Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,466 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF (17271 Views)

Kemi Adeosun Silent Over NYSC Certificate Scandal, Meets IMF Officials / Dino Melaye: No Need To Borrow Money To Fund 2018 ‘boju Boju’ Bboju’ Budget / IMF: Nigerian Economy May Collapse If… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by 360metrosports: 2:49pm On Feb 21, 2017
The Federal Government will not be borrowing a penny from the World Bank as initially planned, says Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun said on Tuesday.

The government will instead be be pursuing its own economic reform plan to save the economy from recession.

"For us the IMF is really a lender of last resort when you have balance of payments problem. Nigeria doesn't have balance of payments problems per se, it has a fiscal problem," Adeosun told CNBC in an interview.

"We are already doing as much reform as any IMF programme would impose on Nigeria," she said. "Nigerians want to take responsibility for their future. We must have our home-grown, home-designed programme of reform."

Adeosun said non-oil revenues were improving while the government was fine-tuning an economic reform plan needed to support an application for a loan of at least $1 billion from the World Bank. It is also seeking further funds from the African Development Bank.

"Non-oil revenue is improving very steadily. All the measures we have put in place are beginning to yield fruits," she said, without giving numbers.

"Oil production is back up, we are very grateful for that, but we should be careful for getting excited about that."

Recall that officials said recently that Nigeria plans to finalise its proposal to the World Bank this month.

The country needs to plug a gap in its record 7.3 trillion naira ($23.17 billion) 2017 budget, which contains a number of measures aimed at stimulating the economy.

It had initially promised to submit an economic plan to the World Bank by the end of December but did not do so.

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/02/nigeria-finally-decides-not-to-borrow.html

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by madridguy(m): 2:53pm On Feb 21, 2017
I wish I could help the Nigeria Government with 7.3 trillion naira ($23.17 billion).

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Viergeachar: 2:55pm On Feb 21, 2017
Osinbajo in action

Nice one

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Godprotectigbo5(f): 2:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
unclezuma where u dey...

i jsut dey miss u.......

back to the topic

i can borrow una money if una need it
Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
wehdone sir my acting president, now the difference is clear

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by AdonaiRoofing(m): 2:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
That's good

Contact us for all your roofing jobs and roof maintenance etc

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 21, 2017
Ok
Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by joseph1832ng: 2:59pm On Feb 21, 2017
Passingshot, how are you today? I now want to believe the FG listens and listen very well.

If need be, let the FG set a committee to look into the allegation Sanusi made about the missing 20 billion dollars.

I want to believe if that sum is re-injected into the economy, it will do a lot of good. Borrowing never helps anyone. Not now, not never.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Josegun(m): 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
Better

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by cosmatika(m): 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
Set of confused idiats. It's very clear nw to even ur ZoneBs dat GEJ wasn't the problem. One good head(Okonjo Iwuala) is better than five rotten heads(Buhari+Adeosun+Lai+Amaechi+BRF?

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by mmsen: 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
While it's great that will they not further burden the nation with even more debt every day it becomes clearer by the day that this government never had a plan for Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by origima: 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
Do you mean to roof the Economy?
Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by aku626(m): 3:02pm On Feb 21, 2017
I guess our future does matter now. Thanks to the acting president

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by duni04(m): 3:02pm On Feb 21, 2017
Price of oil up, production up, now we're having surpluses every month from oil savings because our the budget Is pegged at under USD50/barrel while oil price is more than USD50/barrel. Plenty of construction, FDI and FPI to look forward to. Now we just need to fine tune our forex policy to accommodate all the foreign investors that will be lining up to get a share of the dollar windfall that's coming.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by AutoReportNG2: 3:02pm On Feb 21, 2017
My love for Osibanjo these days is second to none..

Make una no tell me say na Baba tell am what to do oo, after all na Baba wan borrow the money before sef..

God bless Mr. Acting President (GCON)

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by pat077: 3:03pm On Feb 21, 2017
OK. A good one
Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by frisky2good(m): 3:03pm On Feb 21, 2017
Soon as Bubu comes back we will start talking of borrowing again.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 21, 2017
I think this is a sound decision. The interests payable on those IMF loans are nothing to write home about. We should look inward atimes to solve our problems

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by onatisi(m): 3:04pm On Feb 21, 2017
Viergeachar:
Osinbajo in action

Nice one
And you believe them?
Nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by SalamRushdie: 3:04pm On Feb 21, 2017
Just a month without that economic lunatic called Buhari Nigeria is beginning take the right steps

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Adekorya: 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
Good.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by delli(m): 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
Hmmmmm

Hope they don't go another way round

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Just a month without that economic lunatic called Buhari Nigeria is beginning take the right steps
if you cannot criticize constructively, it would pay you to keep shut.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by BizBayo: 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
This is really a nice development. I love it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by obyrich(m): 3:06pm On Feb 21, 2017
Economy recovering after Buhari hands over power temporarily to Osibanjo. Yet Zombies will keep shouting Sai Baba.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by KINGwax007(m): 3:06pm On Feb 21, 2017
Nice move

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by oduastates: 3:06pm On Feb 21, 2017
IMF was ,as usual , giving those poisonous conditions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by dokunbam(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2017
Viergeachar:
Osinbajo in action

Nice one

Kool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by KINGwax007(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2017
obyrich:
Economy recovering after Buhari hands over power temporarily to Osibanjo. Yet Zombies will keep shouting Sai Baba.
greatest since. So, the foreign reserve started rising after the VP took over, the increase in oil price and oil production started with the VP?

Dunce!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by Royalfurnitures: 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2017
Good, no need to borrow, let's manage what we have

Please check out my signature for quality and durable furniture

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Finally Decides Not To Borrow From IMF by AleAirHub(m): 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2017
Thank God.....
Acting President Is Working cheesy

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senator, Shehu Sani Lists 6 Steps To End Vote Buying / South-East To Sue FG, Demands Creation Of 6th State; To Demand For Trillions / Buhari Receives Ambassador Of Niger Republic,md Mutual Benefit Assurance(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.