Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,450 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo (741 Views)

$16b Power Projects By Obasanjo: Fact-Sheet $16B Appropriated, $13.5b Released / Jonathan, Sirleaf, Ikpeazu At Obasanjo's 80th Birthday (Photos) / Obasanjo’s 80th Birthday Celebration: 45 Serving And Ex-Presidents To Attend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by robosky02(m): 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2017
Former president Olusegun Obasanjo is celebrating his 80th birthday today, March 5.

Obasanjo has come a long way, making several friends and enemies through the years. He has several politicians seeking him out for advice concerning their ambition.

Many continue to wonder what makes Obasanjo thick and how he manages to get away with things other people would not even dare to try.

As he clocks 80 today, NAIJ.com brings you some of his most memorable quotes.

1. On Buhari's governance

Memorable quotes by Obasanjo
Whatever anybody says, President Buhari has not disappointed me from what I know of him. I also used to think that he is not strong in the area of foreign affairs, but I have realised that he has improved very well. He has actually done his best in the areas where we know him to be strong.

2. On Nigeria's achievement

It is the height of ingratitude for people to say Nigeria has not achieved anything or much as a nation.

3. About him

If you don’t know anything about me at all, go to the village where I was born. I was born by parents that were illiterate. There was no road to the village then. One could not boast of even being known in the next village.

4. On the existence of Nigeria

This is why I continue to say that if there is nothing we have got right since 56 years of our existence, then there is no need for our existence as Nigeria.

5. Nigeria's problem is not the constitution

The problem of Nigeria is not the constitution. There is no constitution that is perfect in as much as it is written by human beings.

6. He does not know his date of birth

I’m not as lucky as some of my peers who know the dates of their birth. What matters to me is that I have chosen a date. If I don’t even know the exact date of my birth, at least I know my age group.

7. PDP is dead

May the fortune of Nigeria never sink like that of the PDP.

8. Fool me once, shame on you

If you deceive me once shame on you because I have trusted you once and you have deceived me, if you deceive me twice shame on me because I have learnt my lessons and you have deceive me and if you deceive me for the third time shame on me because am a compound fool.

9. A swipe at Fani-Kayode

Femi Fani-Kayode is my boy. Provide him food, he will eat and then sing for you. He’s a smart boy.

10. Fighting corruption takes time

Fighting corruption is not a one night affair. Of course there are deep-rooted interests, and if you are going to deal with it, you have to deal with it ruthlessly and consistently. If you deal with it today and you then turn a blind eye tomorrow, it will come back with vengeance.

11. Even Jesus Christ cannot conduct a free and fair election in Nigeria

With all due respect, if Jesus Christ could come to the world and be the chairman of INEC, any election he would conduct will be disputed.

12. When he boasted about remaining in the PDP

I have never left PDP and I will never leave PDP. I rose to become the president of Nigeria on the platform of PDP and for that reason alone, I will remain a card-carrying and ward-active member of PDP for as long as I have to be a political party member.

13. And then, he tore his party card dramatically

I’d rather tear the PDP membership card than sit down and let Jonathan use PDP and corruption to tear my beloved country apart.

14. On the Boko Haram insurgency as excuse for the postponement of 2015 general elections

Boko Haram has been with us since 2009 and now if we said what we have not been able to achieve since 2009 would be achieved in six weeks, all I would say is that God is a God of miracle. God can do anything.

15. Members of the National Assembly are corrupt

Once you are a member, you are co-opted and your mouth is stuffed with rottenness and corruption that you cannot opt out as you go home with not less than N15m a month for a senator and N10m a month for a member of the House of Representatives. The National Assembly is a den of corruption by a gang of unarmed robbers.

16. Nigerian lawmakers are lawbreakers

Our lawmakers are lawbreakers. They are the accused, the prosecutor, the defenders and the judge in their own case. Most of them conduct themselves and believe that they are not answerable to anybody. They are blatant in their misbehaviour, cavalier in their misconduct and arrogant in the misuse of parliamentary immunity as a shield against reprisals for their irresponsible acts of malfeasance and/or outright banditry.

17. God blessed Nigeria

I believe God knew what he was doing when he put oil under our ground. It should be a means to an end.

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
https://www.naij.com/1091832-80th-birthday-17-memorable-quotes-by-obasanjo.html

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by Waspy(m): 6:32pm On Mar 05, 2017
There will definitely be reactions here... Lemme just wait here
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by victor2008(m): 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2017
k
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by jhydebaba(m): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2017
Obasanjo, the great man. Ebora Owu himself. Owo baba Iyabo.

1 million gbosa for you sir.
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by robosky02(m): 6:41pm On Mar 05, 2017
funny moments:

Obasanjo The Footballer

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by robosky02(m): 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2017
2. Obasanjo Using A Selfie Stick

Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by Jabioro: 6:49pm On Mar 05, 2017
Funny and blatantly saying the truth within his capacity..
Re: Olusegun Obasanjo 80th Birthday: 17 Most Memorable Quotes By Obasanjo by ayourbamie: 7:11pm On Mar 05, 2017
No all these Mugabe like quotes there?

(1) (Reply)

Buruji Kashamu Will Never Be Extradited To The US: Senate / Federal Govt Should Give South-east, South-south Equal Share --- Orji Uzor Kalu / The Indivisibility Of Nigeria, The Biafra Agitation, And The Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.