Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,205 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again (19472 Views)

Mistake a Born Again should never make / Can A Born Again Christian Marry A Muslim Lady? / Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by engineerboat(m): 1:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:
Happy sunday to all nairalanders.

There is a serious question that i always want to ask but today iam realeasing it out from the substructure of my mind.

It is Biblically and doctrinically mandatory for christ-likes in 97% churches to marry one (1) wife. Good.
Assuming a man is having two wives and he gave his life to christ as his personal LORD and SAVIOUR, should the man still stick and maintain the two wives

Please, matured answers, bible quotes are welcomed. Phylosophical reasonings are welcome too.

In the beginning God made Adam and eve. If God had wanted man to marry many wives he would have done that himself.

Matthew 19: 4

4. And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5. And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6. Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8. He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by PassingShot(m): 1:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:
The Bible never made a direct reference to polygamy except in the case of a bishop/overseer/elder/supervisor/officials in 1 Tim 3:2 depending on the version.
Some people use Genesis 2:24 to justify there monogamous theory which is not completely wrong and is also not completely right. Almost all the fathers of our faith were polygamist and yet God still found them righteous and even called one a man after his own heart.
In Matthew 23:23 Jesus scolded the pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the law which includes Judgement, mercy and faith.
In Matt 9:13 KJV Jesus referring to Hosea 6:6 said to the pharisees "But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
In Matt 12:7 KJV Jesus speaking said But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
In Matt 23:15 NIV Jesus speaking said “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are."
Having laid the foundation above I want to state that I do not subscribe to polygamy neither do I encourage it. But we need to show compassion like Jesus did.
Some Christians use restitution to justify the man sending away his other wives but do not consider the effect of the absence of a husband and father on the other wives and children. Restitution cannot be applied in every situation, for example how does a woman who had an abortion do restitution?
The God we serve looks at the motive behind the action. The action was carried out in ignorance or based on the beliefs of the religion the fellow was practicing at that point in time and not from an informed position.

Let me conclude by saying that God deals with us according to His plan and purpose for our lives and in some particular issues there is no one size fits all. He can ask Mr A to do a thing which he won't permit Mr B to do.
This is one of such issues and should be done based on hearing personally from God and not because of what one man says. In the scriptures God did not permit David to build a temple for him but he permitted Solomon to do that for him.

Shalom.
Why different revisions of the bible?

Na textbook?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by carlarock: 1:38pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:
The Bible never made a direct reference to polygamy except in the case of a bishop/overseer/elder/supervisor/officials in 1 Tim 3:2 depending on the version.
Some people use Genesis 2:24 to justify there monogamous theory which is not completely wrong and is also not completely right. Almost all the fathers of our faith were polygamist and yet God still found them righteous and even called one a man after his own heart.
In Matthew 23:23 Jesus scolded the pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the law which includes Judgement, mercy and faith.
In Matt 9:13 KJV Jesus referring to Hosea 6:6 said to the pharisees "But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
In Matt 12:7 KJV Jesus speaking said But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
In Matt 23:15 NIV Jesus speaking said “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are."
Having laid the foundation above I want to state that I do not subscribe to polygamy neither do I encourage it. But we need to show compassion like Jesus did.
Some Christians use restitution to justify the man sending away his other wives but do not consider the effect of the absence of a husband and father on the other wives and children. Restitution cannot be applied in every situation, for example how does a woman who had an abortion do restitution?
The God we serve looks at the motive behind the action. The action was carried out in ignorance or based on the beliefs of the religion the fellow was practicing at that point in time and not from an informed position.

Let me conclude by saying that God deals with us according to His plan and purpose for our lives and in some particular issues there is no one size fits all. He can ask Mr A to do a thing which he won't permit Mr B to do.
This is one of such issues and should be done based on hearing personally from God and not because of what one man says. In the scriptures God did not permit David to build a temple for him but he permitted Solomon to do that for him.

Shalom.
You have said it all. Thank you!
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by enshy: 1:39pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sirnuel:

Stop quoting the bible out of context bro...
will this your advice still stand if the second wive was to be your sister.
moreover the Bible never said a man cannot marry more than one wife.
God knows if I have enough money, i will marry more than two ooo... I go be father of many nation bro.
Bro, my advice is to OP and not you..You can marry even more and thank God you admitted 'God knows' so God knows also 'those he has commanded to marry one wife'
The Xtian message isnt to all! Im not sure you are included so dont stress!!

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by profhezekiah: 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2017
Am sure U are nt a christian U might just be a church goer if U dont know something keep ur mouth shut, stop misleading pple
Nutase:

Shalom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Talkwell: 1:44pm On Feb 26, 2017
johhnnie:

The truth you know will set you free! Get the truth about the bible and its tenets! What catefory of sin prostitution; yet he said let him who hath not sinned cast the first stone. I will have mercy on whom I decide to have mercy on sayeth the Lord of host. Some situations are betond our reasonings as humans! God works in mysterious ways and God is not man that he may repenth of His sins. Have tried to understand what the sins of God be? May be having compassion for a condemned criminal.

Anyone who has read the Bible well cannot fail to understand that God's attitude was never in disfavour of polygamy. The practice was legalised, and to this effect God enacted a law to guide the polygamist. As it is written: “If a man has two wives one beloved, and the other hated, and they have had children by him, and the son of the hated be the firstborn; and he meaneth to divide his substance among his sons: he may not make the son of the beloved (wife) the firstborn, and prefer him before the son of the hated (wife): But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn: and shall give him double portion of all he hath. For this is the first of his children: and to him are due the first birthrights."- Deuteronomy 21:15-17. Douay Version.

3 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Chibenze(m): 1:44pm On Feb 26, 2017
jmichlins:
Better to marry seven wives, take care of them than to marry one and cheat thereby sharing hiv and the rest
so your life only revolve in sex, is a pity and you forget soon u will grow weak someday from sexually pleasure nd eventually leave the earth, so what happen to ur wives nd children. nation fight nation etc. dont allow ur selfish bring shame nd wickedness to ur generation to come. peace
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Talkwell: 1:47pm On Feb 26, 2017
engineerboat:

In the beginning God made Adam and eve. If God had wanted man to marry many wives he would have done that himself.

Matthew 19: 4

4. And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5. And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6. Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8. He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

The subject matter is divorcement pure and simple.

We agree that the "twain" consists of one man and one woman as husband and wife. But to twist this to mean that Christ was advocating monogamy as against polygamy is misleading. The clause "they twain shall be one flesh" is but an emphasis of the inviolate relationship between husband and wife which makes it unlawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason other than the one expressly commanded by God and Jesus Christ.

The statement of Christ under reference has equal effect on both monogamous and polygamous marriages. Its bearing on polygamy is explained by the fact that the marriage contract is entered into by the husband on the one part, and each of the wives, respectively, on the other part at a time. The contract is never between the husband on the one part and the two or more wives, collectively, on the other part at a time. Each of the wives is bound by law to the husband and they all have equal legal status.

4 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Awoo88: 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:

There is a serious question that i always want to ask but today iam realeasing it out from the substructure of my mind.

It is Biblically and doctrinically mandatory for christ-likes in 97% churches to marry one (1) wife. Good.
Assuming a man is having two wives and he gave his life to christ as his personal LORD and SAVIOUR, should the man still stick and maintain the two wives

Please, matured answers, bible quotes are welcomed. Phylosophical reasonings are welcome too.
The first one remains but the second one has to go. He will be responsible for the kids if any from the second wife
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Btruth: 1:57pm On Feb 26, 2017
jmichlins:
Better to marry seven wives, take care of them than to marry one and cheat thereby sharing hiv and the rest
Exactly.

The problem with Christianity this days is that there too many hypocrites than the days of Christ. Imagine majority of pastors this days sleeping with their subjects and yet displaying been an holy men around.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by engineerboat(m): 1:59pm On Feb 26, 2017
Talkwell:

The subject matter is divorcement pure and simple.

We agree that the "twain" consists of one man and one woman as husband and wife. But to twist this to mean that Christ was advocating monogamy as against polygamy is misleading. The clause "they twain shall be one flesh" is but an emphasis of the inviolate relationship between husband and wife which makes it unlawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason other than the one expressly commanded by God and Jesus Christ.

The statement of Christ under reference has equal effect on both monogamous and polygamous marriages. Its bearing on polygamy is explained by the fact that the marriage contract is entered into by the husband on the one part, and each of the wives, respectively, on the other part at a time. The contract is never between the husband on the one part and the two or more wives, collectively, on the other part at a time. Each of the wives is bound by law to the husband and they all have equal legal status.

Male and female created he them in the beginning.

If God want Adam to have many wives He would have done it himself from the beginning.

So man shall leave his father amd mother and cleave into his wife (not his wives). Note this (his wife)
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nutase: 2:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
profhezekiah:
Am sure U are nt a christian U might just be a church goer if U dont know something keep ur mouth shut, stop misleading pple
you do not need to insult me. If you have a superior argument please present it sir.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by ChristineC: 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2017
Btruth:
Thank God for this topic. And God bless the OP. I woke up this afternoon from sleep with worries over the same thing happening in one of my favourite uncle. And lo and behold, found the topic right at the top of the front page. Let me quickly share his stories.

Years back, he was married to Mummy Remi, and they had 4 kids. 2 girls and 2 boys. Whatever happens along the line, my uncle meet another lady and she equally married her. She had 5 kids for him. 2 boys and 3 girls. My uncle got converted to be a born again Christian. But what I personal observed then was that the first wife was the one that brought her pastor to the house to preach to my uncle, and eventually, he got converted and join the church with the 2nd wife and all his kids. Very dedicated a man and very humble. But when the church doctrines set in later that my uncle cannot become an elder of a full member of the church because he has 2 wives, and he asked the committee what he needed to do. He was asked to divorce the 2nd wife. This is where politics in the church set in. And the church was near divided because, some of the elders says they should leave the man and his family alone, while some says he should be suspended.

Meanwhile, the 1st wife sees the opportunity as an advantages and gaining the supports of the woman association and other groups in the church as against the 2nd wife. Eventually, the pressure was so much for my uncle that he decided to leave the church and move completely out of lagos.

All kids grown up now, and my uncle is in his 70s. Till now, the effect of what happens then has really created enmity between all the kids and the man is regretting ever going into that church.

So, should church, pastors, committee or any group in the church be a judge in one house problem? Who doesn't have his/her personal problem. And who make people a judge in other people's issue. Let people be careful of how they interface in other people case.

Church name: 4square.

Happy Sunday.
This is a non issue. The most important thing to get on earth is wisdom. It is even written that in all your getting, get wisdom (sacrosanct). I don't see any wise applications of all involved from your narrative. Besides, there is nothing like "church doctrine". It's either you are following the Holy Bible or not.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by engineerboat(m): 2:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Btruth:
Exactly.

The problem with Christianity this days is that there too many hypocrites than the days of Christ. Imagine majority of pastors this days sleeping with their subjects and yet displaying been an holy men around.

If i may ask you what bring about marrying many wives.

1. Infidelity.
2. Mistakes
3. Untruthfulness
4. Oju-ko-kuro

And what tells you that marrying seven wives will make the man stop his insatiable passion for more wives
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Talkwell: 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
engineerboat:

Male and female created he them in the beginning.

If God want Adam to have many wives He would have done it himself from the beginning.

So man shall leave his father amd mother and cleave into his wife (not his wives). Note this (his wife)
The fact that polygamy was practised with God's approval by the descendants of Adam some of whom were renowned faithful worshippers of His, invalidates any argument with reference to "the beginning". Abraham who is described in the Bible as "the Friend of God", (James 2: 23) was a polygamist, He married Sarah and Hagar, as it is written: "And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian…. and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife." (Genesis 16: 3)

As a matter of fact, God was in favour of Abraham's marrying Hagar. This point is buttressed by the fact that when Hagar attempted to escape from Abraham's house because of her insubordination, God through His angel ordered her to return and submit to Sarah. He said to Hagar: "Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands... I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude…”- Genesis 16: 5-12.

Some argue that Abraham was impelled by the circumstance of Sarah's barrenness to marry Hagar. This argument is most untenable. If it was forbidden to marry more than one wife, no circumstance would have forced Abraham - a man known for his exemplary character of faith and obedience - to break the rule.

Jacob who had twelve sons through whom the Jewish Nation emerged, was a confirmed polygamist. He married Leah and Rachel and later had their handmaids, Zilpah and Bilhah. (Genesis 29: 21-35; 30: 1-13; 35: 23-26) All of them had children for him and none of his children was treated as "illegitimate". Out of the tribe of Judah, the son of Leah, Jesus Christ the Righteous who is the Saviour of mankind, came into the world; and St. Paul whom even H. G. Wells acknowledged as “a man of great intellectual vigour", and, whom St. Peter commended for his wisdom, sprang up from the tribe of Benjamin the son of Rachel. - Genesis 29: 31-35; 35: 16-18; Matthew 1: 1, 2; Hebrews 7; 14; Philippians 3: 4, 5; 2 Peter 3: 15, 16.

Cc ; engineerboat

5 Likes

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Btruth: 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
ChristineC:

This is a non issue. The most important thing to get on earth is wisdom. It is even written that in all your getting, get wisdom (sacrosanct). I don't see any wise applications of all involved from your narrative. Besides, there is nothing like "church doctrine". It's either you are following the Holy Bible or not.
of what meaning did you read to my reference?

https://www.nairaland.com/3651077/pope-francis-better-atheist-than

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Btruth: 2:06pm On Feb 26, 2017
engineerboat:

If i may ask you what bring about marrying many wives.

1. Infidelity.
2. Mistakes
3. Untruthfulness
4. Oju-ko-kuro

And what tells you that marrying seven wives will make the man stop his insatiable passion for more wives
did I mentioned that you must marry more than a wife? Or, was I talking about been hypocrites?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by AceRoyal: 2:08pm On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:

Please do not divorce anyone of them!
it's better you seek the face personally on this matter. Hear from him instead of relying on human advice that will have varying interpretations of the scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Talkwell: 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2017
Btruth:
Exactly.

bro you've said it all
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by profhezekiah: 2:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ma dat was never an insult, just stating d fact, U shouldnt av quote d Bible in an inappropriate way, I ll av love to give a load of scriptures dat JESUS said no 2 wives no divoce (unless d person was nt a virgin)or remarrying when a partner is still alive even HE said in luke dat when pple are receiving more parents,more brothers,more sisters,HE never made mention of wives because it is an aberration for christians I dont mean church goers and bench warmer. pls before U use a passage in d BIBLE learn to read whole chapter, when U are talking of wightier matters JESUS was talking of tithe nt wife issue, pls learn to be cautious abt christianity and d BIBLE because it is written dat whosoever became a stumbling block for pple shall not go unpunished. Let me lay hold of my Bible I ll give U alot of scriptures dat say no to two wives
Nutase:
you do not need to insult me. If you have a superior argument please present it sir.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by advocatebaba(m): 2:29pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sunnymatey:
The two women can lay claim to him legally but as a christian, the woman whose dairy was first paid is the wife.
ITS DOWRY NOT DAIRY. TAKE NOTE
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by omoskenso(m): 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
lampard01:
Meaningless post.
I wonder how some posts make it to front page
What is meaningful in ur post....
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by uzoexcel(m): 2:38pm On Feb 26, 2017
Assuming your mum (I mean no insults) was the second wife, would you maintain this same perspective
enshy:

My Brother In Christ!
We Christians believe the scriptures only and obey.
In the beginning, he made them one man, one wife.
Now you are born again, your first wife is your wife if you have performed her marital rites, if not the whole context changes.
The second wife is adultery, if she has children for you, you must take responsibility for all children, for this is the Will of God! You dont just send her out, get her accommodation, speak to her and her family.
If you are sincere with God, he will direct your paths!
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by enshy: 2:45pm On Feb 26, 2017
uzoexcel:
Assuming your mum (I mean no insults) was the second wife, would you maintain this same perspective
Its not my principle..Its the Bible's..
Every Born Again Believer must succumb to scriptures regardless of All..
If you want to know what Ild do if it were my mum, pls stay tuned and go nowhere!
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by janvier27(m): 2:47pm On Feb 26, 2017
Keep the two if you are all in agreement. If you must, do penance for life. You owe no human tribunal any explanations.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by chiteny(m): 2:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:

Shalom.

Nutase, Make your head no swell too much o as many people dey quote you and say you speak well.

You spoke well actually. I'm even more impressed you are a female, cos the natural instinct for females would be to condemn polygamy out rightly.

Just to shed more light, there is nothing (in my opinion) that is wrong with having more than one wife as long as they are properly married to and the man can take care of both of them and show love equally. However, it is advisable/required for those that intend to serve in the house of the Lord not to marry more than one wife.

As far as the bible has recorded, God has been worked more with those with more than one wife. So if someone is married to two wives and got born again, he should continue to maintain his both wives. No need to chase anyone. However he will not be allowed to serve in the church as Pastor, bishop, etc

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by ThinkSmarter: 3:08pm On Feb 26, 2017
oloriLFC:
You mean Jenifa's diary?
u bad Gahn cheesy grin
But I guess she meant to say dowry
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by kunlegboye(m): 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2017
The real things about this important topic is that,many will consider it foolish the right thing to do.The second wife should be put away,though this is not convenient at all knowing that things of the spirit is foolish to the world...Ordinary man cannot understand this,they can't comprehend it...But only a genuine christian will do.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by doyinbaby(f): 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
A man was an unbeliever he married two wives when he was in the world...,.later the man got born again for those saying he should divorce the second wife (imagin the second wife is in her late forties) who will now marry her,.,,.divorce a woman after she has spent YEARS with you..,.,,why not divorce the children she delivered too....oh you will keep the children but divorce the mother .....I laugh.....

left to me the man should remain married to the two women,,,,,he can still be a good Christian but he is excluded from church leadership.....
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by doyinbaby(f): 3:25pm On Feb 26, 2017
kunlegboye:
The real things about this important topic is that,many will consider it foolish the right thing to do.The second wife should be put away,though this is not convenient at all knowing that things of the spirit is foolish to the world...Ordinary man cannot understand this,they can't comprehend it...But only a genuine christian will do.
. Ok the second wife be put away..
....what is her fate concerning remarriage...
where will she start from...let us assume she is 50...,,,most churches don't even conduct wedding for divorcee .,.,,,can you explain her fate concerning marriage
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nutase: 3:26pm On Feb 26, 2017
profhezekiah:
you're a judgemental person and it's typical of fanatical Christians. Matt 23:23 teaches that Christianity is far beyond paying tithes but teaches mercy and compassion which is lacking in the church today.
Secondly, if you study your Bible well you will stop following church doctrines and start following the Bible. The Berean Christians studied the word and not doctrines which is typical of today's church.
Kindly point out any heretic statement I made and also read all the chapters I quoted in full and point out the one I quoted out of context.

The discussion here is about a polygamous convert not a Christian marrying more than one wife.

I know it's difficult to accept anything outside what we think we already know but ask the Holy Spirit to teach you with an open mind.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Crownadex(m): 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
Christane:
devorce the 2nd one nd stick to ur 1st wife ..ur 2nd wife z a stranger in ur house ..bt if u cnt let her go ...speak to ur pastor abt it ..
In my opinion bros let him be with the 2 of dem bcz we ain't knw the most his joy @ of dem & wat bible says in exodus 21:10 (( If he marries another wife, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights )) #Lordisourstrenght

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? / Where Is Pastor Patrick Anwuzia Of Zoe Ministries Worldwide? / 'Kumuyi: Defender of the Faith' - Adeboye, Authors Extol Kumuyi In New Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.