Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (492097 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by kelvyn02: 8:47am On Apr 19, 2017
cumz:
@seyewest, and other 'guru'
This Pta stuff, or is it bta, do you know anything about it?

Hello,PTA means Personal Traveler's allowance and BTA means business traveler's allowance.
You are eligible for anyone (PTA or BTA) up to $4,000 every quarter. This means that you are eligible to get $4,000 at the official bank rate of about N360 = $1 or thereabout.
You would need your flight details and your passport (of course with a valid visa), then you fill the FORM A at the bank and also the request for PTA/BTA. The total duration of the flight must be more than 5 hours. Most people get PTA/BTA because it is cheaper than having to change naira to dollar at the black market rate.

I hope this helps..

Cheers!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 9:58am On Apr 19, 2017
biggie1o2:
@Seyewest please I need your advise.

I have booked my flight on Turkish Airlines to Houston but I intend staying for my hols in Connecticut with a family friend. So this is my plan, on my visa application, I used a hotel in San Antonio as my destination in order to visit the sea world Resort which is almost 4hours drive from the airport. My flight will arrive at 19:05pm. So I do like to know, if booking a hotel close to the airport for just the night and book another for a couple of days at a hotel in San Antonio. but my intention is just to do a night stop and fly to Connecticut the next day. This is just to avoid any possible issues at the POE.

Does this look Okay? Your advice pls.
As far as your destination is Houston I see no issue at all... Have a great trip.

4 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 10:19am On Apr 19, 2017
kelvyn02:

Hello,PTA means Personal Traveler's allowance and BTA means business traveler's allowance.
You are eligible for anyone (PTA or BTA) up to $4,000 every quarter. This means that you are eligible to get $4,000 at the official bank rate of about N360 = $1 or thereabout.
You would need your flight details and your passport (of course with a valid visa), then you fill the FORM A at the bank and also the request for PTA/BTA. The total duration of the flight must be more than 5 hours. Most people get PTA/BTA because it is cheaper than having to change naira to dollar at the black market rate.

I hope this helps..

Cheers!

Thanks bro, it did..
Am on a visit visa, getting as much as 4k usd, isn't that too much?, will my passport be stamped and does the cbp check for money at the poe.. Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by biggie1o2(m): 10:27am On Apr 19, 2017
seyewest:

As far as your destination is Houston I see no issue at all... Have a great trip.

Thanks so much
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by borryworld: 10:34am On Apr 19, 2017
cumz:

Thanks bro, it did..
Am on a visit visa, getting as much as 4k usd, isn't that too much?, will my passport be stamped and does the cbp check for money at the poe.. Thanks
as much as, up to does not mean you much get PTA of $4K. You can do any amount you think is enough.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 11:16am On Apr 19, 2017
borryworld:
as much as, up to does not mean you much get PTA of $4K. You can do any amount you think is enough.

Thank you
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2017
cumz:
@seyewest, and other 'guru'
This Pta stuff, or is it bta, do you know anything about it?
Go to any of your bank and inform them that you will need PTA they will be in better position to put you through.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by fadjnr(m): 12:51pm On Apr 19, 2017
Oga seyewest erm please can one take along body spray of perfume?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 1:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
seyewest:
Go to any of your bank and inform them that you will need PTA they will be in better position to put you through.

Thanks bro
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2017
fadjnr:
Yes but it must be in your checked luggage... I'm not sure they will allow it in your hand luggage.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by borryworld: 6:49pm On Apr 19, 2017
borryworld:
@seyewest

Please. I need direction on how visa appointment should be scheduled for 2 kids btw 5 and 2 years old. Father and Mother have valid visas (won't expire soon) already. Thanks
I was able to get a response from the customer support. The required method is to create a profile for one of the kid and add the other(s) as dependant(s)/family/part of the group under item 6. By this,the all can schedule an appointment as a unit.
Note: They will be accompanied by either of the parent

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ark4sunshine(m): 4:59am On Apr 20, 2017
Have been a silent follower on nairaland for a long time and i must say that it has really helped me in getting my F1 visa approval last month. I am glad to be on a thread like this. My question goes thus:

(1) i will be resuming school mid august at a CC in Michigan and i plan leaving probably the first week of august, i checked for flights going to MI is a bit expensive so i got a 1-way ticket on Royal Air Maroc to JFK and would be taking a bus from NY to MI via Greyhound. I hope this doesnt bring any redflag at the POE and what are the likely questions one could be asked at the POE as a first time traveller to the US. NOTE: I got a 1-way ticket because its a 2years course and ticket would have lapsed by the time am completing the course.

(2) can i get my PTA from Gtbank now during this month of april or wait till around July to get it. Just thinking bank might not want to sell out till its time for me to leave.

@seyewest. Thanks for this thread. Have learnt alot on this forum from other people's experience as well.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by nefertitiram: 6:35am On Apr 20, 2017
cumz:

Thanks bro, it did..

Have you gotten your visa already?
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 8:45am On Apr 20, 2017
nefertitiram:

Have you gotten your visa already?
Yes!
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 10:44am On Apr 20, 2017
ark4sunshine:
Have been a silent follower on nairaland for a long time and i must say that it has really helped me in getting my F1 visa approval last month. I am glad to be on a thread like this. My question goes thus:

(1) i will be resuming school mid august at a CC in Michigan and i plan leaving probably the first week of august, i checked for flights going to MI is a bit expensive so i got a 1-way ticket on Royal Air Maroc to JFK and would be taking a bus from NY to MI via Greyhound. I hope this doesnt bring any redflag at the POE and what are the likely questions one could be asked at the POE as a first time traveller to the US. NOTE: I got a 1-way ticket because its a 2years course and ticket would have lapsed by the time am completing the course.

(2) can i get my PTA from Gtbank now during this month of april or wait till around July to get it. Just thinking bank might not want to sell out till its time for me to leave.

@seyewest. Thanks for this thread. Have learnt alot on this forum from other people's experience as well.

First of all you must check with the embassy if it's alright to get a One(1) way ticket to U.S and whatever they say will be what you will have to do.. although you can still reach them and let them know if you can get a one way ticket and give a reason.
Most bank will give you PTA a week or 2 before your intended trip.

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ekpotek: 12:47pm On Apr 20, 2017
ark4sunshine:

1. As a student on a 2 year course. Getting a one way ticket is normal. The CBP will only be interested in confirming your admission and maybe school fees payment.

2. If you have all the necessary document go ahead and apply for your PTA now.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ekpotek: 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2017
cumz:

Thanks bro, it did..

The POE may randomly asked how much cash are you carrying. You only need to declare your cash if it's more than $10000. In case they ask just tell them the amount of cash you are carrying.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ekpotek: 12:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
biggie1o2:
@Seyewest please I need your advise.

I have booked my flight on Turkish Airlines to Houston but I intend staying for my hols in Connecticut with a family friend. So this is my plan, on my visa application, I used a hotel in San Antonio as my destination in order to visit the sea world Resort which is almost 4hours drive from the airport. My flight will arrive at 19:05pm. So I do like to know, if booking a hotel close to the airport for just the night and book another for a couple of days at a hotel in San Antonio. but my intention is just to do a night stop and fly to Connecticut the next day. This is just to avoid any possible issues at the POE.

Does this look Okay? Your advice pls.

Perfectly okay!! You also decide to sleep at the airport too.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by cumz(m): 1:06pm On Apr 20, 2017
ekpotek:

The POE may randomly asked how much cash are you carrying. You only need to declare your cash if it's more than $10000. In case they ask just tell them the amount of cash you are carrying.

Thank you very much
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by oluok123: 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2017
pls house I need where I can book for onarrival flight ticket from new york to baltimore maryland thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ark4sunshine(m): 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2017
ekpotek:

1. As a student on a 2 year course. Getting a one way ticket is normal. The CBP will only be interested in confirming your admission and maybe school fees payment.

2. If you have all the necessary document go ahead and apply for your PTA now.

@ekpotek. Thanks for this information.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ark4sunshine(m): 6:43pm On Apr 20, 2017
seyewest:

First of all you must check with the embassy if it's alright to get a One(1) way ticket to U.S and whatever they say will be what you will have to do.. although you can still reach them and let them know if you can get a one way ticket and give a reason.
Most bank will give you PTA a week or 2 before your intended trip.

@seyewest. I confirmed about the ticket already. Thanks a lot.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 7:08pm On Apr 20, 2017
oluok123:
pls house I need where I can book for onarrival flight ticket from new york to baltimore maryland thanks
skyscanner or expedia

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by noblehse(m): 8:27pm On Apr 20, 2017
seyewest:
since it's a B1/B2 visa you can fly to San fran but be ready to defend why you couldn't attend the birthday

Landed safely in L.A.X airport yesterday around 10.30am (USA time) yesterday after 2stopover in Addis Ababa & Dublin with Ethopian airline,got down the plane & moved to biometric self kiosk for my finger print,passport scan & picture taking.After which I was directed to the POE fast track leaving over 100 passengers who can't use the self service machine for reason I don't know,
Cbp: hello,good morning
Me:morning,removing my glasses
Cbp: collect my passport & receipt from the biometric machine,then scan my passport
Cbp:what kind of food do you have
Me: Garri & peanut
Cbp: stamped my passport and welcome to U.S.& call the next passenger on queue
Me:thks

Cbp2 custom:what type of food do you have
Me:gari & peanut
Cbp2: you can go
Me: Procceding to terminal 7 for my connecting 1hr 20min flight with United to my final destination San Francisco,although I miss the flight but was immediately re-booked for the next flight for 1.40pm.

All in All I want to say my experience at POE in L.A.X is the easiest for the years with P.O.E experience.all the five nigerian on queue got the same treatment just like me.
Enjoying my stay
Cheers

13 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Harberdy: 1:16pm On Apr 21, 2017
GTB don't give student with a one way Ticket PTA.i don't think the understand how the rules apply to student.I got my PTA with a one way ticket from UBA.Go to any UBA branch with your Passport,Valid Visa,Your Oneway Ticket and your Admission Letter.Fill the Form A.You must have a minimum balance of N1,440,000 in your UBA bank acct.360x$4000.After verification,You would be called to come and collect your money.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Lrmush(m): 2:45pm On Apr 21, 2017
Good day house, have a question, got a b1/b2 visa since feb with my grandma, we ought to travle together by 25th of feb buh she couldn't make it dur to her health, can i travle alone? Would it be an issue at the poe? Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 3:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
Lrmush:
Good day house, have a question, got a b1/b2 visa since feb with my grandma, we ought to travle together by 25th of feb buh she couldn't make it dur to her health, can i travle alone? Would it be an issue at the poe? Thanks

Explain why you couldn't make it as at the time you filled in your form and reason why Grandma is not with you that is if they even ask you.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by KaptainAfrika: 5:14pm On Apr 21, 2017
If this is your first time of travelling, I would recommend waiting for your grandma. Just to be on the safe side. But if you will miss the purpose for the trip, you can travel alone and reasonably explain why you had to to go without Grannie. What do you think?

Lrmush:

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Lrmush(m): 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
Thanks a whole lot, its my first time. You guys give life saving informations.
KaptainAfrika:
If this is your first time of travelling, I would recommend waiting for your grandma. Just to be on the safe side. But if you will miss the purpose for the trip, you can travel alone and reasonably explain why you had to to go without Grannie. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Ess: 11:20pm On Apr 21, 2017
noblehse:

Landed safely in L.A.X airport yesterday around 10.30am (USA time) yesterday after 2stopover in Addis Ababa & Dublin with Ethopian airline,got down the plane & moved to biometric self kiosk for my finger print,passport scan & picture taking.After which I was directed to the POE fast track leaving over 100 passengers who can't use the self service machine for reason I don't know,
Cbp: hello,good morning
Me:morning,removing my glasses
Cbp: collect my passport & receipt from the biometric machine,then scan my passport
Cbp:what kind of food do you have
Me: Garri & peanut
Cbp: stamped my passport and welcome to U.S.& call the next passenger on queue
Me:thks

Cbp2 custom:what type of food do you have
Me:gari & peanut
Cbp2: you can go
Me: Procceding to terminal 7 for my connecting 1hr 20min flight with United to my final destination San Francisco,although I miss the flight but was immediately re-booked for the next flight for 1.40pm.

All in All I want to say my experience at POE in L.A.X is the easiest for the years with P.O.E experience.all the five nigerian on queue got the same treatment just like me.
Enjoying my stay
Cheers

I used the airport in 2014 too with wifey, it was easy breezy tho i had more than $10k so i had to go through secondary inspection.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by krissein: 7:57am On Apr 22, 2017
Hi guys,

I was in the US from September 2016 to February 2017 spending almost 5 months after my passport was stamped for the standard 6 months even though I said I was staying for about a month.

I plan to travel this year with my wife and son. Any suggestions as to what to expect from POE regarding my long stay last time?

Thanks
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by krissein: 8:00am On Apr 22, 2017
fadjnr:

Perfumes allowed in cabin but must be in bottle not exceeding 100ml, sprays not allowed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.