Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,869 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks (18771 Views)

Italy Apologizes To Nigerian Government For Hurriedly Burying 26 Girls / Man Slams Ogun Government For Going To Watch Antony Joshua’s Fight / Nigerian Senate May Expel DSTV, MTN, Shoprite Over Xenophobic Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Cambells: 7:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
Former president of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has blamed the `laxity and insincerity’ of the South African Government under President Jacob Zuma for the incessant Xenophobic Attacks on foreigners.

The ex-president condemned the attacks on Wednesday in Abeokuta when he received the leadership of the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, (NIPSS) Kuru, Jos who paid him a courtesy call.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Obasanjo described the development as a `betrayal’ of the struggle for the emancipation of the country against the apartheid regime.

He said: “I will apportion more blame to the leadership of the South African government.

“While the immaturity of the youths can be excused, the leaders ought to realise the importance of unity and brotherliness in Africa.

“While I blame the youths of the country for the attacks, I will blame the leaders of any country more that allows xenophobic attacks against fellow Africans for whatever reason.

Obasanjo also called on African leaders to ensure good governance for the overall development of the continent.

“African leaders should also step up measures at developing their countries and improve the living standards of their citizens.

“This will discourage our youths who because of underdevelopment and poor living standard seek greener pastures outside their countries.

“I feel disheartened learning that many of our youths perish while crossing the Sahara Desert or the Mediterranean Sea.’’ he said.

http://www.cambellsblog.com/2017/03/obasanjo-blames-south-african.html

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Cambells: 7:08pm On Mar 01, 2017
Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Rollsnjaguar(m): 7:09pm On Mar 01, 2017
I think closing down South African embassy could have sent a strong message, but this is Nigeria.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by schoolboymatt(m): 7:16pm On Mar 01, 2017
Rollsnjaguar:
I think closing down South African embassy could have sent a strong message, but this is Nigeria.
I reason with you

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by olayinks007(m): 7:17pm On Mar 01, 2017
Rollsnjaguar:
Abi oooo. Infact baba OBJ dey blame S. A. though dem craze 4 head buh no b dem dem put us whr we r 2day.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 01, 2017
No be the same Obasanjo send soldiers to go and destroyed odi and zarki biam?Hypocrite.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by GodIsFoolish: 8:01pm On Mar 01, 2017
Xenophobia

how South Africans fight drug dealers

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by slurryeye: 8:33pm On Mar 01, 2017
I have been seeing this recent Xenophobic attacks on foreigners by black South Africans, and I will advise my Nigerian brothers and sisters in South Africa to go back home or relocate to another country. Forget about your assets in the country, your life is more valuable than any business or property you have there. From my observation of the events, it is very glaring that black south Africans have gigantic hatred towards Nigerians and other nationals. In support of what obj said, I think the inaction of south african government against these xenophobists speaks volume. How could a government do nothing to the bastards killing innocent foreigners because they think they are drug dealers and they are taking their jobs? Shame on Jacob Zuma government for allowing these xenophobic attacks to continue. I remember when Nigeria was in economic recession during Shagari tenure, and the government had conference to expel illegal immigrants, no Nigerian attacked or killed any of the illegal immigrants, though we taunted them with the popular Ghana must go, nothing more than that. Now Nigeria is in recession again, we are not blaming any foreigner for our economic situation.
People keep saying, foreigners should respect their laws, but the question remains that if there are immigrants disobeying the laws of the land, does that give some citizens the right to put justice into their hands and kill them if not that South Africa is such a shameless and lawless country.
Some people give excuse that those attacking are illiterate black south Africans, my question to that is why is the voices of educated black South Africans and white South Africans silent on this issue? South Africa is such a useless country.
On this reoccurring xenophobic attacks, I'm not only going to blame uneducated black South Africans and South African government, I also blame the educated ones among them for their silence on the issue as well as African leaders and Africa Union. All these useless African leaders are going about their business and none of them is saying anything against this as if it is a normal thing the way their citizens are being killed on the street of South Africa like chickens. And what is stopping stupid Africa Union to have placed sanctions on South Africa by now? Is it until all the immigrants in that country are killed? Smh for the continent of Africa

34 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by brownies1: 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2017
cool
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Mopolchi: 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2017
This one Obósanjo talk, hope we are safe?
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Rilwayne001: 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2017
GodIsFoolish:
Xenophobia

how South Africans fight drug dealers

This is really sad! embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:34pm On Mar 01, 2017
Me I blame our past Leaders, if Nigeria hv had better Leader nobody will want to Live in London Let alone South Africa. Abi u don see person wey live Dubia come base for Somalia?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by ajuwarhodes(f): 8:35pm On Mar 01, 2017
Na today him just wakeup
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Rilwayne001: 8:35pm On Mar 01, 2017
Love Machine:
No be the same Obasanjo send soldiers to go and destroyed odi and zarki biam?Hypocrite.

Shut up jor

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2017
Thank u Obj. Since you're using your kind APC heart to look into the xenophobic killings in South Africa I will also want u to look into the jungle justice killings in Nigeria.
God bless all APC members. Stop jungle justice. cry cry

My name is Ipobexposed embarassed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by AdonaiRoofing(m): 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2017
Sure they are to blame to a large extent, though Nigerians there should also respect the laws of their host country

Contact us for all your roofing jobs and roof maintenance etc
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by martineverest(m): 8:37pm On Mar 01, 2017
true...from what abike dabiri said on TVC news,most south African politicians use anti foreigners strategy to garner support from deluded masses

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Smooyis(m): 8:37pm On Mar 01, 2017
True
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by 3RNEST(m): 8:38pm On Mar 01, 2017
South Africans suck big time
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by ritababe(f): 8:40pm On Mar 01, 2017
he is the cause of it all.
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 01, 2017
OBJ you are part of the reason why our youths seek greener pasture outside this country.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Donald7610: 8:41pm On Mar 01, 2017
Yes o
There are many people who feel that it is useless and futile to continue talking about peace and non-violence against a government whose only reply is savage attacks on an unarmed and defenseless people.
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by searchng4love: 8:42pm On Mar 01, 2017
Uu
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by nickxtra(m): 8:42pm On Mar 01, 2017
Love Machine:
How does this come in to make any sense here?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Abalado(f): 8:42pm On Mar 01, 2017
fayose,oya reply baba back...
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by visijo(m): 8:43pm On Mar 01, 2017
baba has spoken, so be it...
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Endtimesmith(m): 8:43pm On Mar 01, 2017
Obasanjo! Obasanjo!!Obasanjo!!!
Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Ijaya123: 8:44pm On Mar 01, 2017
Nigerian government also has a blame in this. The response was too weak from the government. I expected stronger reaction.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by fufuNegusi(m): 8:45pm On Mar 01, 2017
I will only condemn South Africa for the killings that occurred

But I won't blame them for been Xenophobic

We all seem to forget too quick
That Nigeria started this first...

During the time of GHANA MUST GO

The treatment given to our Ghanaian brothers then was totally inhumane
Now they fixed-ing up their country, and my fellow Nigerians are running off to Ghana now

The best we can do now... Is to come back home and develop our country
In few years South Africans will beg for Nigerian Visa

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by onadana: 8:46pm On Mar 01, 2017
Rollsnjaguar:

Diplomacy doesn't work like that. ..diplomacy doesn't work with emotions.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Blames South African Government For Xenophobic Attacks by Oti4truth: 8:47pm On Mar 01, 2017
THE WORLD WILL NOT RESPECT AFRICA UNTIL NIGERIA EARNS THAT RESPECT. THE BLACK PEOPLE OF THE WORLD NEED NIGERIA TO BE GREAT AS A SOURCE OF PRIDE AND CONFIDENCE
-NELSON MANDELA

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yari Writes Governor Matawalle On Non-Payment Of His Pension / Emeka Ihedioha Receives Cheers At Iwuanyanwu's Birthday Service (Pictures) / What Kayode Ogundamisi Said About Buhari In 2003

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.