Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? (22107 Views)

Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives / Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives / Are Fathers Jealous Of Their Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by gracious(f): 4:32pm On Dec 08, 2005
Have you ever noticed that your relatives such as your cousins, aunties and uncles get jealous when they find out you are prosperous or really doing good. well i don't know about you. but please give your opinion.

For example: my sister happened to travel to america and all of a sudden, my aunty is always telling her children to quickly graduate from university so that they can travel. don't you see that as jealousy? also my cousin is always like hmmm, your sister is enjoying in america, i will come and meet her there. As for me i feel those comments are not good. they are only envious about her. what do you guys think?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by da808cutie(f): 10:21pm On Dec 08, 2005
they might just be ambitious. but sometimes, ambitions without any assurance of getting there may lead to jealousy. pray hard sha, you know what they say: "jealousy is the root of all evil."

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by jacq(f): 9:49pm On Dec 09, 2005
I have experience of this and i find it something that happens alot in most nigeria families expecially if someone happens to make it overseas.
then comes alot of green eye monsters.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Renike(f): 4:23am On Dec 10, 2005
very ( if not extremely ) normal!
even ppl u dont know dat well..friends..relative..etc
when ppl achieve what u cldnt or are higher..what do u expect?
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Renike(f): 4:24am On Dec 10, 2005
and please..itz not just nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Oracle(m): 4:53am On Dec 10, 2005
It happens when the family member is successful and others are not, but some people can be very greedy and this makes the unsuccessful member not only jealous but also angry and it makes them react.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by chy(f): 3:29pm On Mar 14, 2006
i feel jealousy is natural in human but it depends
on how you control yours it can either amount to competition
within a family circle which can develop into serious issues
and quarrel
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by amaikama(m): 5:41pm On Feb 16, 2010
@poster, you forget, the first murder in the Bible, was it not committed due to jealousy, the spirit still exist as we speak, so, be very careful with your relatives even if u spend all ur achievement on them, they still will crucify u, cry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 16, 2010
It depends on how successful the relatives are themselves to start with.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Pittbaby(f): 6:17pm On Feb 16, 2010
jealously is a natural emotion. Control what you tell your relatives. they might know she is in the states but you dont have to tell them what she is doing. The answer to what she is doing there is simply she is working hard to make ends meet. Cos its not only jealously she has to worry about also unrealistic pressures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
I've noticed it esp because i've experienced it firsthand from an aunt whom i was very close to as a child.
We're more or less like strangers now as she does not want to have anything to do with me.
Its not like we quarelled or anything. Her attitude just changed the moment i got married.
I have since stopped letting it bother me.
The most important thing is that one is successfull so pray that you keep succeding
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Sissy3(f): 4:33am On Feb 17, 2010
thats life.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by jumie(f): 10:17am On Feb 17, 2010
Thank God you have someone jealous of your success. It only means you are better off than them grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by iice(f): 4:31pm On Feb 17, 2010
Human nature. . .can't really be bothered
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by snowdrops(m): 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2010
gracious:

Have you ever noticed that your relatives such as your cousins, aunties and uncles get jealous when they find out you are prosperous or really doing good. well i don't know about you. but please give your opinion.

For example: my sister happened to travel to america and all of a sudden, my aunty is always telling her children to quickly graduate from university so that they can travel. don't you see that as jealousy? also my cousin is always like hmmm, your sister is enjoying in america, i will come and meet her there. As for me i feel those comments are not good. they are only envious about her. what do you guys think?
Examples cited may only be innocent envy rather than malicious jealousy as you feel.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by snowdrops(m): 4:54pm On Feb 17, 2010
iice:

Human nature. . .can't really be bothered
You have to be bothered as aggressive jealously may lead to harm whether physically or spiritually tongue
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by iice(f): 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
snowdrops:

You have to be bothered as aggressive jealously may lead to harm whether physically or spiritually tongue

Is that all? grin grin
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by snowdrops(m): 5:07pm On Feb 17, 2010
iice:

Is that all? grin grin
Yes o. Abi dat one no do? tongue
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by iice(f): 5:11pm On Feb 17, 2010
At all ooo. . . tongue
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by snowdrops(m): 5:16pm On Feb 17, 2010
iice:

At all ooo. . . tongue
One needs to be on his/her guard when it comes to the jealous relatives before them send air commanders come pay homage for night wink
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by iice(f): 5:20pm On Feb 17, 2010
snowdrops:

One needs to be on his/her guard when it comes to the jealous relatives before them send air commanders come pay homage for night wink

Rofl @ air commanders cheesy
One needs to be on guard with people - period.  So it's not something i'm worried about wink 
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by kokoye(m): 6:51pm On Feb 17, 2010
@ post.

Ur auntie's comments does not sound like jealousy - she just wants the best for her kids as well. is there anything wrong with that?

The jealous and evil nigerian woman will not talk about it infront of you - they will just be wishing evil behind ones back.

You are the one trying to insinuate and create a mountain where there is none.

Rumor mongerer.

Maybe you are also jealous of your sister and you are just trying to deflect it.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by jaybee3(m): 1:41pm On Feb 18, 2010
joy101:

Hello

I am Miss joy how are you! hope you are fine and in perfect
condition of health.I went through your profile and i read it and took interest in it,if you don't mind i will like you to write me on this IDsadjoyvaye10@yahoo.com) hope to hear from you soon, I will be waiting for
your mail because i have something VERY important to tell you.
Lots of love,
joybaby!
tell your boss to refund you your yahoo yahoo apprenticeship dosh cos he/she certainly hasn't trained u well.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by snowdrops(m): 2:21pm On Feb 18, 2010
joy101:

Hello

I am Miss joy how are you! hope you are fine and in perfect
condition of health.I went through your profile and i read it and took interest in it,if you don't mind i will like you to write me on this IDsadjoyvaye10@yahoo.com) hope to hear from you soon, I will be waiting for
your mail because i have something VERY important to tell you.
Lots of love,
joybaby!
You well so?
NL does have some weirdoos but you are the most ridiculous one i have come across.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by MsTom(f): 2:45pm On Feb 18, 2010
kokoye:

@ post.

your auntie's comments does not sound like jealousy - she just wants the best for her kids as well. is there anything wrong with that?

The jealous and evil nigerian woman will not talk about it infront of you - they will just be wishing evil behind ones back.

You are the one trying to insinuate and create a mountain where there is none.

Rumor mongerer.

Maybe you are also jealous of your sister and you are just trying to deflect it.

funny, same thot came to me about the OP.

@kokoye, funny username and to think you stay in their neighborhood.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by dominique(f): 2:56pm On Feb 18, 2010
you can choose your friend but you cant choose your family.

a good, loyal and reliable friend is better than most family members who will laugh with you and wish you harm secretly.

thats why most people are severing ties from their family members.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by dominique(f): 2:58pm On Feb 18, 2010
how come this ooooold post is just making home page grin
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 18, 2010
Oracle:

It happens when the family member is successful and others are not, but some people can be very greedy and this makes the unsuccessful member not only jealous but also angry and it makes them react.

You are right on point.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 18, 2010
amaikama:

@poster, you forget, the first murder in the Bible, was it not committed due to jealousy, the spirit still exist as we speak, so, be very careful with your relatives even if u spend all your achievement on them, they still will crucify u, cry

hahaha

But not all, though.  smiley
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 18, 2010
~Sissy~:

thats life.

lol  grin

Anyway sha, na God go save man pikin o!
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by Zotse: 3:30pm On Feb 18, 2010
Your example does not mean jealousy at all. May be they see going overseas as an achievement and so they want the same thing. What is wrong with that. That is not jealousy.
Re: Why Are Relatives Always Jealous Of One's Success? by sophy09: 3:30pm On Feb 18, 2010
It is not only relatives that are jealous of one's success. Friends, neighbors and at times people you do not know. I was in

the bus, the traffic was something else. There was a young guy driving a latest car, he was trying to switch lanes and he

begged the bus driver for space in front of him. The guy in the bus screamed at the driver NO! He was so angry, "No, don't

give him any chance at all, all these rich men children. They  think they can just do anything they want." People in the bus

just turned to look at him. The driver was forced to ask if he knew him before. So my sister outsiders sef they jealous

people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black And White Twins / What It Is Like Coming From A Poor Background, And The Way To Succeed In Life. / "I Quit My Job To Submit To My Husband"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.