Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Speaking In Tongue - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongue (1683 Views)

How Do You Feel After Speaking In Tongue? / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 5:21am On Mar 02, 2017
Goodmorning to everybody in this blessed forum i pray we all see the face of the lord today in Jesus name.I am not here to cause hullabaloo or any imbroglio but just to hear your veiw on this very topic IS SPEAKING IN TONGUE BIBLICAL?pls i need ur full understand and those bible references to back your point.Stay cool and have a good time ahead thanks.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by greatnaija01: 8:22am On Mar 02, 2017
STUDY 1 CORINTHIANS 14 And if it is not enough
let me take time to help you

Seven Reasons Why Every Christian Should Speak in Tongues

The Apostle Paul wrote and spoke much about the subject of speaking in other tongues, and he apparently practiced what he preached, for he said, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all” (1 Cor. 14:18).

The purpose of this particular article is to briefly set forth seven reasons why every Christian should speak in tongues and to help believers see the blessings that can be theirs through daily appropriating the power of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

Reason Number One

The Word of God teaches that when we are filled with the Holy Ghost, we speak with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives utterance. Speaking in tongues is an initial evidence, or sign, of the baptism of the Holy Spirit: “And they were all FILLED WITH THE HOLY GHOST, and began to SPEAK WITH OTHER TONGUES, as the Spirit gave them utterance” (Acts 2:4).

Reason Number Two

Paul encouraged the Corinthian Christians to continue the practice of speaking with other tongues in their worship of God. He also encouraged them to speak in tongues in their individual prayer life as a means of spiritual edification, or building up. The Bible says, “He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself . . .” (1 Cor. 14:4).

Paul also stated in First Corinthians 14:14, “For if I pray in an unknown tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYETH, but my understanding is unfruitful.” Notice he said, “My spirit prays.”

The Amplified Bible reads, “My spirit [by the Holy Spirit within me] prays . . . .” God is a Spirit. When you pray in tongues, your spirit is in direct contact with God, who is a Spirit. When you speak in tongues, you are talking to Him by divine, supernatural means.

Reason Number Three

A third reason people should speak with other tongues is that speaking with tongues keeps us continually aware of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling Presence. Not only is speaking with tongues the initial sign or evidence of the Holy Spirit’s infilling, but continuing to pray and to worship God in tongues helps us to be ever-con­scious of His indwelling Presence. And if you are conscious of the indwelling Presence of the Holy Ghost every day, that is bound to affect the way you think and live.

Reason Number Four

Speaking in tongues eliminates the possibility of selfishness entering our prayer life. For instance, if I pray a prayer out of my own mind and out of my own thinking, it may be unscriptural. It may be selfish.

Paul wrote to the Church at Rome, “We know not what we should pray for as we ought. . .” (Rom. 8:26). He didn’t say we didn’t know how to pray, because we are instructed to pray to the Father in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ (John 16:23–24).

But just because I know how to pray doesn’t mean that I know what to pray for as I ought. So Paul said, “We know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself [Himself] maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered” (Rom. 8:26).

The Holy Ghost is not going to do our praying for us. He is sent to help us pray. Speak­ing with other tongues is praying as the Spirit gives utterance. It is Spirit-directed praying. And it eliminates the possibility of selfishness in our prayers.

Reason Number Five

A fifth reason believers should speak with tongues is that it helps them learn to trust God more fully. It builds one’s faith to speak in tongues. The Bible says, “Building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost” (Jude 20).

Speaking in tongues stimulates faith and helps us learn how to trust God more fully. For example, faith must be exercised to speak with tongues because the Holy Spirit supernaturally directs the words we speak. You see, we don’t know what the next word will be—we have to trust God for that. And trusting God in one area helps us learn to trust Him in another area.

Reason Number Six

A sixth reason every believer should speak in tongues is that it provides a way for you to pray about things that you wouldn’t think to pray about or aren’t even aware of. We already know that the Holy Spirit helps us pray for particular situations when we don’t know how to pray about those situations. In addition, the Holy Spirit, Who knows everything, can pray things through us for things about which our natural mind knows nothing.

Reason Number Seven

A seventh reason why every believer should speak with tongues is found in James 3:8. “But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison,” Yielding your tongue to the Holy Spirit to speak with other tongues is a big step toward being able to fully yield all of your members to God; for if you can yield your tongue, you can yield any member of your body to God.

Speaking in tongues is the initial evidence of the infilling of the Holy Spirit. God has given us this wonderful spiritual gift to bless us, edify us, and refresh us throughout our lives on this earth. Let’s receive what God has provided and enjoy the bene­fits of speaking in tongues!

anjowaka510:
Goodmorning to everybody in this blessed forum i pray we all see the face of the lord today in Jesus name.I am not here to cause hullabaloo or any imbroglio but just to hear your veiw on this very topic IS SPEAKING IN TONGUE BIBLICAL?pls i need ur full understand and those bible references to back your point.Stay cool and have a good time ahead thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 8:56am On Mar 02, 2017
@greatnaija1 thanks and more anointing sir
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 11:10pm On Mar 07, 2017
I was expecting to view page 16 on this, all the same, what's speaking in tongues, speaking in tongues is a gift that was said to be a form of gift which Paul referred to as a form of prayer, a prayer that involves the Holy Spirit actually praying for you. The Holy Spirit praying through you for you, I think that's the simplest meaning. Romans 8:26-27. You could see also, Joel 2:28 for more reference, n the list goes on, but what qualifies you to speak in tongues is a pure life of holiness.

I have seen people receive the gift even in sin, but the truth is, they would speak, but the Holy Spirit won't find expression thru them, because they keep quenching the fire that should be burning endlessly through sin.

Sin is a void, and I mean it, a big void that drains one spiritually
Re: Speaking In Tongue by enshy: 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2017
My Friend, speaking in tongues is scriptural in the following contexts:
1. as initial evidence of baptism in the Holy Ghost
2. in praying to God
3. with interpretation, it blesses the believers
4. as a sign to the unbelievers
I shew you a more excellent way: dont seek to speak in tongues but to be baptized in the Holy Ghost!
Some have become so desperate that they learn the tongues and recite one word in prayer.
Tongue speaking isnt recitation or one word, its a flow of words, sentences, statements backed with power to deliver and immediately dispatch requests.
Today: they speak in tongues but are shy to preach, no signs/wonders, no fruits of the spirit, no umderstanding of scriptures, no compassion for lost souls, no gifts of the spirit, no sanctification of the heart, no answered prayers, no spirit direction...
You speak in tongues but no immersion in the Holy Ghost, you seem to be one that was baptised by sprinkling, you seem to be simon the magician who has cornered his way out, you will only make a fool of your spiritual state!
The baptism in the Holy Ghost empowers you for Gods assignment!
Seek Holy Ghost baptism, speaking in tongues is just a fraction in the entire package!
God bless your heart!

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 12:51am On Mar 08, 2017
enshy:
My Friend, speaking in tongues is scriptural in the following contexts:
1. as initial evidence of baptism in the Holy Ghost
2. in praying to God
3. with interpretation, it blesses the believers
4. as a sign to the unbelievers
I shew you a more excellent way: dont seek to speak in tongues but to be baptized in the Holy Ghost!
Some have become so desperate that they learn the tongues and recite one word in prayer.
Tongue speaking isnt recitation or one word, its a flow of words, sentences, statements backed with power to deliver and immediately dispatch requests.
Today: they speak in tongues but are shy to preach, no signs/wonders, no fruits of the spirit, no umderstanding of scriptures, no compassion for lost souls, no gifts of the spirit, no sanctification of the heart, no answered prayers, no spirit direction...
You speak in tongues but no immersion in the Holy Ghost, you seem to be one that was baptised by sprinkling, you seem to be simon the magician who has cornered his way out, you will only make a fool of your spiritual state!
The baptism in the Holy Ghost empowers you for Gods assignment!
Seek Holy Ghost baptism, speaking in tongues is just a fraction in the entire package!
God bless your heart!

Deep. We just see people speaking.

I went to Oau if you know the school.

There are many speaking in tongues and those who believe new members to their fellowship should speak in tongues. I believe we should sanctify ourselves then await the filling of the Holy Ghost.

As I was saying, many speak in tongues, by this time, if you go to sport complex, you see people praying, yet, nothing to show for it, I think I have the answer, we have mouthed Christians, we don't have hearted Christians
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GoodMuyis(m): 8:35am On Mar 08, 2017
I love this thread, and issue had addressed, I don't need to spoil the show.

A lot of Christian don't even care about praying in tongue, most have believe its not possible and those who speak it do fake it.

There are those who care about praying in tongue, but forgot that it is a gift packaged in Holy Ghost Baptism.

There are those who pray in tongue, and are satisfy never bother about the power of the Holy Ghost, to evangelised, pray for the seek to recover, manifesting other gift of the Spirit.

There are those who desire the experience of Holy Ghost baptism, but never sanctified them self, but rather believed in praying all time for it.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by MuttleyLaff: 8:53am On Mar 08, 2017
GoodMuyis:
I love this thread, and issue had addressed, I don't need to spoil the show.
A lot of Christian don't even care about praying in tongue, most have believe its not possible and those who speak it do fake it.

There are those who care about praying in tongue, but forgot that it is a gift packaged in Holy Ghost Baptism.

There are those who pray in tongue,
and are satisfy never bother about the power of the Holy Ghost, to evangelised, pray for the seek to recover, manifesting other gift of the Spirit.
There are those who desire the experience of Holy Ghost baptism, but never sanctified them self, but rather believed in praying all time for it.
Answering OP, speaking in tongues is biblical and its usually done for the unbelievers' sake (e.g. not-believing Jews etcetera)
On top of that, NT, prefers you prophesy, than speaking in tongue(s)
Now, I am not asking... I am just asking
Can you provide in the Bible, leaving nothing merely implied, verses where believers are explicitly asked to ''pray in tongue(s)''?
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 8:32pm On Mar 08, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Answering OP, speaking in tongues is biblical and its usually done for the unbelievers' sake (e.g. not-believing Jews etcetera)
Can you provide in the Bible, leaving nothing merely implied, verses where believers are explicitly asked to ''pray in tongue(s)''?

1 Corin 14:39
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 8:36pm On Mar 08, 2017
Somebody should translate this tongue for me

Alaga gwogwo tigwogwo.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 8:39pm On Mar 08, 2017
jmichlins:

Alaga gwogwo tigwogwo.

Could you be serious for once
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 8:49pm On Mar 08, 2017
GodsMopol:

Could you be serious for once
what is your problem. I just asked a simple request which you can grant or ignore. You guys will be making some sounds and noise and I just made mine and you are questioning my seriousness
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 8:57pm On Mar 08, 2017
jmichlins:
what is your problem. I just asked a simple request which you can grant or ignore. You guys will be making some sounds and noise and I just made mine and you are questioning my seriousness

Be serious for once
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 9:00pm On Mar 08, 2017
GodsMopol:

Be serious for once
you want see seriousness abi?

Oya come slap me make I bone face
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 10:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
jmichlins:
you want see seriousness abi?

Oya come slap me make I bone face

Looool, what's up bro, I just dey whine you o, but I fit slap you ooo, just no bone face

PS, tongues are real.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 6:50am On Mar 09, 2017
GodsMopol:

Looool, what's up bro, I just dey whine you o, but I fit slap you ooo, just no bone face

PS, tongues are real.

I think you should change your name to Godsterrorist
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GoodMuyis(m): 7:26am On Mar 09, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

Yes Sir,
There is NONE, except for Jude 1:20 that mention "praying in the Holy Ghost", as such one could accept to pray Pray in tongue base on that.

For the fact that Bible does not command us to, neither did it discourage Praying in tongue.

But one thing to note is that praying in tongue is PERSONAL experience, although it edify the church. But this days we see everyone wanted to flaunt it, even pastor who will continue to say babababa...
Re: Speaking In Tongue by GoodMuyis(m): 7:29am On Mar 09, 2017
jmichlins:

Alaga gwogwo tigwogwo.

It sound like you are speaking through you shit-hole
Na you mess sound be that?
Re: Speaking In Tongue by MuttleyLaff: 7:34am On Mar 09, 2017
GodsMopol:
Good attempt but you could do better GodsMopol

Remember, I did not ask for a scripture on ''speak in tongues'' but said to GoodMuyis:
Can you provide in the Bible, leaving nothing merely implied, verses where believers, are explicitly asked to ''pray in tongue(s)''?
Re: Speaking In Tongue by MuttleyLaff: 7:55am On Mar 09, 2017
GoodMuyis:
Yes Sir,
There is NONE, except for Jude 1:20 that mention "praying in the Holy Ghost", as such one could accept to pray Pray in tongue base on that.

For the fact that Bible does not command us to, neither did it discourage Praying in tongue.

But one thing to note is that praying in tongue is PERSONAL experience, although it edify the church.

But this days we see everyone wanted to flaunt it, even pastor who will continue to say babababa...
Thank you my dear brother for your kind and sincere honesty

Lets just start with these few cross-questions instead of having a flurry of them

Do you accept that praying in the Holy Ghost (i.e. praying in the spirit) is not a synonymous for ''praying in tongue''?
Do you also accept that none of the disciples, none of the Apostle (e.g. Paul etcetera) did not ''pray in tongues''?

I have read about ''speaking in tongues edifies the church''
but never read in the Bible about ''praying in tongues edifies the church''
so would you mind sharing which scriptures says: praying in tongues edifies the church

You are creating an alternative fact by saying: ''praying in tongue is PERSONAL experience''
If you arent, then please tell how you came about this statement
Re: Speaking In Tongue by CandidSeeker(m): 12:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Thank you my dear brother for your kind and sincere honesty

Lets just start with these few cross-questions instead of having a flurry of them

Do you accept that praying in the Holy Ghost (i.e. praying in the spirit) is not a synonymous for ''praying in tongue''?
Do you also accept that none of the disciples, none of the Apostle (e.g. Paul etcetera) did not ''pray in tongues''?

I have read about ''speaking in tongues edifies the church''
but never read in the Bible about ''praying in tongues edifies the church''
so would you mind sharing which scriptures says: praying in tongues edifies the church

You are creating an alternative fact by saying: ''praying in tongue is PERSONAL experience''
If you arent, then please tell how you came about this statement

Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administration, diversities of tongues.

Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet I show unto you a more excellent way. >>>>>> Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not LOVE, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not LOVE, I AM NOTHING.

-Peace.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 09, 2017
"Diversities of tongues" means speaking in a foreign language NOT an unknown lamguage that no human can understand.

Example: If I travel to Amsterdam and they speak Dutch....which I don't understand...then that becomes an unknown tongue to me. When my dad speaks Igbo, then that is an unknown language since I don't understand it.

Speaking in tongues is made for the edification of the church. A pastor or lay person who is given the gift of diversities of tongues means he can speak multiple languages (to any audience ) and can therefore reach more people who don't know about Christ.

Folks...let's not get into any arguments about this...I know many will disagree with me.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 4:18pm On Mar 09, 2017
[quote author=GodsMopol post=54372047]I was expecting to view page 16 on this, all the same, what's speaking in tongues, speaking in tongues is a gift that was said to be a form of gift which Paul referred to as a form of prayer, a prayer that involves the Holy Spirit actually praying for you. The Holy Spirit praying through you for you, I think that's the simplest meaning. Romans 8:26-27. You could see also, Joel 2:28 for more reference, n the list goes on, but what qualifies you to speak in tongues is a pure life of holiness.

I have seen people receive the gift even in sin, but the truth is, they would speak, but the Holy Spirit won't find expression thru them, because they keep quenching the fire that should be burning endlessly through sin.

Sin is a void, and I mean it, a big void that drains one spiritually[thanks bro
Re: Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 8:07pm On Mar 09, 2017
[quote author=GodsMopol post=54400041]

This is a very good answer to the question.Q.E.D

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongue by GodsMopol: 8:18pm On Mar 09, 2017
[quote author=anjowaka510 post=54432902][/quote]

When i saw the guys comment, I had to go check the verse again to see if i misquoted, probably he misreaded
Re: Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2017
jmichlins:

Alaga gwogwo tigwogwo.

I means Jesus is coming soon smiley smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2017
anjowaka510:
I means Jesus is coming soon smiley smiley
from which galaxy and using which traveling method
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 8:51pm On Mar 09, 2017
MZLady39:
"Diversities of tongues" means speaking in a foreign language NOT an unknown lamguage that no human can understand.

Example: If I travel to Amsterdam and they speak Dutch....which I don't understand...then that becomes an unknown tongue to me. When my dad speaks Igbo, then that is an unknown language since I don't understand it.

Speaking in tongues is made for the edification of the church. A pastor who was given the gift of diversities of tongues means he can speak multiple languages (wherever he travels) and can therefore reach more people who don't know.

Folks...let's not get into any arguments about this...I know many will disagree with me.
you are the only one that made sense. I remember the bible saying that if one should be speaking in tongues which no one understands, that he should stop cause it's waste of time. Paul said so sha
Re: Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 8:55pm On Mar 09, 2017
jmichlins:
from which galaxy and using which traveling method
just like it is said in the bible that Jesus is coming back he will surely come (john 14v1-4)
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 8:58pm On Mar 09, 2017
anjowaka510:
just like it is said in the bible that Jesus is coming back he will surely come (john 14v1-4)
hmm

Have you heard about Horus? Go read more folklore.
Re: Speaking In Tongue by anjowaka510(m): 9:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
jmichlins:
hmm

Have you heard about Horus? Go read more folklore.
what am saying here is far beyond tradionals,customs and cultural believes is a word that every creature is expected to subscribe to (he will come just like the interpretation of ur tongue
Re: Speaking In Tongue by jmichlins(m): 9:20pm On Mar 09, 2017
anjowaka510:
what am saying here is far beyond tradionals,customs and cultural believes is a word that every creature is expected to subscriber to (he will come just like the interpretation of ur tongue
fyi that book you are subscribing to is a cultural and regional folklore like sango, ogun and amadioha but because there's is documented and written down it's bought and forced down on us and if you question it, they threaten you with hell fire

(1) (2) (Reply)

Religious People, Does Allah Forgive? / Photos:dr Pastor Paul Enenche Of Dunamis Visit Those Affected By #makurdiflood / Yashua Will Come In The Clouds Of Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.