it back to theism because of no guidance and the fact that they feel something is wrong with them.
We are all lucky to be free, lucky to have NL religious section, lucky to have Google and the internet at large.

But even with this tools at our disposal, it had to take some prodding by some freethinkers we had met, a bit of extra extra boldness to test the wrath of our gods then and most importantly the time to focus and analyze our religions.
Many religious people can find their way but will never do so because the odds are so low in Nigeria. We can change those odds by just being real.

3 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 11:01pm On Feb 19, 2017
mrmrmister:
Funny thread

Definitely Covenant university should expel you for being one. All the other christian universities can and will do that to you.

I highly doubt that our federal or state universities would do that. A reasonable percentage of their professors and doctors are freethinkers. I can't imagine any Nigerian federal university caring about your religion.

As for secondary schools, the rest is history
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 19, 2017
I agree with the OP
There has been no greater time for a balance between religion and critical thinking. The Nigerian masses are being led like sheeps, if we don't speak out who will.
All my friends know me as an atheist, they have no problem with it, mostly because I knew them back when I was still christian. If i just met you however I don't disclose my irreligious beliefs unless you ask for it.
Atheist should be be more open, we need to counter delusional thinking in nigeria. We need to become more visible so more people will realise there is more to life than the religion they were born into. If a belief is never questioned it becomes fact. If no one questions the reality of God, how do we expect people to be free from the illusion.
But I do agree that speaking out must be done smartly, keep it mostly within educated circles or friendly situations.
No go preach for market ohh grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 11:05pm On Feb 19, 2017
mrmrmister:
Funny thread

You can. Nigeria has no protection for atheists. Even traditional worshipers have it easier.
There is no reason to bring belief systems into business.
One has nothing to do with the other.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 11:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
Lennycool:
I agree with the OP
There has been no greater time for a balance between religion and critical thinking. The Nigerian masses are being led like sheeps, if we don't speak out who will.
All my friends know me as an atheist, they have no problem with it, mostly because I knew them back when I was still christian. If i just met you however I don't disclose my irreligious beliefs unless you ask for it.
Atheist should be be more open, we need to counter delusional thinking in nigeria. We need to become more visible so more people will realise there is more to life than the religion they were born into. If a belief is never questioned it becomes fact. If no one questions the reality of God, how do we expect people to be free from the illusion.
But I do agree that speaking out must be done smartly, keep it mostly within educated circles or friendly situations.

Exactly what am saying.

If your Christian friends or acquaintances ever want to argue with you, you don't even need to talk too much, just ask them some simple questions and their mind would do the rest for them

Questions like
1. Who wrote the bible
2. What will happen to your ancestors and all human beings that never believed in your god
3. What of Indians, Chinese etc

The above questions exist in the minds of most Christians. Many ask it and when they don't find a satisfying answer, they just recoil back into faith. Those same people might give a testimony of how they were former atheists but now see the light. These are people that never crossed the line but just pondered a bit.

If we are outspoken, our words will always exist in their minds and when they start questioning, those who are born to be free[ not the delusional, bigoted] will find that freedom.

The human mind is a pattern recognizing entity, you must throw signs or an idea into it, once that is done, even if it takes years the person who receives the idea will begin to see the patterns.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 12:53am On Feb 20, 2017
Lennycool:
I agree with the OP

No if na that market own, just forget am. You don die be that. After lynching you, Wetin you go see for nairaland na " male witch killed in market after trying to hypnotize and kidnap traders"
grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 4:37am On Feb 20, 2017
CC: Lucario007

1 Like

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 5:41am On Feb 20, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Exactly what am saying.

If your Christian friends or acquaintances ever want to argue with you, you don't even need to talk too much, just ask them some simple questions and their mind would do the rest for them

Questions like
1. Who wrote the bible
2. What will happen to your ancestors and all human beings that never believed in your god
3. What of Indians, Chinese etc

The above questions exist in the minds of most Christians. Many ask it and when they don't find a satisfying answer, they just recoil back into faith. Those same people might give a testimony of how they were former atheists but now see the light. These are people that never crossed the line but just pondered a bit.

If we are outspoken, our words will always exist in their minds and when they start questioning, those who are born to be free[ not the delusional, bigoted] will find that freedom.

The human mind is a pattern recognizing entity, you must throw signs or an idea into it, once that is done, even if it takes years the person who receives the idea will begin to see the patterns.
Yeah I do this often.
Like one of my friends was really surprised about my atheism and all, he couldn't believe that someone could ever doubt something as certain as the existence of God. The guy was always prodding me until I had enough.
That day I followed him to his house all the while bombarding him with logic.
At the end I saw something change in him, he laughed heartily and shook me firmly.
"Hailing atheist man!"
The guy never worry me since.
Most people think you can't defend you stance logically they see your position as downright mad.
Present logical that no human can deny and they will fall.
Happened to another of my friend too. I personally made that guy irreligious (to a point) and another I turned into an atheist one time. The answer has been in most of these guys faces for a long time, they just need someone to prod the fires of reasoning.
I once believed everything in the Bible even though I quite respected scientific laws, i saw nothing wrong with God killing people, or supporting slavery.
I simply never thought deeply about any of it, till someone made me think on them(Stephen king, John Green, Founder of Howstuffswork). And now I'm an atheist.
So we must be outspoken, we most be the anti venom to religious delusion. Some causes are greater than just one person.

4 Likes

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 5:43am On Feb 20, 2017
LiberaDeus:

No if na that market own, just forget am. You don die be that. After lynching you, Wetin you go see for nairaland na " male witch killed in market after trying to hypnotize and kidnap traders"
grin grin grin
grin grin grin
Even inside bus sef, man suppose to chill except you wan trek the rest of your journey.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Are You Hearing In Your Local Church, Life Or Death? - Olamide Obire / Nigeria Baptist Convention Paid Bandits N250m To Release Abducted Bethel Student / Is It Biblical To Pray For A Life Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.