Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? (1033 Views)

A Christian Woman Should Not Include Her Father's Name To Her Husband's Name / Is It Right For Unmarried Christian Woman To Get Pregnant Through IVF / When Is The Right Time For A Christian Woman To Go Into Relationship Or Date? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 25, 2017
I was going through my Bible when I came across a fascinating Bible passage in Deuteronomy 22:5 that says “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.(KJV). This is an Old Testament law given to the Israelites and can easily be taken out of context if the reader doesn’t know the reason and essence for the law. It was given to the Israelites as an admonition not to live as the Canaanites who liked to dress like a person of the opposite sex for various reasons like traditional activities and the worship of Idols in those days. Transvestitism was a practice of the Canaanites and the law was given so that the Israelites would see it as an abomination and shun it.

I don’t think there is any biblical law pertaining to a woman putting on trousers or not but rather the Bible emphasizes on modesty. Apostle Paul addresses the modesty of women to dress properly when he said “I also want women to dress modestly with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pears or expensive cloths, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God”(1 Timothy 2:9-10). A Christian woman is advised to be modest in dressing whether putting on trousers or not. Putting on the wrong trousers and clothing that reveals the body parts is wrong and against the modesty laws of the Bible and therefore a sin before God. But how do you know a modest trouser? An example is given with the image attached . Any trouser contrary to this that reveals the body parts is not modest and therefore a sin before God.

I have heard of some churches that prohibits ladies from putting on trousers in the church and I believe this was done to create sanity and decency in the way ladies should dress. Though not biblical but very necessary because if a law is given to put on “only modest trouser”, some will definitely go beyond the limit and put on seductive trousers and clothing. Give an inch, and she will take a mile and so, the appropriate thing to do is ban it completely in the house of God so that the guys will concentrate on worshiping God and not carried away by lust.

These are my points or do you think otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by ifenes(m): 10:45am On Feb 25, 2017
Should a Christian( enslaved) woman put on trousers? Well since she is a slave to the principles of the bible and sees Jesus or the white man as her master, then she mush adhere to the rules and regulation binding her to the religion. So yes it is a sin. But if she were a free person she has no sin.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 25, 2017
ifenes:
Should a Christian( enslaved) woman put on trousers? Well since she is a slave to the principles of the bible and sees Jesus or the white man as her master, then she mush adhere to the rules and regulation binding her to the religion. So yes it is a sin. But if she were a free person she has no sin.
I'm having a tough time reading meaning to what you wrote but since you yourself understands, then it's fine.
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by topsam1(m): 10:54am On Feb 25, 2017
Jesuobu:
I was going through my Bible when I came across a fascinating Bible passage in Deuteronomy 22:5 that says “The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.(KJV). This is an Old Testament law given to the Israelites and can easily be taken out of context if the reader don’t know the reason and essence for the law. It was given to the Israelites as an admonition not to live as the Canaanites who liked to dress like a person of the opposite sex for various reasons like traditional activities and the worship of Idols in those days. Transvestitism was a practice of the Canaanites and the law was given so that the Israelites would see it as an abomination and shun it.

I don’t think there is any biblical law pertaining to a woman putting on trousers or not but rather the Bible emphasizes on modesty. Apostle Paul addresses the modesty of women to dress properly when he said “I also want women to dress modestly with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pears or expensive cloths, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God”(1 Timothy 2:9-10). A Christian woman is advised to be modest in dressing whether putting on trousers or not. Putting on the wrong trousers and clothing that reveals the body parts is wrong and against the modesty laws of the Bible and therefore a sin before God. But how do you know a modest trouser? An example is given with the image attached . Any trouser contrary to this that reveals the body parts is not modest and therefore a sin before God.

I have heard of some churches that prohibits ladies from putting on trousers in the church and I believe this was done to create sanity and decency in the way ladies should dress. Though not biblical but very necessary because if a law is given to put on “only modest trouser”, some will definitely go beyond the limit and put on seductive trousers and clothing. Give an inch, and she will take a mile and so, the appropriate thing to do is ban it completely in the house of God so that the guys will concentrate on worshiping God and not carried away by lust.

These are my points or do you think otherwise?

Trouser, blouse....na who differentiate them? No be man? Na oyinbo people tell us say blouse na for woman and trouser na for man...so therefore, wear anything that fits and covers your body

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 25, 2017
topsam1:

Trouser, blouse....na who differentiate them? No be man? Na oyinbo people tell us say blouse na for woman and trouser na for man...so therefore, wear anything that fits and covers your body
Wear anything that covers the body? I guess a man putting on skirt is also fitting and covers the the body adequately.
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by zionmade(m): 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
Jesuobu:
Wear anything that covers the body? I guess a man putting on skirt is also fitting and covers the the body adequately.
Yes as long as dat skirt has not been worn by a woman and dat he can actually look decent to preach d gospel of christ wearing dat skirt.
I mean why do people single out deut 22:5 with reading down to 22:10 where d same chapter says dat u shud not put on any clothe made of both linen and cotton and u shud not plant two types of crops in one land neither shud u rear two different types of animals
Religion is so so terrible thank God my christianity is not a religion
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by enshy: 1:03pm On Feb 25, 2017
zionmade:

Yes as long as dat skirt has not been worn by a woman and dat he can actually look decent to preach d gospel of christ wearing dat skirt.
I mean why do people single out deut 22:5 with reading down to 22:10 where d same chapter says dat u shud not put on any clothe made of both linen and cotton and u shud not plant two types of crops in one land neither shud u rear two different types of animals
Religion is so so terrible thank God my christianity is not a religion
Hmmn...You see my only concern is these issues we raise daily were not debatable years back, every xtian was so engrossed in pleasing God that they cursed comfort and convenience.
I have shared before that Charles Spurgeon quit smoking because of the reaction of the souls he was willing to win...Not for the sinfulness of smoking as he didnt understand it was sinful but he was so much interested in winning the souls...
'All things are lawful for me but I wont be brought under the power of any...if eating meat make my brother weak, i wont eat meat'....Im so concerned about every single soul Christ died for, I will do anything to preserve the undiluted gospel that I received from my immediate Fathers of Faith...Check, what was the pattern in the early 80s-90s, every dick and harry could spot a xtian woman, but not so anymore!
Jesus will redeem His Church again...Fire of revival falling on us all!!! Amen!
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by zionmade(m): 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2017
enshy:

Hmmn...You see my only concern is these issues we raise daily were not debatable years back, every xtian was so engrossed in pleasing God that they cursed comfort and convenience.
I have shared before that Charles Spurgeon quit smoking because of the reaction of the souls he was willing to win...Not for the sinfulness of smoking as he didnt understand it was sinful but he was so much interested in winning the souls...
'All things are lawful for me but I wont be brought under the power of any...if eating meat make my brother weak, i wont eat meat'....Im so concerned about every single soul Christ died for, I will do anything to preserve the undiluted gospel that I received from my immediate Fathers of Faith...Check, what was the pattern in the early 80s-90s, every dick and harry could spot a xtian woman, but not so anymore!
Jesus will redeem His Church again...Fire of revival falling on us all!!! Amen!
D question is Is wearing trouser a sin?
The answer is no?
U can wear anything u like if and only if people will look at u and give God d glory. And u will be decent enof to stand and preach d gospel.
In dis sense its our fellow human dat really judge our dressing and not God. The place God's judgment comes into full glare wen anyone go astray because of ur dressing.
U dont also expect christians to look d way their grandparents looked. God created this world to be dynamic
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by genitori(m): 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2017
Women nay be allowed to wear trousers
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
genitori:
Women nay be allowed to wear trousers
Ok. Can you please give your reasons and maybe with scriptural backings?
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by enshy: 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
zionmade:

D question is Is wearing trouser a sin?
The answer is no?
U can wear anything u like if and only if people will look at u and give God d glory. And u will be decent enof to stand and preach d gospel.
In dis sense its our fellow human dat really judge our dressing and not God. The place God's judgment comes into full glare wen anyone go astray because of ur dressing.
U dont also expect christians to look d way their grandparents looked. God created this world to be dynamic
You have said my presentation means fellow humans judge the woman but from yours I quote 'if and only of people see you and give glory to God'....Thats the essence of Charles Spurgeons story!
Now some would see a woman wearing trousers and not give glory to God, infact they wont even want to hear her preach...If you were a G.O, what would you do? Lose the souls for whom Christ died...I stand on Pauls principles 'all things are lawful for me but not expedient, I wont be brought under the power of any' If eating meat makes my brother weak, ill eat no meat! Dresses were made for humans and not humans for dresses! Its in my power to control the use to glorify God, edify the church and win souls for Christ.
In Pauls voice 'but if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom neither the church of God' - I Corinth 11:16
The issue of trousers is beyond Deuteronomy or whether its right or wrong, it is rather does your dressing exalt God, does it edify the Church, are the unbelievers exhorted and pricked by your piety, sobriety, meekness in dressing? Are the unbelievers willing to hear when you stand to teach the gospel?
I tell you the Glories in Heaven are worth more than the denials on earth!
Thank You!
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by genitori(m): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2017
Don't take it literally .
What the Bible is driving at is for the women to be decent in their dressing.

Trousers are better than sm skirts.

Don't we know that in those days, the wears they do put on cannot be easily distinguished:the wears they put on is like gown .

This, my view is no matter what a woman wears, I let her by decent and wear it with a pure heart
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by femzysticks(m): 3:36pm On Feb 25, 2017
Please when you read to the point where it says trousers for men and skirt for women let me know
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
genitori:
Don't take it literally .
What the Bible is driving at is for the women to be decent in their dressing.

Trousers are better than sm skirts.

Don't we know that in those days, the wears they do put on cannot be easily distinguished:the wears they put on is like gown .

This, my view is no matter what a woman wears, I let her by decent and wear it with a pure heart
Thank you my brother and those are exactly the points I gave. A lady who put on a decent looking trouser is far better than the one who puts on a short-mini skirt exposing her unclothedness. The Bible repeatedly emphasizes on decency and modesty in all manner we should dress.
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by xtianwoman: 4:13pm On Feb 25, 2017
enshy:

You have said my presentation means fellow humans judge the woman but from yours I quote 'if and only of people see you and give glory to God'....Thats the essence of Charles Spurgeons story!
Now some would see a woman wearing trousers and not give glory to God, infact they wont even want to hear her preach...If you were a G.O, what would you do? Lose the souls for whom Christ died...I stand on Pauls principles 'all things are lawful for me but not expedient, I wont be brought under the power of any' If eating meat makes my brother weak, ill eat no meat! Dresses were made for humans and not humans for dresses! Its in my power to control the use to glorify God, edify the church and win souls for Christ.
In Pauls voice 'but if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom neither the church of God' - I Corinth 11:16
The issue of trousers is beyond Deuteronomy or whether its right or wrong, it is rather does your dressing exalt God, does it edify the Church, are the unbelievers exhorted and pricked by your piety, sobriety, meekness in dressing? Are the unbelievers willing to hear when you stand to teach the gospel?
I tell you the Glories in Heaven are worth more than the denials on earth!
Thank You!

I support this. May God help to give all for Him.
Re: Should A Christian Woman Put On Trouser? by ifenes(m): 5:56pm On Feb 25, 2017
Jesuobu:
I'm having a tough time reading meaning to what you wrote but since you yourself understands, then it's fine.

I never expected you to understand.

(1) (Reply)

Did Mary The Mother Of Jesus Had Sex With Joseph? / Why Does Seun Love The Death Of Snakes? / Mike Bamiloye Breaks Silence On ‘giving Of Tithes To God’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.