Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Help With Coconut Rice! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help With Coconut Rice! (8193 Views)

Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! / Help Me 'wow' My Siblings This Weekend With Coconut Rice / Coconut Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Coconut Rice! by africhika(f): 3:30am On Dec 09, 2009
i saw this picture of coconut rice and it looks yummyyyyyyyyyyy.
i want to make it for my family this christmas.

does anyone have a good coconut rice recipe?
preferably a recipe with jasmine or basmati rice please.

Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Dec 09, 2009
I think the main thing is to cook the rice with coconut milk instead of plain water.

Prepare as you would regular jolof rice with or without the ingredients that give it the red colour.
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by africhika(f): 12:21am On Dec 10, 2009
i've been reading recipes online but pple say it taste bland. what can i use to enhance the coconut flavor?
brown sugar? toasted coconut flakes? coconut oil?
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by mamagee3(f): 3:01am On Dec 10, 2009
That rice looks delicious. kiss kiss
Can I take a spoon
? undecided
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by Nobody: 4:04am On Dec 10, 2009
africhika:

i've been reading recipes online but pple say it taste bland. what can i use to enhance the coconut flavor?
brown sugar? toasted coconut flakes? coconut oil?

it would probably taste bland if you use store bought coconut juice. Thats most times diluted, watery and has added sugar.

In Nigeria, I used the actual milk from the nut which i cracked open myself. But the coconuts back home were fresher, imo.

You can try adding coconut extract and see if that will give the rice a stronger flavor. Or maybe grate some of the edible part, mix with a little water, and strain.
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by Diva1(f): 7:05pm On Dec 10, 2009
I use coconut milk for mine and it tastes great, tastes just as coconut rice is meant to be.
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by africhika(f): 10:12pm On Dec 10, 2009
d@diva
did u use the canned coconut milK? there's a canned one that's sweetened and another that's unsweetened. which should i use?
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by Diva1(f): 7:30am On Dec 11, 2009
I think it is the unsweetened, This is the exact one I use

Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 11, 2009
^^ this looks good.

another one is cream of coconut
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by mamagee3(f): 7:43pm On Dec 11, 2009
Coconut makes my day! cheesy cheesy
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by africhika(f): 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2009
i'm gonn try it

thanx ladies!
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by mamagee3(f): 7:47pm On Dec 12, 2009
Coconut rice is my greatest fantasy. tongue
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by spoilt(f): 12:59am On Dec 18, 2009
I cannot cook my rice without the coconut milk to flavor it. Of course I use the coconut milk in a can but the milk from the fresh coconuts are the best. Use the canned ones and make the best of it by spicing it real nice.
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by Phlota(f): 6:01pm On Dec 18, 2009
mama-gee:

Coconut rice is my greatest fantasy. tongue

me too, i luv coconut rice!
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by life4all: 5:24pm On Dec 29, 2009
Hi all,

Pls can anyone here give me the recipe for coconut rice and cooking procedure. I'll love to cook it.

Thanks
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by africhika(f): 5:18pm On Dec 30, 2009
^ there are 2 ways to cook coconut rice:  the african way and the non-african way.
african way- we use tomato. cook it just like jallof rice and use coconut milk. non-african way is like cooking white rice and use coconut milk.
there are 2 ways to use coconut milk:  use the canned unsweetened coconut milk OR make the coconut milk fresh.

here is the recipe that i used for xmas. and I made the coconut milk fresh. it was my 1st time and it turned out well.

Difficulty: Medium
Cook Time: 24 minutes
Yield: 4-6 small servings

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
2 cups jasmine rice, washed and drained well
1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1  1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups good, thick coconut milk (shake can to mix well before opening)
1tbsp vanilla extract
Red chili
Mustard seed
Cumin seed
1/2tbsp coconut oil
Coconut Rice:
Heat coconut oil in a medium sized, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and salt and other seasonings; stir until dissolved. Turn heat to high, add rice and stir until all grains coated evenly. Add coconut milk and water. Stir. When boiling, immediately cover with tight fitting lid, turn heat to medium-low and simmer undisturbed for 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat but do not open lid. Really, no peeking! Let sit for 10 minutes with a plastic bag over it. While rice is cooking, toast coconut flakes on a dry skillet over medium high heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning, remove from pan as soon as coconut is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Re: Help With Coconut Rice! by africhika(f): 5:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
videos
1) how to make coconut milk fresh
2) african coconut rice
3) non-african coconut rice

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZCmJAtFGaU&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMcYLglHGmc&hl=en_US&fs=1& [/flash]
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udTClOB9OJ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

(1) (Reply)

Manual Blender For Beans, Tomatoes And Pepper, Okro, Melon Etc / A New Name For Moi Moi Please: / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.