Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,789 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians (13541 Views)

Freethinkers! How Did Your Self-awakening Start? / Freethinkers- Do You Ever Feel Lonely? / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by akintom(m): 1:43pm On Mar 22, 2017
JackBizzle:

The more the merrier.

There is also more that could be done, as Akintom rightly said.

Abeg, Akintom, if you are in the country, let us put heads together. I really want to register a humanist organisation.

This discussion is a strategic one. We shall have to talk privately.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by JackBizzle: 2:11pm On Mar 22, 2017
akintom:

This discussion is a strategic one. We shall have to talk privately. .

Delete the number. I have saved it.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by ScienceWatch: 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2017
Hond:
And your point is ?
Where have you been?
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by pressplay411(m): 7:45am On May 06, 2017
Can't believe I missed this.
Op your points are as valid as can be. It's imperative to express one's belief system or lack of, but more imperative is that it should be done with tact.

We live in a highly religious sphere and if care is not taken freethinkers risk being victimized and ostracized by religious fanatics in the name of fighting for God.

A progressive society must be tolerant of people's beliefs. I mean it's so bad once you fail to identify as a Christian or Muslim, the get uncomfortable. I try as much as possible to accommodate and respect others beliefs, and that's all we ask in return.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by darkhorizon: 11:49pm On May 20, 2017
JackBizzle:

If I start a humanist NGO, would you and liberadeus join as trustees?
i will join.
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by LiberaDeus: 9:55pm On May 22, 2017
pressplay411:
Can't believe I missed this.
Op your points are as valid as can be. It's imperative to express one's belief system or lack of, but more imperative is that it should be done with tact.

We live in a highly religious sphere and if care is not taken freethinkers risk being victimized and ostracized by religious fanatics in the name of fighting for God.

A progressive society must be tolerant of people's beliefs. I mean it's so bad once you fail to identify as a Christian or Muslim, the get uncomfortable. I try as much as possible to accommodate and respect others beliefs, and that's all we ask in return.

Are you a christian?
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by pressplay411(m): 10:57pm On May 22, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Are you a christian?

If you're asking if I go to church, yes.
Am I a "born again"? apparently no.

I'm more of a free thinker. Church is a social norm.
Apparently I find it hard to accept Jesus is God, among other things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 10:00pm On Nov 06, 2017
pressplay411:

If you're asking if I go to church, yes. Am I a "born again"? apparently no.
I'm more of a free thinker. Church is a social norm. Apparently I find it hard to accept Jesus is God, among other things.
tell me more bro
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by hopefulLandlord: 10:02pm On Nov 06, 2017
pressplay411:

If you're asking if I go to church, yes. Am I a "born again"? apparently no.
I'm more of a free thinker. Church is a social norm. Apparently I find it hard to accept Jesus is God, among other things.
tell me more bro
Re: Freethinkers In Nigeria And The Fear Of Nigerians by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 20, 2020
KingEbukasBlog:

Atheism is based on the emotional mind and ignorance . Why do you think most unintelligent people are atheist ? Huh ? Explain that ? Why did the few intelligent atheists like Richard Dawkins and Alan Turing become one after losing a loved one ? You became an atheist because are indignant God did not help you . Explain why most people become atheist after a tragic or traumatic event in their life ?

Let me explain : Our emotions have a mind of their own . In fact , man has two minds : the rational and the emotional mind . The rational mind is of the neocortex , or the thinking brain - this brain helps us make sense of whatever we experience . The emotional brain which is a repository of our emotional reactions can function independent of the neocortex or rational mind . We can hold emotional memories without any sort of active cognitive participation or involvement . We can also hold opinions about lots of things without any conscious awareness .

So what's my point : you are an atheist because of your emotional mind not your rational mind . Your opinion about God is a product of your emotional mind apparently . Why do you think arguments against Gods existence are based on emotions like : why do people suffer , why do the innocent die , why God can't stop some bad things from happening , God is not a good God because he killed or punished people severely or why would a good God punish people in Hell ? These arguments were made based on the atheist emotions not rationality . Do you still doubt ? It is possible Stephen Hawking is most likely an atheist because of his condition , most Nairaland atheists including you are atheists because they sought help and none came ; Richard Dawkins became a rabid atheist because his daughter died , Alan Turing became an atheist after his girl friend died . These people couldn't handle these situations with equanimity and their emotional minds are speaking out not their rational minds .

Have you ever wondered why the greatest minds in the history of mankind acknowledged the existence of God and why some of these greatest minds rejected the notion of a personal God ? The ones who rejected the concept of a personal God precluded being overwhelmed by thoughts from their emotional minds so they decided that God does not intervene in the affairs of men because they clearly understood the logical consequences of outrightly repudiating the existence of God .

Don't pontificate next time and stop attempting to attach rationality and logic to atheism . Great minds like Newton , Edison , Einstein , Plato , Socrates , Xenophanes , Planck , Lincoln , Leibniz and so many others are turning in their grave whenever you do so . Choose deism if you can't handle theism .
Einstein was an atheist man. And can you even prove the existence of a God? A being who forced himself into existence just like that?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Firewalls Needed To Resist intimate Sins / Is It Proper For A Church To Ask A Member The Source Of His Tithe? / Shakesphear's Name In The King James Bible Spelled Backwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.