Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,852 members, 7,841,218 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again (15890 Views)

El-Rufai Curses Senators Shehu Sani, Hunkuyi, La’ah For Opposing $350M Loan / Nigerians Criticise Senate For Asking CBN To Give Dollars At N200 For Pilgrimage / Ambode To Pump $60m Into Lekki Free Zone Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by DCTrendy(m): 9:17am On Mar 04, 2017
If we have $29B in reserve, let the government pump about $1B to the market! Yes! 1Billion!

And make the product so available in every corner. Force it down back to the 250 arena. The oil price is already raising and it ll keep going back. It will trade around 89$ by the end of this year. Pamper the milliants and call cows uncle so that they ll allow us to sell the oil in peace.

This can be sustained! If you re hoarding your dollars, you re on your own.

Dangote refinery ll soon be ready, demand for dollar ll be drastically reduced. Several states like Kebbi re planting rice, Dangote Cement is being exported at the moment. Before you know what is happening, people will only need $$ for school fees abroad, PTA and raw materials for the manufacturing firms.

It is very much possible and it ll happen. If you think you re going to keep selling your dollars at N500, u re joking and u will soon be MMMed again.

Cheers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by juman(m): 9:22am On Mar 04, 2017
In this kind of situation, if you are friend to the government its very easy to be billionaire.

May be buhari would be later claiming of creating of hundreds of billionaires.

APC forex thing is a thieving thing.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by oyinkinola: 9:23am On Mar 04, 2017
futurism:
Ha.... e don be oooo grin I love this Osibande... sorry, I mean daddy Osibanjo cheesy
...stop nonsense, it's Osinbajo not Osibanjo! ok?
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by wristbangle: 9:25am On Mar 04, 2017
cptshiver:

3) Make the country an easier place to do business (e.g by removing barriers such as visa)

I agree with your points but this particular point, I think it is necessary to have visa as requirement to do business in another country. Without it, we will have influx of some foreigners manufacturing substandard products and tracing them will be difficult because such policy wasn't on ground before.

What I feel is necessary is to make the visa barrier more flexible for genuine investors.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by cptshiver: 9:31am On Mar 04, 2017
wristbangle:

I agree with your points but this particular point, I think it is necessary to have visa as requirement to do business in another country. Without it, we will have influx of some foreigners manufacturing substandard products and tracing them will be difficult because such policy wasn't on ground before.

What I feel is necessary is to make the visa barrier more flexible for genuine investors.

You can be selective in removing visa barriers. There's nothing wrong with an influx of swiss//german//british//american//japan immigrants etc.

This is how you introduce valid technical skills into a country that lacks it.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 04, 2017
They would need to increase import duties and outright ban some items from being imported to prevent indiscriminate importation.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Youngzedd(m): 9:33am On Mar 04, 2017
Seems our CBN is going gaga.
Using the foreign reserve to defend the Naira is a short term measure which isn't the best step to take now.

The question is, how long will they continue to defend the Naira for a country that solely depends on oil for forex.

China defended yaun with $1Trillion and nothing changed in a long term.

They shouldn't deplete the reserve on their quest to defend the Naira.

This our country nawaa.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by futurism: 9:35am On Mar 04, 2017
oyinkinola:

...stop nonsense, it's Osinbajo not Osibanjo! ok?
fork off. I don't know about your miserable existence!!!
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Youngzedd(m): 9:36am On Mar 04, 2017
stagger:
Russia spent $75billion trying to defend the Ruble in 2015 and the currency still ended that year close to 13% weaker. I don't know where our central bankers get their wisdom from.

Introduce a free float and let us know the true value of the Naira. From that point, we will know it cannot get any worse than it will get.

China defended yaun with $1Trillion and nothing changed.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by 989900: 9:37am On Mar 04, 2017
Production closing in on target (2.2million barrels), @$50+ per barrel CBN can afford it.

We need to harmonize rates to increase Forex inflow from FDI ( that peaked at roughly $10b some 3-4 years ago), and Forex inflow into and through the system from diaspora remittances (that peaked @ $35b last year . . . roughly 3 times our Forex earnings from oil last year).

The weekly interventions will have to be sustained in a 'hit target' mode. The volume is averagely cool, but smarter policies and tweaking here and there would be needed to reap the full effect . . . with accompanying smart policies, it can harmonize to between N300 and N350 or less, in few weeks -- I know how.

To the guy that mentioned Russia, and his co-travelers, shake my head @ you.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by SWORD419(m): 9:42am On Mar 04, 2017
nairaman66:
CBN flexing oil money from the Niger Delta!! They want us to believe that they are working for the Naira.. So much for one Naijiria!!
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by 989900: 9:44am On Mar 04, 2017
NubiLove:
They would need to increase import duties and outright ban some items from being imported to prevent indiscriminate importation.

Correct, increase duties astronomically, then support local alternatives.

Ban in Nigeria mostly creates m/billionaire officers.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by 989900: 9:49am On Mar 04, 2017
DCTrendy:
If we have $29B in reserve, let the government pump about $1B to the market! Yes! 1Billion!

And make the product so available in every corner. Force it down back to the 250 arena. The oil price is already raising and it ll keep going back. It will trade around 89$ by the end of this year. Pamper the milliants and call cows uncle so that they ll allow us to sell the oil in peace.

This can be sustained! If you re hoarding your dollars, you re on your own.

Dangote refinery ll soon be ready, demand for dollar ll be drastically reduced. Several states like Kebbi re planting rice, Dangote Cement is being exported at the moment. Before you know what is happening, people will only need $$ for school fees abroad, PTA and raw materials for the manufacturing firms.

It is very much possible and it ll happen. If you think you re going to keep selling your dollars at N500, u re joking and u will soon be MMMed again.

Cheers.

On the long run (2018-2019), the racketeering bubble will soon burst . . . I think CBN thinks it can continue to intervene for that long, I think they can, but smarter policies and transparency are needed for full effect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by oyinkinola: 9:55am On Mar 04, 2017
futurism:
fork off. I don't know about your miserable existence!!!
...you can't know and you can never see it, because I've resigned from that stupid age....youth age!
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by bigtt76(f): 9:58am On Mar 04, 2017
@embolden... Wrong assumption. The dollar is universal and cannot expire or lose its value against the local currency.

The hoarders would persevere knowing that the battle being fought by CBN depends largely on her forex reserve.

How long can CBN maintain this battle before it succumbs? Venezuela is now down to last 10 billion dollars. Nigeria is only $19bn richer angry

At this rate its only a matter of time before we find ourselves in similar position. CBN should stop the restrictions and let the dollar float on its own. Arik and others have fallen victim yet they're giving emphasis to school fees SMH

Ibusho:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will this weekend, again, pump more dollars into the foreign exchange market in continuation of its strategy to further strengthen the value of the Naira.

A source in the apex bank, said that the CBN has planned the release of an additional $350 million bringing the total to $570 million in this week alone to further crash the value of the Dollar. Already this has generated panic among currency traders who are yet to recover from the losses some of them have suffered in the last two weeks owing to sharp and sudden appreciation of the Naira. Confirming the development, the Acting Director, Corporate communications, Isaac Okorafor, told our correspondent that, with improving reserve levels, the Bank was determined to continuously make forex available to all genuine customers through their banks

The nation’s foreign reserve hit about $29 billion as at Tuesday, last week, a position that has given comfort to the CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, and his team to massively intervene in the forex market. With the current position, those hoarding the hard currencies would have to quickly off-load to reduce their losses. Informed sources speak of the likelihood of a liquidity glut as banks are beginning to send out salespeople to scout for customers to buy the dollar in an effort to avoid losses arising from the expected further appreciation of the naira. It will be recalled that since last Tuesday the CBN has so far supplied a total of $570 million to the market made up of $80 million for Personal Travel Allowance (PTA), Medicals and school fees, $100 million in wholesale forwards, an additional $350 million planned for injection on Friday or Saturday.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/cbn-pump-350m-forex-market/
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by MENTORCH(m): 10:24am On Mar 04, 2017
toyetade:

Why do we worry too much about Dollar exchange rate. Japanese Yen is 140 to a £, Iranian 40,000 to a pound, Indonesia 16,000 to a pound. The people in these countries are not dying. Instead of using the Foreign reserve to defend the Naira, we should be using that to develop our countries infrastructures- electricity, rail infrastructures, establish good security, good hospital and do everything that we make life easy for a common man. It is then foreigners can come and invest in the country. Defending the naira is only serving some sectional interest like those who pay school fees abroad. How long are we going to be defending the Naira

CBN using our foreign reserves to defend naira is not a waste of money, they auction this dollar and get naira in return which will be injected back into the economy.

3 Likes

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by MENTORCH(m): 10:32am On Mar 04, 2017
bigtt76:
@embolden... Wrong assumption. The dollar is universal and cannot expire or lose its value against the local currency.

The hoarders would persevere knowing that the battle being fought by CBN depends largely on her forex reserve.

How long can CBN maintain this battle before it succumbs? Venezuela is now down to last 10 billion dollars. Nigeria is only $19bn richer angry

At this rate its only a matter of time before we find ourselves in similar position. CBN should stop the restrictions and let the dollar float on its own. Arik and others have fallen victim yet they're giving emphasis to school fees SMH

Venezuela doesn't produce as much barrels as Nigeria does, the only way CBN can lose the battle is if the oil price goes down to 30, but if it remains in its 50s those people hoarding the dollar will lose. As CBN is auctioning the dollar they making profit too and getting billions of naira that will be injected back into the economy.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by MENTORCH(m): 10:34am On Mar 04, 2017
989900:
Production closing in on target (2.2million barrels), @$50+ per barrel CBN can afford it.

We need to harmonize rates to increase Forex inflow from FDI ( that peaked at roughly $10b some 3-4 years ago), and Forex inflow into and through the system (that peaked @ $35b last year . . . roughly 3 times our Forex earnings from oil last year).

The weekly interventions will have to be sustained in a 'hit target' mode. The volume is averagely cool, but smarter policies and tweaking here and there would be needed to reap the full effect . . . with accompanying smart policies, it can harmonize to between N300 and N350 or less, in few weeks -- I know how.

To the guy that mentioned Russia, and his co-travelers, shake my head @ you.

Well said.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by donprinyo(m): 10:40am On Mar 04, 2017
A building built under a poor foundation can never stand no matter hw much money u pump into it. Compared to dis article, this is mere a temporary solution. I pray dat the underworld vampires will not take advantage of this measure.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by gare2510(m): 10:54am On Mar 04, 2017
I will think this is a short term plan, guess initially the plan was to grow our depleted forum reserve to a comfortable point then begin to pump a percentage whatever we then make into the market. Guys Nigeria is too corrupt if we say we will try to grow other sectors of the economy and leave speculators, hardship will kill us before the economy finish growing that is if the speculators allow them to grow with the amount of foreign exchange in their possession. On the other hand, speculators will keep selling their dollars to sustain the policy while CBN tactically withdraws its funding. In summary CBN has started speculating too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by amunites19(m): 11:16am On Mar 04, 2017
If CBN will also be demanding a dollar transactions reports from the banks they gave the dollar to, on who and who they sold their dollar to? I think this will really help.

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 04, 2017
stagger:
Russia spent $75billion trying to defend the Ruble in 2015 and the currency still ended that year close to 13% weaker. I don't know where our central bankers get their wisdom from.

Introduce a free float and let us know the true value of the Naira. From that point, we will know it cannot get any worse than it will get.

They get their economic wisdom from Sai Buhari.
Quote me when it happens: "Naira will crash to 600/$ after Xmas this year"
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Firstcitizen: 11:26am On Mar 04, 2017
abhosts:
Very Hilarious Reading comments. Those making money in dollars are calling it bad policy because it shortens their ration. People can be so self centered.

So you too noticed.

1 Like

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2017
amunites19:
If CBN will also be demanding a dollar transactions reports from the banks they gave the dollar to, on who and who they sold their dollar to? I think this will really help.
lol this guy,
this your eagle eye na dye
if you by chance become president, corrupt citizens and corrupt leaders starve and starve and suffer.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by bigtt76(f): 11:38am On Mar 04, 2017
Trust me, the CBN has a limit it can get to before they succumb.

MENTORCH:

Venezuela doesn't produce as much barrels as Nigeria does, the only way CBN can lose the battle is if the oil price goes down to 30, but if it remains in its 50s those people hoarding the dollar will lose. As CBN is auctioning the dollar they making profit too and getting billions of naira that will be injected back into the economy.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by dumodust(m): 11:57am On Mar 04, 2017
haywire07:

Defend the naira in the interim . So what happens in few weeks time when they need to release such huge fund to defend the naira again and again . Then I'll ask how much will be left in the reserve in the next 2years .

The problem is we are cutting the tree from the top
first sensible statement... more grey matter to your brain
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 04, 2017
Super1Star:
Currency traders, speculators and hoarders are all economic saboteurs and economic terrorists.

The release of such fund will further drop the exchange rate.

With our reserves, CBN can afford to defend the Naira in the interim.

Full liberalisation of of FX will see the economic terrorists taking advantage of the policy to form a cabal that will guide exchange rate to USD 1 to N5,000.

Lol, you naive little boy how long can they keep this up?

except they have some hidden $190 billion reserve somewhere we don't know about this is not feasible.
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 04, 2017
Pumping money should only be a containment as it can't be sustained

What's the long term plan for the economy
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Blue3k(m): 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2017
Nigeria's are too hilarious blaming speculation and capitalism because your stupid economic policies turned your currency into trash.

Did the world tell you fix your money at unsustainable rate?

Did the capitalist tell u to be mono-economy?

Lol look in mirror everyone could see this train wreck coming except your economist...

1 Like

Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by CellTabRepairs: 1:08pm On Mar 04, 2017
Like I wrote previously on the unsustainability of this and in few days Naira lost few of the gains itade again, how sustainable is this ?

Anyway
Remember this; It is not enough to earn & carry about a certificate! That's phase 1. Life is about relevance & providing solutions. Someone right now somewhere is looking for someone who can do something for him/her & get paid! Opportunity Meets with preparation! Is your worth only in that paper certificate even though you hardly have a REAL skill? Therefore; EACH DAY , LET YOUR CAPITAL BE YOUR KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & BARE HANDS!

**Click My Name & View That Resource You Need!**
Don't wait in perpetuity for job invitations after applying! March is here already! The thief you harbour is PROCRASTINATION! Therefore don't wait until the whole year runs out!

Great dreamers don't stay idle at home. They take steps!
Re: CBN To Pump Fresh $350m Into Forex Market Again by Rhea(f): 2:41pm On Mar 04, 2017
Ibusho:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will this weekend, again, pump more dollars into the foreign exchange market in continuation of its strategy to further strengthen the value of the Naira.

A source in the apex bank, said that the CBN has planned the release of an additional $350 million bringing the total to $570 million in this week alone to further crash the value of the Dollar. Already this has generated panic among currency traders who are yet to recover from the losses some of them have suffered in the last two weeks owing to sharp and sudden appreciation of the Naira. Confirming the development, the Acting Director, Corporate communications, Isaac Okorafor, told our correspondent that, with improving reserve levels, the Bank was determined to continuously make forex available to all genuine customers through their banks

The nation’s foreign reserve hit about $29 billion as at Tuesday, last week, a position that has given comfort to the CBN Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, and his team to massively intervene in the forex market. With the current position, those hoarding the hard currencies would have to quickly off-load to reduce their losses. Informed sources speak of the likelihood of a liquidity glut as banks are beginning to send out salespeople to scout for customers to buy the dollar in an effort to avoid losses arising from the expected further appreciation of the naira. It will be recalled that since last Tuesday the CBN has so far supplied a total of $570 million to the market made up of $80 million for Personal Travel Allowance (PTA), Medicals and school fees, $100 million in wholesale forwards, an additional $350 million planned for injection on Friday or Saturday.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/cbn-pump-350m-forex-market/

Are they now printing money like Abacha? cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023 Presidency Fashola Can’t Decide Our Fate —ndigbo / Third Term Agenda: How We Stopped Lawmakers From Collecting ₦50m Bribe – Osoba / Osun Government Reverses Ban On Cross-over Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.