Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,383 members, 7,954,554 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:01 PM

Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again (19813 Views)

Mistake a Born Again should never make / Can A Born Again Christian Marry A Muslim Lady? / Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by doyinbaby(f): 3:41pm On Feb 26, 2017
Should they divorce my 69yr old aunt ,...has na second wife she be!!!!!
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Crowny11(f): 3:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sunnymatey:
The two women can lay claim to him legally but as a christian, the woman whose dairy was first paid is the wife.

yeah my guy
you get brain wella
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by henryskywalker2003(m): 3:53pm On Feb 26, 2017
firstking01:
Well, he who's in christ is a new creature, old things are passed away and all things have become new....so, if he married the two wives legally he must live with them legally, showing equal love and care to the both of them with NO partiality cos in christiandom once you are married there's absolutely NO room for divorce...let me just add, if you are a worker in the church you'd put away the last wife, i.e, the one you married last by giving her a certificate of divorce according to the bible...that's all i can say for now.

Dude, u just contradicted urself. No room for divorce but u still give cert of divorce if u are a worker. Na so.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by abudujanah: 3:56pm On Feb 26, 2017
Christianity always about confussion n contradictions,dere is NO single version in D bible dats State aw many wife a gud xtian must have,oooo Sori o,i 4gt d bible is 4 d JEWS nt 4 xtains
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by effty(m): 4:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sunnymatey:
The two women can lay claim to him legally but as a christian, the woman whose dairy was first paid is the wife.
No be small "dairy".
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by henryskywalker2003(m): 4:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:
The Bible never made a direct reference to polygamy except in the case of a bishop/overseer/elder/supervisor/officials in 1 Tim 3:2 depending on the version.
Some people use Genesis 2:24 to justify there monogamous theory which is not completely wrong and is also not completely right. Almost all the fathers of our faith were polygamist and yet God still found them righteous and even called one a man after his own heart.
In Matthew 23:23 Jesus scolded the pharisees for neglecting the weightier matters of the law which includes Judgement, mercy and faith.
In Matt 9:13 KJV Jesus referring to Hosea 6:6 said to the pharisees "But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
In Matt 12:7 KJV Jesus speaking said But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
In Matt 23:15 NIV Jesus speaking said “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are."
Having laid the foundation above I want to state that I do not subscribe to polygamy neither do I encourage it. But we need to show compassion like Jesus did.
Some Christians use restitution to justify the man sending away his other wives but do not consider the effect of the absence of a husband and father on the other wives and children. Restitution cannot be applied in every situation, for example how does a woman who had an abortion do restitution?
The God we serve looks at the motive behind the action. The action was carried out in ignorance or based on the beliefs of the religion the fellow was practicing at that point in time and not from an informed position.

Let me conclude by saying that God deals with us according to His plan and purpose for our lives and in some particular issues there is no one size fits all. He can ask Mr A to do a thing which he won't permit Mr B to do.
This is one of such issues and should be done based on hearing personally from God and not because of what one man says. In the scriptures God did not permit David to build a temple for him but he permitted Solomon to do that for him.

Shalom.

My dear, u have said it all
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by lilyheaven: 4:14pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sirnuel:

Stop quoting the bible out of context bro...
will this your advice still stand if the second wive was to be your sister.
moreover the Bible never said a man cannot marry more than one wife.
Just like Solomon
God knows if I have enough money, i will marry more than two ooo... I go be father of many nation bro.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by firstking01(m): 4:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
henryskywalker2003:

Dude, u just contradicted urself. No room for divorce but u still give cert of divorce if u are a worker. Na so.
Smh, if you know your bible you won't call it contradiction....now listen, we were permitted to give certificate of divorce because of the hardness of our hearts, hope you understand what that means?, but in the beginning it was not so...God never intended for us to divorce after marriage but because humans are wicked and unforgiven in nature that's why God gave moses the go ahead to write a certificated of divorce for the woman you are divorcing...
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by somegirl1: 4:28pm On Feb 26, 2017
Nutase:
.......Almost all the fathers of our faith were polygamist.......

This isn't true.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by frank202012: 4:35pm On Feb 26, 2017
tishbite41:
the first woman u married is ur wife. d odas re concubines or mistresses. male and female created He them. one man one wife is d original will of God.

did u help God to create the male nd female for you to confidently say the original will of God
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by kingsmaila(m): 4:44pm On Feb 26, 2017
No because it is not written any where in the Bible that a man should marry only one wife.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by akan102: 4:55pm On Feb 26, 2017
smiley smiley shocked
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by akan102: 5:09pm On Feb 26, 2017
some body should show me where it is written that a man must not marry more than one wife, am yet to find one, 1timothy 3v2 and verse 12 atleast wasn't refering to all men but to specific men as mentioned by quoted verses.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by thexzy(m): 5:11pm On Feb 26, 2017
The did has been done and cannot be undone. You just have to live with the past in your present+future. While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Is just that some doctrines that preach against "more than one wife" will really prohibit you from functioning as an organ in the church and as such, it will leave you with just being an ordinary church member with no position.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by fisco82(m): 5:12pm On Feb 26, 2017
Religion of no manual....can u point to where, u marry two wife and u be sinner?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by no1madman(m): 5:13pm On Feb 26, 2017
Give me one. . .
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Nutase: 5:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
somegirl1:

This isn't true.
start counting from Abraham down and name how many of them were monogamous.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by ozimec(m): 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2017
Modenzy:
Happy sunday to all nairalanders.

There is a serious question that i always want to ask but today iam realeasing it out from the substructure of my mind.

It is Biblically and doctrinically mandatory for christ-likes in 97% churches to marry one (1) wife. Good.
Assuming a man is having two wives and he gave his life to christ as his personal LORD and SAVIOUR, should the man still stick and maintain the two wives

Please, matured answers, bible quotes are welcomed. Phylosophical reasonings are welcome too.

The woman whose dowry was paid first is the first and only wife therefore, the man can settle with the second woman and send her home to the parents as matter of restitution and genue repentance. Marriage is between a man and a woman......... and the two shall be one flesh.... '' Matthew 19 vs 4-6.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by billagreen(m): 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
tishbite41:
the first woman u married is ur wife. d odas re concubines or mistresses. male and female created He them. one man one wife is d original will of God.

Well due to the population of women which is greater than men.. .. So therfore, marrying wives should not be an issue only if you can deal justly
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by 86bee(f): 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
lampard01:
Meaningless post.
I wonder how some posts make it to front page
i wonder how they allow some stupid comment!
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by nduchucks: 6:10pm On Feb 26, 2017
Oga OP, I'm not an expert in Christianity but do you actually think it would please God to subject your 2nd wife to the psychological trauma that a divorce without cause? It is very likely that your 2nd wife has Children, would it be pleasing to God for you to damage them psychologically as well? Also remember that your first wife and her children, and even you yourself, may very well suffer as well.

In my humble opinion, no loving God would be pleased with you subjecting his Children (your wives & kids) to the kind of wickedness you are contemplating.

Practicing any religion should not be tantamount to wickedness, heartlessness, and being stupid.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by solbil: 6:13pm On Feb 26, 2017
enshy:

My Brother In Christ!
We Christians believe the scriptures only and obey.
In the beginning, he made them one man, one wife.
Now you are born again, your first wife is your wife if you have performed her marital rites, if not the whole context changes.
The second wife is adultery, if she has children for you, you must take responsibility for all children, for this is the Will of God! You dont just send her out, get her accommodation, speak to her and her family.
If you are sincere with God, he will direct your paths!

i am from a poygamous home and my parents are all practicing christians. This means i am a better authority on this matter than you can ever be.

Some of you don't know that you are speaking about a people's experience when you open your mouth widely to say all kinds of rubbish! HOW DEAR YOU CALL A PEOPLE'S MARRIAGE ADULTURY!!! You don't even realise the implication of the words you speak, and how much self esteem you can erode among a people who are even better christians than you!

If God hated polygamy too much; if he does not recognise the other wives as you claim, why then in the geneology of Jesus, the path Jesus came through, was not always from the first wife? I want you to answer that question, you hateful bigot who thinks he has the right to move about saying all kinds of rubbish insulting people, and erroding their self esteem?

And as for your "in the begining, God made them male and female..." heresy, why don't you go on ahead and tell me where the other people came from, those who Cain spoke of when he said "who ever sees me will kill me" and God told him he will place a mark on him (cain) so that anyone who sees him and hurts him, will recieve several times punishment. I cannot remember that passage very vividly anymore, its been a long time. But i am sure there is something like that in genesis 3 or there about.

So if truely God made only 2 people at the begining, where then did the other people came from?

It is the likes of you Jesus spoke of when he condemned the pharases and said, they pay more attention to their traditions (practices/laws) than they do the substance of faith.

Tell me what profound divine revelation the institution of polygamy violates? Tell me how it makes you a worse christian of you marry more than one? If you want to continue to pipe on the law which you guys made up for yourselves that polygamy is against divine arrangement, how then are you different from the muslim and the jew who thinks just by not eating pork, he is justified and fit for heaven?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Sjoy: 7:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
Btruth:
Thank God for this topic. And God bless the OP. I woke up this afternoon from sleep with worries over the same thing happening in one of my favourite uncle. And lo and behold, found the topic right at the top of the front page. Let me quickly share his stories.

Years back, he was married to Mummy Remi, and they had 4 kids. 2 girls and 2 boys. Whatever happens along the line, my uncle meet another lady and she equally married her. She had 5 kids for him. 2 boys and 3 girls. My uncle got converted to be a born again Christian. But what I personal observed then was that the first wife was the one that brought her pastor to the house to preach to my uncle, and eventually, he got converted and join the church with the 2nd wife and all his kids. Very dedicated a man and very humble. But when the church doctrines set in later that my uncle cannot become an elder of a full member of the church because he has 2 wives, and he asked the committee what he needed to do. He was asked to divorce the 2nd wife. This is where politics in the church set in. And the church was near divided because, some of the elders says they should leave the man and his family alone, while some says he should be suspended.

Meanwhile, the 1st wife sees the opportunity as an advantages and gaining the supports of the woman association and other groups in the church as against the 2nd wife. Eventually, the pressure was so much for my uncle that he decided to leave the church and move completely out of lagos.

All kids grown up now, and my uncle is in his 70s. Till now, the effect of what happens then has really created enmity between all the kids and the man is regretting ever going into that church.

So, should church, pastors, committee or any group in the church be a judge in one house problem? Who doesn't have his/her personal problem. And who make people a judge in other people's issue. Let people be careful of how they interface in other people case.

Church name: 4square.

Happy Sunday.
what a pity, the church tried to follow th bible, which is right. The church are to bring the two wivies and d children to undrstand what d man agreed to do(restitution), which should bring unity, love among the children and d wivies but its so unfotunate that it turned out d other way.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by solbil: 7:12pm On Feb 26, 2017
engineerboat:

In the beginning God made Adam and eve. If God had wanted man to marry many wives he would have done that himself.

Matthew 19: 4

4. And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5. And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6. Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8. He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

are you sure he made only two people there, if at all the story of genesis is actually how the human race started?

If they were only two, who then are the people cain and God spoke of when he said "anyone who sees me will kill me...", and God said "anyone who does that, will recieve several times your punishment"? It seems the anyone they both talked about, were people unconnected to adam and eve as well as cain and abel. Also, that same bible said: "and cain knew his wife..." so the question is: where did he get that wife to get married to? Are you saying he married his sister? And why don't you marry your sister today? Pls don't tell me that there were certain things permitted in those days that are not permitted today.

And how does your mattew verses prove that one should not get married to more than a wife? When he said male and female, was he just restricting it to just two people individually? Why can't the "male and female" mean him recognising the two sexes he created, why do you want to deliberately understand it to mean just two individuals?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by enshy: 7:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
solbil:

i am from a poygamous home and my parents are all practicing christians. This means i am a better authority on this matter than you can ever be.

Some of you don't know that you are speaking about a people's experience when you open your mouth widely to say all kinds of rubbish! HOW DEAR YOU CALL A PEOPLE'S MARRIAGE ADULTURY!!! You don't even realise the implication of the words you speak, and how much self esteem you can erode among a people who are even better christians than you!

If God hated polygamy too much; if he does not recognise the other wives as you claim, why then in the geneology of Jesus, the path Jesus came through, was not always from the first wife? I want you to answer that question, you hateful bigot who thinks he has the right to move about saying all kinds of rubbish insulting people, and erroding their self esteem?

And as for your "in the begining, God made them male and female..." heresy, why don't you go on ahead and tell me where the other people came from, those who Cain spoke of when he said "who ever sees me will kill me" and God told him he will place a mark on him (cain) so that anyone who sees him and hurts him, will recieve several times punishment. I cannot remember that passage very vividly anymore, its been a long time. But i am sure there is something like that in genesis 3 or there about.

So if truely God made only 2 people at the begining, where then did the other people came from?

It is the likes of you Jesus spoke of when he condemned the pharases and said, they pay more attention to their traditions (practices/laws) than they do the substance of faith.

Tell me what profound divine revelation the institution of polygamy violates? Tell me how it makes you a worse christian of you marry more than one? If you want to continue to pipe on the law which you guys made up for yourselves that polygamy is against divine arrangement, how then are you different from the muslim and the jew who thinks just by not eating pork, he is justified and fit for heaven?
Thank you much.
I see you are well learned in scriptures. Didnt you also read about the killings of the disobedient? Have you copied that also? Do you still stone people for fornication and adultery? Solomon married 700, will you copy this also?
My brother dont be deceived, Polygamy is unscriptural! God detests it! Your experience doesnt disannul Gods words. However, the fruits of polygamy are not involved in the sin! Anyone in the sin should repent now for God made just one Eve for Adam and commanded 'a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife' not wives, as in one.. Even morally, I doubt if its proper...One man One woman is fair enough! Dont be offended, the truth is sometimes better but must still be told.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by solbil: 7:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sjoy:
what a pity, the church tried to follow th bible, which is right. The church are to bring the two wivies and d children to undrstand what d man agreed to do(restitution), which should bring unity, love among the children and d wivies but its so unfotunate that it turned out d other way.

my dear, will just shut up already! You don't even know you are talking about human lives here and real human experience! You say the church is doing the right thing? Who taught you to put doctrine ahead of family values and unity? Who taught you that the church and its warped belief is better than the hapiness of a people?

Is your likes not the people Jesus talked about when he said " these people value their traditions more ..."?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by solbil: 7:30pm On Feb 26, 2017
enshy:

Thank you much.
I see you are well learned in scriptures. Didnt you also read about the killings of the disobedient? Have you copied that also? Do you still stone people for fornication and adultery? Solomon married 700, will you copy this also?
My brother dont be deceived, Polygamy is unscriptural! God detests it! Your experience doesnt disannul Gods words. However, the fruits of polygamy are not involved in the sin! Anyone in the sin should repent now for God made just one Eve for Adam and commanded 'a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife' not wives, as in one.. Even morally, I doubt if its proper...One man One woman is fair enough! Dont be offended, the truth is sometimes better but must still be told.

you are an idiott, and no apology for that!

If God made ONLY Adam and Eve at the begining, who then are those people Cain and God spoke about when God was pronouncing punish ment on him for killing his brother and he was complain of the severity of the punishment? He said: "anyone who sees me will kill me..." and God said: "anyone who does that, will recieve several times your punishment". So who were the "anyone" the both of them spoke of? Later in that chapter, they said "and cain knew his wife". Are you going to tell me he married his own sister? Why don't you stop your bulshit and stop spreading hate and dividing people, people who are better christians than you!

You say God detests it. Why don't you just open the bible and tell where it was spelt out that way? If God detests it, why then did Jesus not come through all the first wives? If God detests it like you claim, why then don't you have the confidence to classify it as a sin and can take someone to hell? And what spiritual revelation does polygamy violate? Your God has not classified polygamy a sin, stop playing assistant God and helping him to make laws when you are just a mere mortal!

And before i forget, yes, the bible said "...cleave to his wife" and not "wives". But that's because when a man gets married to more than one, they are not getting into a trinity or a 'fournity'. Each wife is his wife, whole and entire. He is their husbands each, whole and entire. So yes, that passage applies to polygamy too.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by solbil: 7:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sjoy:

are you going to return your waec certificate too, when you get born again and call it restitution because you cheated to get it? If you you do that, i want you to know that the cross is of no importance to you for you are trying to win your salvation all by yourself, and not trusting the grace of God that have won it for you as a gift.

Why don't you tell him to rewind time so that all meat he stole from his mother's pot can be returned.

1 Like

Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Btruth: 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2017
Sjoy:
You are right Sjoy. Well, we are trying to bring all the kids to understanding the past now. And the Lord is taking all the glory already. Just sight this examples for others to learn from it. Because, here we are talking about a man with 2 wives, what do we now say about a converted Muslim man with 4 wives and truly turn a born again christian. And using his influence on his families to bring all of them back to Christ? Do we now stand to judge him?
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by Roseey0(f): 8:00pm On Feb 26, 2017
There is no right or wrong here.

If you paid their bride price, u must remain married to both.
Paul only advised one man to one woman to reduce commotion associated with polygamy in the early church.
Re: Having Two Wives But Now A Born Again by enshy: 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2017
solbil:

you are an idiott, and no apology for that!

If God made ONLY Adam and Eve at the begining, who then are those people Cain and God spoke about when God was pronouncing punish ment on him for killing his brother and he was complain of the severity of the punishment? He said: "anyone who sees me will kill me..." and God said: "anyone who does that, will recieve several times your punishment". So who were the "anyone" the both of them spoke of? Later in that chapter, they said "and cain knew his wife". Are you going to tell me he married his own sister? Why don't you stop your bulshit and stop spreading hate and dividing people, people who are better christians than you!

You say God detests it. Why don't you just open the bible and tell where it was spelt out that way? If God detests it, why then did Jesus not come through all the first wives? If God detests it like you claim, why then don't you have the confidence to classify it as a sin and can take someone to hell? And what spiritual revelation does polygamy violate? Your God has not classified polygamy a sin, stop playing assistant God and helping him to make laws when you are just a mere mortal!

And before i forget, yes, the bible said "...cleave to his wife" and not "wives". But that's because when a man gets married to more than one, they are not getting into a trinity or a 'fournity'. Each wife is his wife, whole and entire. He is their husbands each, whole and entire. So yes, that passage applies to polygamy too.
In the first place, if you can call your fellow an idiot for no reason and you say no apologies as against Gods commands, then you can do anything against His commands to suit yourself. A believer wouldnt call a fellow an idiot! Pleasing God isnt your passion yet so you wouldnt understand the sinfulness of polygamy even if I keep explaining.
I pray God reveals the truth to you but may it be known today to all that Polygamy is a sin, let all repent and turn to God..Jesus is coming and must not meet you in adultery...God help us all and keep us till his coming..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stop Praying For The Dead - Pastor Giwa Charges Christians / 6 Ways Ministers Of God Can Avoid Scandals / My Daughter, Deedee, Got Baptised This Morning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.